PDA

View Full Version : character creation

kimba
April 24th, 2007, 18:18
I was at home last night playing with my latest greates toy. FGII... when I was making a character. I got as far as selecting feats.
I could creat new lines, but could not drag and drop feats over to the list - nor could I add teh specials -
I could type them in, but could not drag and drop.
typing them in seemed to make no difference in the overall character sheet.
I was making a Monk.

1. are feats supposed to be drag and drop
2. is this just a static field where you can put anything you want.
3. if it is supposed to be drag and drop certain feats change things for the character, is this automatic or do you have to do this manually?

Honduras
April 24th, 2007, 18:21
I think everything feat, ability and inventory related is manual. Spells are drag and drop though.

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 20:13
I'm with kimba. Now that they have added a list of feats to the default ruleset and have a decent sized area for them, I would like to be able to drag and drop them like the spells.

Ricboy
April 25th, 2007, 03:49
I have another questions concerning character creation... in the weapon section, it seems that the only way to fill the damage section is by draging a dice on it, am I right? If so, how an I enter a 1d3 dice in the damage for a dagger? If not, the question is still open, how?

Griogre
April 25th, 2007, 04:24
Yes you need to drag a die in. To do this right click and hold on the d6. At 11 o'clock on the raidal menu you will see "custom die" then drag up to d3. You will in up with a d6 on your cursor. Drop it in the weapon section. Bear in mind the die being roll is actually a d6 like in a face to face game but the progrom will convert the damage to 1-3 in the chat window.

JMOxx75
April 25th, 2007, 19:12
How do you account for different damage dice for different size targets. A long sword has a d6/d8 damage die but you can only have a single damage die value in the box. Also what are the two little boxes beneath the damage die for?

The High Druid
April 25th, 2007, 19:28
Well generally your character is only one size (unless you play with polymorphing or similar effects) so you'll only need the d6 or the d8, not both, and even if you do need both you could have entries for Longsword (Medium) and Longsword (Small). The boxes below are for the crit stats e.g. 19-20 and x2. This second bit got me at first until I realised that the labelling was a bit funny and the box to the right of the damage dice is actually for the damage modifier and the crits go below.

Edit: Ah hold on I think I understand the confusion here. The d6 (small) and d8 (medium) damage for a longsword is based on the size of the character holding the weapon, not the enemy you are hitting with it. So for a medium character a longsword is always d8 damage no matter who you hit with it. The different damage against different sized targets was scrapped when 3rd edition came out.

richvalle
April 25th, 2007, 20:01
He might be talking about an older version of DnD where weapons did different amounts of damage depending on the size of the TARGET.

If so, FG is really written for D20 DnD. Someone would have to make a ruleset that built that in.

Best thing I can think of is to use different hotkeys for the damage: 1 for med sized targets and 1 for large.

Same for size of weapons in D20 really. Or use more then one weapon slot.

rv

joshuha
April 25th, 2007, 20:06
Or have 2 die control fields under a column heading for the 2 sizes.

richvalle
April 25th, 2007, 20:13
Or have 2 die control fields under a column heading for the 2 sizes.

Yeah... that would be the ruleset thing I was talking about above.

:)

rv

symmetrian
April 25th, 2007, 23:44
How do you account for different damage dice for different size targets. A long sword has a d6/d8 damage die but you can only have a single damage die value in the box. Also what are the two little boxes beneath the damage die for?

No one mentioned this to you specifically, so I thought I should: the damage die are for the size of the wielder, *not* the target.

tumbleweed
April 26th, 2007, 00:53
I couldn't type anything into any of the character slots. Did i miss something on install. All I was able to do was drop numbers into places. I couldn't type a name or class or anything. HELP!!

Deuce
April 26th, 2007, 01:02
No one mentioned this to you specifically, so I thought I should: the damage die are for the size of the wielder, *not* the target.

Actually in D&D 1st & 2nd edition the damage dice for were based on the size of the target. This may be the ruleset where the example comes from.

Could also be refering to Hackmaster, which also uses damage vs target size.

JMOxx75
April 26th, 2007, 01:09

Ah I guess I'm special ed. lol. I haven't played much with 3.0 and not at all with 3.5. I missed that change completely.

symmetrian
April 26th, 2007, 01:50
Actually in D&D 1st & 2nd edition the damage dice for were based on the size of the target. This may be the ruleset where the example comes from.

Could also be refering to Hackmaster, which also uses damage vs target size.

Is that right? Honestly, I had been under the same misconception for quite a while myself. I played the bejesus out of 2nd ed. Could be what confused me as well. hehe.

Ricboy
April 26th, 2007, 02:57
Another question here, is there anyway I can just drag and drop the weapons on the character sheet or I have to type it manually? Because we have the module available but is there a way to drag from it?

Griogre
April 26th, 2007, 03:35
You have to type them in. I suppect as time goes on more and more items will be drag and droppable.

Ricboy
April 26th, 2007, 04:12
Thanks, again your the man who seems to answer all the questions lol

tumbleweed
April 26th, 2007, 11:48
nevermind.

kimba
April 26th, 2007, 20:17
Is that right? Honestly, I had been under the same misconception for quite a while myself. I played the bejesus out of 2nd ed. Could be what confused me as well. hehe.

NOw I have started playing AD&D a long long time ago. and in my campaign - 3.5 we ran into this and I must say even my rules lawyer did not know this. I cant wait to spring it on him next time we play
MU oo ah ah!:pirate:

Ricboy
April 27th, 2007, 03:59
Another question I have on character creation... is there a way in the spell list to identify the spell "known" wich is diferent of spell "per day"? Just wandering?

Griogre
April 27th, 2007, 07:15
You mean like spells known by Sorcerers? If you click the mouse over the book in the top left of the spellbook you can toggle between wizard like and sorcerer like settings.

Ricboy
April 27th, 2007, 14:06
I mean spell known by a sorcere... there is a maximum of spells that a sorcerer can know which is diferent then the number of spells he can cast per day, where do I note this? nowehere?

Griogre
April 27th, 2007, 18:46
Yes you can note them. Let me give you a step by step.
1) Go to the Spells tab.
2) Click the book at the top left. The icon will change from a book to a star.
3) Under the numbers set the number of spells you can cast per day.
4) Open the d20 spell book in the library (you may need to select the d20 spells module first).
5) Click the Wizard/Sorcerer spells.
6) Drag and Drop the spells *known* from the spell list onto the spells page above the bottom line.
7) To play Uncheck "Preparation mode" at the bottom left.

kimba
April 28th, 2007, 00:15
any word on getting items lists into the system? I understood Goblin King to say this was missed but would be a future update. but other things I read may have disputed this.
what did we learn so far on this? will it bee a new book we can add? That would be very cool!