PDA

View Full Version : I bought Fantasy Grounds Classic on Steam before I knew about Unity

Donrae2007
July 12th, 2020, 04:03
I bought Fantasy Grounds Classic on Steam before I knew about Unity. Anyway to upgrade or convert over to Unity. Really don't want to buy a whole new system.

Moon Wizard
July 12th, 2020, 04:06
If has been less than 2 hours of play time, Steam will automatically refund any purchase. If it has been longer (but less than 30 days), you can still ask for a refund and ask them to ask us to approve. (Not sure on their official policy after 2 hours play time, but sooner is better.)

Otherwise, we are working towards a FGU release on Steam, but we don't quite have all the pieces in place yet. We'll make an announcement when it is available both here and in the newsletter.

Please note that FGU is still Early Access, and has known issues including networking issues. We are recommending that anyone who is sensitive to week-to-week issues hold off on FGU until full release.

Regards,
JPG

Donrae2007
July 12th, 2020, 04:10
Yeah I've owned it about 2 or 3 weeks now, probably will have to wait until the unity comes out on Steam I guess.

Donrae2007
July 12th, 2020, 04:14
Silly question though, but why are they not compatible with each other?

damned
July 12th, 2020, 04:22
The DLC for FGC works with FGU and I think the Steam platform currently doesnt understand that.

jdunlap
July 12th, 2020, 05:26
And if the question is about why Unity and Classic cannot communicate with each other, it is likely due to using Unity. Unity has built-in networking that makes development much easier and faster for the devs that works in its own way. Classic was most likely written by rolling their own networking procedures or by using a library that did it for them. Either way, the network packets from Classic would be formed differently than packets in Unity. Not really much the devs would be able to do about that other than to write their own networking code for Unity which would be more error-prone and cost more time to maintain, taking away from other tasks.

Duumahnu
July 12th, 2020, 21:09
Will the moduals you bought for Classic work in unity or will I have to buy all my moduals over again for the new unity system?

Thanks!

Duum

Duumahnu
July 12th, 2020, 23:25
Just saw damed post above... looks like my moduals will transfer over. Cant wait for the release of unity!

Duum

jdunlap
July 13th, 2020, 03:04
I just recently purchased Unity and ran a session today using it with an old module I had from Classic. Most things work, but I will tell you that there are some text issues at times.

They are discussed in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54871-Font-Character-issues-in-FGU

Duumahnu
July 13th, 2020, 16:13
Aye. I got the demo of unity to test and I was able to see my steam purchases so I have seen it with my own eyes working. Agreed with the text issue... saw a couple of them as well... nothing misspelled, but incorrect words in the sentence so spell check would not have caught it. Unity is a great programming platform though. I hope they work out the networking things and such. It looks very promising.

Duum

Sulimo
July 13th, 2020, 16:42
The specific issue that jdunlap posted about will need to be resolved on a case by case basis.

The issue is that FGC could use text encoding that used windows-1252 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252) (specifically characters 127 through 159) encoding instead of ISO-8859-1 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1) which is what FGU supports (even though technically FGC only supported ISO-8859-1, it allowed Windows-1252 encoding). Windows-1252 has extra characters that are not in ISO-8859-1, so if those characters are used, you will see the behavior that you see in that screen shot, the specific characters in that screen shot that are problematic are 145-148, changing them to ISO-8859-1 22 and 27 (or the equivlent XML coding as kevininrussia did) will resolve that particular issue. However, it has to be done inside the module xml.

Previous discussion here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53438-Special-characters-issue-found-in-Crypt-of-the-Sun-Lord) and here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59715-Font-issue-discrepancy-between-Classic-and-Unity).

If the module in question is one from the Fantasy Grounds store, please post the module name so that the devs can see it, and get into the lost of items to be fixed.

If the module was purchased at a 3rd party site, please let that author know so that they can fix the font issue.

Trenloe
July 13th, 2020, 17:22
SmiteWorks are looking into a central solution to identifying and fixing the FGU character issue across all products.

jdunlap
July 15th, 2020, 07:34
I was speaking more of in-module issues such as certain characters being replaced by squares. It really breaks immersion during the game for modules that have not been updated for Unity. (Some of which may never be.) It actually even happens in an adventure that I own that says on the store page that it is compatible with Fantasy Grounds Unity. It works, other than messed up text in the story.

Sulimo
July 15th, 2020, 17:14
I was speaking more of in-module issues such as certain characters being replaced by squares. It really breaks immersion during the game for modules that have not been updated for Unity. (Some of which may never be.) It actually even happens in an adventure that I own that says on the store page that it is compatible with Fantasy Grounds Unity. It works, other than messed up text in the story.

Would you mind posting which module?

I am sure the devs would like to know what it is to get it fixed. The fix is not super difficult (I imagine they can do a search and replace), but with 1700+ items in the store, I am sure it would be helpful if you could say which one it is.

jdunlap
July 15th, 2020, 17:19
Sorry, I hadn’t seen all of the intervening responses. We are currently playing the Hell’s Rebels Adventure Path and are on Module 2.

lokiare
July 15th, 2020, 17:51
Sorry, I hadn’t seen all of the intervening responses. We are currently playing the Hell’s Rebels Adventure Path and are on Module 2.

Can you provide screenshots or locations for each of the ones you've found?

Also have you tried reverting the module?

jdunlap
July 15th, 2020, 18:53
I can't provide screenshots for all of them without posting the entire contents which would likely be viewed as a copyright violation. Here are nine screenshots that would hopefully illustrate the problem and how pervasive it is.

jdunlap
July 15th, 2020, 18:55
Apparently, the forums will only allow five images in a post:

jdunlap
July 15th, 2020, 18:56
And what do you mean by "revert" the module?

jdunlap
July 15th, 2020, 19:04
Okay, I found the "Revert Changes" by right-clicking. It didn't fix it. I also deleted the module from my vault and redownloaded. Still has the issues.

lokiare
July 16th, 2020, 17:11
Okay, I found the "Revert Changes" by right-clicking. It didn't fix it. I also deleted the module from my vault and redownloaded. Still has the issues.

Thanks, earlier I meant some example screenshots of the issues. We will get this taken care of soon. The delay is that we have to go through our entire catalog and replace these characters.

lokiare
July 16th, 2020, 22:25
Thanks, earlier I meant some example screenshots of the issues. We will get this taken care of soon. The delay is that we have to go through our entire catalog and replace these characters.

I've pushed a fixed version to TEST. Please take a look at it and let us know if the issue is resolved.

jdunlap
July 19th, 2020, 22:10
Sorry it took a bit. The text issues do seem to be fixed. Thanks for the quick response!

jdunlap
July 19th, 2020, 23:29
After spending more time looking at it, I have found the following areas have remaining issues:

2.02 Mission I:Into the Holding House
Kintargo Rumors Table (1st Row Only)

I believe I have looked through all of the entries and could only find those two.

aribethdm
July 20th, 2020, 18:13
well FGClassic is a great and powerful tool for both the DM and the players. I love FG Classic. I am expecting more advance in the UNITY version which I know will be amazing

jdunlap
July 20th, 2020, 18:28
well FGClassic is a great and powerful tool for both the DM and the players. I love FG Classic. I am expecting more advance in the UNITY version which I know will be amazing

I think it already is amazing!

Mattkilt
July 29th, 2020, 19:59
If has been less than 2 hours of play time, Steam will automatically refund any purchase. If it has been longer (but less than 30 days), you can still ask for a refund and ask them to ask us to approve. (Not sure on their official policy after 2 hours play time, but sooner is better.)

Otherwise, we are working towards a FGU release on Steam, but we don't quite have all the pieces in place yet. We'll make an announcement when it is available both here and in the newsletter.

Please note that FGU is still Early Access, and has known issues including networking issues. We are recommending that anyone who is sensitive to week-to-week issues hold off on FGU until full release.

Regards,
JPG

Do we have any updates or information on how close we are to the Steam FGC/FGU compatibility issue to be resolved? I know they were working on sorting out the issue so we can upgrade, but haven't been any communications at all on how long we should expect it to be.

Moon Wizard
July 30th, 2020, 22:38
No updates yet. We tend not to announce releases, until we are only a short way out from release. This avoids setting bad expectations, since there are invariably delays in most software development. Also, we want to make sure that we minimize issues at release, so we're erring on the side of improving and fixing, instead of releasing as fast as possible.

Regards,
JPG