PDA

View Full Version : Large list loading time

mattekure
July 7th, 2020, 21:58
Whatever you did in the update today, it MASSIVELY improved the loading time for large lists. My syrinscape library has a bit over 27,000 entries in it, and it loaded in under 4 seconds. It used to take 10 minutes or so.

thank you!!!

cevikd
July 7th, 2020, 22:00
I was just coming here to say the same thing. It's a HUGE difference. Nice job!

kevininrussia
July 7th, 2020, 22:05
Yep, same here. I dont want to jinx it but all my large data lists are being accessed way faster. Some of my NPC modules and Power modules for 4E was taking 5+ minutes to access. Now after module activation (which still takes some time) access to the data is about a second. Woohoo!

Vigilance
July 7th, 2020, 22:16
Have a game tonight so that is going to be great.

Dakadin
July 7th, 2020, 22:56
It fixes the performance issues in the RMC ruleset also.

LordEntrails
July 7th, 2020, 23:50
Sorry all, you must be mistaken. Not possible that performance has imporved so much. Moon said it would only slightly improve...

Lua API rebuilt with a new approach that should slightly improve UI delays.

Gotta admire the understatement :)

Dakadin
July 8th, 2020, 00:16
True but I consider it a slight improvement for each item so it adds up. :D

cevikd
July 8th, 2020, 01:01
Sorry all, you must be mistaken. Not possible that performance has imporved so much. Moon said it would only slightly improve...

Gotta admire the understatement :)

Under promise over deliver to the extreme! :)

Vigilance
July 8th, 2020, 04:15
The game was a success and it was smooth. everything was opening quickly and no lag at all for my 5E game.

fubeca150
July 8th, 2020, 14:59
Wow! This is so much nicer and faster! Whatever you changed definitely did the trick.

It had been so bad when we were using a lot of lists a couple weeks ago for a new campaign that I was about to suggest that the implementation felt like it was creating UI cells for every element and to try using a virtual list style approach instead. Interesting that it had been a LUA issue instead - I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever use LUA as a scripting layer in something.

Thank you so much for addressing this!

4wire
July 8th, 2020, 15:25
Woah! Awesome work!

Vigilance
July 8th, 2020, 17:05
I just tried Starfinder and everything is running smooth and works great.

Neovirtus
July 8th, 2020, 18:01
Agreed, I fired up my server to test things are the update and immediately noticed the difference. I have a stress test campaign that loads all my most intensive modules - including many many NPC records: MM, VGtM, Creature Compendium, Tome of Beasts, etc, nearly 2000 records. Before it would take 10-15 seconds, which I know isn't as bad as what some of you were experiencing, but now it loads instantly! Fantastic improvement.

Kordin
July 9th, 2020, 00:39
off topic a sec. ( although, umm. YES. i see a huge difference as well. I would click on NPC or Spells and it would take quite some time. it is now under the 4 seconds for me as well. all but ITEMS. Items seems to take around 6 secs. ) anyways, i have seen a couple times that folks say how many records they are loading. How would i find this info for myself please?

mattekure
July 9th, 2020, 01:10
off topic a sec. ( although, umm. YES. i see a huge difference as well. I would click on NPC or Spells and it would take quite some time. it is now under the 4 seconds for me as well. all but ITEMS. Items seems to take around 6 secs. ) anyways, i have seen a couple times that folks say how many records they are loading. How would i find this info for myself please?

You can easily get a rough estimate for the number of records loaded. Set the group to All and note the number of pages listed. FG displays lists in groups of 100 so the you can just multiply to get a as rough number. For example 3 pages means somewhere between 201-300 entries. 6 pages means somewhere between 501-600 entries.

Kordin
July 9th, 2020, 01:13
Thank You.

StoryWeaver
July 9th, 2020, 01:15
Amazing!

This was the main performance issue for myself by a long shot. This rewrite has dramatically improved response times all across FG, ranging from opening tables, to character sheets, NPC's, combat tracker, story entries, the list goes on!
You deserve a break after this, as this was a breakthrough! :D

ps. Only thing left now on the performance side as far as I'm concerned is to stop the client freezing up for 3-5 seconds until becoming responsive again, after alt tabbing out of the application to do background DM work.
But I can live with that for a bit longer, this change has made working in FG massively more enjoyable again, thank you!