PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation Module

MxWolfie192
July 6th, 2020, 07:42
I created a module that will "walk" you through character creation using story elements, roll tables, links in the tables, etc. I don't have psionic/prisoner in yet, and I'm sure it has errors/bugs still in it. If you do use it and find some kind of incorrect information, misspelling, etc. let me know so I can fix it and upload an update.

It appears there are errors when using this in FG classic. I made this in Unity and some of the dice appear to turn into D12s instead of D6s when it is used in FG Classic. I am unsure of anything I could do to fix this issue and do not plan to fix it for classic.

Update 1:
Updated the module to change some formatting. Still have more updating to do.
Added the prisoner career, still have to add psionic.

Update 2:
Added psionics and tried to make all the various screens consistent across careers in terms of layout. Added additional information buttons to show information about advancement, qualifications, etc.

Update 3:
Just added a simple thumbnail.

Update 4:
Added table and info for rolling medical bill reductions when serving in different careers and getting injured.

Update 5:
Added the pre-careers from Traveller Companion.

MadBeardMan
July 6th, 2020, 15:28
This is excellent stuff.

At some future point, a Character Builder might happen but that depends on many factors, until then continue with this. If you need any help from me on anything, just ask.

Cheers,
MBM

Guzalot
July 6th, 2020, 17:08
Awesome, thanks! I'll be using this to walk some Traveller newbies through character creation in the next couple of weeks and will let you know of any bugs I find.

MxWolfie192
July 7th, 2020, 02:19
Been slowing making a second pass on everything to update for uniformity and try to catch fringe cases (rolling injury tables for events that you can get injured in for example) Been putting in links to info sheets for things like what survival means, advancement, benefits, etc. Will post an updated version of the module once I finish that. I added prisoner, still need to add the draft and psionic.

RustyInRT
July 7th, 2020, 04:29
I would suggest adding a thumbnail to your module. It took me a while to find it in the library before I realized the thumbnail was blank.

RustyInRT
July 7th, 2020, 04:58
It looks like it is rolling a D12 on the characteristics table rather than 2 D6. I have rolled a 1 on multiple occasions. Am I doing something wrong?

MxWolfie192
July 7th, 2020, 09:04
It is definitely rolling 2d6 every time I test it. If it is rolling 1d12 on your end I'm not really sure what to do for ya. Maybe someone else can replicate it and it can be figure out though. I'll add a thumbnail soon, I was still working on getting it actually finishes first.

smogzy
July 8th, 2020, 01:17
It's also rolling d12 here for some reason

MxWolfie192
July 8th, 2020, 02:32
Yeah, I'm not sure why. When I download the module and use the dice roller I get 2D6.

RustyInRT
July 8th, 2020, 05:05
A 1, three 2's, a 7, and an 8. Would hate to play this guy.

Edit: OK, just discovered it works as advertised in Unity, 6 rolls of 2 D6s. In FG Classic, 6 rolls of 1 D12.

Hope this helps.

MxWolfie192
July 8th, 2020, 05:25
Did y'all update? Because I legit have no clue why its translating to 1d12 for you folks but even when I download it as a module from the forum and test it I always get 2d6.

MxWolfie192
July 8th, 2020, 05:31
AHHH, That would it then. I made it specifically in Unity. I'll add that to the top post.

esmdev
July 8th, 2020, 14:47
I updated the community expansions thread to indicate that this is a FGU only module. Let me know if that changes.

Sylvesr
August 3rd, 2020, 03:19
How does one use this? Drop it in which folder?

MxWolfie192
August 3rd, 2020, 04:58
It's a module, so the modules folder in fantasy grounds. Then load it like any other module by activating it from the library.

Sylvesr
September 6th, 2020, 14:19
It's a module, so the modules folder in fantasy grounds. Then load it like any other module by activating it from the library.

HOLY MOLLY! I was finally able to load and tinker with this Mod. WOW. Well done. I am loving it. I am editing a few minor bits to customize it to my campaign style and am thrilled with this tool. Smashing job.

MxWolfie192
April 26th, 2021, 02:40
So, I am very slowly re-working this entire module. I have no promises on when it will be finished, or if I will even be able to due to my current life schedule, but I'm adding in more "automation" in the way of story elements and roll tables. Should be a bit easier to use, cutting out some of the bloat, adding in more information that some friends brought to my attention that I had either completely omitted or put in the wrong information, etc. Once its to an actually useable position I'll add it along side the original on the start of this thread.

GregRex
April 26th, 2021, 11:56
Exciting stuff MxWolfie192, this was a feature request that recently came up at our last symposium.

MxWolfie192
December 23rd, 2021, 21:32
Just wanted to update everyone that I am still working on this project but it is VERY slow going. I decided with the release of the remade core book to use that as my source material and limit myself to the core rulebook for the remake just due to the limited time I'm able to devote. I also found out I have ADHD that was undiagnosed (and being self medicated) for a long time and dealing with that along with other personal issues has limited my time to devote to this project. I often go long periods of time forgetting I'm even working on this then will have periods where I make a ton of progress. ADHD is not really all that fun to deal with and figuring out ways to cope with it while trying to figure out medications that work and don't interact with my OTHER medications (because I can't go off the other medications for life saving reasons) or that don't leave me with panic attacks or other mental health issues has been a nightmare. Thankfully I have supportive friends and partners who have been helping me out physically and emotionally with all of this going on.

MadBeardMan
December 29th, 2021, 16:49
Just wanted to update everyone that I am still working on this project but it is VERY slow going. I decided with the release of the remade core book to use that as my source material and limit myself to the core rulebook for the remake just due to the limited time I'm able to devote. I also found out I have ADHD that was undiagnosed (and being self medicated) for a long time and dealing with that along with other personal issues has limited my time to devote to this project. I often go long periods of time forgetting I'm even working on this then will have periods where I make a ton of progress. ADHD is not really all that fun to deal with and figuring out ways to cope with it while trying to figure out medications that work and don't interact with my OTHER medications (because I can't go off the other medications for life saving reasons) or that don't leave me with panic attacks or other mental health issues has been a nightmare. Thankfully I have supportive friends and partners who have been helping me out physically and emotionally with all of this going on.

Hey MxWolfie192,

As a parent of a child with ADHD (and ASD) I can only imagine what you have to deal with, and those meds, what fun they are not. t's awesome that you have support around you, and that you have insight into yourself. I do wish you all the best and hope you can stabilise things.

Oh we should talk, I'm about to start on a Character Creator wizard thing and maybe we can do that together.

Cheers,
MBM

Camberme
December 25th, 2022, 05:09
I've just been gifted a copy of traveler as a "teacher" of the fantasy grounds academy and would love to have a module or wizard for creating characters. are there any updates?