PDA

View Full Version : Help with macros

Tigermanic
July 6th, 2020, 00:35
I'm playing in a Pathfinder 2e campaign and was wondering how I would go about having my cat animal companion auto roll 1d4 slashing damage along side normal damage if the target is flat-footed?

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2020, 05:49
MOD: Moved to PF2E forum.

Ruleset specific questions are best asked in the sub-forum for that ruleset. You will find more people who know the ruleset and can often give a quicker and more helpful answer.

Trenloe
July 6th, 2020, 09:57
Welcome to the FG forums Tigermanic!

You can do that with an effect applied to the animal companion in the combat tracker: IFT: flat-footed; DMG: 1d4 slashing Then ensure that the flat-footed condition is applied correctly to the target.

More info on effects here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/372244481/PFRPG2+Effects

Tigermanic
July 6th, 2020, 12:19
Thank you so much!

Surge
July 6th, 2020, 16:23
Quick question kind of related to this Trenloe.

If the target doesn't have the condition applied, but you enable the built in flat-footed modifier for your attack roll / damage roll, would that satisfy the IFT condition? Or do modifiers not count towards Effect conditions?

Trenloe
July 6th, 2020, 17:28
If the target doesn't have the condition applied, but you enable the built in flat-footed modifier for your attack roll / damage roll, would that satisfy the IFT condition? Or do modifiers not count towards Effect conditions?
Modifiers don't count for conditional effects. It has to be the condition.

Note: In the current live release (release 16) only the "flat-footed" condition will be matched with IFT: flat-footed. However, in release 17, the following will also match with IFT: flat-footed: confused, grabbed, paralyzed, prone, restrained and unconscious.

MaxAstro
July 6th, 2020, 19:59
Oh, that's great to know. I keep forgetting to manually add flat-footed to prone creatures so the rogue can sneak attack...

Tigermanic
July 7th, 2020, 03:21
Note: In the current live release (release 16) only the "flat-footed" condition will be matched with IFT: flat-footed. However, in release 17, the following will also match with IFT: flat-footed: confused, grabbed, paralyzed, prone, restrained and unconscious.

Wow, that seems like it'll be incredibly helpful.

Larsenex
July 7th, 2020, 17:47
Trenloe, is 'release 17' on the test server now?

After going from live to test and back to live, our group experienced some 'wonkiness'. It was odd like having a really hard time manipulating the map, > clicking on tokens to release them (so movement can proceed) were both really hard to do. I had to repeatedly push my middle mouse button to get the players token to release so he can do his movement.
This could simply be the mouse at my end but it started happening after we migrated back to live (from test). This is all in classic. I am seriously considering migrating the entire campaign to Unity but I like being able to lock tokens down which I don't think is in Unity yet.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2020, 17:58
Trenloe, is 'release 17' on the test server now?

After going from live to test and back to live, our group experienced some 'wonkiness'. It was odd like having a really hard time manipulating the map, > clicking on tokens to release them (so movement can proceed) were both really hard to do. I had to repeatedly push my middle mouse button to get the players token to release so he can do his movement.
This could simply be the mouse at my end but it started happening after we migrated back to live (from test). This is all in classic. I am seriously considering migrating the entire campaign to Unity but I like being able to lock tokens down which I don't think is in Unity yet.
Yes, release 17 is in the test channel.

There's no changes to image code between the two.

If the token has any transparency then you need to ensure you're clicking on a portion of the token that isn't transparent.

MaxAstro
July 10th, 2020, 00:23
Welcome to the FG forums Tigermanic!

You can do that with an effect applied to the animal companion in the combat tracker: IFT: flat-footed; DMG: 1d4 slashing Then ensure that the flat-footed condition is applied correctly to the target.

More info on effects here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/372244481/PFRPG2+Effects

Oh! I just noticed. The damage type on sneak attack - shouldn't it be "precision" instead of "slashing"?

Willot
July 10th, 2020, 01:51
Oh! I just noticed. The damage type on sneak attack - shouldn't it be "precision" instead of "slashing"?

My understanding is "precision" means the same type of damage that is already being done.
An effect doesnt know the type of damage that is being done by the Creature it has been placed upon so the human has to do it manually.
At least I dont think effects are that smart.

kaernunnos
July 10th, 2020, 03:51
The effect will do the damage, and precision is the damage type because there are immunities for it. One of my players uses a similar effect for his ranger.

MaxAstro
July 10th, 2020, 05:08
Yeah, I double checked with the rogue character in my AoA campaign and it should definitely be precision. Otherwise creatures immune to sneak attack won't get their immunity.

Willot
July 10th, 2020, 06:28
Delete Me

Willot
July 10th, 2020, 06:29
Think it just must be the way FG is handling it

Precision (damage type) A type of damage that increases the attack’s listed damage,
using the same damage type, rather than adding a separate amount. pg452

So 10 slashing Plus 6 precision

Is the same as saying 16 slashing. UNLESS there is a feat or something that say otherwise about the precision portion. EG: IMMUNE: precision. then it would only be the 10 slashing.

For the most part I think it should work, although there might be a problem when something is immune to precision
See here

It wouldnt crop up that much but nice to be aware
I swear Paizo is TRYING to make it hard for all the VTT guys LOL

Trenloe
July 10th, 2020, 08:06
Looking at the cat animal companion in the Core Rules, the "special" entry is "Your cat deals 1d4 extra precision damage against flatfooted targets."

A cat has two attacks - jaws (piercing damage) and claw (slashing damage).

Precision damage runs in tandem with normal damage. In FG this is setup with two (or more) damage types - the original weapon damage types and precision. So, in this case, for the jaws it would be DMG:1d4 piercing, precision and for the claw would be DMG: 1d4 slashing, precision

So, one effect isn't going to cover this - there'll need to be the relevant one active depending on the attack used, which could be both within a round (maybe switching to the claw ,which is agile so less MAP, for 2nd/3rd attacks).

There are additions to the effects system coming in future releases. I'm planning on looking at adding in the weapon name as a special component to attack and damage, so that the attack name can be used to filter effects for a specific weapon/attack. But that's not available yet.

Willot
July 10th, 2020, 08:29
Yeah the whole weapon damage system may have to be pulled down and rebuilt, what with this sorta thing and Flurry Of Blows and Double slice combining damages with differing rules on whether multi attack penalties are applied and when.

Better you than me :)

MaxAstro
July 10th, 2020, 15:34
That's funny, I thought it was already handling precision damage that way.

Also, immunity to precision comes up more often than you'd think. At least in my experience, it's certainly come up more often than high levels of resistance to slashing/piercing/bludgeoning damage does.

MaxAstro
July 10th, 2020, 15:59
So I just tested this and actually Fantasy Grounds handles precision damage correctly.

Give one character "IFT: flat-footed; DMG: 1d6 precision" and another character both "Flat-footed" and "IMMUNE: piercing".

If you have the first character deal piercing damage to the second, the precision damage will be added to the roll but the total damage will be reduced to 0. If you change to "IMMUNE: precision", then only the precision damage will be resisted.

Trenloe
July 10th, 2020, 16:14
So I just tested this and actually Fantasy Grounds handles precision damage correctly.
Thanks for testing.

I forgot that precision is part of the special damage types list that gets added to the base damage type, not as a new damage clause.

So, for the OP, they just need a single effect: IFT: flat-footed; DMG: 1d4 precision and this will handle correctly for both the cat's jaws and claw attacks. Taking the following as the example (from page 215 of Core Rules):

Melee [one-action] jaws (finesse), Damage 1d6 piercing
Melee [one-action] claw (agile, finesse), Damage 1d4 slashing
Special Your cat deals 1d4 extra precision damage against flatfooted targets.

Using the IFT: flat-footed; DMG: 1d4 precision effect, would give the following against flat-footed targets:

Jaws: 1d6 piercing + 1d4 piercing, precision
Claw: 1d4 slashing + 1d4 slashing, precision

So, in this case, it's working well. :)

Thanks again for the sanity check MaxAstro, I've written thousands of lines of code in this ruleset and sometimes forget the details stuff I did a few months ago.

MaxAstro
July 10th, 2020, 17:24
Totally understandable, Trenloe. I maintain a few thousand lines of code I've written as part of my job and honestly there are entire sections that I have no memory of writing. :)

Tigermanic
August 9th, 2020, 20:02
I know I'm a bit late but I didn't see, or even expect, that this question cropped up more than a single page of conversation! Thanks you so much Trenloe and MaxAstro!

thyrax
August 16th, 2020, 22:18
I have a player who is playing a swashbuckler and how would program
BLEEDING FINISHER [one-action] FEAT 8
FINISHER SWASHBUCKLER
Your blow inflicts profuse bleeding. Make a slashing or
piercing Strike with a weapon or unarmed attack that allows
you to add your precise strike damage. If you hit, the target
also takes persistent bleed damage equal to your precise
strike finisher damage.

Trenloe
August 16th, 2020, 22:20
Use the PERS effect to apply persistent damage.

See the effects page in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/372244481/PFRPG2+Effects

EmptyOwl
August 17th, 2020, 05:55
Does the "magic" damage type work like precision damage in FG? Like for adding weapon dice from magic weapons. It is supposed to increase the damage dice by (at least) 1 and be considered a magical attack

-Thanks

PS: So no, this isnt the way it seems to work. Tested against a Faceless stalker with a club with magic weapon on it, stopped the bludgeoning, let all the magic through. Tested the same weapon on a greater bargest, let all the magic die through, stopped the weapon die.

PPS: Got it to work by modifying Magic Weapon to use DMGTYPE:magic, so just an error in the way SR drag'n'drop module works

EmptyOwl
August 17th, 2020, 06:47
Ok, so now I am playing with the SHILLELAGH spell:

Shillelagh (Club); DMG: 1d6; DMGTYPE: magic; IFT: TYPE (aberration, extraplanar, undead); DMG: 1d6

I added the damage and dmg type before the conditional and it works great. It rolls 2 damage dice vs most monsters and 3 dice against undead and aberrations. The only weirdness is that no creature is actually listed as extraplanar, it is a subjective creature type. I cannot figure out how to add a type to a creature using an effect. How would I do this?

-Thanks!

MaxAstro
August 17th, 2020, 15:56
I think you'll have do something like "celestial, monitor, fiend" instead.

EmptyOwl
August 17th, 2020, 16:11
I think you'll have do something like "celestial, monitor, fiend" instead.

Yes, though if you are on their plane they aren't extraplanar (and, in fact, YOU are!), but I guess that's an edge case? I thought some way of adding a creature type on the fly would be a better solution, but am not sure how to add it, or if it is even possible.

Trenloe
August 17th, 2020, 16:12
You can't add a trait on the fly via effects. You can add a custom flag to the target and use that in an IFT clause.