PDA

View Full Version : First impression: I can't figure out how to use anything

longarms
April 24th, 2007, 04:18
I am in pretty bad shape here without a user manual. I can't even figure out how to add spells in the spell entry page/tab. I tried dragging them from the d20 spellbook, right clicking on the spell entry page/tab. Out of luck.

We need that documentation ;(

Traygin
April 24th, 2007, 04:20
I am in pretty bad shape here without a user manual. I can't even figure out how to add spells in the spell entry page/tab. I tried dragging them from the d20 spellbook, right clicking on the spell entry page/tab. Out of luck.

Yea I have been having some issues with trying to drag spells to the character sheet. :confused:

Jozan
April 24th, 2007, 04:23
On the spells lists it took me a couple of tries to figure out how to drag the spells over. Once you enter the number of spells known up top it will add the lists. Then just drag the spell box underneath where it says Level # It should show up then.

Traygin
April 24th, 2007, 04:25

The way I found to drag spell onto the character sheet is that you need to put how many spells you know at each level. For example if you know 3 first level spells you put in the number 3 in the level 1 spells know slot in the spells page of the character sheet and then you can drag in spells.

Traygin
April 24th, 2007, 04:27
Just what Jozan has saidm he bet me to the punch.

Jozan
April 24th, 2007, 04:32
Most of the stuff is fairly easy to figure out, just takes a few trials and errors.
Wishing I had the full license so I could play around with it more, but I have been creating the heck outta some characters today:) . As well as putting fg1 characters over to fg2 couldn't figure out how to put them in without typing from scratch.

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 04:32
Yeah this is a pain the first time. First look at the bottom left and make sure Preparation Mode is checked. You should see numbers 0-9 or whatever at the top. Roll the mouse over the the zero and change it how many spells you have. Say put 3 in 0. You should see a line that says "Level 0" appear. If not click the class name - not the book icon. Then click Level 0 you can then drag and drop the 0 level spells in.

One new feature in FG2 is that clicking on text opens up more text. If you are confused on this then you can see what I mean by opening the list of cleric spells. Then click on Level 0 (all the orisions should hide) then click again on Level 0 and they will come back.

longarms
April 24th, 2007, 04:33
"Once you enter the number of spells known"

where is this entered?

EDIT: OKAY, the spells known field does not appear until after you enter a class on the first page that has access to a spell list. So, without filling out the class section on the first page, my spell sheet was just blank. Once I typed in wizard, a wizard entry appeared on the spell page.

Wow, its really cool once you figure out how to use it. Hint, hint on the documentation...

Jozan
April 24th, 2007, 04:34
Should be boxes on the very top of the spell list sheet.

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 04:35
Most of the stuff is fairly easy to figure out, just takes a few trials and errors.
Wishing I had the full license so I could play around with it more, but I have been creating the heck outta some characters today:) . As well as putting fg1 characters over to fg2 couldn't figure out how to put them in without typing from scratch.
You should be able to just create a new character with the FG1's character's name. Don't add anything. Then cut and paste the FG1 character xml into the FG2 character's xml. You will have to edit some stuff but it should work.

Jozan
April 24th, 2007, 04:35
Ok cool. I will try that.

Dachannien
April 24th, 2007, 04:36
You have to be in preparation mode for the widget to be visible. You also have to have entered a character class with nonzero levels on the first page to make the widget visible (you get one division per character class).

greowhiste
April 24th, 2007, 04:36
actually, one of the things I don't like about loading spells is that you can prepare more than you allot at the top. Of course you should be able to do this, but I sort of wish there was some flag that let you know that you have gone over your limit, or there is an edit, like the amendment numbers in the bubbles when you, say, raise your ability scores in the skill section. Loading and keeping track of a few levels of spells is just fine, but hey, come 15th level, that's a lot of little circles to count and make sure you've prepared the right amount.

am i wrong on this, is there a way to have them lock after you've reached your limit?

Traygin
April 24th, 2007, 04:37
On the main page I entered wizard as the class, gave him a level then on the spells page at the top the know spells/allowed spells bar shows up. I had to drag a number into the 0 and 1st level slots.

Jozan
April 24th, 2007, 04:37
A slot for bonus spells beside spells known would come in handy. Then you could put in the normal spells that you are allowed then select which spells are bonus.

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 04:43
EDIT: OKAY, the spells known field does not appear until after you enter a class on the first page that has access to a spell list. So, without filling out the class section on the first page, my spell sheet was just blank. Once I typed in wizard, a wizard entry appeared on the spell page.

Type in Cleric as a second class. Anyone who ever had multiclass spell casters is going to really like FG2.

Dachannien
April 24th, 2007, 04:47
The sheet counts up the number of spells you have prepared already if you have it set up correctly. Here's a quick runthrough of how it works:

If you are dealing with a class that prepares its spells ahead of time, click on the book/star icon next to the class name on the spell list so that it looks like a book. This indicates that this class prepares its spells. It also changes the behavior of the little circles.

Next, make sure you are in preparation mode by clicking the labeled circle at the bottom. Drag all of the spells your character knows into the list in the appropriate place (or right click to create new entries for spells not in the SRD). Set the number of spells you can cast per day in the number slots at the top.

Now, beside each spell level, it should say "Cast: _ / Prepared: _". As you click on circles next to spell names, the "prepared" number will increase. If it exceeds the number you've put in at the top, stop :) There's no need to count all the circles, because it counts them for you.

When you're not in preparation mode, you can click the solid (prepared) circles to check them off and indicate that you've cast that spell.

For a class that casts its spells spontaneously, change the icon to the star icon. Now, the numbers you input at the top represent the number of times you can cast a spell of a particular level. Each spell entry will have that many circles next to it. In preparation mode, the circles all end up grayed out. But in non-preparation mode, you can click a circle when you've cast a spell, and it will automatically indicate that you have one fewer spell use left. In this mode, there will only be an indication of "Cast: _" next to the spell level. It is possible that you are in this mode by mistake if you don't see the sheet counting up your prepared spells for you, in which case you need to switch to the book icon.

Dachannien
April 24th, 2007, 04:49
A slot for bonus spells beside spells known would come in handy. Then you could put in the normal spells that you are allowed then select which spells are bonus.

If you mean domain spells, you can make a separate division by entering another class in the classes list (perhaps name it after your spell domains). You could conceivably do the same for any situation in which you get spells from a spell list other than your class's normal list.

Illrigger
April 24th, 2007, 05:10
Here's another one you guys will run into:

On your character who doesn't have 0-level spell slots, try to drag a zero level spell over to a level 1 slot. It won't work.

Why? Because the spells sort themselves based on the level of the spell you're dragging from. If you try to drag a 3rd level spell to a 1st level slot, it will appear in a 3rd level slot, and you have to drag it from there down to the 1st level slot you wanted. In order to get that 0-level spell to appear, you have to grant yourself a 0-level slot, and then drag it to the right level, then remove the slot.

You can also drag any spell from any class into your spell list, they're not class specific. But be aware that they appear in a slot of the same level of the class you're dragging FROM if it's different from the call you dragging TO; you need to know where to look and move them where they belong.