PDA

View Full Version : Remove Skills from 5E Sheet via extension

esmdev
July 2nd, 2020, 16:22
I would like to modify the 5E ruleset character sheet to remove some of the skills from the sheet and then add new skills to the sheet, is there a way to remove skills from the 5E sheet?

Basically I want to:

Keep
Acrobatics
Athletics
Deception
Insight
Intimidation
Medicine
Perception
Persuasion
Slight of Hand
Stealth
Survival

Add
Espionage
Infiltration
Infotech
Mechanics
Pilot
Tactics

Remove
Animal Handling
Arcana
History
Investigation
Nature
Performance
Religion

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2020, 16:34
See info in this thread, and the linked thread in post #3: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46034-Remove-core-skills

esmdev
July 2nd, 2020, 23:38
See info in this thread, and the linked thread in post #3: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46034-Remove-core-skills

So do you have a link for if I want to change the notes page headers for Alignment and Deity to Nationality and Agency? I tried to simply overwrite the data as with the skills but it just puts both Alignment and Nationality on top of one another (same with the other) and that's not a pretty picture at all. :|

damned
July 3rd, 2020, 01:29
They are almost certainly just strings just search for those words and you will find the source and thus be able to work out how to override in your extension.

esmdev
July 3rd, 2020, 01:57
They are almost certainly just strings just search for those words and you will find the source and thus be able to work out how to override in your extension.

Sadly, I did that, and my best attempt ended up writing the word Nationality on top of Alignment with both words displayed at the same time. My reason for asking is I don't really know how to turn off the original text that I am trying to replace. I did watch your video on how to modify the 5E character sheet, which was great but it appends to the bottom of notes rather than changing the existing parts of the notes page.

damned
July 3rd, 2020, 02:13
A find in files reveals the word Alignment in several files. We are looking for a string so this is our likely candidate.
\strings\strings_5e.xml
A similar search for Deity reveals the same.

So, in your extension you only want to modify the absolute minimum so try something like this.

Include a new file containing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
attribution and copyright information.
-->

<root>
<!-- Character - Notes -->
<string name="char_label_alignment" merge="replace">NATIONALITY</string>
<string name="char_label_deity">AGENCY</string>

<!-- NPCs -->
<string name="npc_label_alignment" merge="replace">Nationality</string>
</root>

esmdev
July 3rd, 2020, 02:33
That is so much better (and many less lines) than what I came up with. I'm really a novice when it comes to XML and Lua.

So basically it's okay to replace names and use the existing elements to hold the data without recreating entirely new elements (which is what I did). That will make everything much easier.

Thanks to both, hopefully this will get me where I'm going.

One more (hopefully last question) is related to skills. I'm not planning to release specific data for the sheet (like a mod file) because of IP and licensing info. Is it acceptable form (etiquette wise) to release a sheet in an extension where the skills work except it generates an invalid reference error in chat if you click the info button on the skill? I've not released anything like a sheet before so I figured I'd check in advance.

I mostly made it for myself and my group but figured I'd share it. The game in question isn't formally released though there is a quick start and kick start backers have beta drafts of the game so I thought it might be helpful.

damned
July 3rd, 2020, 02:56
What I did was just replace the labels.
Otherwise you need to remove the element in the charsheet code and add new elements in. That is more work.
Neither is wrong, your approach (even though you didnt quite get there) is a more complete one but in my experience not necessary.
You would have needed to merge="delete" the fields you were replacing and then add your fields in and then check any anchoring dependencies.

You can release character sheets always. The game mechanics cannot by copy protected in the USA.

esmdev
July 3rd, 2020, 02:58
What I did was just replace the labels.
Otherwise you need to remove the element in the charsheet code and add new elements in. That is more work.
Neither is wrong, your approach (even though you didnt quite get there) is a more complete one but in my experience not necessary.
You would have needed to merge="delete" the fields you were replacing and then add your fields in and then check any anchoring dependencies.

You can release character sheets always. The game mechanics cannot by copy protected in the USA.

I guess my question is wether the skill description is game mechanics or IP? Obviously class, background and that sort is IP, but not really sure about description of skills.

damned
July 3rd, 2020, 03:02
Post an example.
You might also want to ping the creators and ask if a limited amount of data can be created and shared allowing people who own the book to play easier online.

esmdev
July 3rd, 2020, 03:28
For instance, you click the red info icon on the skills page and it brings up the skill info (in this case Espionage):

Espionage is the skill of surveillance, logically applying evidence, and the gathering of covert information of interest. Espionage covers not only acquiring but also correctly delivering sensitive data, and can be used in an attempt to stop an enemy’s espionage attempts—known as counterintelligence.

Use Espionage to:
• Listen and interpret audio from a wiretap
• Connect seemingly unrelated events
• Interrogate a prisoner
• Disseminate false information

damned
July 3rd, 2020, 06:01
You would create a skill called Espionage and you would leave the description blank or would write: see page 123 in the XYZ Handbook
Then you would be able to export and share that.

esmdev
July 3rd, 2020, 15:44
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59659-The-Spy-Game-5E-character-sheet&p=523595&viewfull=1#post523595

Amatiste
August 27th, 2020, 03:52
Damned,

I am trying to make a sheet (again) and ESMDEV sent me to to this post. I am trying to create a stat block using CoreRPG, and I want to replace the Abbilities/skills label with a stats label. I created a strings file, and tried merge="delete", it didnt work like expected. How do you use the delete merge? Attached is my sheet as is now, and my code.
CODE: 38852

esmdev
August 27th, 2020, 15:44
Damned,

I am trying to make a sheet (again) and ESMDEV sent me to to this post. I am trying to create a stat block using CoreRPG, and I want to replace the Abbilities/skills label with a stats label. I created a strings file, and tried merge="delete", it didnt work like expected. How do you use the delete merge? Attached is my sheet as is now, and my code.
CODE: 38852

I believe the correct code would be:

<labeledstring name="char_label_attributes" merge="delete" />