PDA

View Full Version : Modules with new ruleset

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 00:22
I had my old campaign set to a custom ruleset, so I created a new ruleset in 2.0 that was nothing but a direct copy of the example ruleset (by extracting in the main folder) with a new name.

Only now, when I load that campaign, it won't let me activate any modules. When I click on the module icon in the upper right, it gives me a blank screen -- not the four modules with the various d20 rules. I know this is due to the ruleset, as when I change the campaign to the default d20 ruleset, they re-appear.

Does anyone know how to link to those modues? I state once again -- I haven't changed anything at all in the ruleset.

The High Druid
April 24th, 2007, 00:25
I've been looking at the xml of the modules and *if* I'm reading it right some of the opening tags in each file would imply to me that the modules are tied to a particular ruleset and so will need to have that tag edited to work with a different one. Umm, don't ask me what to I'm fumbling my way through this by trial and error.

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 00:56
What are you using to open them? When I try to look at them in Wordpad, I just get gibberish.

kalmarjan
April 24th, 2007, 02:14
Use winzip or winrar to open them, and you will see the files.

You may have to rename them with a .zip or .rar extension first.

Sandeman

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 03:17
Okay, I unzipped them and saw where it has the ruleset assigned. Do they need to be re-compressed?

kalmarjan
April 24th, 2007, 04:22
What you do is compress them, then rename them with the .mod extension.

Hope that helps.

Sandeman

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 04:24
Still no luck. I changed the thing in the <ruleset> tags to match my ruleset name and re-zipped it, but it's still not visible in the modules tab when I open the campaign.

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 04:38
Once you unzip it you have a campaign. Put it in the campaign folder and export it to create a new module.

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 04:41
I apologize for being dense. Export how?

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 04:47
Hmm I may be the dense one. Are we talking about a rule module or an adventure module? I was talking about an adventure module. To make adventure modules you start a new campaign with the name of the adventure. You then export the adventure by typing "/export ModuelName the name of the module" in the chat window.

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 04:51
I was talking about the d20 rule modules that come with FG II -- the four different books you can activate or not.

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 05:02
Ah sorry I didn't make any. Here's what Toadwart said:

err... think we are talking about different things here....

When I said "just zip up the files" I was talking about how to create a new module containing reference information for FGII (e.g. "Toadwart's Spells of Mass Destruction"). If I create a db.xml file, a definition.xml file and an icon I could zip them up, rename to .mod. That module would then show up in FGII - assuming I had set up the xml correctly.

Exactly what can make up a module is not completely clear to me yet. I think it's a way of packaging up data rather than functionality. i.e. don't know if windowclasses/lua scripts/etc can be packaged up into a module....

Can't really say what happens with existing FGI modules. I think that any that are based on the standard d20 ruleset might 'just work' in FGII but haven't tried it . . I think there would have to be some conversion, possibly automatic, to change it over, given the differences in the FGII items/npc windowclasses

I would unzip one of the .mod files and study the structure.

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 05:11
Okay, what I've done:

In the modules folder, I extracted the four files that were there (d20basicrules.mod, d20magicitems.mod, etc.)

In the definitions .xml file, I changed <ruleset>d20</ruleset> to <ruleset>newd20</ruleset> to match the name of the ruleset I'm using.

I re-zipped the files and changed the extensions to .mod

This hasn't worked. Anyone have any other ideas?

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 05:28
Did you put the icons back in? Also make sure there is no file structure in the zip, and also paths are relative.

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 05:31
I never took the icons out, so they were still in the folder when it got re-zipped.

The only three files in the unzipped folder were the definition file, a db file, and the icon. No zip structure.

Paths I'm not so sure of. I'll check that.

Goblin-King
April 24th, 2007, 06:44
You can also add this to your ruleset (base.xml for example):

<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20" />
</importinfo>

This will make your ruleset accept d20 modules. It's up to you to keep your ruleset compatible with the data, though.

(From the next version on, you can also use <acceptfrom>d20</acceptfrom>, but not at this time. Noticed this little oversight when checking this.)

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 14:53
That still doesn't work.

Has anyone gotten those books to show up with a custom ruleset yet?

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 16:49
On further playing around with it, I seem to lose the modules when I re-zip them. I switched the campaign to the standard ruleset, which made them show up just fine, but when I tried to add some spells to the d20spells.mod, I unzipped, edited the xml, then re-zipped and changed to .mod and now that module won't show up anymore.

Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

darkivel
April 24th, 2007, 16:57
Nevermind. I'm a complete idiot. All this time I've been re-zipping the folder, not the files themselves. It works just fine now.