PDA

View Full Version : FGC: Effects coding possibly breaking due to old extension? Unrelated script error?

BronzeDodger
July 1st, 2020, 07:32
Situation: was using the original 5E Roll for Initiative (5e Request Roll Extension by Stalker) but two weeks ago it stopped loading the PCs and and I could not get it working (multiple restarts; load w/o extension, close, load with extension).

So I grabbed the refreshed version (Request Rolls from Players by Houndy) and used it tonight - seemed to work like a charm in-game, but there was a bug when players connected.

For the first time all the players got an error on entry:
Network Notice: Client ruleset download complete.
Runtime Notice: s'Local Dice Tower Extension 5E ruleset supported.'
Script Error: [string "scripts/rfia_extension_manager_lua"]:32: attempt to index a nil value

(I presume the first two are background and only appear because of the script error).

Of course it's possible it's another extension (running about a dozen) but this is the only one that changed week-to-week.

It did not seem to impact the game - but if there is a way to figure out the bug I'd like to.

Now the weird part that I'm not sure is related. Via the Advanced Effects extension was trying to code a Cloak of Protection so it would auto-add to the combat tracker.

Simplest example: PC who is not proficient with STR saves; 10 STR (so no bonus).
The only reason I'm wondering if it's the 'request rolls' extension it because I'd not seen the popup before when rolling a Save from the character sheet as while logged-on as DM (though same result as a player)

When I roll the vanilla save from the first tab on the character sheet, it would roll a d20 with no modifiers (expected result).
As my Advanced Effect was not working (reacting as below) I removed it and manually added an effect in the Combat Tracker to see how it would react. I added:
SAVE:1
So in Combat Tracker it's displaying "Effects: SAVE:1"

When I roll the STR save after applying this effect the chat box shows:
[SAVE]Strength[EFFECTS +1][EFFECTS+1] and show a +2 modifier to the roll. So something is counting twice. I tried with AC:1 and it worked normally.

So I may have multiple things going on here - but any tips to start narrowing down where to look would be great.

Thanks

BronzeDodger
July 1st, 2020, 07:55
QUICK REPLY: Narrowing it down with testing. Tried loading without a couple of extensions to no avail. But then under OPTIONS I found this setting for the "Roll for Initiative Addon"

Manual Save Rolls PC

With it set to 'off' rolling a STR save on a new+blank (all stats 10) character sheet worked. Having "Effect:SAVE:1" in the combat tracker resulted in just that.
But with Manual Save Rolls PC set to 'on' I got the immediate result above:
[SAVE]Strength[EFFECTS +1][EFFECTS+1] and show a +2 modifier to the roll.

So something is double-counting the effect. Any way to tell if it's inherent in the extension itself, or it if's instead conflicting with another extension?

PS: disabling only this extension also removed the script error on entry - so thinking I found the culprit and now hope it's not too daunting to see it fixed.

Zacchaeus
July 1st, 2020, 08:43
If you have an issue with an extension post your problem in the thread related to that extension.

As part of your testing you should test in a new campaign without any extensions to see if you can replicate the issue. If you cannot then the issue is with another extension that you have loaded. If you have a dozen extension loaded then there is every likelihood of a conflict somewhere.