PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Matjam's Status Indicators

matjam
July 1st, 2020, 05:29
Matjam's Status Indicators

This extension is intended as a simpler replacement for the save status indicators from 5E Combat Enhancer by Styrmir (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47146-5e-Combat-Enhancer-(built-on-retired-GPL-Advanced-Kombat-extension)) and 5E Map Indicator for Death by Celestian (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38059-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death).

It is not intended to fully replace 5E Combat Enhancer; but rather to just give the following features:-

Currently displays the status of character health via blood splatter; and will render a skull and bones when the character is either dying or dead.
Displays the result of a save as a thumbs up or down with a yellow thumbs up for half save.
Save result clears when you step to next character in the combat tracker.
Can be turned on/off in the options panel.
Blood splatter is attached to the character token not rendered to the map. I did not implement layers intentionally.

Motivation

5E Combat Enhancer is complex, and is implemented by basically pulling in and making custom edits to core 5E files in Fantasy Grounds. I found in practice that this would interfere with other extensions that don't do that.

I also found the layer functionality confusing and problematic.

So, I intend to implement the features I need that I can't plug with other extensions.

Installation

Go to the Releases page and grab the latest release (https://github.com/matjam/5e-status-indicators/releases), and drop it in your Fantasy Grounds data/extensions folder.

Thanks

Kent McCullough for guidance and for providing an excellent pattern for hooking into functions in the Fantasy Grounds 5e and core rulesets.
Styrmir for 5E Combat Enhancer.
Celestian for 5E Map Indicator for Death.
Darkslyde for forcing me to get off my *** to do this.

License

All code is MIT licensed, as per the LICENSE.md in this repository. I did not copy any code from other projects; I did however follow some of the patterns that people implemented.

Images are either CC0 or Public Domain, as noted in the license file. (You will note I reused some images from 5E Combat Enhancer; they are in the Public Domain as Styrmir noted in his licensing.)

Screenshots

https://i.imgur.com/dHgS8QZm.png
https://i.imgur.com/UZpdeCQm.png

Other Notes

I'm open to feature requests. If this extension does most of what you think is good and would like to see some other related features, let me know and I'll see how hard it is. You can find me on the Fantasy Grounds PUG server on Discord (https://discord.gg/vjm56r) as @matjam.

Changelog

1.1 - bugfix for clients throwing an error on load
1.2 - added options to allow blood spatter/skulls/save indicators to be disabled.

LordEntrails
July 1st, 2020, 05:40
Nice work :)

And thanks even more for specifying your license. I appreciate that and hope that all the community devs do as well.

vaughnlannister
July 1st, 2020, 07:25
Nice :)!, Will you in the future ad an option to turn off blood splatters and skulls?

Zacchaeus
July 1st, 2020, 08:46
Well done, nice work.

matjam
July 1st, 2020, 08:48
Nice :)!, Will you in the future ad an option to turn off blood splatters and skulls?

Added :-)

vaughnlannister
July 1st, 2020, 11:58
Added :-)

Thank you :D !!!!

eriktedesco
July 1st, 2020, 14:57
Hi Matjam, is this extension working only for FGC?

vaughnlannister
July 1st, 2020, 15:04
It's working in FGU for me.

eriktedesco
July 1st, 2020, 15:14
Do I have to uninstall something from 5e Enhancer or is Ruud extension a complement to 5E Enhancer?

vaughnlannister
July 1st, 2020, 15:19
I use the 5e enhancer sub extension, you need to switch of sub extension for, Save.
You can leave sub extension for Wounds on. If you in options, turn of skull and blood spatters for 5E - Matjam's Status Indicators.

matjam
July 1st, 2020, 15:55
I’ve not tested with FGU yet. I probably will start looking at it soon because now I’m using a limited set of extensions it might work for me now.

0m0n
July 2nd, 2020, 01:49
Very Nice.

I'm testing it in Unity. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong by the icons are extremely small compared to your screenshot.

If possible are you able to add an option to turn off the blood effect when the death effect is active so only the death token shows once they reach 0HP? Thanks

matjam
July 2nd, 2020, 20:14
Very Nice.

I'm testing it in Unity. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong by the icons are extremely small compared to your screenshot.

If possible are you able to add an option to turn off the blood effect when the death effect is active so only the death token shows once they reach 0HP? Thanks

Yeah I tested in Unity; it is also broken for any clients. The GM sees everything fine but the clients see no save indicators and the blood is hit and miss.

I could add an option for that. Will see how I go tonight.

vaughnlannister
July 19th, 2020, 21:37
Hi Matjam,

Last night I found a strange bug which was due to interference between your Status Indicator Extension and Death Indicator Ex v4.5
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59203-Death-Indicator-Ex-v4-5-extension-for-5e-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity/page2

I noticed tokens changing after adding an encounters to the combat tracker.
At first the tokens will appear the as the right ones, however after a few clicks on the CT-Tracker they will then change to random tokens that are from the token folder.

I was wondering if you could maybe have a look?

Thanks!

vaughnlannister
July 21st, 2020, 11:59
Hey, I don't understand how, but the issue was fixed with the last Corerpg update :)!

bwatford
September 13th, 2020, 04:33
In Unity the players can see the skull and the blood but not the save indicators. Any idea why that is?

DarkEiraStar
October 19th, 2020, 18:23
I'm using this in Unity, and the issue that I have is that the graphics encompass not only the token, but also the creature's reach making it very troublesome to target other creatures that are directly next to the token.

Korav
November 14th, 2020, 15:08
I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to the size of the indicators? I'm currently using FGU and on a large map the status indicators are really small, but when I tested this on a more reasonably sized map (though still a tad small).

vaughnlannister
November 14th, 2020, 20:43
I had this problem.. too a bit.. are you using the latest release from Github?

Korav
November 14th, 2020, 20:47
I pulled this version two days ago from Github. It appears to be version 1.3 from Jul 3rd, which seems to be the latest (on Github at least), is there another version?

vaughnlannister
November 16th, 2020, 18:52
That should be the latest version.. Could you post screenshot of what your seeing? I don't think its interference with another extension... I use quite a few and it has never interfered unless you use the 5e Enhancer though.

Korav
November 16th, 2020, 20:40
Here is an example:

As you can see the blood and thumbs up are small given how close I am zoomed in on this map.

vaughnlannister
November 16th, 2020, 21:47
Strange.. might be due to the map size or, grid size?

Here is what it looks from my end.. with the same version.

Tip: Quick test.. with only Matjam's on couldn't hurt, just to rule out a conflict.

Korav
November 17th, 2020, 01:17
So I did some testing.

1) Tested with only Matjam's on the same map (large) with small grid size (20x20): Indicators were very small, but this does rule out an extension conflict
2) Tested with large map vs. small map using the same grid size (50x50): Indicators were normal size, but this does rule out map size as a conflict
3) Tested with large map and a small map using small grid size (20x20) vs. big grid size (70x70): On a small grid size, Indicators were abnormally small. On a large grid size, Indicators were normal size. This means that the problem is definitely scaling based on the grid size, regardless of map size.

I then focused on testing various grid sizes, subjectively 30x30 grid or smaller seemed to really shrink the size and on a 20x20 grid you get what I posted above. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be oversizing if you get bigger and bigger, meaning it seems to scale up fine.

Edit: Actually I have to recant the italicized statement above, scaling seems to be a problem, because if you really increase the grid size you can see it extend beyond the token.

0m0n
November 17th, 2020, 22:50
Adding the following after Line 186 in the status_indicators.lua file seems to solve my issues with sizing in FGU

if UtilityManager.isClientFGU() then
statusWidget.setSize(80, 80); -- 80% size
end

That sizing function should then read as

function applyBitmapToToken(tokenCT, bitmapName, tokenName)
if tokenName == nil or tokenCT == nil then
return
end

local nWidth, nHeight = tokenCT.getSize()

statusWidget = tokenCT.addBitmapWidget(tokenName)
statusWidget.setBitmap(tokenName)
statusWidget.setName(bitmapName)
statusWidget.setSize(nWidth, nHeight)
statusWidget.setVisible(true)

end
end

I've only tested for 10 minutes on 1 map though so let me know if it solves the issue for anyone else

Korav
November 18th, 2020, 00:54
I made the change as described by 0m0n, repeating the tests I did above and it does indeed seem to solve my issue. Thanks 0m0n!

vaughnlannister
November 18th, 2020, 08:55
Thanks @0m0n :)!!

Korav
November 23rd, 2020, 13:00
So I have a question... I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that the graphics for Save Indicators were shown also to players. I can confirm by running a local instance that the Blood Splatters do show up for the player, however, the Save indicators do not. Can anyone else confirm this behavior? Should the Save Indicators show for the players? Could it be related to the changes suggested by 0m0n (which I have made in my local copy)?

vaughnlannister
November 23rd, 2020, 13:10
The original one did show to players.. I believe, you could do a test with the one that was not modified?

Korav
November 23rd, 2020, 13:18
I tested again with the original, unmodified version, and it does not show save indicators to players. It's strange though that blood splatters work without issue.

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 20:08
A lot of stuff not working for me in FGU with this ext.

I would love to get rid of Enhancer but this doesnt seem to fix it.

vaughnlannister
December 12th, 2020, 20:09
Could you post you extension list.. I don't have any interference.. and I use quite a few extensions.. with Matjam's Status Indicator?

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 20:46
Could you post you extension list.. I don't have any interference.. and I use quite a few extensions.. with Matjam's Status Indicator?

All these worked together before using this ext.

Portals Revamped
Unity Compatible Better Module Window FGU
Unity Compatible 5E Critically Awesome Essentials
Unity Compatible Enhanced Spell Window FGU
5E Advanced Effects
5e Advantage Display
5e Aura Effects
5E Automatic Critical Damage
5E Automatic Elemental Adept
5E Automatic Flanking and Range
5E Automatic Halfling Luck
5E Automatic Lingering Effects
5E Automatic Mirror Image
5E Automatic Pack Tactics
5E Automatic Return Damage
5E Automatic Save Advantage
5E Automatic Shield Master
5E Automatic Sneak Attack
5E Automatic Spell Resistance
5E Blindsight And Truesight
5E Chance Init Update Effects
5E Generic Actions
5E Miss Flavor Text
5E More Monster Filters
5E Ongoing Saves
5E Polymorphism (FGU)
5E Reliable Talent
5E Situation Awareness
5E Spell Automation
5E Theogeek Improved Critical
5E Theogeek Nat 20
5E Turn Based Effects
5E Vision
5E (and more) Equipped Effects (FGU)
5E (and more) Map Parcel (FGU)
5E Attunement Tracker
5E Eleven Accuracy
5E End of Next Turn
5E Enhancer Faction Underlays
5E Enhancer Height
5E Enhancer Remove Actor
5E Enhancer Remove Effect
5E Enhancer Saves
5E Enhancer Skip Actor
5E Enhancer Wounds
5E Extension NPC flavors
5E Legendary Assistant
5E Modifiers A
5E Roll for Init
5E Sharing Is Caring
5E Coin Converter
Combat Timer
Core Buttons For 5E
CoreRPG Author
CoreRPG Encounter Safari
CoreRPG Has Initiative Indicator
CoreRPG Party Inventory Identified
Dice Total Blue
DOE Base
DOE Locations
Feature CT Open on Turn
Feature Unshare Image
Font Montserrat FGU
Instant Dice
Mad Nomads Automatic Actions Tab Additions
Mad Nomads Character Sheet Journal
Mad Nomads Character Sheet Tweaks
Mad Nomads Coin Manager
Mad Nomads Enhanced Encounter Window
Mad Nomads Filterable Inventory
Mad Nomads Party Combat Stats
Message of the Day
Player Agency
Player NPC End Turn
Shops
Spell Tokens
Window Saver X

I turned off the Enhancer ones (ALL OF THEM) to see if I could get it to work. I got some of the stuff to work some didnt work, ICONs were small. I was going to do the fix above but I was having issues with other stuff.

I want to get rid of Enhancer because it does conflict with so much and not being updated correctly.

Thank you for the help with this. Glad to see good people out there.

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 22:20
I got it working by not loading VISIONS ext also.

Now Im going to try applying the fix from above post to see if I can get the sizes correct.

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 23:11
So I got it working, but still have to use 5E Enhancer Wounds for correct HP bars and for it to show the dots.
I had to update the coding as listed above.
I had to turn off some settings on this and keep some on from Enhancer. However, it's working better because now I don't have to do the /dsav or the players don't have to do it. It just does it after each turn.

Zionmatrix
January 6th, 2021, 18:43
I love this ext!! just wish the saves were darker, more opaque

thanks for all the hard work.

eriktedesco
January 9th, 2021, 10:57
Hi Matjam, thank you very much for this extension and for your hard work in general.

May I ask for 2 implementations?

1) Would it be possible to add an autoskip function for unconscious creature in the Combat Tracker while keeping the automatic death save for PCs?

2) Is it possible to add automatically a new token (bandaid, or anything else) when the PCs is stable?

Thanks a lot!

Erik

P.S. I can confim that save icon are not visualized on client side. No idea why...

ColinBuckler
February 5th, 2021, 22:32
I have amended the save icons which give a better look/feel to me. I have attached them incase anyone else wants to use them.

I also wish the saves would show client side, that appears to be the only thing that is lacking for me over the 5E Enhancer.

Zionmatrix
February 5th, 2021, 22:45
I have amended the save icons which give a better look/feel to me. I have attached them incase anyone else wants to use them.

I also wish the saves would show client side, that appears to be the only thing that is lacking for me over the 5E Enhancer.

I agree. I'd love to see this show client side

MrDDT
February 5th, 2021, 23:21
I agree. I'd love to see this show client side

Yeah this is a really good step to go with I think. I would love to see this added.

mclimbin
February 9th, 2021, 22:25
Hi all,
Could I ask one of you to help a noob with that line edit of the code? How do I go about editing that? What editor should I use, and what else might I need to know to do this?

MrDDT
February 10th, 2021, 03:02
Hi all,
Could I ask one of you to help a noob with that line edit of the code? How do I go about editing that? What editor should I use, and what else might I need to know to do this?

I use 7-zip to open the file .ext (You don't need to rename it)
I use notepad++ to open the .lua file (You don't need to rename it)

Its not hard to do edit it. The hard part is knowing what to put in the files. Make sure you save them before you all done and close them out.

webdove
February 12th, 2021, 23:04
I noticed that the splat images were very small in FGU. I looked up some messages from SilentRuin (of Death Indicator fame) about setsize. So I played with a scale multiplier and found that 4x worked well. Here is my code snippet from status_indicators.lua.
return
end

statusWidget.setSize(nWidth * 4, nHeight * 4)
end

webdove
February 12th, 2021, 23:10

webdove
February 12th, 2021, 23:15

webdove
February 12th, 2021, 23:16
Hmm. I cannot seem to put pictures inline in the post.

Jiminimonka
February 13th, 2021, 19:42
Getting this bug appear in FGU - I tested all extensions one at a time to find the one causing the error.

[ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/status_indicators.lua"]:139: attempt to index local 'nodeField' (a nil value)

Doesn't seem to blow up the software but obviously needs fixing. Thanks.

Aridhro
February 15th, 2021, 09:26
My players cannot see the indicators. How do I fix this?

ColinBuckler
February 15th, 2021, 10:14
Adding the following after Line 186 in the status_indicators.lua file seems to solve my issues with sizing in FGU

end

That sizing function should then read as

return
end

statusWidget.setSize(nWidth, nHeight)

end
end

I've only tested for 10 minutes on 1 map though so let me know if it solves the issue for anyone else

I can confirm making the above amendment increases the size of the token.

I am not a big fan of Notepad++ and use Programmers Notepad for editing individual files. For larger development I use Atom.

For those having problems with the token size, you need to unzip the .ext and edit the "status_indicators.lua" file in the "scripts" folder. The highlighted amendments are shown in the image at line 188.

mclimbin
February 15th, 2021, 18:58
Thank you for your help, MrDDT and ColinBuckler (and everyone who contributed to this). It took me a little head scratching and come common sense clicking around (and don't forget to save it when done or it won't implement!), but now it is working like a charm!
This is a great, simple alternative to those older extensions that don't work so well with Unity. Thanks everyone!

eriktedesco
February 18th, 2021, 20:10
Hi Matjam!

With the last FGU update, this extension seems to have some issue.

An error keeps displaying:

I checked by activating and disactivating your extension.

Hope you will be able to solve the issue pretty soon.

Thanks a lot for your hard work!

P.S. Is this extension still supported?

spoonhead
February 23rd, 2021, 05:46
+1. Would really like this extension to continue.

Hi Matjam!

With the last FGU update, this extension seems to have some issue.

An error keeps displaying:

I checked by activating and disactivating your extension.

Hope you will be able to solve the issue pretty soon.

Thanks a lot for your hard work!

P.S. Is this extension still supported?

mclimbin
February 24th, 2021, 03:15
Hi all,
I'm having a different problem now...
The saves are showing to the clients, but the blood and death markers don't show unless I go into Options and reset them by turning them off and on again. Once I do that, the players can see the markers. When someone else dies, I have to reset the markers again so that the players can see who has died.
This is an OK workaround, but I'm starting to get frustrated.
Does anyone have any alternative extensions that work well for blood spatters, death markers, and save markers?
I was using Enhancer previously, but that caused even more problems. Any suggestions?

jrowsey1
February 24th, 2021, 05:46
This one may help with the blood splatter.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66315-CoreRPG-Wound-Overlay

Jiminimonka
February 24th, 2021, 11:25
Hi all,
I'm having a different problem now...
The saves are showing to the clients, but the blood and death markers don't show unless I go into Options and reset them by turning them off and on again. Once I do that, the players can see the markers. When someone else dies, I have to reset the markers again so that the players can see who has died.
This is an OK workaround, but I'm starting to get frustrated.
Does anyone have any alternative extensions that work well for blood spatters, death markers, and save markers?
I was using Enhancer previously, but that caused even more problems. Any suggestions?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59203-Death-Indicator-Ex-v4-5-extension-for-5e-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity&highlight=death+indicator

Is still regularly updated and works fine.

mclimbin
February 24th, 2021, 15:58
Thanks jrowsey1 and Jiminimonka! Those both look really interesting.

mattekure
February 24th, 2021, 16:51
I am actively working on an update to this extension. I got blood and death indicators fixed and showing on both dm and player. Working on saving throw indicators next

eriktedesco
February 24th, 2021, 17:14
I am actively working on an update to this extension. I got blood and death indicators fixed and showing on both dm and player. Working on saving throw indicators next

Can't wait to have it functional, Mat!! Thank you very much for your hard work!

MrDDT
February 24th, 2021, 17:34

Man that would be awesome can't wait.

mattekure
February 24th, 2021, 18:42
After noting that the original author has not been active on the forums for 5 months and the MIT license this extension is under, I have decided to fork this extension and post it in its own thread for support.

The new extension and support can be found here
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66443-5E-Mattekure-Status-Indicators

This new version has fixed several bugs which were noted in this forum, and added a few new features. Status indicators now appear on both DM and Player, and the DM can dynamically adjust the scale of the indicators using the options.

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 22:20
Another alternative Save Overlay (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66438-5E-Save-Oerlay) extension