PDA

View Full Version : ARM MacOS

Imagix
June 30th, 2020, 17:51
With the transition of Macs going to ARM-based CPUs coming soon, has this been looked at for FGU? Relying on being able to run under Rosetta 2, or building a Universal 2 binary? Dependant on Unity releasing something for ARM?

Moon Wizard
July 1st, 2020, 04:25
Until Mac actually releases hardware to build on, and Unity supports that hardware; there's not much we can really do to prepare. I assume once those two are in place that we can just rebuild on that platform; and make any minor adjustments from current Mac build.

Regards,
JPG

Imagix
July 1st, 2020, 06:19
Turns out, Apple does have the hardware available :) (See: Universal App Quick Start Program) But, if it's mostly about when Unity is available, that's all the answer I need. Thanks.

damned
July 1st, 2020, 08:07
Until Mac actually releases hardware to build on, and Unity supports that hardware; there's not much we can really do to prepare. I assume once those two are in place that we can just rebuild on that platform; and make any minor adjustments from current Mac build.

Regards,
JPG

Windows also has an ARM edition that is already available.

matjam
July 1st, 2020, 17:57
Apple's stack is already cross-compiling into ARM for the iDevices, and unity already builds for those devices also for mobile games.

I don't see it taking long for Unity to support ARM on Mac - but it will take them a little time to get it all working for developers to start targetting that arch.

The good thing is that Mac app bundles already support having multiple arch binaries in the .app, so SW would just ship a single app bundle, and it'd run on an ARM mac or an X86_64 mac.

TheKoyoteKid
July 7th, 2020, 00:37
Apple's stack is already cross-compiling into ARM for the iDevices, and unity already builds for those devices also for mobile games.

I don't see it taking long for Unity to support ARM on Mac - but it will take them a little time to get it all working for developers to start targetting that arch.

The good thing is that Mac app bundles already support having multiple arch binaries in the .app, so SW would just ship a single app bundle, and it'd run on an ARM mac or an X86_64 mac.

Sooner than you might think.
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/06/22/unity-coming-to-apple-silicon/

I suspect that end users actually getting ARM based Macs and SmiteWorks being able to test it on that hardware is going to be the longest wait.

matjam
July 7th, 2020, 18:20
Sooner than you might think.
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/06/22/unity-coming-to-apple-silicon/

I suspect that end users actually getting ARM based Macs and SmiteWorks being able to test it on that hardware is going to be the longest wait.

Yeah; also note there was some caveats attached to the support for Apple Silicon. We'll see.