PDA

View Full Version : Unity adding die type to hit roll display. Why?

kevininrussia
June 30th, 2020, 06:57
Whats the reasoning for adding the die type to the hit roll display in Unity? Its not in Classic. (I like the classic display method better).

https://i.imgur.com/y6TJYai.jpg

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2020, 09:14
In Unity it identifies each die type (critical, effects etc) so it's much clearer. Also in Unity of course there are a bunch of dice rollers so its probably necessary for the different dice to be identified for that. Overall it juts looks so much better in Unity.

kevininrussia
June 30th, 2020, 15:52
"overall it just looks so much better" - One might think that is subjective but there is a reason freeway billboards are not cluttered with superfluous information. They are kept clean of superfluous text so the info can be delivered at a glance.

The die type is already shown as a graphic image that the number is applied to in Classic. The (d20 text) is not needed as it is already known by the graphic. As a graphic designer the way Unity displays the roll info is cluttered and not as easily read at a glance.

Sparks285
June 30th, 2020, 16:11
"the way Unity displays the roll info is cluttered and not as easily read at a glance" - One might think this is subjective as well. Personally, I like being able to see the die type as well as the graphic. *shrug*

RunningHill
June 30th, 2020, 16:16
I have players who can't see difference between the dices and pick the wrong ones. Maybe thats a reason to make it more clear what type of dice is used.

kevininrussia
June 30th, 2020, 16:38
I have players who can't see difference between the dices and pick the wrong ones.

https://i.imgur.com/r3d00kJ.png (https://imgur.com/r3d00kJ)

The number on the die tells you what die type it is.

LordEntrails
June 30th, 2020, 17:52
The wonderful thing about FG is if you don't like the way something looks, you can create your own extension and change it to meet your own subjective wants.

kevininrussia
June 30th, 2020, 18:07
The wonderful thing about FG is if you don't like the way something looks, you can create your own extension and change it to meet your own subjective wants.

Really? So your average user can write extensions?

LordEntrails
June 30th, 2020, 18:12
Kevin, don't go there.

RunningHill
June 30th, 2020, 18:13
Doesn't matter - they still pick the wrong ones...

kevininrussia
June 30th, 2020, 18:17
Kevin, don't go there.

Fine, direct me to the location in code where the die roll display is located and I will attempt to make an extension.

deer_buster
June 30th, 2020, 20:23
Really? So your average user can write extensions?

Depends on your competency with LUA, and/or ability to learn LUA.

kevininrussia
June 30th, 2020, 20:59
Depends on your competency with LUA, and/or ability to learn LUA.

Obviously.

How about pointing me to the location of the required code to alter?

Willot
June 30th, 2020, 22:46
I too like having the dice type on the roll. But it probably wouldn't hurt to have an Option in the setup.

bmos
June 30th, 2020, 23:18
How about pointing me to the location of the required code to alter?For anyone to tell you that, they're going to need at least the ruleset you're using.

kevininrussia
June 30th, 2020, 23:23
For anyone to tell you that, they're going to need at least the ruleset you're using.

4E. Figured it would be in CoreRPG.

Kelrugem
July 2nd, 2020, 01:10
4E. Figured it would be in CoreRPG.

Hm, I would guess that it is in manager_actions.lua of CoreRPG :) (like the script which gets modified in the advantage extension you have by the way :) ) At the bottom of that script are some functions about messaging the results, but I do not see any different code there (compared with FGC). So, I am not sure whether one can really edit it, but I also didn't really look yet :)

Moon Wizard
July 2nd, 2020, 23:11
The dice rolls in FGU support a much larger set of dice expressions built into the engine. FGC was limited to a set of dice and a single additive modifier. FGU supports numeric operators, dice modes, dice sets, decimals, and more. Since the FGU engine was designed to fully support these dice expressions, the chat entry output had to be updated to support any arbitrary dice expression used.

The basic display components can not be customized (i.e. expression, dice, total); though FGU has added a lot of individual control to the individual dice icons, colors, fonts, text and backgrounds displayed. The general layout (expression over dice) is fixed.

Since FGU doesn't have the concept of a dangling modifier like FGC, there's no mechanism to draw exactly like FGC. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to "fake" out the display by setting the "expr" value in the dice data of the message to a single space (or setting to just the modifier). (Note, I believe that the engine rebuilds the expression, if completely empty.) However, unless you kept the modifier, you wouldn't be able to see it. Also, this isn't really supported.

The expected behavior and display is as you see it.

Regards,
JPG

johniba
July 25th, 2020, 14:49
The dice rolls in FGU support a much larger set of dice expressions built into the engine. FGC was limited to a set of dice and a single additive modifier. FGU supports numeric operators, dice modes, dice sets, decimals, and more. Since the FGU engine was designed to fully support these dice expressions, the chat entry output had to be updated to support any arbitrary dice expression used.

The basic display components can not be customized (i.e. expression, dice, total); though FGU has added a lot of individual control to the individual dice icons, colors, fonts, text and backgrounds displayed. The general layout (expression over dice) is fixed.

Since FGU doesn't have the concept of a dangling modifier like FGC, there's no mechanism to draw exactly like FGC. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to "fake" out the display by setting the "expr" value in the dice data of the message to a single space (or setting to just the modifier). (Note, I believe that the engine rebuilds the expression, if completely empty.) However, unless you kept the modifier, you wouldn't be able to see it. Also, this isn't really supported.

The expected behavior and display is as you see it.

Regards,
JPG

In the Genesys ruleset (and also Star Wars, Warhammer FRP 3rd) since we use narrative dice and the faces are symbols and not values, we had to come up with a customized result message.
Displaying that info in the message really hurts visually, and I would love a way to remove it, even if it is a workaround.

Please see attached image as an example

Moon Wizard
July 26th, 2020, 03:14
One alternative is that the ruleset could be changed to use icons, instead of alternate dice.

There is no current way to turn off the expression display.

Regards,
JPG