PDA

View Full Version : Portable Ruleset in FG2?

FryCook
April 23rd, 2007, 21:09
I installed FG 1 to a removable harddrive. That way I could always have my ruleset with me when I wanted to modify it whether I was at work, on the laptop, or on the home work station. It's a pain to continuously copy back and forth to keep all your machines in sync.

In FG2, I notice that the rulesets are not stored in the installation hierarchy but under the Documents and Settings folder for the currently logged in user.

Are there any settings that allow you to choose the location of the rulesets so I can point it at something like a storage drive or a removable harddrive?

Thanks.

richvalle
April 23rd, 2007, 21:12
Per the Devs in another post... 'not at this time'.

It was created this way to make it compatable with Vista.

joshuha
April 23rd, 2007, 21:17
Well you could just leave the base.xml in the default directory and have every pointer in the file point to your removable hard drive.

Illrigger
April 23rd, 2007, 21:48
You can use a 3rd party add-on on your computers to sync the files in question between your devices, so befor eyou leave, you just need to sync up and then do it again when you get home. MS offers a free Powertoy that does it. Google for "powertoy synctoy" and you should be able to find it pretty easily.

It's not as convenient as wht you were doing before, but it will do the job for ya with minimal effort.

The High Druid
April 24th, 2007, 00:18
Changing the location of the Documents and Settings folder to the removable drive would also work, but would also affect a lot of other programs. This is very easily done with TweakUI from the microsoft website if you don't want to mess about in the registry.

Edit: Scratch that TweakUI won't change the location of Documents and Settings, only some of the folders it contains.

Goblin-King
April 24th, 2007, 06:27
Warning: Do this only if you know what you're doing.

You can alter the DataDir value in the HKCU\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0 key in the registry to point wherever you want. Make sure it points to a valid location before you start FG, though :).

FryCook
April 24th, 2007, 14:23
First off, thanks to all of you for your replies.

I'll need to spend some time working through them to see which turns out the best and is the most stable.

I'll post later with my results.