PDA

View Full Version : Equipped Effects Extension (.ext file) [Fantasy Grounds Unity]

Pages : [1] 2

SilentRuin
June 27th, 2020, 19:25
Only in Forge.

Equipped Effects Extension (Fantasy Grounds Unity) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/158/view)

This stand-alone extension for Fantasy Grounds allows your players to gain item-based effects simply by equipping them, which automatically adds the effects to the character in the combat tracker.

This extension unlocks the following functions:

Give characters magic items and allow them to equip them to receive effects that you’ve set up previously —saving time during the session!

Item effects are automatically removed when the item is unequipped.

Make some effects on the combat tracker invisible from your players! The effects are still there, but your players can't see them —cursed items are now possible in FG!

Items tagged with “CURSED” can not be unequipped by the player

Aridhro's 5E Automated Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects) is also supported by this extension.

Additional perk included in this extension:

Import & Export custom effect XML files, so you can take your created effects with you to your next campaign.

Updates:
[See .txt file for early updates and features]

V 1.44 - FGU changes - updated extension to work with new FGU changes. Will now respect ID and attunement for NPC inventories (will not all equip if not ID'ed and attuned).

V 1.45 - Bug - was not doing case insensitive search for keyword "Required Attunement" in rarity text. If someone put this in a sheet in lower case it would not recognize it required attunement. Fixed.

V 1.46- Feature - added support for PC power/effect name matching to first check for a <match name>_RACE_<race name> or <match name>_CLASS_<class name> match before defaulting to a <match name> check. This allows for resolving <match name>s that are the same but have different meanings depending on where they are defined (in race data or class data). Got to love WOTC non unique naming. This was done largely to support some conflicts in the new MotM player module.

V 1.47 - Bug - was not removing _RACE_ or _CLASS_ actions when ability that generated them was removed. Fixed.

V 1.48 - FGU Change - FGU changed how they parse NPC powername which this code also does, so updated to do it the same way.

V 1.49 - Feature - A new option "Display NPC Powers" defaulted to "off" will allow an NPC sheet and the NPC CT actions line link to display additional matched power's data as formatted text. This means that if the "Translate NPC Powers" options is "on" (power name matching is in play which builds the NPC CT action lines) and the "Display NPC Powers" is set to "All Powers" then the NPC sheet and the NPC CT action line links will show the formatted text of the matched power under the normal FGU displayed data (might have minor duplication at times), if set to "Spells Only" then NPC sheet will only have the spells translated but CT action line links will still have all translated (better timing), and if set to "CT only" then NPC sheet will display no matched NPC power data but the CT will still display everything (best timing short of turning option off). If the "Display First Link" is "on" then it will also expand the first link's description per normal behavior of that option in other places. If "Display NPC powers" or "Translate NPC Powers" is "off" then just normal FGU displays will be shown in NPC sheet and CT action line links.

V 1.50 - Bug - "Display First Link" option can cause duplicated text which is avoidable when using "Translate NPC Powers" options. Fixed.

V 1.51 - Bug - The NPC CT action line link was displaying both the original basic string data and the formatted version of it - will now determine (if it can) if those are similar enough to only display the formatted text version.

V 1.52 - FGU changes - Latest FGU update required changes.

V 1.53 - FGU changes - Latest FGU update required changes. Removed old code that no longer is required.

V 1.54 - Update - Will now support doing name lookup/matching of custom effects for NPC bonusactions,legendaryactions, and lairactions data. Previously only did NPC traits and actions data.

V 1.55 - Update - New option "Disable FGU adding actions" defaulted to "off". If "on" this option will prevent FGU from interpreting actions into the action tab of PCs based on module data. This can cause duplicates when something like AE5E supplemental data is used which has all the actions already defined and EE automatically updates them already.

V 1.56 - Bug - Removed some unnecessary setTab call in npc sheet processing.

V 1.57 - Update - changed all default options to what I want as I got tired of updating them all. Users can turn them off now if they don't want them.

V 1.58 - Update - implemented node and childList changes to code that SW wanted.

V 1.59 - Update - rewrote EE to keep a global list of name indexed spell nodes trimmed by module priority rules around so its not constantly being regenerated. Any modification to local spells or unload/load of modules will clear this global list and force its regeneration next time it is used. This should speed things up as it was constantly regenerating this list all the time. Only EE uses it. Replaced an unused flag with "Equip/Unequip Inventory" defaulted to on - which can be used to turn off equip inventory named matching.

V 1.60 - Bug - Was not adding the spell import/export button, notes import/export button, or the item Type(sub) search in a generic manner which could cause conflicts. Fixed.

V 1.61 - Update - vehicle class type was only supported in inventory (equip/unequip) but now it will be supported like an NPC class type in CT changes also.

V1.62 - Update - supported vehicle class as much as possible in the same manner as npc class.

V 1.63 - Fix - the conflict name of "shield" was not parsing with the template name so applied things like "Shield, +1" etc. with a power which it should have been skipping. Fixed.

V 1.64 - Fix - making sure rAction has changestate as part of data to be used by other functions. For BCEG purposes.

V 1.65 - Update - support for extra lvl data for bratch9 extension.

V 1.66 - Update - added ability to import/export options in/out of XML files. Renamed all export/import button options so they are grouped together in options - all require restart of FGU to be displayed. Spells and notes (buttons been in this extension for ages) are indexed data and should be used with extreme caution when importing to an existing local DB - exporting is harmless. The new options will use the local DB <options> data to directly put into XML file and load from XML file into options and if using an old XML copy beware of options having changed (you will be dumping old version back in). These are for my own use - use at own risk if you choose to enable these buttons.

V 1.67 - FGU update - made fixes due to FGU update.

Known Caveats:
If you delete an equipped item with an effect before you unequip it - the effect will remain in combat tracker. Unequip any item with effects before you remove it from the inventory.
Effects added by name matching of a custom effect are not done with a Source included as they are assumed to be passive and will not properly function with a (C) Concentration effect. Those should always be defined in power actions for the name matching.

Grim Press overview video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbCMehtk68

My long boring silent test video.

https://youtu.be/4epKAV-i-B4

Grim Press will be handling the sales and promotion of this extension.
If you'd like to engage with us, please feel free to join the Grim Press discord: https://discord.gg/N7MM93a

Extensions = RISK: This note is added to all the extensions I maintain. I want users to understand that extensions are code that is added to or overrides portions of code in the Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU) application. When the underlying code in FGU changes it can break an extension. When you run with other extensions they can conflict by trying to overwrite the same parts of the FGU code. I will keep my extensions working with FGU changes, and the extensions I use (listed in my FGU signature) as I have direct control over those things. I cannot make the same promise with other extensions. If I am notified of an incompatibility I will attempt to resolve it - but if I cannot I will list what the known extension incompatibilities are. Understand before you get any extensions that it comes with RISK. Not just my extensions - any extension. These extensions are also maintained by me for me. I provide them outside of my own games purely to those who wish to take advantages of things I use for myself.

Included is original text used for describing this extension - provided for reference if needed.

RocksFall
June 28th, 2020, 08:58
That looks awesome. Highly interested. But....will it work with MoreCore?

SilentRuin
June 28th, 2020, 17:49
That looks awesome. Highly interested. But....will it work with MoreCore?

No earthly idea. I'm new to FGU and just programming things as I find I need them - what you see loaded in video is what I have and only what I've run with. Basically my signature.

vaughnlannister
June 28th, 2020, 22:00
Hey bought your new extension :), been trying it out again, works perfect, no conflicts whatsoever, I will be testing it some more during the week.
Will let you know, if I find anything!

Thanks again love what this adds to our games!

SilentRuin
June 28th, 2020, 22:17
Hey bought your new extension :), been trying it out again, works perfect, no conflicts whatsoever, I will be testing it some more during the week.
Will let you know, if I find anything!

Thanks again love what this adds to our games!

Happy to be of service :)

Willot
July 2nd, 2020, 22:44
mmm cant seem to get it to work with PFRPG2.

I watched the video but cant see how you attached the custom effect to an item?
I assumed they both have to have the same name?

When I equip the item the effect fails to appear on the CT

SilentRuin
July 2nd, 2020, 23:25
mmm cant seem to get it to work with PFRPG2.

I watched the video but cant see how you attached the custom effect to an item?
I assumed they both have to have the same name?

When I equip the item the effect fails to appear on the CT

All the code is tied to CoreRPG or has guards against if data is not there. I superficially tested it in each of the rulesets listed. Just did this in my empty create campaign of PFRPG2 with some 5E effects I imported in from an XML file using this extension. I then went into a dummy char I created (basically empty except for name and inventory) and created an Item that had the same name as one of my effects. I then cycled through the carried states and watch the combat tracker set the effect and remove the effect. The name is a 100% character match on the first component in the label. For example,

Item created:
Ring of SilentRuin

Effect I imported into custom effects (or you could simply create it)

Ring of SilentRuin; AC:-10; CURSED

The effect worked fine. As I'm not a player - and was host - the CURSED did not really prevent me from unequipping it.

Now if you are the host - you should see it in the CT - if the first component matches 100% the name (that's everything before the first semicolon). Is that what you did? Granted I have no idea what effects this ruleset accepts but it really does not matter, you should see it in the CT.

Willot
July 3rd, 2020, 01:20
Mmm yeah I cut n paste the name from the item to the effect. I got it in a test campagin with no other extensions loaded. Il keep playing with it
I assume I dont have to export and import the effect first that activates the code

SilentRuin
July 3rd, 2020, 02:08
Mmm yeah I cut n paste the name from the item to the effect. I got it in a test campagin with no other extensions loaded. Il keep playing with it
I assume I dont have to export and import the effect first that activates the code

No just the exact text match should be all that is required.

vaughnlannister
July 4th, 2020, 19:08
Hi, though your extension is working fine it does seem to hamper performance of the combat tracker a bit, making it a little laggy. Could you maybe investigate if you're also seeing this issue in FGU, with your extension?

SilentRuin
July 4th, 2020, 22:20
Hi, though your extension is working fine it does seem to hamper performance of the combat tracker a bit, making it a little laggy. Could you maybe investigate if you're also seeing this issue in FGU, with your extension?

There should be nothing going on except a button override which should only deal with inventory carried item. I just played a huge game (via LAN because Cloud connections are bugged for some of my players and we have had lag going through cloud) where combat tracker had a LARGE number of things with this extension in play and noticed no lag.

Test for you would be disable extension - and try the same things your doing. I don't know what could possibly effect combat tracker as nothing should be in there from my code.

vaughnlannister
July 4th, 2020, 22:31
Ok, that is reassuring, probably was because I loaded to many modules and extensions we didn't need through play today that was causing it. I do see a small speed bump after disabling your extension when opening the combat tracker, but this speed bump is negligible. I will investigate a bit more, with a few players next Monday. Thanks again for bringing out some cool extensions :)!

SilentRuin
July 5th, 2020, 00:56
Ok, that is reassuring, probably was because I loaded to many modules and extensions we didn't need through play today that was causing it. I do see a small speed bump after disabling your extension when opening the combat tracker, but this speed bump is negligible. I will investigate a bit more, with a few players next Monday. Thanks again for bringing out some cool extensions :)!
Well if you find something let me know - I only run with the three extensions - in signature.

damned
July 5th, 2020, 01:17
There should be a reason you run each extension. Do not just load up all the extensions that sound cool.

vaughnlannister
July 5th, 2020, 11:36
It just ran so well in our last game with a bare minimum setup. I may have pushed it a bit to far though with the extra loaded mods and extensions, albeit I was also running zoom which also chunks up precious cpu on my laptop. Turning back the clock to bare minimum set up for our next session :), to see if it makes a difference, I'd rather run with less extensions, mods and zoom. Without any lag then with lag.

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2020, 17:09
EDIT: not applicable

Curuthanir
August 23rd, 2020, 05:27
I've just installed the extension, and am using it in a Starfinder campaign. No other extensions loaded. I can apply the effect to the item, and when I equip the item, I see the effect in the CT. But when I unequip the item, the effect does not leave the CT. Am I doing something wrong?

SilentRuin
August 23rd, 2020, 09:24
I've just installed the extension, and am using it in a Starfinder campaign. No other extensions loaded. I can apply the effect to the item, and when I equip the item, I see the effect in the CT. But when I unequip the item, the effect does not leave the CT. Am I doing something wrong?

Which rule set is starfinder?

If it’s one of the ones I listed then I’ll have to test it out tomorrow.

For sure the effect should be expired when you unequip it. Is there an error in console log?

SilentRuin
August 23rd, 2020, 15:06

Alright, I just got into my test project for SFRPG which is starfinder and all the tests I made previously appeared to work. As you stated, I also only have this extension and nothing else running. I basically create a new campaign with SFRPG ruleset and this one extension under Fantasy Grounds Unity. I then create a basic dummy character who has almost no data and drop him in combat tracker, then create a cursed test item (the ring you see in video) and a regular item (the cloak of protection you see in video) and run through the test. I drop both items in the dummy characters inventory - then cycle through the 3 states of equipped status and watch my effects in combat tracker change for the host. I then attach myself as a test player and do the same tests - as in the video the player side will lock up and be unable to move out of the equipped status for the cursed item but the host can cycle it out just fine. As in the previous test the CT tracker shows the effects removed.

The console log shows nothing going on - which is good.

I'm not sure what the problem is your seeing as I've had nothing previously wrong reported on this extension - nor do I have any problems myself but I play exculsively with 5E ruleset. That does not mean I don't believe you are seeing something weird going on. Just need more data to figure out what it is.

1) Does your \console log show any errors popping up when the DB.addHandler("charsheet.*.inventorylist.*.carried", "onUpdate", onCarriedChanged) trigger (only performed on host side even when player triggers the change) onCarriedChanged() code does the EffectManager.removeEffect(rActorCT, sCarriedItem)? Probably much to much information but that is what is literally doing the removal of the effect.

2) This is Fantasy Grounds Unity your running right? Not classic? All my extensions have only been designed with Unity as I don't own classic. So no guarantees when it comes to running in there per the DMsG text description and in here.

So I'm willing to help figure out your issue - but I have no idea what it is at that moment based on the data I have.

Curuthanir
August 23rd, 2020, 19:31
Alright, I just got into my test project for SFRPG which is starfinder and all the tests I made previously appeared to work. As you stated, I also only have this extension and nothing else running. I basically create a new campaign with SFRPG ruleset and this one extension under Fantasy Grounds Unity. I then create a basic dummy character who has almost no data and drop him in combat tracker, then create a cursed test item (the ring you see in video) and a regular item (the cloak of protection you see in video) and run through the test. I drop both items in the dummy characters inventory - then cycle through the 3 states of equipped status and watch my effects in combat tracker change for the host. I then attach myself as a test player and do the same tests - as in the video the player side will lock up and be unable to move out of the equipped status for the cursed item but the host can cycle it out just fine. As in the previous test the CT tracker shows the effects removed.

The console log shows nothing going on - which is good.

I'm not sure what the problem is your seeing as I've had nothing previously wrong reported on this extension - nor do I have any problems myself but I play exculsively with 5E ruleset. That does not mean I don't believe you are seeing something weird going on. Just need more data to figure out what it is.

1) Does your \console log show any errors popping up when the DB.addHandler("charsheet.*.inventorylist.*.carried", "onUpdate", onCarriedChanged) trigger (only performed on host side even when player triggers the change) onCarriedChanged() code does the EffectManager.removeEffect(rActorCT, sCarriedItem)? Probably much to much information but that is what is literally doing the removal of the effect.

2) This is Fantasy Grounds Unity your running right? Not classic? All my extensions have only been designed with Unity as I don't own classic. So no guarantees when it comes to running in there per the DMsG text description and in here.

So I'm willing to help figure out your issue - but I have no idea what it is at that moment based on the data I have.

I appreciate you looking at it. So more details about my setup, I'm using Fantasy Grounds Unity, with no other extensions loaded. Running SFRPG ruleset with the official core rules book and modules loaded. I am using a copy of an existing campaign, so that if I mess something up my players will not be affected in our weekly game.

I've added a suit of armor, that has a resist effect. (I made sure to copy the exact name from the item to the effect.) When I equip the armor, the effect appears on CT. When I unequip the armor, the effect remains in CT. No error message in console log. I've attached a screen shot. (Maybe you'll see something that I'm doing wrong.)

I'll try creating a new test campaign, and using the extension in that.

SilentRuin
August 23rd, 2020, 19:38
I appreciate you looking at it. So more details about my setup, I'm using Fantasy Grounds Unity, with no other extensions loaded. Running SFRPG ruleset with the official core rules book and modules loaded. I am using a copy of an existing campaign, so that if I mess something up my players will not be affected in our weekly game.

I've added a suit of armor, that has a resist effect. (I made sure to copy the exact name from the item to the effect.) When I equip the armor, the effect appears on CT. When I unequip the armor, the effect remains in CT. No error message in console log. I've attached a screen shot. (Maybe you'll see something that I'm doing wrong.)

Let me try and copy from your picture to create that thing. But you have a lot of detail going on in there so maybe that has caused some issue in the code as I never run this ruleset. Plus, did you mention you had some sort of module you loaded? I for sure have nothing like that - just the raw rules.

I'll give it a shot keying in that yoshi thing and trying to duplicate it. Short of that I may have to try to setup the same kind of character or things you have though as I said I only use 5E myself.

SilentRuin
August 23rd, 2020, 19:57

Well that was easy. Duplicated. In fact, taking out that huge name you have with all the braces in it [] made it work.

I tried this for the effect:

Yoshi refractor suit; [Backup generator]; [Thermal capacitor, mk1]; RESIST: 5 fire; RESIST: 5 cold

And for the item:

Ysoki refractor suit

Notes: [Backup generator][Thermal capacitor, mk1]

Properties: RESIST: 5 fire; RESIST: 5 cold

I have no idea if that is legal in your game but it will work for now. I'll take a look and see why it does not like the long name with braces for the removing of the effect - as it seems to be no problem when creating it.

SilentRuin
August 23rd, 2020, 20:10

Well damn. Its pure CoreRPG code rejecting it.

It does this to match the sLabel of the effect - which in our case contains the "[]" characters:

DB.getValue(nodeEffect, "label", ""):match(sEffPatternToRemove)

I believe pattern matching treats the "[]" as special grouping characters or something so its not going to work in CoreRPG if you try to remove an effect with any of those special pattern matching characters in it when its simply matching text to text - it wants a pattern to match (usually text is all that is required). That's a guess.

I'm not actually sure what to do here. This is CoreRPG behavior for naming conventions.

Is that Yoshi things name part of the actual starfinder data set?

I would literally have to parse in any string I pass into the CoreRPG code to find every possible special character and guard it with a % or something I think - not really positive on how that works.

I suppose if this is part of the actual data I can try it out - let me know if this was some name you made up or if its their naming convention on this item.

Curuthanir
August 23rd, 2020, 20:18
Well damn. Its pure CoreRPG code rejecting it.

It does this to match the sLabel of the effect - which in our case contains the "[]" characters:

DB.getValue(nodeEffect, "label", ""):match(sEffPatternToRemove)

I believe pattern matching treats the "[]" as special grouping characters or something so its not going to work in CoreRPG if you try to remove an effect with any of those special pattern matching characters in it. That's a guess.

I'm not actually sure what to do here. This is CoreRPG behavior for naming conventions.

Is that Yoshi things name part of the actual starfinder data set?

I would literally have to parse in any string I pass into the CoreRPG code to find every possible special character and guard it with a % or something I think - not really positive on how that works.

I suppose if this is part of the actual data I can try it out - let me know if this was some name you made up or if its their naming convention on this item.

So the brackets are being added when an item is forged in the item creator with templates, in this case, a ysoki suit with 2 armor upgrades. I think Starfinder uses the templated items more then 5e does, which could explain why this behavior hasn't been seen before. I've got a workaround (that my players would probably like, anyway.) What I'll do for now is just leave the armor upgrades as separate inventory items that are stored in the armor, and attach the effects to the individual armor upgrades. It should work, as my players like to swap out upgrades on a regular basis.

Thank you so much for figuring it out, though! There's really so few extensions to use with Starfinder, I was excited to see that yours would work with it.

SilentRuin
August 23rd, 2020, 20:41
So the brackets are being added when an item is forged in the item creator with templates, in this case, a ysoki suit with 2 armor upgrades. I think Starfinder uses the templated items more then 5e does, which could explain why this behavior hasn't been seen before. I've got a workaround (that my players would probably like, anyway.) What I'll do for now is just leave the armor upgrades as separate inventory items that are stored in the armor, and attach the effects to the individual armor upgrades. It should work, as my players like to swap out upgrades on a regular basis.

Thank you so much for figuring it out, though! There's really so few extensions to use with Starfinder, I was excited to see that yours would work with it.

Screw it - I'm just fixing it myself.

I'll call my own code to delete the effect - just tested it. Give me a few minutes to get a new version number get it updated in DMsG and it will be ready - say half an hour because I have to update all the version texts in here and there. Will be less likely but will post back here for you to test.

SilentRuin
August 23rd, 2020, 20:52

Its ready - reload from DMsG and see if it works. Let me know.

I tested it by also changing the Mk 1 to Mk 2 in the text to make sure it respected it all.

In case anyone needs to see the way I'm doing that remove of the effect here is the new code:

-- Had to replace the CoreRPG version as it was doing pattern matches when I'm just after exact matching of text.
function removeEffect(nodeCTEntry, sEffLabel)
if not sEffLabel then
return;
end
for _,nodeEffect in pairs(DB.getChildren(nodeCTEntry, "effects")) do
local sLabel = DB.getValue(nodeEffect, "label", "");
local aEffectComps = EffectManager.parseEffect(sLabel);
if aEffectComps[1] == sEffLabel then
nodeEffect.delete();
return;
end
end
end

Curuthanir
August 23rd, 2020, 21:08
Its ready - reload from DMsG and see if it works. Let me know.

I tested it by also changing the Mk 1 to Mk 2 in the text to make sure it respected it all.

In case anyone needs to see the way I'm doing that remove of the effect here is the new code:

Works perfectly! Thank you!

SilentRuin
November 16th, 2020, 19:26
I have partnered with Grim Press (https://discord.gg/N7MM93a) to handle sales and promo of this extension. I'm just to lazy to bother :)

New grim press video updated on DMsG - old one is still available here.

SilentRuin
December 2nd, 2020, 04:31
There is a bug in equipped effects where if the item is actually in a container (2nd text field in inventory) you can actually equip and unequip the item by equipping or unequipping the container (like backpack or something). This makes no sense to me how I can store something in a bag and have it equipped when you equip the container you have it on - but apparently it was always there.

If you do this you can get a double effect placed on the item and also the "cursed" option is ignored and the player can unequip it by unequipping it in the bag.

I'm going to try and figure out what the heck this is doing and come up with a solution. For me I want nothing in a container actually equipped just because container is equipped - this sounds crazy to me. But when I have a solution I'll update it here.

SilentRuin
December 2nd, 2020, 18:22
There is a bug in equipped effects where if the item is actually in a container (2nd text field in inventory) you can actually equip and unequip the item by equipping or unequipping the container (like backpack or something). This makes no sense to me how I can store something in a bag and have it equipped when you equip the container you have it on - but apparently it was always there.

If you do this you can get a double effect placed on the item and also the "cursed" option is ignored and the player can unequip it by unequipping it in the bag.

I'm going to try and figure out what the heck this is doing and come up with a solution. For me I want nothing in a container actually equipped just because container is equipped - this sounds crazy to me. But when I have a solution I'll update it here.

Fixed as best I can.

V 1.3 - Fixed inventory items in a location allowing cursed items to be unequipped by player. Also prevented duplicate effects being placed. If you toggle a whole location to be equipped and a cursed item is present in that location it won't let a player do it.

vaughnlannister
December 2nd, 2020, 20:33
Thank you :)!

SilentRuin
December 18th, 2020, 22:13
The sales for this product in DMsG may soon be deactivated per this post - will let you know when that happens and when it finds a new home. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64473-How-important-to-Community-is-a-SmiteWorks-store-app-to-do-Extensions&p=565817#post565817)

xTheCanadian
January 28th, 2021, 06:35
Is it possible to set a stat to a certain number? Like the belt of hill giant strength in Dungeons and Dragons 5e sets your strength stat to 21, but the only thing I can do is manually modify a players strength and I have to do it each time they equip or unequip the belt.

SilentRuin
January 28th, 2021, 16:45
Is it possible to set a stat to a certain number? Like the belt of hill giant strength in Dungeons and Dragons 5e sets your strength stat to 21, but the only thing I can do is manually modify a players strength and I have to do it each time they equip or unequip the belt.

All this extension will do is add a custom effect that matches the name of the item you are equipping - or removing an effect that matches the name of the item when unequipping.

As far as the effects go, and lets be honest here, they support very limited logic capabilities - I have no control over that. I actually created a custom effect of "Belt of Hill Giant Strength;" but for the life of me could not figure out a way based on docs (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884913/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation) to create an automatic way to create a custom effect for this thing. First I tried...

"Belt of Hill Giant Strength; STR: 21"

Which of course did not do what I expected. Instead, for some unfathomable reason when I swing my battleaxe in attack and this effect adds +10 to my attack. As my character strength was 12 - I actually can only imagine it was doing 21 + 12 = 33 which the max bonus for strength is then +10.

Based on this theory I then tried...

"Belt of Hill Giant Strength; STR: 9"

Which by this reason should have been 12 + 9 = 21 which is a +5 bonus. Swinging my battleaxe - I get +4 added to attack by effect. Which I would have thought was going to be +5.

I'll skip the math I tried to apply to right of "STR:" as it was a total failure as evidently the idea of allowing calculations is something they though the user would never want to do with effects. You'll have to ask what on earth fantasy grounds was thinking the use of this Ability value was going to be as I have no idea what its currently doing based on their documentation.

If you find a way to make a custom effect for these kind of ability modifications - let me know. Nothing to do with this extension of course - but still - I find it bizarre in how the logic of this is being applied.

SilentRuin
January 28th, 2021, 17:45

After a big discussion in Discord - pretty sure you cannot do this in custom effects. Because the parsing logic is not there. You could do STR: 9 (if your character was Strength 12 - it adds the strength to your strength to generate the [EFFECT+4] to your attacks - that is minus your original strength bonus of +1) - but you'd have to make a custom effect for every strength value and apply the right one to the right character. Not really feasible in the context we are talking about here.

However, it can support extra parsing logic in the action tab powers (magnifying glass) to apply an effect that will do what you want. Here is an image someone gave me in discord... (note this has nothing to do with this extension)

xTheCanadian
January 28th, 2021, 18:09
Hey, thanks for the answers buddy! I was just wondering if it was possible. What I did was just do the math and make the item for that player just add the correct amount of str to bring his stat. I was just wondering if it WAS possible, if not it's not a big deal. This extension already made my life a million times easier by allowing me to make custom items that do (more or less) what I want when equipped and unequipped.

For the item in question I did this

Magnus' Ring; STR: 4

in the effects and it works like a charm to boost their STR to 21 AND they also get the +5 on the rolls. (Magnus' Ring is a ring that an NPC took from another NPC and gave to one of the players, essentially it's a belt of hill giant strength in ring form)

That second one, the spell like effect, is neat but I like how I did it with this extension better, the player can unequip or re-equip the items as needed without any issues.

Thanks for the response and the help though!

Hugh.

SilentRuin
January 28th, 2021, 18:15
Hey, thanks for the answers buddy! I was just wondering if it was possible. What I did was just do the math and make the item for that player just add the correct amount of str to bring his stat. I was just wondering if it WAS possible, if not it's not a big deal. This extension already made my life a million times easier by allowing me to make custom items that do (more or less) what I want when equipped and unequipped.

For the item in question I did this

Magnus' Ring; STR: 4

in the effects and it works like a charm to boost their STR to 21 AND they also get the +5 on the rolls. (Magnus' Ring is a ring that an NPC took from another NPC and gave to one of the players, essentially it's a belt of hill giant strength in ring form)

That second one, the spell like effect, is neat but I like how I did it with this extension better, the player can unequip or re-equip the items as needed without any issues.

Thanks for the response and the help though!

Hugh.

I like that you renamed the generic item into a unique item name to insure someone else with same item did not inherit their specific strength modifier incorrectly. Just remember you'll have to update it when/if their strength ability ever changes. And that every ability modifying item will have to play this same unique name to character matching you have going on here.

xTheCanadian
January 29th, 2021, 05:33
Yeah, I re-use items to make them unique to my story and to suit my purposes. Magnus' Ring was a ring worn by a Dwarf King's brother, Magnus, who used it to cheat in an arm wrestling competition with one of my players. The player asked the Dwarf "Where could I get a ring like that?" and King Ferin tosses him the ring.

xTheCanadian
January 29th, 2021, 07:18
Oops sorry!

graziano.girelli
February 1st, 2021, 20:51
Does this extension work with AD&D ruleset?

celestian
February 1st, 2021, 21:00

You do not need it for the AD&D ruleset, it's built in.

SilentRuin
February 1st, 2021, 21:24

Not sure which is AD&D but I only use it in 5E. As the included Page 1 .txt file shows though it will also work in 2E/3.5E/4E/5E/CoreRPG/PFRPG/PFRPG2/SFRPG rulesets.

SilentRuin
February 1st, 2021, 21:26
You do not need it for the AD&D ruleset, it's built in.

It equips custom effects based on name matches and supports CURSED keywords preventing it from being unequipped? Huh. I admit I know nothing about that ruleset but that does surprise me! In any case, I only use this in 5E so have no real idea of what the other rulesets do.

celestian
February 1st, 2021, 21:39
It equips custom effects based on name matches and supports CURSED keywords preventing it from being unequipped? Huh. I admit I know nothing about that ruleset but that does surprise me! In any case, I only use this in 5E so have no real idea of what the other rulesets do.

The system in the AD&D 2e ruleset (and the Advanced Effects extension for 5e) allows the DM to set any effect on any item that is applied when equipped on pc/npcs in the CT. It also allows you to specifically trigger that effect for a weapon (such that you can have a weapon with +damage to undead/etc but not the other weapons or abilities as would normally happen for a effect). The same system works for pc/npc allowing you to pre-configure effects on them they are applied when placed into the CT. It also has a simple UI for configuring effects.

SilentRuin
February 1st, 2021, 22:08
The system in the AD&D 2e ruleset (and the Advanced Effects extension for 5e) allows the DM to set any effect on any item that is applied when equipped on pc/npcs in the CT. It also allows you to specifically trigger that effect for a weapon (such that you can have a weapon with +damage to undead/etc but not the other weapons or abilities as would normally happen for a effect). The same system works for pc/npc allowing you to pre-configure effects on them they are applied when placed into the CT. It also has a simple UI for configuring effects.

For sure I agree its not needed then. But also, for sure that is not the same thing. This requires nothing but the name and the effect in custom effects nothing else. Plus it all resolves around the equip/unequip in inventories - nothing else. With the CURSED fun too :) Nothing gets me laughing like seeing a player ask why they can't unequip thing they just attuned to (with the horrible effect on their PC) :)

celestian
February 2nd, 2021, 00:09
For sure I agree its not needed then. But also, for sure that is not the same thing. This requires nothing but the name and the effect in custom effects nothing else. Plus it all resolves around the equip/unequip in inventories - nothing else. With the CURSED fun too :) Nothing gets me laughing like seeing a player ask why they can't unequip thing they just attuned to (with the horrible effect on their PC) :)

I mentioned what I did because I would be very surprised if it worked with the 2e ruleset as I've made extensive changes to the effect system within CoreRPG and the redundancies.

SilentRuin
February 2nd, 2021, 00:28
I mentioned what I did because I would be very surprised if it worked with the 2e ruleset as I've made extensive changes to the effect system within CoreRPG and the redundancies.

All it does is when Equipped is triggered in inventory it will catch it. Read the custom effects - if the first part of it matches the item being equipped - it will apply the effect. If it unequips an item it will check the CT effects for a match and remove it. That and special locking behavior on a custom effect with the keyword CURSED.

Absolutely NOTHING to do with the effect - or its logic - at all. So regardless of what you've done to the effect system - why this would care? I have no idea. I superficially tested it in each ruleset I claim it works in and it worked. No other tests or idea what those rulesets do and I state plainly it was designed and built to be used by me - and I only use 5E.

Still no worries - I don't think anything you've done would effect this (no pun intended).

SilentRuin
February 11th, 2021, 02:18
I can barely wait for TEST to drop. I've just made a new version of Equipped effects but it's under TEST so I'll have to wait to deliver it after TEST drops. Still I'll give a hint:

This new feature is guarded to only come into play in 5E (as spell is not thing in other rulesets).

But if you use 5E like me...

Not all items can be defined by a custom effect. In fact, I got really annoyed that I had to create a power for my ring of animal influence and ring of the ram that I was putting into a campaign. Not to mention a healing potion. Now standard procedure is to make the power and copy it in the Spell area so that it can be reused in the campaign later. But I was annoyed. It was making me have to do stuff as a DM and that impinged on my feelings of entitlement to be lazy.

So...

I made import/export buttons for saving custom spells (in DB under spell) to an XML file. This way I never had to remake one of these suckers ever again. The down side is they always will be put into unassigned in import - that's just the way DB.import works - but I can live with that. So now my powers are able to be dragged into any future campaign just by picking the .xml I stored them in. Lazy point 1 solved.

I still did not like the effort involved in tracking these things. So as this already adds matching inventory items that equip/unequip for custom effects adding into CT - I decided that I wanted these spell/powers to be automatically added and removed from my PCs (cant' do it in NPCs unfortunately). So I added it in right after it does the matching custom effect. Potion of healing - item dropped in inventory - equipped - matching custom spell/power found in DB - POOF power is under Equipped Items power category in actions tab of my PC! Unequipped and its GONE! I don't have to do anything - pay attention to anything - lazy point 2 solved.

That's it. It doesn't sound like much does it? But oh... it helps me hugely. And if I have a special item that needs both a custom effect and a spell/power to define it completely? HA! DONE!

Now if you create your spell/power under something other than that Equipped Items category - the DB remembers and will create that blank name in addition to putting it under new Equipped Items category. Just delete the original spell/power and save the new one from that category and old blank one will no longer be created. It's a DB thing.

It also has an option to turn this new feature off in options in case you have some kind of crazy custom spell/power names that match item names or something. Of course, its defaulted to ON though :)

If TEST drops on Feb 16 then that is when this new version will appear. Just FYI :)

vaughnlannister
February 11th, 2021, 12:07
Hey SilentRuin, that's sounds like a very exciting update :D, look forward to when you bring it out for us!!!

rtrevino
February 13th, 2021, 02:09
Hello,

I've installed the extension, and works as expected, but here is the thing, how do I remove the effects being vissible on the chat box for the players to see?? in other words, how do i set the effect to be vcisible ony to the DM?

Thnks!

SilentRuin
February 13th, 2021, 05:44
Hello,

I've installed the extension, and works as expected, but here is the thing, how do I remove the effects being vissible on the chat box for the players to see?? in other words, how do i set the effect to be vcisible ony to the DM?

Thnks!

The extension only adds/removes the custom effect in the combat tracker, the rules for custom effects are the same as they have always been in FGU. The doc for those is here (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884913/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation). As far as the actual custom effect window in FGU - yes, if you disable the eye icon it is only visible to the GM and not the players.

If already in combat tracker effects can be made visible or not to players by the button on the left when you expand out the combat tracker entry on the host.

SilentRuin
February 13th, 2021, 16:33
Hello,

Thnks!

Wait a second. Are you talking about the chat message that shows the effect being added in? The way its working is if the item is ID'ed for the player then the effect is visible. If the item is not ID'ed for the player then the effect is not visible.

This was done so that the item could be hidden from user in custom effects list yet still be visible to player when the item was ID'ed. The reasoning being that if you attune to the item and know what it is - then you know what the effect is. The only way you'd be able to hide an ID'ed item would be to manually go into the combat tracker for that entry and set visibility to GM only. But of course the chat would have shone the effect being added in.

There was no easy way to hide the custom effect from player eyes and to make sure they could see it after it was equipped - so this was how this extension handles that.

rtrevino
February 13th, 2021, 21:08
Wait a second. Are you talking about the chat message that shows the effect being added in? The way its working is if the item is ID'ed for the player then the effect is visible. If the item is not ID'ed for the player then the effect is not visible.

This was done so that the item could be hidden from user in custom effects list yet still be visible to player when the item was ID'ed. The reasoning being that if you attune to the item and know what it is - then you know what the effect is. The only way you'd be able to hide an ID'ed item would be to manually go into the combat tracker for that entry and set visibility to GM only. But of course the chat would have shone the effect being added in.

There was no easy way to hide the custom effect from player eyes and to make sure they could see it after it was equipped - so this was how this extension handles that.

That did it!!

Thank you very much, it is flawless.. :) I will be having fun later today..

SilentRuin
February 13th, 2021, 21:13
That did it!!

Thank you very much, it is flawless.. :) I will be having fun later today..

Well when the test server goes live (supposedly Feb 16) I'll be putting a new version update out which will allow you to do equip/unequip of action tab powers in a PC along with the any custom effects it currently matches. So that will be really fun ;)

This screen shot is of an equipped Ring of Fire Elemental command (after having killed an elemental) - one of the most complex items I could find requiring a power and a custom effect to properly define it. As best one can. When I unequip it both that power and effect in CT go away. Then equip they come back.

masterqgj
February 13th, 2021, 21:36
Well when the test server goes live (supposedly Feb 16) I'll be putting a new version update out which will allow you to do equip/unequip of action tab powers in a PC along with the any custom effects it currently matches. So that will be really fun ;)

This screen shot is of an equipped Ring of Fire Elemental command (after having killed an elemental) - one of the most complex items I could find requiring a power and a custom effect to properly define it. As best one can. When I unequip it both that power and effect in CT go away. Then equip they come back.

This looks awesome!

SilentRuin
February 13th, 2021, 21:45
This looks awesome!

I doubt you'd be so excited if you have to figure out how to keyin that power and effect, took a couple questions in discord just to try and get close to what it should be! All my stuff does is match the custom power (in spell list) and custom effect that matches the name. You still get the "awesome" fun of making the powers and custom effects yourself :) Though it will have an import/export for custom spells like I did for custom effects. With the same draw backs - it stores them by child ID. If you are working in the same campaign this will work out overlaying them on eachother - but if you had duplicate child ID's with different data (say from different DB or vastly changed DB) then you will get wiped with the latest import of that child ID. But better than nothing or going to all the trouble of using the /export chat command to make some module of your data then using that. I'm lazy - I can live with a few child ID's wiping each other out if I don't play the import/export XML file game correctly.

Weissrolf
February 15th, 2021, 10:47
We are using this extension for our PF2 Ranger's "Hunt Pray" effect. Equipping his weapon applies the player effect on him, then when he applies the target effect on a NPC the player effect becomes active. In the past we just put the player effect on him, but it often happened that we accidentally deleted the effect after combat and then forgot to reapply it next time. Now it's always present when the corresponding weapons are equipped.

SilentRuin
February 15th, 2021, 17:00
Someone asked me to add import/export to notes for this next release - and as I want that also - I did. As usual same caveats apply:

NOTE: While this extension supplies import/export buttons for custom effects, notes, and spells they will replace the child ID's in your campaign DB. This can cause weird results if you import an XML file with child ID's that match ones currently in use. If the XML was created from the same campaign then this will normally never happen - but if you have existing data and the XML data is from that campaign it can. Using the FG chat \export keyin to export the data and create a module which you can then use is another way to do this sort of thing. Just not as easy - but noting this as my buttons are for my lazy use and I understand what can happen. Now so do you.

So when TEST drops to LIVE (and I get all my extensions uploaded) this will be part of new version also.

SilentRuin
February 16th, 2021, 22:57
you must update extensions - they will have issues with latest fgu update - if you don't update fgu then keep your old extension

SilentRuin
February 16th, 2021, 22:57
YOU MUST UPDATE EXTENSIONS - THEY WILL HAVE ISSUES WITH LATEST FGU UPDATE - IF YOU DON'T UPDATE FGU THEN KEEP YOUR OLD EXTENSION

Plus this one has new functionality see version info.

SilentRuin
February 18th, 2021, 19:23
V 1.5 - BUG - the idiot (me) messed up all spell list filtering was bungled in my override by having a semicolon instead of a comma in the new override for the Spell button. Fixed.

Yeah you read that correctly. Some idiot put a semi colon instead of a comma in their override of Spell button structure which basically dropped off all filtering in that thing. Result being you see filters have literally every single possible filter variant showing.

SilentRuin
February 18th, 2021, 19:47
V 1.6 - BUG - same as V1.5 for notes button also.

SilentRuin
February 23rd, 2021, 17:43
Another cut/paste error from TEST code that was later fixed by FGU in spells button filtering. I'm in the process of fixing it.

SilentRuin
February 23rd, 2021, 19:30
V 1.7 - BUG - same as V1.6, more semicolons and a function in the structure that had to be duplicated. To be clear - source filtering in spells was still messed up. Fixed.

Thanks to Superteddy57 for working through this with me - I would not have spotted that function in the structure without his help and the final solution was his also.

DMMoseley23
February 28th, 2021, 05:08
I really like this extension and the potential for automating certain weapon effects, particularly cursed items. That said, I'm still a newbie when it comes to the syntax for programming them.

I have a player who has the Berserker Greataxe which is cursed: Curse. 1) This axe is cursed, and becoming attuned to it extends the curse to you. As long as you remain cursed, you are unwilling to part with the axe, keeping it within reach at all times. You also have disadvantage on attack rolls with weapons other than this one, unless no foe is within 60 feet of you that you can see or hear. 2) Whenever a hostile creature damages you while the axe is in your possession, you must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or go berserk. While berserk, you must use your action each round to attack the creature nearest to you with the axe. If you can make extra attacks as part of the Attack action, you use those extra attacks, moving to attack the next nearest creature after you fell your current target. If you have multiple possible targets, you attack one at random. You are berserk until you start your turn with no creatures within 60 feet of you that you can see or hear.

I don't expect part 1 can be automated per your extension, but I wonder if part 2 can be? If so, I can't figure out the right coding. I understand how to activate it (by equipping), but after that, it's not clear how to trigger the save when attacked/damaged (or if it's even feasible). Any help or solutions is appreciated :).

SilentRuin
February 28th, 2021, 05:30
I really like this extension and the potential for automating certain weapon effects, particularly cursed items. That said, I'm still a newbie when it comes to the syntax for programming them.

I have a player who has the Berserker Greataxe which is cursed: Curse. 1) This axe is cursed, and becoming attuned to it extends the curse to you. As long as you remain cursed, you are unwilling to part with the axe, keeping it within reach at all times. You also have disadvantage on attack rolls with weapons other than this one, unless no foe is within 60 feet of you that you can see or hear. 2) Whenever a hostile creature damages you while the axe is in your possession, you must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or go berserk. While berserk, you must use your action each round to attack the creature nearest to you with the axe. If you can make extra attacks as part of the Attack action, you use those extra attacks, moving to attack the next nearest creature after you fell your current target. If you have multiple possible targets, you attack one at random. You are berserk until you start your turn with no creatures within 60 feet of you that you can see or hear.

I don't expect part 1 can be automated per your extension, but I wonder if part 2 can be? If so, I can't figure out the right coding. I understand how to activate it (by equipping), but after that, it's not clear how to trigger the save when attacked/damaged (or if it's even feasible). Any help or solutions is appreciated :).

I'm not an expert at action powers (spells) or combat tracker effects (I do know effects in powers have more supported syntax than combat tracker's). Basically all my stuff does is if you create a power - copy it to your spell list and name it the exact name of whatever you are equipping - it will be put into your PC sheet and removed as you equip and unequip. Same for custom effects. As far as what can be done with either? Up to you and what FGU lets you do. Me? I not an expert. You'd have better luck asking in the forums how you can code a PC action power and/or custom effect to handle it. I just switch em out for you and lock them in if CURSED keyword is in combat tracker effect.

SilentRuin
March 12th, 2021, 17:05
Just loaded TEST for lighting - all my extensions work fine with it. But this one... WOW!

Just made this custom effect "Torch; LIGHT: 20 torch" and with my equipped effects unmodified as is I can now equip the torch - light appears on map - unequip torch - light goes away - and its remembered across maps and sessions because its on CT!

And in my world of extensions that means if I equip the torch on PC or NPC it works :)

As token light is not remembered when set through map between sessions or even maps - this is a life saver!

Works as is - now - today :)

Arghun
March 13th, 2021, 15:54
Do you know if your extension works with Celestian's Advanced Effects by any chance? I'm actually only looking to use the CURSED effect for specific items. Thanks for letting me know!

SilentRuin
March 13th, 2021, 16:17
Do you know if your extension works with Celestian's Advanced Effects by any chance? I'm actually only looking to use the CURSED effect for specific items. Thanks for letting me know!

Don't even know what that is. Sorry.

vaughnlannister
March 27th, 2021, 14:32
-Removed cause I forgot to add the quote I was referring too :P-

vaughnlannister
March 27th, 2021, 14:33
I can barely wait for TEST to drop. I've just made a new version of Equipped effects but it's under TEST so I'll have to wait to deliver it after TEST drops. Still I'll give a hint:

This new feature is guarded to only come into play in 5E (as spell is not thing in other rulesets).

But if you use 5E like me...

Not all items can be defined by a custom effect. In fact, I got really annoyed that I had to create a power for my ring of animal influence and ring of the ram that I was putting into a campaign. Not to mention a healing potion. Now standard procedure is to make the power and copy it in the Spell area so that it can be reused in the campaign later. But I was annoyed. It was making me have to do stuff as a DM and that impinged on my feelings of entitlement to be lazy.

So...

I made import/export buttons for saving custom spells (in DB under spell) to an XML file. This way I never had to remake one of these suckers ever again. The down side is they always will be put into unassigned in import - that's just the way DB.import works - but I can live with that. So now my powers are able to be dragged into any future campaign just by picking the .xml I stored them in. Lazy point 1 solved.

I still did not like the effort involved in tracking these things. So as this already adds matching inventory items that equip/unequip for custom effects adding into CT - I decided that I wanted these spell/powers to be automatically added and removed from my PCs (cant' do it in NPCs unfortunately). So I added it in right after it does the matching custom effect. Potion of healing - item dropped in inventory - equipped - matching custom spell/power found in DB - POOF power is under Equipped Items power category in actions tab of my PC! Unequipped and its GONE! I don't have to do anything - pay attention to anything - lazy point 2 solved.

That's it. It doesn't sound like much does it? But oh... it helps me hugely. And if I have a special item that needs both a custom effect and a spell/power to define it completely? HA! DONE!

Now if you create your spell/power under something other than that Equipped Items category - the DB remembers and will create that blank name in addition to putting it under new Equipped Items category. Just delete the original spell/power and save the new one from that category and old blank one will no longer be created. It's a DB thing.

It also has an option to turn this new feature off in options in case you have some kind of crazy custom spell/power names that match item names or something. Of course, its defaulted to ON though :)

If TEST drops on Feb 16 then that is when this new version will appear. Just FYI :)

Hey, I got this to work just today :), really cool thanks :), I'm thinking about doing the same for Spell Scrolls :P and adventuring gear, though there are scrolls for each spell which would mean a lot of work :sweat:, anyhow thanks again for making small improvements on things you've spotted and find annoying :)!!

SilentRuin
March 29th, 2021, 20:24
For reasons of my own I was only prepared to update DMsG and Page 1 of this thread for the last few version updates - but now... I am ready to trigger the notification of them (thread won't notify changed if I change a previous page like updating page 1 - and only watchers of DMsG would know to update without that notification). So... consider yourselves notified :)

V 1.8 - Feature - will now go after all "effects" not just in DB but in modules also. Will also go after "spell" first then "reference.spells" in modules looking for a match. The option to turn off spell searching has now been changed to turn off reference.spells searching in case you have a large number of read only modules and spells (it will search the whole thing every time you change equip status so if slowed you can turn this off). By default this will be off - requiring you to copy any module spells you wish to match so they are in your local DB "spell" node. If you turn it on it will search the DB first then look through all modules for a match.

V 1.9 - Feature - added new option to search for template item names as a possible effects/power(spell) name match. It will search through name of item and if no match found for effects/power(spell) will then search through the item's list of spells which is where template names are stored with an undefined link. Any undefined link in that list will be used as a name search till a match is found for effects/power(spell). This option is defaulted to off.

V 1.10 - Feature - will now respect item ID and item attunement (finding "Required Attunement" text in rarity DB value) if present. If IDed will work as usual showing matching effect in CT and matching spell/power in actions [actions tab(PC)]. If not IDed and not requiring attunement then effect in CT will be gmonly visible and no spell/power will appear in the actions. If not IDed and requiring attunement then nothing will be shown in CT or actions. If ID of item changes and the item was equipped then it will be unequipped and equipped to update the new ID rules above.

V 1.11 - Changed defaults for V 1.8 & 1.9 options to be "on: by default. This way if you have .mod tailored to work with equipped effects it will be ready to go immediately. And if you don't want it to look up things in .mod file it can be turned off. Still will always look in local DB before it goes to look up match in .mod file no matter what options are set too.

SilentRuin
March 29th, 2021, 22:32
V 1.12 - Added option to ignore ID considerations of V1.10 so that when ON it will require DM to change the effect GMOnly flag in combat tracker manually - and will initially be whatever custom effect has it defined as. This will be turned OFF by default.

SilentRuin
March 30th, 2021, 17:51
For people who use equipped effects and are dead lazy like me - don't like to define custom effects and spell/powers for your items and want them all to play nice in the new lighting environment - this new .mod file(s) will allow you to simply load the module data and forget about it. Drop item in inventory - equip or unequip it - and based on ID rules in this extension will have the CT effect and/or spell/power applied to your PC(actions tab). You never need worry about doing anything. There will always be weird hard to define rules and things in the world of "D&D 5E books" but this takes all the hard tedious work out of it for me. Links to get it and track it are in here...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects

SilentRuin
April 1st, 2021, 16:15
I'd also like to give a shoutout about a free alternative to my equipped effects - it does not do the same exact things but MeAndUnique is definitely adding interesting things into it. So if you don't like paid I fully recommend his Kit-N-Kaboodle (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65937-5E-Kit-N-Kaboodle) :)

SilentRuin
April 2nd, 2021, 07:18
V 1.13 - Feature - If you have Map Parcels then an NPC will have inventory. This will now call the Map Pacels code (if present) when equipping or unequipping NPC inventory. It will simply do the same thing Map Parcels does adding the item into the Main Page actions and removing it just as if you had dropped the item in when using map parcels. The only difference is that it will be added when you equip the item and removed when you unequip the item. It has always supported the custom effects adding into combat tracker if there is an NPC inventory and its equipped or removed on unequipped - and still CANNOT support spell powers as that is uniquely PC data structure. But it can support the base item text for items and what that gives an NPC in terms of clicking fields and combat tracker attack lines added in and removed as the item is equipped or unequipped. This is mostly for me. As I'm pretty sure not many people bother equipping or unequipping NPC inventory I'm not bothering to add an option for this - it will just start happening as I want it for me.

Reminder: If you unequip armor and do not equip any replacment armor you will have to manually edit the NPC armor field to be whatever it will now be. I have no way of knowing what it should be turned into once unequipped. Obviously if you screw up and equip things that are not really relevant - that's on you. Dragon with leather armor - dumb - and will be way less of an armor class but not going to stop you from doing things like that :)

SirMotte
April 2nd, 2021, 14:29
I'd also like to give a shoutout about a free alternative to my equipped effects - it does not do the same exact things but MeAndUnique is definitely adding interesting things into it. So if you don't like paid I fully recommend his Kit-N-Kaboodle (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65937-5E-Kit-N-Kaboodle) :)

Good and fair thing to bring this up!

Are you guys planning on adding the possibility to pre-define charges to eg. scrolls aswell?

SilentRuin
April 2nd, 2021, 16:30
Good and fair thing to bring this up!

Are you guys planning on adding the possibility to pre-define charges to eg. scrolls aswell?

Not a Data guy. But I'm trying to resolve why his charges are not currently working in his .mod file in another thread. Something is different. Right now I have to copy the power to get charges to show up (not straight out of .mod file - which is not yet delivered but will be soon).

SilentRuin
April 2nd, 2021, 17:58
Note: with new ability to equip(add)/unequip(remove) NPC items in main page actions via Map Parcel code you should simply NOT USE the NPC inventory to equip/unequip anything if you don't want the NPC's features/abilities to change. I like being able to drop items into NPC - like vial of acid or something - and immediately have it available for use in combat tracker attack line. But others may not like NPC standard abilities for a weapon or something changed from their default - which this will surely do if the name matches. Me - I do. Not everyone's cup of tea though so just don't mess with NPC inventory equip/unequip and you'll be fine - otherwise - use your common sense :)

Also the black highlight around whatever is equipped can be removed by simply unlocking and relocking the sheet if it bothers you. Not planning on looking into this as I suspect its a harmless artifact of me allowing things to change outside of locked state (locked state always throws up that black outline border around the action).

Ludd_G
April 2nd, 2021, 18:28
I love the idea of an NPC having the same weapon as it's mini when I get back to the table (I've been using FG for running my face to face games even before I started running them online!) and being able to tweak an NPC's loadout to add flavour/balance to an encounter as I'm running it.

Cheers,

Simon

SilentRuin
April 2nd, 2021, 19:40
I love the idea of an NPC having the same weapon as it's mini when I get back to the table (I've been using FG for running my face to face games even before I started running them online!) and being able to tweak an NPC's loadout to add flavour/balance to an encounter as I'm running it.

Cheers,

Simon

Just remember my warnings above. I'm not going to stop people doing dumb things with it - that's on them. Dumb can be smart when dealing with fun variances and I'm not going to limit it. That's on you :)

SilentRuin
April 2nd, 2021, 20:06
While you can drop an item into an NPC (map parcel) not in combat tracker (which will add it into the inventory) - you can not use equip/unequip to do anything to it as this extension is designed to work on things in combat tracker (effects and powers adding and removing). If you want to work on an NPC with equipped effects to store as a later template for others in combat tracker you will have to work on it in combat tracker then when done copy it to your NPC list (group) for use later. Otherwise, pure Map Parcels dropping an item into the NPC (non CT version) is only way to add it into main actions page. And removing manually only way to remove it. Just FYI.

SilentRuin
April 2nd, 2021, 21:44
V 1.14 - Feature - it has been requested that V1.13 is a big change in behavior and that it be an option turned off by default. "Allow NPC modification" is the new option defaulted to off. Turn it on to get the equip/unequip NPC feature (V1.13) to work in combat tracker.

This means by default the equip/unequip NPC abilities active in combat tracker NPC will be off. Turn on to use this new ability. The auto equip aspect of adding things in was messing with some random loot stuff so turn it off and on at will as you modify your CT NPC entry.

SilentRuin
April 7th, 2021, 22:15
V 1.15 - Features - New Options added "Update when added into CT" defaulted to "on"; and "Add/Remove Abilities" defaulted to "on". The new features will look up matches to custom effects and powers for abilities (Feats, Features, and Traits) for a PC. They will also look up custom effects for Traits and Actions in an NPC. When adding a PC/NPC into combat tracker it will insure all custom effects (and powers for PCs in actions tab) are automatically updated per all the equipped effects rules. For a PC abilities will be added to effects/powers when the Feat, Feature, or Trait is added into the abilities tab. They will be removed when they are removed out of the abilities tab. For NPC's this is done in the main page in the same manner but only for effects.

Most powerful understated features I've done to date in this. Heh - and nobody will notice likely - except the one that counts - me :) No videos just the blurb above. Very powerful. Hopefully I've not busted it adding this cool stuff (for me), but as I'm always saying - EXTENSIONS = RISK! And I'm sure someone will let me know if it explodes.

These features will be very handy in the next week for Aridhro's stuff here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects

I don't do DATA. You can make your own. But I use his :)

SilentRuin
April 8th, 2021, 05:06
V 1.16 - Kludge (till a better idea occurs to me) - Added hardcoded conflict name list - at time of this version that only has "shield" in it. A new option "Skip Conflict Names" defaulted to "on" will allow users to ignore the conflict list if they wish. It only applies to powers applied by equipped items, feats, features, or traits. Custom effects will still match and go into CT. For example, the name "shield" conflicts with the spell "shield" so equipping it would cause it to add that as a power. Which is wrong. This will now not do that. But since people can do what they want with the names they want - I have the option allowing it to be turned off.

MeAndUnique
April 11th, 2021, 03:08
For anyone interested, Kit'N'Kaboodle (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65937-5E-Kit-N-Kaboodle) has been updated to work with version 1.17 of Equipped Effects. When the two are used in conjunction Equipped Effect's ability to automatically add powers when an item is equipped will add the powers to the item, which can then be configured for recharging functionality (e.g. gaining 1d6 charges on a long rest).

SilentRuin
April 11th, 2021, 04:48
For anyone interested, Kit'N'Kaboodle (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65937-5E-Kit-N-Kaboodle) has been updated to work with version 1.17 of Equipped Effects. When the two are used in conjunction Equipped Effect's ability to automatically add powers when an item is equipped will add the powers to the item, which can then be configured for recharging functionality (e.g. gaining 1d6 charges on a long rest).

Rumor has it Aridhro’s data will be coming out with something relevant to last few updates here also, Soon:tm:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects

Data.... bleh ;)

SmackDaddy
April 12th, 2021, 21:49
SR, M&U and Aridhro -- keep up the tremendously awesome work you are all accomplishing together. Now that I have figured out how to get the most out of Silent's stuff, man, mind -- blown!!! Great stuff and I just wanted to tip my hat to you all!!!

SilentRuin
April 12th, 2021, 22:04
V 1.18 - Feature - new option "Spell Import Export(restart app)" defaulted to "on" will now allow you to remove the import/export buttons for spell button to prevent any conflicts. Just turn option to "off" and restart the app.

SilentRuin
April 20th, 2021, 21:37
V 1.19 - Bug - CURSED was not working with template items. Fixed.

Some things in Aridhro's data use item templates to define name matching - this had a bug in the CURSED logic that did not respect that additional search.

Thanatos0042
April 28th, 2021, 22:05
Here is the error again,

[4/27/2021 6:58:55 PM] [WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

[4/27/2021 6:59:04 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:208: attempt to index global 'vClause' (a nil value)

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

[4/27/2021 6:59:29 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:208: attempt to index global 'vClause' (a nil value)

[4/27/2021 6:58:23 PM] EXTENSION: Equipped Effects v1.19 for Fantasy Grounds Unity \rCopyright 2021 SilentRuin \rWill create and remove effects and spell powers (5E only) based on equipped or unequipped inventory items.

I made a 10th level Barbarian. Worth noting he has a 20 STR. I tested with various weapons, but I initially used a magic Greatsword.

I added a Belt of Cloud Giant Strength. Added him to the combat tracker, adjusted the Strength Value (27-20, replacing the X).

I set was testing combat, so I set up a random goblin and a random map from FG, put the tokens on it and tested to-hit rolls and damage. To-hit roles worked fine, but damage rolls resulted in this error.

I tested on a Monk as well, but the error only appears when using STR based weapons/damage and not when using Finesse weapons.

I've been able to duplicate it again and again. I can probably make a video of it if you can't duplicate it.

Let me know.

thanks.

SilentRuin
April 28th, 2021, 22:09
Here is the error again,

[4/27/2021 6:58:55 PM] [WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.

[4/27/2021 6:59:04 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:208: attempt to index global 'vClause' (a nil value)

[4/27/2021 6:59:29 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:208: attempt to index global 'vClause' (a nil value)

[4/27/2021 6:58:23 PM] EXTENSION: Equipped Effects v1.19 for Fantasy Grounds Unity \rCopyright 2021 SilentRuin \rWill create and remove effects and spell powers (5E only) based on equipped or unequipped inventory items.

I made a 10th level Barbarian. Worth noting he has a 20 STR. I tested with various weapons, but I initially used a magic Greatsword.

I added a Belt of Cloud Giant Strength. Added him to the combat tracker, adjusted the Strength Value (27-20, replacing the X).

I set was testing combat, so I set up a random goblin and a random map from FG, put the tokens on it and tested to-hit rolls and damage. To-hit roles worked fine, but damage rolls resulted in this error.

I tested on a Monk as well, but the error only appears when using STR based weapons/damage and not when using Finesse weapons.

I've been able to duplicate it again and again. I can probably make a video of it if you can't duplicate it.

Let me know.

thanks.

Yeah I let you know in other thread that I tried it with a belt of hill giant strength - and had no problems. For sure you will explode if you try to give the effect parser garbage - which that "STR: 21-X; note replace X with strength" will be if you don't replace it with STR: 9 (if your strength is 12 for example). See other reply in other thread.

Thanatos0042
April 28th, 2021, 22:35
Well an update in instructions might be called for, I thought it was to be used as a dash, not a minus so I wasn't thinking math...

but, I did just test with your example...belt of hill giant strength, barbarian with str 12, I replaced the value with 9...and still have the error.

SilentRuin
April 28th, 2021, 22:35
Here is the error again,

Let me know.

thanks.

Going to try to repeat something here I thought I PM'ed you but does not seem to show in my messages as sent.

I've tried to get it to error with Aridhro's original unchanged effect text, with the 21-12 in it, and with the 9 put it in, and it gives 0 errors. Aridhro can't duplicate this either.

So another question - leaving the effect in CT as you have it - getting out of app - turning off all extensions - coming back up into FGU and doing the damage - do you get the error?

I'm almost thinking you have some other LUA parser or deeper debug stuff in your operating system or something based on the buildslave directory error you have going on - as that is nothing to do with FGU. That is something else entirely - and once it errors - all the errors after are just unwinding from that one.

You don't have the unity engine or something loaded on your machine do you?

SilentRuin
April 28th, 2021, 22:39
Well an update in instructions might be called for, I thought it was to be used as a dash, not a minus so I wasn't thinking math...

but, I did just test with your example...belt of hill giant strength, barbarian with str 12, I replaced the value with 9...and still have the error.

See my last message. That first error is just nothing to do with FGU - its almost like you have your own unity engine running or something.

Thanatos0042
April 28th, 2021, 22:44
Yeah, I get the error without any mods running...let me make a video to show you...picture is worth 1000 words they say...

And no, I don't have any kind of unity engine installed in my Windows 10 manchine...but as I said, I do have some games that run under unity like FGU.

give me a few to figure out video recording.

SilentRuin
April 28th, 2021, 22:46
Yeah, I get the error without any mods running...let me make a video to show you...picture is worth 1000 words they say...

And no, I don't have any kind of unity engine installed in my Windows 10 manchine...but as I said, I do have some games that run under unity like FGU.

give me a few to figure out video recording.

I'd give the video in house of healing under a new thread to smiteworks. The fact you have nothing else up and running but RAW FGU and still get that error is something I can't help you with.

My guess is still there is a runtime library conflict on your machine where you are making FGU pick up the wrong runtime library but your going to have to ask them. It's either an older one than they use or a newer one and something they do is no longer working.

But really the video will not help solve this one. Only figuring out where that first error is coming from will help. As its not their stuff - therefore is not correct.

Thanatos0042
April 28th, 2021, 23:02
okay, I'll direct them to these errors.

thanks.

Fix in the base code - here's the post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59490-Equipped-Effects-Extension-(-ext-file)-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity&p=596937&viewfull=1#post596937

SilentRuin
May 1st, 2021, 13:24
V 1.20 - Feature - new option "Display first link" defaulted to "off" will allow the first link of any power stats windows (spells), npc other tab window, or item windows to have its text expanded and displayed first. This will only work if the link data can be found. For example, if the link is to the PHB and the PHB is not loaded then this will do nothing for that power. Limits link search to classes of reference_spell, power, reference_weapon, reference_magicitem, reference_armor, reference_equipment, item, itemtemplate, reference_feat, reference_classfeature, reference_backgroundfeature, reference_racialtrait or reference_subracialtrait.

Smiteworks recently determined that a number of .mod data files have been copying WOTC .mod data to such an extent that they could actually be used in place of those modules. As that is a violation of license agreements all .mod files that do this have been instructed to change. In most cases, this involves supplying reference links to the WOTC .mod data (not copied text descriptions). From the user's perspective this means that these .mod files will be redelivered at some point soon with data links in place of actual text descriptions (originally copied from WOTC mods). Basically, where you used to see a spell description, npc other tab text, or item descriptions immediately when you click on their links - you will have another link you will need to click (to WOTC mod data) to see the text. This way WOTC mods will be required to be loaded with the .mods that are supplemental to them and can't be replaced by them. And if unloaded the links will give the FG module not loaded message.

In light of this, as I'm paired with Aridhro's 5E Automatic Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects) I decided to provide this new optional (turned off by default) behavior to display the first link in the text/description where it is displayed ONLY in the window sheet and not recorded in the DB at all. That way if link leads to .mod data not loaded (say WOTC data link) then nothing will be displayed. This will comply completely with the Smiteworks directive and yet from user perspective have minimum impact as when they click on a spell/npc/item link that leads to another link to get the description/text they will actually not have to do the additional click as the text will be there. Aridhro should have his .mod files updated in the coming days to reflect these required data changes and at that point you can turn the option to expand first links on. Obviously, if something has a link I support that does not make sense to expand it will still do so. Simply turn off the option if you don't want to expand something.

SilentRuin
May 1st, 2021, 21:03
V 1.20 caused a conflict due to the NPC other tab changes going to tinker with it a bit and possibly get a new version out when (if) I solve it.

SilentRuin
May 1st, 2021, 23:17
V 1.21 - Bug - had to redo the NPC order tab logic to prevent some conflicts with other extensions.

knorbet77
May 2nd, 2021, 04:12
V 1.20 - Feature - new option "Display first link" defaulted to "off" will allow the first link of any power stats windows (spells), npc other tab window, or item windows to have its text expanded and displayed first. This will only work if the link data can be found. For example, if the link is to the PHB and the PHB is not loaded then this will do nothing for that power. Limits link search to classes of reference_spell, power, reference_weapon, reference_magicitem, reference_armor, reference_equipment, item, itemtemplate, reference_feat, reference_classfeature, reference_backgroundfeature, reference_racialtrait or reference_subracialtrait.

Thanks for this. I would have gotten used to clicking twice to get to the spell description but this makes the experience far more seamless. Great work.

SilentRuin
May 3rd, 2021, 23:58
V 1.22 - Bug - Duplicate entries added into NPC main page when items were equipped that had template data. Fixed.

This also required a fix to Map Parcels to not modify AC stat in NPC main page when new option is "on" - as equipped effects will add an NPC AC stat bonus with an effect in combat tracker if you use data like Aridhro's which I do.

SilentRuin
May 14th, 2021, 23:59
If you see this warning ignore it. I basically merged into everything that would potentially display description text with a link in it - and reference_npc window was one of those that would need the other tab modifications I made to do this for Other data in NPC's. But now it appears its not even used in FGU. If that turns out to be the case (I'm asking) I'll remove it in next version. For now, just ignore it - its harmless.

[WARNING] windowclass: Window class (reference_npc) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [EquippedEffects] [ref/ref_npc.xml]

SilentRuin
May 15th, 2021, 00:25
DMsG has been updated - but no version change was made. Purely up to you if you take this update as it will have no real impact on you.

Removed code that was generating a false warning - no version update for this.

SirMotte
May 16th, 2021, 11:06
DMsG has been updated - but no version change was made. Purely up to you if you take this update as it will have no real impact on you.

Removed code that was generating a false warning - no version update for this.

Less warnings that confuse the nosy customer are always a good thing ;).

Leprekorn
May 18th, 2021, 14:00
Not sure if you are aware but equipped effects seems to change the description on some magic items to a spell that they can produce. The example attached is Spider Staff 46870 46871
The only extension I had active in the second example was equipped effects and I had none in the first.

SilentRuin
May 18th, 2021, 14:53
Not sure if you are aware but equipped effects seems to change the description on some magic items to a spell that they can produce. The example attached is Spider Staff 46870 46871
The only extension I had active in the second example was equipped effects and I had none in the first.

I am totally aware this is possible. Per when I implemented V1.20, I described it in detail (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59490-Equipped-Effects-Extension-(-ext-file)-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity&p=597522&viewfull=1#post597522). As I described there, there is no magic bullet to translate firsts links in the text/description data. The default to do that is OFF for that reason. You have to actually turn it ON to get it to do that and as described there, you would turn if OFF if you don't want it to do this. Catch 22 - you turn it ON to allow the new WOTC data support rules to translate a temporary display of the first link for your convenience, or you deal with the data as it is (leave this option turned OFF). There is no way to determine if a "first link" makes sense to be translated or not - in Aridhro's data that is how it is created as a support module is not allowed to directly reference another modules (WOTC) data without a link (insuring that module has to be loaded and owned).

I don't know what "spider staff" is but I personally don't have it so Assume it is homebrew or some other data source I don't use. For sure I have "spider scroll" which works fine as the first link is a link to the WOTC module data as it should be if you are using this option. The option allows you the ease of seeing data that conforms to this type of first link rule - but by no means can cover every data's use of links outside of data that does conform to those rules.

Leprekorn
May 18th, 2021, 14:56
Spider Staff is a magic item from LMoP. Thanks for the clarification on why its happening.

SilentRuin
May 18th, 2021, 15:00
Spider Staff is a magic item from LMoP. Thanks for the clarification on why its happening.

LMoP? I know Aridhro is working through all the data modules so you might want to get with him if he is going to hit whatever this is. In my world, I use PHB, DMG, and MM data modules and Aridhro's supplemental data for PHB and DMG. So all the stuff conforms to the first link rule. If I did not use his supplemental data then the normal PHB and DMG data would be showing the same bogus first text translation that you are seeing (first link would not be relevant to expand and temporarily display in your sheet as first text), and would leave the option OFF if that were the case. If I'm mixing data? Then probably leave it off to be safe, or turn it off and on as you need to or just live with extra first text section that does not really make sense to be there - the next section of text following will be the normal data.

Leprekorn
May 18th, 2021, 15:03
It's an Adventure Lost Mines of Phandelver. I'm happy to live with the extra text.

SilentRuin
May 18th, 2021, 15:08
Is an Adventure Lost Mines of Phandelver. I'm happy to live with the extra text.

Once Aridhro is done with all the data he is supporting I can revisit how I'm doing "first link" translations and see if there is some pattern to only do certain things. But its a generic feature that does not care who's data it is - its going to translate the first link or not based on option setting. For sure it does not translate all first link types, but spell is one it does.

Leprekorn
May 18th, 2021, 15:09
Thanks I appreciate your time explaining this and all the work you put in.

SilentRuin
May 18th, 2021, 15:31
Thanks I appreciate your time explaining this and all the work you put in.

A solution for you is to do what other modules do and put in an image as the first link. Then you will see what you want as image is not something I'll translate. That's what raw PHB and DMG data does which is why you won't see this issue with that unmodified data. I doubt there are many types of this "first link is spell" type of things so just correct them in the Host version of that module data (you'll lose the changes if you revert the data be aware - but otherwise they will be permanent for that campaign).

Leprekorn
May 18th, 2021, 18:37
I may well give that a go

Leprekorn
May 19th, 2021, 21:38
Followed your advice worked as you said. Thanks for the help.

mordkhaan
May 22nd, 2021, 00:07
Am having some trouble getting the Glowing Shortsword +1 from CoS to have its light effects work on equipping
Have copied what works for Torch, Lantern and Sunsword but still wont trigger on equipping?
eg on Actions tab of item, Added Power called Glowing Shortsword, then added effect with LIGHT: 30 lantern target SELF

SilentRuin
May 22nd, 2021, 04:48
Am having some trouble getting the Glowing Shortsword +1 from CoS to have its light effects work on equipping
Have copied what works for Torch, Lantern and Sunsword but still wont trigger on equipping?
eg on Actions tab of item, Added Power called Glowing Shortsword, then added effect with LIGHT: 30 lantern target SELF

As we discussed on discord - you wanted that as custom effect not a power if you want it auto added into CT.

mordkhaan
May 22nd, 2021, 07:00
And... you were right ,as per usual!
I now have a lovely Glowing Shortsword effect setup on the effects table which auto loads in the CT when equipped!

SilentRuin
May 25th, 2021, 13:31
V 1.23 - Feature - New option "Translate NPC Powers" will be defaulted to "On". Where spell powers have always risked having spell/power actions missing or mangled in combat tracker NPC list of things they can do (on host - or on player with Assistant GM), this new feature will insure any power created for (in) a PC will be properly shown in the combat tracker for an NPC list of things they can do. You could never do everything in the text that a PC could do - but the combat tracker list was supposed to allow that - which it never really did well. Now this will translate the unseen powers into the NPC CT entry correctly and completely. You have to add NPC into CT to get those things to update. I did not fix/change that aspect on how FGU works, so that if you drop in spell in CT entry its still not going to do it correctly per normal.

This new feature solves some annoyances and help Aridhro provide me with some more specific data for NPCs in his delivery. I'm fixing the age old pain in my FGU where PC generated powers in the action tab never successfully translate down into the combat tracker (CT) expanded action lines (for host or if you have assistant gm - for players). I'm tired of bogus effects popping up due to parsing problems and outright missing action power operations for the NPC in combat tracker list of actions. Anyway, fixed. It will be defaulted to ON in the options. Usually I turn stuff like this OFF by default - but the CT data for NPCs offends me with how it does not have all the power/spell data now. Aridhro's data has some issues with some effect text he used [] with but they will be fixed in his next release. In the end, as in most of my stuff - the rules are purely generic. This will work find with the default PHB or DMG data or any other name matching data you create in your NPC that matches a power you created (usually by using the PC sheet action tab and creating the spell/power actions in there).

SilentRuin
May 25th, 2021, 15:12
Bug in release - working on it now. If you mouse over one of the NPC main sheet fields the parse will sometimes error.

SilentRuin
May 25th, 2021, 15:39
Fixed the bug - no release version change - just updated DMsG.

SilentRuin
May 25th, 2021, 18:18
V 1.24 - Bug - fixed problem with hover over NPC text.

Bug took some more fixing warranting a version update.

kevininrussia
May 25th, 2021, 19:54

Bug took some more fixing warranting a version update.

Just downloaded from DMsGuild and its showing <version>1.23</version>

SilentRuin
May 25th, 2021, 20:14

Actually looks like it still is 1.23 on the version popping up in text - though it is the right version with fix. Let me get this updated again (sigh)

SilentRuin
May 25th, 2021, 20:21

Ok it should be V 1.24 showing up in chat now.

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 02:12
Still bugged - working on a fix - this last fix basically stopped it from translating NPC CT action lines (I think they are the same - the hover text fix really just skipped it all all the time).

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 02:41
V 1.25 - Bug - fixed where nothing translated anymore from 1.24 attempted fix.

Ugh - V1.23 has the new feature and V1.24 and this one were an attempt to fix hover text errors then to fix the complete disablement of all the functionality in V1.23. Should now have translated NPC powers in CT actions lines fixed and working.

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 20:13
Aridhro is willing to give so much more detail to his users. He spoils them. But as he went to the effort to give some examples of the latest feature in here that has been implemented - I'll just link in his explanation...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects&p=603178&viewfull=1#post603178

Even though my users are tough and don't need all this type of spoiling and over indulgence - I figured I'd link it in anyway ;)

daggerfortysix
May 26th, 2021, 21:50
I am using v1.25 and it is still throwing [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/string_powerdesc_asd.lua"]:72: attempt to compare nil with number when hovering over an NPC main sheet field.

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 21:54
I am using v1.25 and it is still throwing [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/string_powerdesc_asd.lua"]:72: attempt to compare nil with number when hovering over an NPC main sheet field.

That sounds like V1.23 - what version is showing in your chat? One person I know who downloaded it in DMsG used some bulk loader stuff I've never seen and it would never pull the right version. Pull the Account->updated things->Download out of DMsG and see what happens.

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 22:05
That sounds like V1.23 - what version is showing in your chat? One person I know who downloaded it in DMsG used some bulk loader stuff I've never seen and it would never pull the right version. Pull the Account->updated things->Download out of DMsG and see what happens.

Resolved incompatibility with new DMsG delivery - no version change just upped load order.

daggerfortysix
May 26th, 2021, 22:12
Definitely 1.25 so I'll hunt down the other extension and axe it.

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 22:16
Definitely 1.25 so I'll hunt down the other extension and axe it.

Resolved incompatibility with new DMsG delivery - no version change just upped load order.

daggerfortysix
May 26th, 2021, 22:31
I can confirm that translation of NPC powers works perfectly when only Generic Actions, Equipped Effects, Polymorphism, Map Parcel, Combat Groups, Assistant GM, and Sir Motte's Magnific Darkness are activated. I am Hunting down the culprit now...

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 22:34
I can confirm that translation of NPC powers works perfectly when only Generic Actions, Equipped Effects, Polymorphism, Map Parcel, Combat Groups, Assistant GM, and Sir Motte's Magnific Darkness are activated. I am Hunting down the culprit now...

daggerfortysix
May 26th, 2021, 22:38
Thanks for that info. Would the _asd point to Advanced Spell Damage or is that purely coincidental? I'm not pointing fingers by any means, just trying to maximize my ability to track down the incompatibility.

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 22:42
Thanks for that info. Would the _asd point to Advanced Spell Damage or is that purely coincidental? I'm not pointing fingers by any means, just trying to maximize my ability to track down the incompatibility.

SilentRuin
May 26th, 2021, 22:45

Redelivered with higher load order and fixed all incompatibilities.

SilentRuin
May 27th, 2021, 02:03

SilentRuin
May 27th, 2021, 10:52
Another issue I'm working on where links in hovered highlighted text don't always trigger.

SilentRuin
May 27th, 2021, 12:37
V 1.26 - Bug - fixed where no NPC text from main page could trigger hover double click to roll dice or drag dice into chat.

SilentRuin
May 29th, 2021, 23:48
V 1.27 - Change - The way I implemented V1.23 had to much RISK of conflict (or future potential conflict) with other extensions. I've redesigned it to solve the V1.23 feature in a different safer way. From the users viewpoint you will see no changes from V1.26.

I had another extension (or someone who had the same hover error) occur again with V1.26. This made me decide to just rewrite how I was approaching the problem so that I could completely avoid overwriting (using) code that was prone to conflicts (other people overwriting it in their extensions).

No difference between V1.26 from user's perspective - the V1.23 features should now be fully working without the large RISK of conflicts in that area of the code. There is always RISK - but this will reduce it.

SilentRuin
May 30th, 2021, 21:16
V 1.28 - Bug - units in custom effects were not being respected (been like this since inception of this extension). FGU will turn any units of hour or day into 0 duration (forever) so only rounds or minutes will get you the full round count. They do that as that many rounds becomes unrealistic. If you want the CT to have the true rounds use rounds or minutes in custom effects.

Basically, since last year when this first came out - it has ignored units in custom effects. Nobody noticed till now - likely because most use RND to define time. Now it will respect the time - though like custom effects dragging into CT it will put a 0 duration for anything with units of hour or day. I set the units, what the underlying FGU code does with them is the same for this extension.

SilentRuin
May 31st, 2021, 15:21
V 1.29 - Bug - if no power actions are found for a name match keep searching, and if nothing is found process the previous text parsing logic. This allows name matches that have no power actions defined to still potentially get actions added into the CT via pure text parsing.

Someone who had hundreds of modules was encountering an issue where no actions were being added into a CT line. It occurred to me that if you have name match - but that power has no power actions defined (just text) then this would generate nothing after the text for the CT action line. I've now changed the logic so that it will continue searching for a name match if no power actions are found - and to process the original text parsing to fill out the CT actions if it finds no power actions after processing all the name matches in the modules.

SilentRuin
June 2nd, 2021, 05:30
V 1.30 - Feature - FGU 5E has added the "attune" DB attribute into item inventories which will now be respected by this extension. Previously, a determination was made that CT effects/PC powers would only be automatically added to an item that required attunement when equipped if it was identified. Now if it is identified and requires attunement it will also check the new "attune" DB data in order to add the effect to the CT or PC powers. Like with the "isidentified" value if "attune" is changed it will recheck the previously mentioned logic to see if the item should have the effect defined in CT (or PC powers) or not.

Was about to go to bed when I noticed a new FGU update. After comparing the 5E/CoreRPG things per usual I noticed new functionality of attunement was added. Essentially if an item requires attunement it will now have a radio button to check off. As previously I was determining if something was attuned or not by whether it was identified and required attunement - I have now added in the additional check to insure it is actually attuned. Changing the radio button for this will trigger a reevaluation if the effect needs to be added or removed from the CT for this item - just like the ID icon switching does.

SilentRuin
June 2nd, 2021, 20:12
Equipped Effects is interfering with editing NPC other tab information. I'm looking into it now. Workaround is to close NPC sheet after unlocked and bring it back up.

SilentRuin
June 2nd, 2021, 20:35
V 1.31 - Bug - A truly stupid mistake on my part where I renamed a subwindow but forgot to change the .lua code name used to reference it. Gist was - NPC other tab would not recognize the unlock state and would not allow you to edit the NPC other tab unless you exited the sheet (with it unlocked) then came back up in the sheet. FIXED.

A truly STUPID error on my part. While creating the first link translation feature I had to redo the way other tab was being processed. After all tested - I decided to rename the subwindow I used and forgot to rename the code I had that updated using that name. Anyway, fixed now.

Leprekorn
June 2nd, 2021, 20:44
Not sure if its an equipped effects issue but suddenly all magic items are showing as identified even if I toggle.

SilentRuin
June 2nd, 2021, 20:49
Not sure if its an equipped effects issue but suddenly all magic items are showing as identified even if I toggle.

No idea what you mean. I use what is in my signature and if I hit ID on the sheet - it toggles - I can see it toggling by the fact the attune radio button will appear(IDed)/disappear(not IDed) if it requires attunement. So not sure what your trying to say.

Leprekorn
June 2nd, 2021, 20:53
My players are able to see magic items as if they are identified. Have you checked as a player?

SilentRuin
June 2nd, 2021, 20:55
My players are able to see magic items as if they are identified. Have you checked as a player?

Checking now.

SilentRuin
June 2nd, 2021, 21:00

Again it works fine.

Never say never, but given what you had me try - I could not duplicate it.

Are you having me debug your extensions for you as I am usually one of the more responsive developers? ;)

I'd much prefer you actually prove its my stuff (by having only my extension present) than have me debug it and try to duplicate something like this in the future.

If you do manage to show its happening only with my stuff, then we can get together to see what is going on, as it must be something unusual as I can't duplicate it with a host or client.

Leprekorn
June 2nd, 2021, 21:08
I’m in the middle of a game. So I’ll do a debug later

SilentRuin
June 2nd, 2021, 21:11
I’m in the middle of a game. So I’ll do a debug later

Just first duplicate it with your own host and client. Then remove all extensions but mine and try to duplicate it. Then add one extension in at a time till you see what is causing it. Then once you find that one - pull out everything but that one and see if its just a bug in it. Otherwise, if it works by itself you will have to add in other extensions with it till a conflict (the bug) shows up. Only way to find this sort of thing. And to determine if its a bug in an extension or a conflict with one or more of them. Extensions = RISK.

Leprekorn
June 2nd, 2021, 21:26
No worries. Will try later just knew you had made a change re attunement and thought it might have had an effect.

Leprekorn
June 3rd, 2021, 09:00
So I went through the above steps and was unable to replicate so there must have been some kind of load error in last nights game. Sorry for the false flag.

MorpheusUK
June 3rd, 2021, 09:06
Well done, 'Equipped Effects' extension is fantastic. :)

The only improvement I can see is for it to remove items from your inventory when consumed, is there a way of doing this or maybe you have another extension in progress that could do this function?

SilentRuin
June 3rd, 2021, 13:55
Well done, 'Equipped Effects' extension is fantastic. :)

The only improvement I can see is for it to remove items from your inventory when consumed, is there a way of doing this or maybe you have another extension in progress that could do this function?

May want to check into the free extension Kit-N-Kaboodle (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65937-5E-Kit-N-Kaboodle) as I think it does something with charges and stuff.

MorpheusUK
June 3rd, 2021, 16:20
May want to check into the free extension Kit-N-Kaboodle (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65937-5E-Kit-N-Kaboodle) as I think it does something with charges and stuff.

Thank you, I will give Kit-N-Kaboodle a try. :D

SilentRuin
June 4th, 2021, 16:34
Aridhro has delivered his latest set of data conforming to the name matching I support in equipped effects. The latest addition in here was to pave the road for his latest Monster Manual supplement data in 5E Automated Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects) which he has just delivered. A note on the NPC stuff (his monster manual data provides these PC power actions for them and chat boxes to do it manually without my stuff - you'll have to read up on it)...

Just remember your CT will not auto update - you will have to drag the chat data into it - or use equipped effects - and FGU only EVER changes that CT action list when the NPC is initially added into the CT. So existing campaigns with an active combat tracker would have to have the NPCs removed and readded into the CT. The reason I do not allow this to automatically happen is because it is pandora's box when someone has NPCs they have locally defined in CT (you don't want to change those automagically - which is probably why FGU only updates on the add into the CT)

SilentRuin
June 5th, 2021, 00:38
V 1.32 - Conflict - the conflict I resolved in V1.27 was only resolved by making the other extension work - mine still did not translate NPC powers at all. I have hopefully, and finally, resolved this conflict so that I actually work also.

SilentRuin
June 5th, 2021, 10:26
Note - if you use "Translate NPC Powers" with Advanced Spell Damage extension not all of the upcasting will be parsed as the data is no longer the same for things as it used to be. They now include all of the power actions defined - if they are defined. That is a limitation in using these extensions together. You can just turn off "Translate NPC Powers" if you want the original data and the original parsing of that data in Advanced Spell Damage to fully play out. Same for Spell Tokens. See Aridhro's workaround below.

Aridhro
June 5th, 2021, 10:57
Note - if you use "Translate NPC Powers" with Advanced Spell Damage extension not all of the upcasting will be parsed as the data is no longer the same for things as it used to be. They now include all of the power actions defined - if they are defined. That is a limitation in using these extensions together. You can just turn off "Translate NPC Powers" if you want the original data and the original parsing of that data in Advanced Spell Damage to fully play out. Same for Spell Tokens, though that can be worked around if you do something elaborate like first turn off "Translate NPC Powers" and take the resulting NPC you add into the CT and copy it back into NPC list. Then remove from CT - and take that copy and put it back in. Or so I'm told.

I can confirm the following workaround works for both 'Advanced Spell Damage' and 'Spell Tokens'

Workaround 1 (CT to CT)
Set "Translate NPC Powers" option to OFF
Add NPC to CT
Set "Translate NPC Powers" option to ON
Drag NPC from combat tracker to combat tracker

Workaround 2 (CT to DB to CT)
Set "Translate NPC Powers" option to OFF
Add NPC to CT
Drag NPC from CT to NPC list (putting it in your campaign db)
Set "Translate NPC Powers" option to ON
Add your newly made NPC to CT

(second workaround lets you prep all your casters in advance)

Result:
NPC with spell tokens, upcasting ability and most importantly: The 5eAE DATA

Jaegar
June 5th, 2021, 17:13
I wanted to say thanks!
This helps so much!
Rock On!

SilentRuin
June 8th, 2021, 20:14
V 1.33 - Feature - added option "Item Subtype Search (requires restart)" defaulted to on. This will add a subtype search to the Item list. Largely because I've always been annoyed I could not search for ammunition and had to dig through tons of entries to find them. Plus its useful for other stuff. If another extension your using modifies the item list you can just turn this option off and restart the app.

I grew annoyed at never being able to search for subtypes in my world. So as I was modifying notes and spells already in here I added in items. Optionally of course in case it is not wanted by others or something someone else uses already does it. Pretty much for me.

Weissrolf
June 8th, 2021, 21:15
Any search improvement is a good improvement. Still waiting for a means to search for all "Fae" up to level X.

ChrisRevocateur
June 9th, 2021, 00:52
When loading this extension into a PFRPG campaign, no other extensions at all, NPC records have the "Spells" tab replaced by a copy of the "Other" Tab.

damned
June 9th, 2021, 00:54
Its a 5E extension.

ChrisRevocateur
June 9th, 2021, 01:00
From the readme in the original post:
Equipped Effects Extension (.ext file) [Fantasy Grounds Unity (2E/3.5E/4E/5E/CoreRPG/PFRPG/PFRPG2/SFRPG rulesets)]

Ruleset definitions from the extension itself:
<ruleset>
<name>2E</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>3.5E</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>4E</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>5E</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>CoreRPG</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>PFRPG</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>PFRPG2</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>SFRPG</name>
</ruleset>

So no, it's not just a 5E extension, and if it is then SilentRuin needs to take all those other rulesets out and I'd be pretty disappointed I spent money on something that said it would work for PFRPG and then just didn't.

damned
June 9th, 2021, 02:22
From the product page

"Note: This extension was created for Fantasy Grounds Unity 5E ruleset. It has not been extensively tested on FG Classic and thus will not be supported / maintained with FG Classic in mind. Use on FGC at your own risk.
Also, understand that Extensions = RISK: We want users to understand that extensions are code that is added or overrides portions of code in the Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU) application. When the underlying code in FGU changes it can break an extension. We promise to maintain support as FGU is updated. When you run with other extensions they can conflict by trying to overwrite the same parts of the FGU code. We will keep this extensions working with FGU changes, and other extensions created by SilentRuin. We make no promises to resolve conflicts caused by extensions created by other authors."

damned
June 9th, 2021, 02:23
It's sold on the Dmsguild which is only permitted for products for 5E.

I may be wrong but I don't see it advertised as anything other than 5E.

ChrisRevocateur
June 9th, 2021, 02:28
You want me to go through, post by post, showing you the places in this thread and in the comments on that very product page where he says that it's not just for 5E, or do you want to let the developer answer?

SilentRuin
June 9th, 2021, 05:30
You want me to go through, post by post, showing you the places in this thread and in the comments on that very product page where he says that it's not just for 5E, or do you want to let the developer answer?

Ok the other tab I assumed was generic. Keep in mind I ONLY do this for 5E, though originally some people in the early days wanted it for effects in other things and I saw no harm in leaving the extension.xml with those as long as I guarded it with 5E only. I'll take a look if something slipped through - but honestly I left that crap in there way after I added the bulk of the functionality - which is clearly only for 5E which is all I use this in per all the warnings I put out.

SilentRuin
June 9th, 2021, 05:49

Ok I can see having legacy users from last year when I first did this before it went to DMsG and made all my DMsG pages state it was 5E was when I started insuring I guarded against anything 5E only just in case people still had it from way back then. I did not know "other" was something not generic that I could replace but now its guarded. No version change for this as really this effects nobody but where NPC other could not be morphed for the first link translate stuff I was required to put in per WOTC/SW directive on insuring modules that had supplemental data still required the modules they were based on to be loaded. You should have a downloadable version in DMsG with no version change.

SilentRuin
June 9th, 2021, 05:56
If at some point I'm forced to change extension.xml I will - and if I am - then you'll have to add the things you think it can support back in. For now, I'll leave that legacy stuff in as it would not be ethical to suddenly stop supporting the minor stuff just because I've never used those other rulesets. Except in VERY superficial testing last year when I first wrote this just for custom effect name matches. It has moved way past that feature though.

kevininrussia
June 9th, 2021, 06:14
I use this extension with 4e all the time and it’s great. I hope that complainer didn’t ruin it for everybody else.

ChrisRevocateur
June 9th, 2021, 06:30
Ok the other tab I assumed was generic. Keep in mind I ONLY do this for 5E, though originally some people in the early days wanted it for effects in other things and I saw no harm in leaving the extension.xml with those as long as I guarded it with 5E only. I'll take a look if something slipped through - but honestly I left that crap in there way after I added the bulk of the functionality - which is clearly only for 5E which is all I use this in per all the warnings I put out.

Thank you for looking at it. I understand you only aim at 5th Edition, and so things like this are gonna slip through. I really just wanted to let you know about the issue I found so you could decide what to do about it, if anything.

SilentRuin
June 9th, 2021, 14:24
V 1.34 - Feature - new option "Process Multiple Effect Names" defaulted to "off" will allow multiple name matches in custom effects. If you have duplicates in there that you do not wish to process then this should stay "off" - original behavior. But some people require different IF logic in effects which requires separate effect line entries so added this option in. For example, if you have an item name of "Blah" and in custom effects have "Blah; 'test 1", "Blah; 'test 2", and "Blah; 'test 3" you will see all 3 of those effects added into CT when this option is on.

Someone mentioned they had some effects with different IF requirements which could not be put in one custom effect definition. I did not want to change the current behavior of only using first match in case of duplicates or local DB overrides from module custom effects so made the default option "off". Note every match now has to cycle through whole custom effect list with this "on".

Leprekorn
June 9th, 2021, 14:29
V 1.34 - Feature - new option "Process Multiple Effect Names" defaulted to "off" will allow multiple name matches in custom effects. If you have duplicates in there that you do not wish to process then this should stay "off" - original behavior. But some people require different IF logic in effects which requires separate effect line entries so added this option in. For example, if you have an item name of "Blah" and in custom effects have "Blah; 'test 1", "Blah; 'test 2", and "Blah; 'test 3" you will see all 3 of those effects added into CT when this option is on.

Someone mentioned they had some effects with different IF requirements which could not be put in one custom effect definition. I did not want to change the current behavior of only using first match in case of duplicates or local DB overrides from module custom effects so made the default option "off". Note every match now has to cycle through whole custom effect list with this "on".

Based on you last line do you see a performance impact with this on?

SilentRuin
June 9th, 2021, 14:38
Based on you last line do you see a performance impact with this on?

As I don't plan to use it - would I care? ;) In my tiny test - with all of Aridhro's data to find 4 versions of "Torch" one of which was his - I saw no noticeable hit. But of course, I added that line as a WARNING to those who do plan to use it.

Leprekorn
June 9th, 2021, 14:45
Fair enough :D

SilentRuin
June 10th, 2021, 16:57
V 1.35 - Bug - feature/trait/feat could grab a spell instead of a power which caused issues if you had a spell and one of these named the same. Now check that DB level value is 0 for any matching spell to a feature/trait/feat which is what a power should be in this world. Nothing else (items/NPC CT action list) name matching is effected - only feature/trait/list name matching - which now has additional check to make sure level data is undefined or 0. Fixed.

Basically, you should see no impact and have to do nothing with this version change. Essentially it should have never been finding spells only powers for feature/trait/feat name searches for spells and we make that determination by checking the level value as 0. It only effects people with spell name and feature/trait/feat name conflicts where the same name was used but have completely different functions (different spell/power defintions). This would be resolved by leaving the spell name definition alone (had a level) and making sure the spell/power defined for the feature/trait/feat has level 0 defined in it. Cantrip name conflicts your screwed I can only do so much. Also, If you had for some reason used a spell/power with a non 0 level defined as a match for a feature/trait/feat (you should not have) then simply edit the level attribute to 0 and it will find it again. This will not effect spell name matching for equip/unequip items (original feature of this extension) but only the feature/trait/feat spell (power) name matching.

SilentRuin
June 18th, 2021, 23:59
V 1.36 - Bug - Weapon powers are usually created with PCs in mind. And PCs have a separate section in action page for weapon attack/damage. NPCs do not. They have the highlight-able text (usually not very reliable for complex save/effects) and the action list in the CT. If you define a power for an NPC it would always replace the text translation. This would lose the attack/damage info of a weapon (as the power - designed for a PC - would never include that data). This was fixed by adding in the first parsed text up to a powersave or effect for things that had "weapon attack" in description. Result being, NPCs would now have the action list with the attack/damage data for the weapon followed by whatever power was added in, where previously it would be missing (only present in NPC sheet text). Hard to describe this bug, but that is the best I can think to explain it.

You can still always turn off the NPC translation of powers in options if you want.

masterqgj
July 3rd, 2021, 18:43
Hi, is there anything planned to visually show the effects on the datasheet? Like if you have +2 AC that you can see the correct value like "16 base + 2 from a magic item equals 18"? Right now you can only see the base value, and if you get hit you see the magical effects summed up, but in case you need the AC value you cannot see it directly. Same goes for stats and such.

Anyways, the extension is really cool. Thanks for that!

SilentRuin
July 3rd, 2021, 19:17
Hi, is there anything planned to visually show the effects on the datasheet? Like if you have +2 AC that you can see the correct value like "16 base + 2 from a magic item equals 18"? Right now you can only see the base value, and if you get hit you see the magical effects summed up, but in case you need the AC value you cannot see it directly. Same goes for stats and such.

Anyways, the extension is really cool. Thanks for that!

FGU is designed to work with a sheet hardcoding the data that you manually operate on yourself. Effects in FGU are for applying things that are changeable and applied to the rolls on the fly and sometimes only effect them in certain circumstances. FGU will never modify the sheet based on an effect or power definition. Neither will this extension. If you have a feature/feat/trait/item for an NPC or PC that is applied that is going to do a name search and if it finds a match apply and effect and/or power definition to the NPC/PC. In no way will this make effects/powers behave differently than in the stock FGU scenario.

Now armor can modify the AC as you point out but that has nothing to do with this extension. If you have a magic item equipped - that had a modifier - that is only good as long as that item is equipped. And if FGU underlying logic went in and hashed that out and modified your AC - all well and good. But it does not. Nor will this extension as how effects/powers work has not changed - all that has changed is that this will apply name matching effects/powers - it won't change how those get applied or work in FGU.

Short answer, if FGU modifies the sheet based on an effect/power then this will also - its the same operation happening. If it does not, then as this changes none of those applied effect/power operations - neither will it.

masterqgj
July 3rd, 2021, 19:35
Hello SilentRuin,

thanks for the explanation. I'm a bit sad, that FGU does not work differntly, but i guess it is as it is :).

masterqgj
July 3rd, 2021, 21:53
Hello,

i just found a strange behaviour and am not sure if that is right, or what i'm doing wrong. If i add an effect like "Armor; AC: 1" for 1 round and equip the item "Armor" the status effect is lost when you're making a long rest. Do i have to increase the duration? Isn't the extension intended to work around such "issues" or what am i doing wrong?

[Edit] Oh, i saw in the video the duration has to be "0" in this case - is that right?

SilentRuin
July 3rd, 2021, 23:21
Hello,

i just found a strange behaviour and am not sure if that is right, or what i'm doing wrong. If i add an effect like "Armor; AC: 1" for 1 round and equip the item "Armor" the status effect is lost when you're making a long rest. Do i have to increase the duration? Isn't the extension intended to work around such "issues" or what am i doing wrong?

[Edit] Oh, i saw in the video the duration has to be "0" in this case - is that right?

Again, NOTHING to do with this extension. Effects and powers work as they always do in FGU. This extension has no control over how they work. But yes - in FGU - effects of duration 0 are considered permanent.

masterqgj
July 3rd, 2021, 23:30
Thx again and my bad :( i didn't know that 0 was the standard FGU behaviour. Sorry.

pr6i6e6st
July 15th, 2021, 19:04
There’s a conflict with other extensions which add index buttons to library windows like “items” using the LibraryData.addIndexButton() function. For instance, the 5E Random Spellbook Generator adds a button to bring up the generator to the item list. This button is inaccessible while Equipped Effects is loaded, so I suspect something is being overwritten.

SilentRuin
July 15th, 2021, 20:01
There’s a conflict with other extensions which add index buttons to library windows like “items” using the LibraryData.addIndexButton() function. For instance, the 5E Random Spellbook Generator adds a button to bring up the generator to the item list. This button is inaccessible while Equipped Effects is loaded, so I suspect something is being overwritten.

Ok its resolved. FGU has LibraryData structures that I replace and add in things. A while back I added options to resolve any conflicts these caused.

So when you have spell list conflicts (for where I add in import/export buttons which are purely optional) you turn off "Spell Import Export(restart app)" and restart the application.

When you have item list conflicts (like this one - where I added in subtype search for item list) you turn off "Item Subtype Search(restart app)" and restart the application.

I've forgotten most things I've added into my extensions which is why I maintain these threads which contain all the original reasons (like these) on why I added things in.

In the end I wrote this stuff for ME and add things in I want over time.

pr6i6e6st
July 15th, 2021, 20:09
So I've been told. As I don't use these or have any idea what they do I've tried to guess today on what might be something generic I'm not doing correctly. The XML modifications on my side are joins - so as long as the other extensions play nice it should not be that. There are templates involved also - which are typically unshareable with other code which is why I hate them. I'm trying one "guess" to see if the inner workings of a template can call its own super.onInit() in case that's even possible - but if that fails its just an "unknown conflict" until some author explains what it is as I don't use them.

The author of any of these things can feel free to DM me in discord if they have something generic I can supply to resolve it or if I have a bug that somehow causes it. But some things just conflict and I won't add in specific code that is not generic to mine. Its hard enough tracking all the myriad of FGU changes every time they update without trying to manage everything else under the sun in a non generic manner. I've supplied overrides and such (wish FGU would do that) to reach some internals in the code before but that was generic change which I'm always willing to do.

For now, I've not heard back from the person willing to test my "hail mary" with no knowledge of what the other stuff does - but not holding my breath. Some things just conflict - especially if they share template code.

This is all the other extension does by utilizing base code within a unique lua script if that helps.

function onInit()

aRecords = LibraryData.getRecordTypes();
for kRecordType,vRecordType in pairs(aRecords) do
if vRecordType == "item" then
LibraryData.addIndexButton(vRecordType, "button_spellbookgenerator");
end
end
end

SilentRuin
July 15th, 2021, 20:38
I edited out that message as it was resolved - I explained it here...

Ok its resolved. FGU has LibraryData structures that I replace and add in things. A while back I added options to resolve any conflicts these caused.

So when you have spell list conflicts (for where I add in import/export buttons which are purely optional) you turn off "Spell Import Export(restart app)" and restart the application.

When you have item list conflicts (like this one - where I added in subtype search for item list) you turn off "Item Subtype Search(restart app)" and restart the application.

I've forgotten most things I've added into my extensions which is why I maintain these threads which contain all the original reasons (like these) on why I added things in.

In the end I wrote this stuff for ME and add things in I want over time.

It's entirely possible I could write some elaborate parsing of the existing structure and add my stuff into the existing one or modify it - but just not worth it for optional stuff I don't need.

Skexis Chamberlain
July 22nd, 2021, 13:38
Hi,
just discovered that you canīt edit the 'Other' tab of NPCs if this extension is running.
Tested it with a fresh campagin an only this extension loaded.

Running Version is 1.36

Jaegar
July 22nd, 2021, 14:53
I have no problem editing the other tab for npcs.

SilentRuin
July 22nd, 2021, 15:23
Hi,
just discovered that you canīt edit the 'Other' tab of NPCs if this extension is running.
Tested it with a fresh campagin an only this extension loaded.

Running Version is 1.36

My "sLavage" Orc says otherwise. You'll have to explain exactly what you think your seeing so I can duplicate it. I trust your not trying to "edit" some first link display text or something as that would not be editable. Or even visible without my extension (it's optional also).

Skexis Chamberlain
July 22nd, 2021, 17:15
This is a brand new NPC and I canīt click into the field to write anything down.

You can edit text, that ist already in the "Other" Tab, but if itīs empty you cant "activate" it to enter text.

SilentRuin
July 22nd, 2021, 17:28
This is a brand new NPC and I canīt click into the field to write anything down.

You can edit text, that ist already in the "Other" Tab, but if itīs empty you cant "activate" it to enter text.

[Post Edit] Could not duplicate - was able to put in text to other page just fine. Just hard to see flashing vertical line cursor with Sir Motts theme. Click on window - start keying in - works.

Jaegar
July 22nd, 2021, 17:29
Here look at this new npc. The cursor is right below the brown line. You need to place the cursor there first.

SilentRuin
July 22nd, 2021, 17:55
Here look at this new npc. The cursor is right below the brown line. You need to place the cursor there first.

Yep just discovered that myself - the only reason I thought it was duplicated was I could not see the flashing black cursor vertical line on the dark grey background with Sir Motts theme. It works fine. No issues that I can see.

Click on window - start keying in - works.

SilentRuin
July 22nd, 2021, 18:03
Probably the issue was that when you have the title highlighted (from newly creating it) you have to click again to get the cursor into the window because focus is on the title - once to remove focus on title - once to put it into window. That's FGU not me.

Skexis Chamberlain
July 22nd, 2021, 18:23
Nope, error also apeared after I reopend FGU and the NPC and clicked into the text area. The text apperead in chat. But yeah after clicking right beneath the 'name' the cursor appeared. Itīs new to me, that I have to click at a special location, but I can work with it. But itīs extension related. Because this doesnīt happen if the extension isnīt loaded. If it isnīt loaded I just can click everywhere on the "Other" tab and the cursor appears.

Itīs nothing major and like I said I can work with it.

SilentRuin
July 22nd, 2021, 19:30
Nope, error also apeared after I reopend FGU and the NPC and clicked into the text area. The text apperead in chat. But yeah after clicking right beneath the 'name' the cursor appeared. Itīs new to me, that I have to click at a special location, but I can work with it. But itīs extension related. Because this doesnīt happen if the extension isnīt loaded. If it isnīt loaded I just can click everywhere on the "Other" tab and the cursor appears.

Itīs nothing major and like I said I can work with it.

Yeah the other used to be just a text field anchored to the frame which took the entire frame as valid selection. Now its actually composed of two fields and a seperate subwindow and the click will no longer be "the entire frame". I probably could jury rig something with a bunch of trial and error but its simply not worth it to me.

Skexis Chamberlain
July 22nd, 2021, 19:43
Like I said, itīs nothing major. It was at the moment it seemed to not working at all. But at this moment, itīs fine :)

dmbrown
August 9th, 2021, 18:53
I have run into an issue and I am using the latest version and have tested this in a new 5e campaign with just the equipped effect extension and all of the 5e automatic effects modules. If I have a flame tongue sword and have it equipped the effect is in the combat tracker, but it applies the fire damage to all the weapons that are used not just the flame tongue.

I know with advanced effects extension there was an option for action only where the effect was tied to a specific weapon. Is there anything like this for equipped effects currently or in the works?

SilentRuin
August 9th, 2021, 19:13
I have run into an issue and I am using the latest version and have tested this in a new 5e campaign with just the equipped effect extension and all of the 5e automatic effects modules. If I have a flame tongue sword and have it equipped the effect is in the combat tracker, but it applies the fire damage to all the weapons that are used not just the flame tongue.

I know with advanced effects extension there was an option for action only where the effect was tied to a specific weapon. Is there anything like this for equipped effects currently or in the works?

Equipped effects in the most basic description (version info in page 1 .txt file has the non simplistic details as it does more than this) just does name matches for trait/feat/item (PC/NPC) and adds the matching power(into actions tab) and/or custom effect (into CT entry) when you add the PC/NPC into the CT or equip/unequip an item. There is no armor/weapon considerations outside of that. If the flame tongue sword is equipped then you will have those damage features set. And if you are playing the equip/unequip game your not going to have it equipped when your using something else (action tab powers/CT custom effect are added (equipped) and removed (unequipped) real time).

So if you are indeed equipping everything and leaving them all equipped even when not using them - then yes - likely the custom effects will apply to whatever else your running with.

dmbrown
August 9th, 2021, 21:54
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to force my players to just equip what they're actually using at the time. That will help with their long character sheets too.

SilentRuin
August 9th, 2021, 22:19
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to force my players to just equip what they're actually using at the time. That will help with their long character sheets too.

There is not really a solution that fits all cases. Somethings you will want always equipped because the power is wanted to always be in actions tab - other times it may have an effect you always want applied in every situation - other times you will only want the effect when you are using that one thing. Really like everything else its a case by case call.

And of course sometimes you don't want any of this stuff and want to code it directly into the weapon/armor at top of actions tab.

Like all my extensions its a tool - to use as you best see fit.

krush11
August 13th, 2021, 19:12
(First off, apologies if this has been asked before.. but I quickly scanned the 20 something pages of posts, but didn't see this asked specifically..)

Does anyone know if this extension (along with the Automated Effects) has any conflict with Mad Nomad's Consumable Items extension? I don't want to go and blow my money on these paid extensions just to find out they are not compatible or have problems working together. I really like the idea of the consumable items extension being able to track and automatically remove items/effects as they are used, and I can't determine whether this one or Aridhro's extensions does the same thing or not (like removing a potion from inventory when it's used up).

Thanks!

Leprekorn
August 13th, 2021, 19:25
I’m not sure but if you haven’t bought the consumable ext then look into kit and kaboodle for a free similar ext that plays very well with EE.

SilentRuin
August 13th, 2021, 19:48
(First off, apologies if this has been asked before.. but I quickly scanned the 20 something pages of posts, but didn't see this asked specifically..)

Does anyone know if this extension (along with the Automated Effects) has any conflict with Mad Nomad's Consumable Items extension? I don't want to go and blow my money on these paid extensions just to find out they are not compatible or have problems working together. I really like the idea of the consumable items extension being able to track and automatically remove items/effects as they are used, and I can't determine whether this one or Aridhro's extensions does the same thing or not (like removing a potion from inventory when it's used up).

Thanks!

I only use my extensions myself so really don't know. However, if no one reading your post answers you here - you can go into the Grim Press discord (link in page 1) and ask in the fantasy-grounds chat channel (https://discord.gg/mpsqsTNv)

For sure I recommend you do NOT buy any paid for extension (including mine) without thoroughly investigating it and also any free extensions that might be out there first.

As someone mentioned Kit'N'Kaboodle is a free extension that does related things so I'd for sure check into that also as it does charges and stuff like that (I think - as I don't use that either but have consulted with author of it in the past).

Gist is EXTENSIONS = RISK and asking questions like you are is the right way to go about it. Lots of people who do use lots of extensions are on that Grim Press discord and answer stuff like that all the time. I'll post a link to your question there also.

vaughnlannister
August 13th, 2021, 19:59
Hey, Equipped effect and Automated Effects work along nicely with Consumable effects :)

Though I haven't tested this recently, mind you, I will update my post when I have!

Only Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Effects Display, has a bit of interference with Equipped Effect as in it won't automatically apply the effect of equipped items for you, it will add the effect for this item to your action tab, if the spell for it is available, though you would still have to click it yourself.

krush11
August 13th, 2021, 20:09
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will be looking at these closer for compatibility.

MrDDT
August 13th, 2021, 20:12
Hey, Equipped effect and Automated Effects work along nicely with consumable effects :)

Though I haven't tested this recently, mind you, I will update my post when I have!

Only Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Effects Display, has a bit of interference with Equipped Effect as in it won't automatically apply the effect of equipped items for you, it will add the effect for this item to your action tab, if the spell for it is available, though you would still have to click it yourself.

MNM Character Sheet Effects Display does work with EE. Not sure what settings you have but check it.

@Krush11 Kit and Kit'N'Kaboodle works fine with EE and AE., as does Mad Nomad's Consumable Items extension.

vaughnlannister
August 13th, 2021, 20:30
Ok I checked my settings I've got them all turned on for both Equipped Effects and MNM Character Sheet Effects Display.

Though the effect of for example, ring of protection, aren't added automatically when equipped by my PC. And have to still be clicked from the actions tab.
Is this part working for you?

MrDDT
August 13th, 2021, 21:18
Ok I checked my settings I've got them all turned on for both Equipped Effects and MNM Character Sheet Effects Display.

Though the effect of for example, ring of protection, aren't added automatically when equipped by my PC. And have to still be clicked from the actions tab.
Is this part working for you?

I will talk to you in discord, its faster.

graphil
August 17th, 2021, 18:44
I've got Equipped effects and automated effects installed. All the effects modules are loaded. In options I have everything I need on I think.
Test characters are on the combat tracker.
I drag a belt of Cloud Giant Strength over to the character, ID it and equip it.
I see the effect is added into the actions tab under equipped items section but it hasn't added the effect to the combat tracker.
What am I doing wrong?

SilentRuin
August 17th, 2021, 18:57
I've got Equipped effects and automated effects installed. All the effects modules are loaded. In options I have everything I need on I think.
Test characters are on the combat tracker.
I drag a belt of Cloud Giant Strength over to the character, ID it and equip it.
I see the effect is added into the actions tab under equipped items section but it hasn't added the effect to the combat tracker.
What am I doing wrong?

If the named feat/trait/item has matching power (spell) and/or custom effect it will be added into action tab. If not it won't. Powers sometimes have their own effects. For sure if the coder of data knows what they are doing (and Aridhro does) they will not code anything with a custom effect that is not 24/7 active. Any other type of effect will only be applied by the power. And of course any ambiguous effects will not be in custom effects because the user has to do something about them specifically in relation to the power effect (as in edit it or something). I'm NOT a DATA person - but if memory serves - which it often does not hence this thread recording everything (and I think it records what I'm about to say somewhere also) - certain effects (specifically for belts and other things that deal with abilities) do not work in FGU automatically. You have to figure out what it will be based on (likely notes if its aridhro's stuff or something in his story description for the product or in his FG forum thread) and edit the effect for that specific PC action tab power so it applies to that and can be modified later to apply to any changes down the line. But really you'll have to look up that stuff yourself or ask in Grim Press discord - somebody with a better memory than mine will remember. I remember stuff I use in my recent sessions and nobody in my game has these type of "manual edit required" effects.

graphil
August 17th, 2021, 19:13
I see Belt of Cloud Giant Strength in spells under the 5E Automatic Effects Items so shouldn't that be sufficient for it to be added? The action tab gets populated fine, it is the combat tracker not working for me. I also tried with the Ioun Stone (Protection) as demonstrated from the video but that didn't work either.
Most likely me doing something wrong but can't figure it out.

Leprekorn
August 17th, 2021, 19:14
Have you made sure they are identified and attuned?

graphil
August 17th, 2021, 19:16
Ah, that was it. They had to be attuned which I hadn't done.

Leprekorn
August 17th, 2021, 19:17
Cool

SilentRuin
August 17th, 2021, 19:18
I see Belt of Cloud Giant Strength in spells under the 5E Automatic Effects Items so shouldn't that be sufficient for it to be added? The action tab gets populated fine, it is the combat tracker not working for me. I also tried with the Ioun Stone (Protection) as demonstrated from the video but that didn't work either.
Most likely me doing something wrong but can't figure it out.

What the last poster stated and what the version info in .txt file and some conversations in this thread will also state - is that ID and attunement come into play also. If something requires attunement - and is not attuned - then equipping it will obviously do nothing. As it should. Lot of stuff I've added in over time - usually with options - which I'm never going to remember. Hence, the text walls recorded for posterity.

Tatershal
September 13th, 2021, 03:35
Now in Forge. Old DMsG version will be maintained though is no longer for sale there.

Equipped Effects Extension (Fantasy Grounds Unity) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/158/view)

This stand-alone extension for Fantasy Grounds allows your players to gain item-based effects simply by equipping them, which automatically adds the effects to the character in the combat tracker.

This extension unlocks the following functions:

Give characters magic items and allow them to equip them to receive effects that you’ve set up previously —saving time during the session!

Item effects are automatically removed when the item is unequipped.

Make some effects on the combat tracker invisible from your players! The effects are still there, but your players can't see them —cursed items are now possible in FG!

Items tagged with “CURSED” can not be unequipped by the player

Aridhro's 5E Automated Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects) is also supported by this extension.

Additional perk included in this extension:

Import & Export custom effect XML files, so you can take your created effects with you to your next campaign.

Updates:

[See .txt file for early updates and features]

V 1.22 - Bug - Duplicate entries added into NPC main page when items were equipped that had template data. Fixed.

V 1.23 - Feature - New option "Translate NPC Powers" will be defaulted to "On". Where spell powers have always risked having spell/power actions missing or mangled in combat tracker NPC list of things they can do (on host - or on player with Assistant GM), this new feature will insure any power created for (in) a PC will be properly shown in the combat tracker for an NPC list of things they can do. You could never do everything in the text that a PC could do - but the combat tracker list was supposed to allow that - which it never really did well. Now this will translate the unseen powers into the NPC CT entry correctly and completely. You have to add NPC into CT to get those things to update. I did not fix/change that aspect on how FGU works, so that if you drop in spell in CT entry its still not going to do it correctly per normal.

V 1.25 - Bug - fixed where nothing translated anymore from 1.24 attempted fix.

V 1.26 - Bug - fixed where no NPC text from main page could trigger hover double click to roll dice or drag dice into chat.

V 1.27 - Change - The way I implemented V1.23 had to much RISK of conflict (or future potential conflict) with other extensions. I've redesigned it to solve the V1.23 feature in a different safer way. From the users viewpoint you will see no changes from V1.26.

V 1.28 - Bug - units in custom effects were not being respected (been like this since inception of this extension). FGU will turn any units of hour or day into 0 duration (forever) so only rounds or minutes will get you the full round count. They do that as that many rounds becomes unrealistic. If you want the CT to have the true rounds use rounds or minutes in custom effects.

V 1.29 - Bug - if no power actions are found for a name match keep searching, and if nothing is found process the previous text parsing logic. This allows name matches that have no power actions defined to still potentially get actions added into the CT via pure text parsing.

V 1.30 - Feature - FGU 5E has added the "attune" DB attribute into item inventories which will now be respected by this extension. Previously, a determination was made that CT effects/PC powers would only be automatically added to an item that required attunement when equipped if it was identified. Now if it is identified and requires attunement it will also check the new "attune" DB data in order to add the effect to the CT or PC powers. Like with the "isidentified" value if "attune" is changed it will recheck the previously mentioned logic to see if the item should have the effect defined in CT (or PC powers) or not.

V 1.31 - Bug - A truly stupid mistake on my part where I renamed a subwindow but forgot to change the .lua code name used to reference it. Gist was - NPC other tab would not recognize the unlock state and would not allow you to edit the NPC other tab unless you exited the sheet (with it unlocked) then came back up in the sheet. FIXED.

V 1.32 - Conflict - the conflict I resolved in V1.27 was only resolved by making the other extension work - mine still did not translate NPC powers at all. I have hopefully, and finally, resolved this conflict so that I actually work also.

V 1.33 - Feature - added option "Item Subtype Search (requires restart)" defaulted to on. This will add a subtype search to the Item list. Largely because I've always been annoyed I could not search for ammunition and had to dig through tons of entries to find them. Plus its useful for other stuff. If another extension your using modifies the item list you can just turn this option off and restart the app.

V 1.35- Bug - feature/trait/feat could grab a spell instead of a power which caused issues if you had a spell and one of these named the same. Now check that DB level value is 0 for any matching spell to a feature/trait/feat which is what a power should be in this world. Nothing else (items/NPC CT action list) name matching is effected - only feature/trait/list name matching - which now has additional check to make sure level data is undefined or 0. Fixed.

V 1.36 - Bug - Weapon powers are usually created with PCs in mind. And PCs have a separate section in action page for weapon attack/damage. NPCs do not. They have the highlight-able text (usually not very reliable for complex save/effects) and the action list in the CT. If you define a power for an NPC it would always replace the text translation. This would lose the attack/damage info of a weapon (as the power - designed for a PC - would never include that data). This was fixed by adding in the first parsed text up to a powersave or effect for things that had "weapon attack" in description. Result being, NPCs would now have the action list with the attack/damage data for the weapon followed by whatever power was added in, where previously it would be missing (only present in NPC sheet text). Hard to describe this bug, but that is the best I can think to explain it.

Known Caveats:
If you delete an equipped item with an effect before you unequip it - the effect will remain in combat tracker. Unequip any item with effects before you remove it from the inventory.
Effects added by name matching of a custom effect are not done with a Source included as they are assumed to be passive and will not properly function with a (C) Concentration effect. Those should always be defined in power actions for the name matching.

Grim Press overview video from DMsG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbCMehtk68

My long boring silent test video.

https://youtu.be/4epKAV-i-B4

Grim Press will be handling the sales and promotion of this extension.
If you'd like to engage with us, please feel free to join the Grim Press discord: https://discord.gg/N7MM93a

Extensions = RISK: This note is added to all the extensions I maintain. I want users to understand that extensions are code that is added to or overrides portions of code in the Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU) application. When the underlying code in FGU changes it can break an extension. When you run with other extensions they can conflict by trying to overwrite the same parts of the FGU code. I will keep my extensions working with FGU changes, and the extensions I use (listed in my FGU signature) as I have direct control over those things. I cannot make the same promise with other extensions. If I am notified of an incompatibility I will attempt to resolve it - but if I cannot I will list what the known extension incompatibilities are. Understand before you get any extensions that it comes with RISK. Not just my extensions - any extension.

Included is original text used for describing this extension - provided for reference if needed.

We who buy from DMSguild won't have any more updates? There couldn't be a code for us to be able to buy at the forge without paying, we already paid!

SilentRuin
September 13th, 2021, 05:00
You quoted the entire page 1 and didn't read the first line? In Red?

All I can say is your complaint is not true. Per that first line.

damned
September 13th, 2021, 05:07
It was just a question. Relax. English is not the first language of many people here and sometimes things do not come across as intended.

MrDDT
September 13th, 2021, 05:22
We who buy from DMSguild won't have any more updates? There couldn't be a code for us to be able to buy at the forge without paying, we already paid!

Yeah both will be updated. There is no way to give you a code for forge.

DMsG updates faster anyways.

SilentRuin
September 13th, 2021, 05:36
It was just a question. Relax. English is not the first language of many people here and sometimes things do not come across as intended.

My response was factual. Phrased in the same tone the “question” was made. Which was as a statement they were being cheated of updates.

If your going to challenge tone of text replies, always an imperfect endeavor, challenge them in context.

damned
September 13th, 2021, 05:54
You quoted the entire page 1 and didn't read the first line? In Red?

All I can say is your complaint is not true. Per that first line.

My response was factual. Phrased in the same tone the “question” was made. Which was as a statement they were being cheated of updates.

If your going to challenge tone of text replies, always an imperfect endeavor, challenge them in context.

You accused the poster of lying.
The poster asked a question and then made a factual statement.

SilentRuin
September 13th, 2021, 05:59
You accused the poster of lying.
The poster asked a question and then made a factual statement.

Now I accused them of lying by stating their complaint of not having access to DMsG updates was not true?

Seriously, stop interpreting.

Tatershal
September 13th, 2021, 15:36
thank you, i understand, sorry for my google english

SilentRuin
September 13th, 2021, 15:44
thank you, i understand, sorry for my google english

No worries. If it ever updates I only update it in DMsG - and notify in this thread that its been updated. Grim Press handles any updates on the Forge - which is after my DMsG update.

SilentRuin
September 22nd, 2021, 01:07
V 1.37 - Bug - checking for effect duplicates was not taking into account that effects on CT have no units and translate duration into seconds (for minutes) and 0 for (hour and day). Caused mistaken failure of duplicate checks. Fixed.

Nobody ever noticed as it only causes duplicate effects in special circumstances.

SilentRuin
September 23rd, 2021, 19:16
V 1.38 - Bug - checking for effect duplicates was not taking into account that duration effects can be less than original due to counting down. Fixed.

Likely nobody will notice this but me in my testing.

SilentRuin
October 12th, 2021, 16:33
V 1.39 - Feature - will now check for effect/power(spell) name comparisons by first checking if there is a <match name>_<npc name> that matches. This allows for conflicts to be more easily resolved. Before people would add an asterisk to end of name to make it unique but the NPC would also have to be recreated with a matching name (asterisk) added. Now something like "Gust of Wind" which is different for Kraken and Adult Brass Dragon does not need to have the NPC names any different - as it will use those names to look up the unique "Gust of Wind_Kraken" or "Gust of Wind_Adult Brass Dragon".

This was done for a future release of Automatic Effects.

webdove
October 26th, 2021, 16:32
Hi SilentRuin,

I had a game problem last Friday that your extension might be able to fix.

I was running an encounter with a Planetar from City of Eyes. In the CT the Insect Plague power was shown for the Planetar, but it was missing the effect clause "Insect Plague (C)" to cause concentration checks for the Planetar. At first I didn't notice it until players asked if the Planetar was making concentration checks. I had forgotten the exact syntax of that clause which took me a while to correct in the CT and apply to the Planetar.

As I understand Equipped Effects, it has a mechanism that is invoked after an NPC is dragged to the CT which checks for missing effects and adds them to the CT for that NPC from the "Automated Effects" modules.

I was wondering if you could add a mechanism to allow the DM to request a recheck of either one or all NPC's effects in the CT. With that mechanism I could delete the erroneous action (from the FG module) for Insect Plague for the NPC in the CT, ask Equipped Effects to rescan the NPC entries in the CT, find the missing Insect Plague action, and add it from (hopefully correctly coded) "Automated Effects" modules.

Thanks
Web

PS Great Extension.
PPS You could also have another option to override all native NPC CT effect entries with ones from "Automated Effects" for that NPC type under the assumption that "Automated Effects" are more consistently correct than the ones from Smiteworks.

SilentRuin
October 26th, 2021, 22:57
Hi SilentRuin,

I had a game problem last Friday that your extension might be able to fix.

I was running an encounter with a Planetar from City of Eyes. In the CT the Insect Plague power was shown for the Planetar, but it was missing the effect clause "Insect Plague (C)" to cause concentration checks for the Planetar. At first I didn't notice it until players asked if the Planetar was making concentration checks. I had forgotten the exact syntax of that clause which took me a while to correct in the CT and apply to the Planetar.

As I understand Equipped Effects, it has a mechanism that is invoked after an NPC is dragged to the CT which checks for missing effects and adds them to the CT for that NPC from the "Automated Effects" modules.

I was wondering if you could add a mechanism to allow the DM to request a recheck of either one or all NPC's effects in the CT. With that mechanism I could delete the erroneous action (from the FG module) for Insect Plague for the NPC in the CT, ask Equipped Effects to rescan the NPC entries in the CT, find the missing Insect Plague action, and add it from (hopefully correctly coded) "Automated Effects" modules.

Thanks
Web

PS Great Extension.
PPS You could also have another option to override all native NPC CT effect entries with ones from "Automated Effects" for that NPC type under the assumption that "Automated Effects" are more consistently correct than the ones from Smiteworks.

Likely this would cause problems with people who had old stuff on PC/NPC and they would not want it auto updated - which was the reason I did not provide and automatic "match the current module data" to those things. Potential to cause to many problems - best to leave it to manual updates when you have the module or data the way you want it. For sure if you delete the PC/NPC out of the CT and replace it - it will redo the active effects. Though concentration effects would be a manual spell operation anyway I believe (you'd have to cast something - from action tab for PC and from CT actions for NPC).

SilentRuin
November 25th, 2021, 17:55
V 1.40 - Bug - ID and attunement logic was not being applied to power(spell) applied in actions. Result would be player would have the action of the equipped item when it was not attuned. Fixed.

SilentRuin
November 30th, 2021, 21:47
V 1.41 - Bugs/Feature - Fixed effects that were not being updated in CT when a sheet was edited. Fixed text comparisons to make them consistently case insensitive comparisons - some were not. Fixed conflict name check in some cases. NPC name checks for powers and effects will now check for a <match name>_NPC matching spell or effect name if it cannot find a specific <match name>_<npc name> (see version 1.39) match, if neither of these matches then will default to normal "<name>" matching it has always done.

Basically - its a way to uniquely define a power/effect that only applies to NPCs and not PCs.
A conflict name prevention thing.

SilentRuin
December 1st, 2021, 17:01
V 1.42 - Bug - For V1.41 name search changes we only want to do them if a power (in other words not a spell but a trait/action/etc.). We only have desc text in CT power entry we are given so we check for "level:" (case insensitive find) in that string - if we find it then we will not process the V1.41 additional search names.

webdove
December 7th, 2021, 00:35

SilentRuin
December 7th, 2021, 01:35

I don't understand. This is what Raw 5e campaign with no extensions and PHB, DMG, MM as the only data sources.

Which is the same thing you show in your EE version. I even dropped the spell onto the NPC to see if it parsed differently and it did not.

No idea where the longer version you got came from. Here is how EE works - it name matches the name of an item, PC (feature/feat/trait), or NPC (trait/action) to the spell list and custom effect list. Whatever it finds that's how it parses. I don't have enough information to know how you even got the concentration save you are talking about as the normal vanilla 5E nothing special with PHB, DMG, MM does not even produce that. Forget about EE and any supplemental AE data you may have had - the real question is how you ever got the screenshot you showed me.

webdove
December 7th, 2021, 02:29
Sorry, I was using the test server to see if the problem had been fixed.

At first when I tried with all my extension loaded, the Planetar/Insect Plague/Concentration effect was missing.
However, now I am no longer able to trigger the problem even with all extensions loaded.

Sorry for the false alarm.

webdove
December 7th, 2021, 02:31

zanaffar81
January 2nd, 2022, 18:54
Quick question,

I have read, the how to guide in the mod, and I still cannot figure out how to get the "Acid Absorption" effect to work. I have the equipped-effects-extension and the 5e automatic effects monster manual loaded. I have a clay golem in the combat tracker, along with a test PC, and every time I use an acid type for damage (example acid spray) the chat says, damage 0 - clay golem resisted. Also, I have manually added the Acid Absorption effect onto the monster while in the combat tracker. I don't know why it was not preloaded with this effect, but it's not a big deal.

Thank you for your time.

Leprekorn
January 2nd, 2022, 19:10
Did you add the clay golem with the * in front of the name?

zanaffar81
January 2nd, 2022, 19:32
Thank you Leprekorn for the quick reply. I did not use the clay golem with the * in the name. I looked in the 5e automatic effects, within the NPC button, for a clay golem with an * in the name, but there is none listed. I only see 37 monsters listed with an * in the name. Should there be more listed, since I have the monster manual, tasha's, eberron and such loaded along with the 5e automatic effects?

Leprekorn
January 2nd, 2022, 19:36
I know that certain NPCs have * versions that are advised to be used. But if that hasn't then probably isn't required. You could try posting on the Grim Press discord Silent Ruin is very active on there as is Aridhro who creates the automatic effects.

zanaffar81
January 2nd, 2022, 19:38
Thank you for the guidance. At least, I learned about the * for NPC's. I'll go on their discord.