PDA

View Full Version : Top Secret RPG on MoreCore

damned
June 27th, 2020, 08:40
I made a video on creating a Top Secret RPG character and NPC sheet on MoreCore.
https://youtu.be/LmhQU08BSe4

Video Part 2
https://youtu.be/GfU3O9OeOkw

Let me know if this sort of thing is useful to you.
Please use MoreCore 1.59 or later

superteddy57
June 27th, 2020, 10:07
Always good stuff.

esmdev
June 27th, 2020, 12:36
Definitely going to give this a spin. Original Top Secret was one of my favorite RPGs in the early 80s.

damned
June 27th, 2020, 15:22
Here is the content from that video.
Also this was a first draft and it might not survive a baptism of fire.
Happy to hear any feedback - Im probably not going to put a lot of coding effort into this but am happy to do some work.
I think I will make a /tsprimary roll - similar to /rollunder but more accurate reporting and with the Gun Icon too.

Edit: Module now includes /tsprimary
Also now includes Knowledge Table for rolling Areas of Knowledge. Drag the link from Chat to the Character Sheet and Add the Score (also rolled).

LordEntrails
June 28th, 2020, 17:29
Nice! I played the original, back when it was new. Will have to look into it.

esmdev
June 30th, 2020, 06:54
Hi.

I decided to follow the video as a learning experience.

When I am entering the secondaries the box doesn't auto-fill the averaged values (which it does in the video) and if I click the gun icon it rolls vs A+B instead of the average of A+B. I downloaded the latest release of MoreCore before I started the project but was wondering if you are working with one that isn't yet available?

Also:

Life Levels is (Strength + Willpower)/10 (This is basically hit points)
Movement is the sum of Strength+Willpower+Coordination.

Hand to Hand, Wrestling and Surprise Value are all calculated as value+value but are not averaged.

Thanks for the video, despite some things not firing just right it's pretty helpful as a learning tool.

damned
June 30th, 2020, 15:26
Hi.

I decided to follow the video as a learning experience.

When I am entering the secondaries the box doesn't auto-fill the averaged values (which it does in the video) and if I click the gun icon it rolls vs A+B instead of the average of A+B. I downloaded the latest release of MoreCore before I started the project but was wondering if you are working with one that isn't yet available?

Also:

Life Levels is (Strength + Willpower)/10 (This is basically hit points)
Movement is the sum of Strength+Willpower+Coordination.

Hand to Hand, Wrestling and Surprise Value are all calculated as value+value but are not averaged.

Thanks for the video, despite some things not firing just right it's pretty helpful as a learning tool.

Thank you.
Very likely that the roll was improved (fixed?) during the making of the video!
Anyway the rolls are:

/topsecret 1d100<(a)+(b) and then hide (p1)(p3) and drag the appropriate attributes to (a) and (b)
/tsprimary 1d100x(p1) and then hide (p2)(p3) and set the attribute score in (p1) in the character sheet

Are you saying that Hand to Hand, Wrestling and Surprise Value should not be (a)+(b) / 2 but should be (a)+(b)?
How is Movement used mechanically?
Life Level - thanks - there is no Roll needed for this.
Is there any form of Damage Reduction? eg Bullet Proof Vest?

Appreciate the feedback.
Ive also updated the module above to include the new /tsprimary roll.

esmdev
June 30th, 2020, 16:17
Thank you.
Very likely that the roll was improved (fixed?) during the making of the video!
Anyway the rolls are:

/topsecret 1d100<(a)+(b) and then hide (p1)(p3) and drag the appropriate attributes to (a) and (b)
/tsprimary 1d100x(p1) and then hide (p2)(p3) and set the attribute score in (p1) in the character sheet

Are you saying that Hand to Hand, Wrestling and Surprise Value should not be (a)+(b) / 2 but should be (a)+(b)?
How is Movement used mechanically?
Life Level - thanks - there is no Roll needed for this.
Is there any form of Damage Reduction? eg Bullet Proof Vest?

Appreciate the feedback.
Ive also updated the module above to include the new /tsprimary roll.

Hi. I downloaded today's MoreCore update and the calculations are working. :)

Movement is handled using a chart that basically goes...

Correct, Tertiary Traits (hand to hand, wrestling and surprise value) are sum total and not average. They are mostly used as comparisons and not really rolls. Wrestling was actually removed in the 2nd printing and just folded into Hand to Hand.

On life level, is there a way to do a calculation without a die roll in the sheet itself? Like (A)+(B)/10 or something of that nature?

As for damage reduction, the impacted body part being behind any sort of cover is absolute protection otherwise not really. Combat is entirely based on a strike/damage roll that doesn't take the defender into account at all (save for some modifiers from movement, range and such). So if you're being shot at the best you can do is run and dodge while looking for lots of cover.

esmdev
June 30th, 2020, 16:36
Also, there are some stats that aren't represented that are from the Top Secret Companion (basically Advanced Top Secret). The Mad Irishman has a great character sheet that incorporates all of those attributes and such. It includes all the trait calculations.

https://www.mad-irishman.net/pubs/MI_TSAgentsDossier.pdf

Amatiste
June 30th, 2020, 21:41
Hey Damned,

I was working on this from the video, all the calculations work, but the roll icon doesn't change to the gun icon. My roommate's works, but not mine. I have the newest morecore update

damned
July 1st, 2020, 00:12
Hey Damned,

I was working on this from the video, all the calculations work, but the roll icon doesn't change to the gun icon. My roommate's works, but not mine. I have the newest morecore update

Click in the first roll field and out again.

damned
July 1st, 2020, 00:39
Looks liek we need /tstertiary, /tsmove and /tslife rolls too....

tstertiary should be (a)+(b)
tsmove should be (a)+(b)+(c)
tslife should be ((a)+(b))/10

Is that correct?

Amatiste
Damned, Can you add stats and display the sum?

damned
Damned, Can you add stats and display the sum?

What do you mean?

Amatiste
July 1st, 2020, 00:44
You are covering it in the tsmove :) and yes, you're right. Perception uses average, HTH and surprise are sums

damned
July 1st, 2020, 00:55
Guys - what are Fame and Fortune Points and how do you Spend XP?

esmdev
July 1st, 2020, 01:03
Looks liek we need /tstertiary, /tsmove and /tslife rolls too....

tstertiary should be (a)+(b)
tsmove should be (a)+(b)+(c)
tslife should be ((a)+(b))/10

Is that correct?

That looks good.

esmdev
July 1st, 2020, 01:11
Guys - what are Fame and Fortune Points and how do you Spend XP?

Fame and fortune points are basically I don't want to die today points, you can trade in to avoid death and have 1 life level. I can't remember which is which but one of them is a secret amount that only the GM knows and the other is a d10 that the player knows. So you are never entirely sure if you have one left or not. It's kind of sinister.

XP is awarded based on missions and then divided by level and applied to the character. The higher level you are the less XP you get. Every 100 XP allows you to raise a primary score 1 point which slowly makes you more awesome. Most scores just improve calculated secondary and tertiary traits. Knowledge also gives you extra points to allocate to Areas of Knowledge values.

esmdev
July 1st, 2020, 01:17
Speaking of Areas of Knowledge, that is a value between 1 and 150 that is determined by die roll and knowledge point allocation. 130 is the highest value starting but raising knowledge can give you points that can bring it to 150. You get knowlege/10 superior AoKs (with rolled values modified by a table) and then all others at half knowledge. I don't think there are any real MoreCore changes that would be needed for that, it is just a d100 under test with unspecified modifiers (the book really doesn't get into it, kind of sad), but to my knowledge this was the first RPG skill system so it was rules light.

damned
July 1st, 2020, 02:33
Fame and fortune points are basically I don't want to die today points, you can trade in to avoid death and have 1 life level. I can't remember which is which but one of them is a secret amount that only the GM knows and the other is a d10 that the player knows. So you are never entirely sure if you have one left or not. It's kind of sinister.

XP is awarded based on missions and then divided by level and applied to the character. The higher level you are the less XP you get. Every 100 XP allows you to raise a primary score 1 point which slowly makes you more awesome. Most scores just improve calculated secondary and tertiary traits. Knowledge also gives you extra points to allocate to Areas of Knowledge values.

Hero Points would work for the Known one.
I suppose a Similar tool with a (player) hidden value could work for the secret one...

It looks like a Spent XP field is required.

Does each AoK get a unique (random?) value? Or is there some other calculation?

esmdev
July 1st, 2020, 02:50
Hero Points would work for the Known one.
I suppose a Similar tool with a (player) hidden value could work for the secret one...

It looks like a Spent XP field is required.

Does each AoK get a unique (random?) value? Or is there some other calculation?

I was initially thinking to use the abilities/skills section for AoKs but I just saw a minor problem with that because it's an under the value roll as opposed to add the value roll.

There are 42 areas of knowledge (between both the core book and companion), every AoK has an independent value. Superiors will range from 50-130 (starting) up to 150, standard AoKs will have a value equal to 1/2 the starting knowledge. Then any one of those values can be raised from points that are derived from raising knowledge with XP. So you could eventually end up with all 42 AoKs having different values.

damned
July 1st, 2020, 02:59
I would put them all in Rolls 5 and 6.
Id put all the Mods in the general Mods.
Ooooer. I dont think I exported Modifiers....

damned
July 1st, 2020, 03:42
Ive updated the Pregen and added a new Knowledge Table that will help you roll the Areas of Knowledge. It will also drop a link to the AoK Roll that can be dragged into your Characters Sheet.
See the Module on post #3.

esmdev
July 1st, 2020, 03:57
Ive updated the Pregen and added a new Knowledge Table that will help you roll the Areas of Knowledge. It will also drop a link to the AoK Roll that can be dragged into your Characters Sheet.
See the Module on post #3.

Great, thanks.

The AoKs will be a long list in the smallish box but at least we can get them onto the sheet and they roll appropriately. :)

damned
July 2nd, 2020, 01:48
Video Part 2
https://youtu.be/GfU3O9OeOkw

These are not all in MoreCore just yet.
Should /tstertiary rolls actually roll?

esmdev
July 2nd, 2020, 02:33
Should /tstertiary rolls actually roll?

I don't recall any roll for those, the numbers are compared against tables to determine stuff.

damned
July 2nd, 2020, 03:50
I don't recall any roll for those, the numbers are compared against tables to determine stuff.

Great thank you.

Pharo
November 22nd, 2020, 02:07
Just and FYI, alot of this is reusable for TopSecret SI. Thanks!

damned
November 22nd, 2020, 03:21
Just and FYI, alot of this is reusable for TopSecret SI. Thanks!

Great to know. If you could share some character sheets and screenshots that would be great.

Pharo
November 22nd, 2020, 05:40
Great to know. If you could share some character sheets and screenshots that would be great.

Sure, as soon as i get a few things worked out.

Stats/Skill rolls are done Full - 1/2 - 1/4 so im trying to use p1/p2/p3 but theres no real way to roll all three. Best way I could do it was to break it into 3 different lines.

Skills are a little more challenging because they are leveled and have individual bonuses so I was hoping to use all 3 fields, p1 for the level, p2 for the bonus, and p3 for the sum. It works currently with /tstertiary but it orders it "level/sum/bonus"

Quick question, is there a way to move the sum or average fields from /topsecret and /tstertiary over to p3?

daddystabz
December 1st, 2020, 22:55
Is there anything out there for the current version of the ruleset, New World Order? I play in an absolutely amazing and epic online campaign. We have been rolling real dice.