PDA

View Full Version : Cursor pointer precision in FGC

cwsoots
June 26th, 2020, 20:43
I didn't think this topic belonged in the support forum, because I don't believe that it is a 'bug' so I'm posting it here for review.

The cursor point precision is an issue that has bothered me for some time. With screen real estate at a premium in FG, I always place adjacent windows as close as possible without overlapping. However, even when the windows are not overlapping, the cursor pointer 'hot spot' isn't limited to just the tip of the cursor. To demonstrate, see the image below. When I click and drag on the cursor in it's current position on the scroll bar in the Chat window, it instead drags the Combat Tracker window (on the right). This is despite the fact that the point is clearly on the Chat window only.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this in FG? Why does the cursor affect anything beyond where the tip of the pointer is located?

Thanks for your input,
Chris

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2020, 20:57
I believe it's because the cursor is actually not at the tip of the cursor/arrow graphic, but rather the center of it.

cwsoots
June 26th, 2020, 21:26
That seems really counterintuitive to me. Am I alone in this?

Is there any way that can be corrected on the client? Custom cursor, etc.?

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2020, 21:56
I think the reason is actually dependent on the Theme you are using. Each element in the 5e theme has an invisible area surrounding it (I assume for very good reasons) so if two windows are close to one another you may pick up the 'wrong' window because you are actually picking up the invisible bit of the window rather than what is below the invisible bit. Thus although it looks like you are pointing at one window in fact you are pointing at the one 'above' it.

cwsoots
June 26th, 2020, 22:19
Zacchaeus, you're spot on!

I was using the 5E theme. To test your theory, I disabled the 5E theme and went back to using the default (no theme selected). Now, I can have two adjacent windows 'almost' overlapping and the cursor behaves as expected. I can scroll the Chat text without moving the CT. The image below shows the minimum proximity of the windows where the cursor is still able to scroll the Chat text.

I will revert to the default theme for now, but it would be nice if this 'issue' could somehow be corrected with the other themes affected by the "invisible" borders.

Thanks for the conversation!

damned
June 27th, 2020, 01:23
Zacchaeus, you're spot on!

I was using the 5E theme. To test your theory, I disabled the 5E theme and went back to using the default (no theme selected). Now, I can have two adjacent windows 'almost' overlapping and the cursor behaves as expected. I can scroll the Chat text without moving the CT. The image below shows the minimum proximity of the windows where the cursor is still able to scroll the Chat text.

I will revert to the default theme for now, but it would be nice if this 'issue' could somehow be corrected with the other themes affected by the "invisible" borders.

Thanks for the conversation!

It cant be - and it is a problem that is much more apparent with certain themes - particularly the Wizards 5E one.