PDA

View Full Version : [Extension] Arcane Devices

chillhelm
June 26th, 2020, 12:23
Hi everyone,

I've created an extension to facilitate the creation and use of Arcane Devices (SWADE pp. 153).

How to use:
- Download and Enable the attached extension (duh)
- Go to a characters inventory
- Find the brand new Arcane Devices tab
- Create a new item
- open the record to edit the details of that item
- enter a name, cost, maximum power points to your liking
- drag a power or several powers onto the power field
- choose how you want to activate each power: Melee, Ranged or Thrown (for devices that are weapons activated with Fighting, Shooting or Athletics (Throwing) respectively), Skill (enter the name of a Skill that will be used to activate the device, e.g. Notice for a magical looking glass), or Device Internal (a new skill is created for the user when the item is equipped, with the die assigned as "Activation Roll" as skill level)
- If you chose "Skill" or "Device Internal" enter the appropriate skill name or drag the appropriate activation die onto the space next to "Activation Roll" (or Right Click -> Assign on the space)
- the result should look something like this:

When the item is Equipped (as opposed to just "Carried" or "Not Carried"), the character will gain a new power (named after the arcane device) and skill (if "Device Internal" is set as activation mode). To use the arcane device, you can simply activate the power from your powers tab as you would any other power (If the character using the AD doesn't have an Arcane Background, select an AB at random to see the power list). You can track the devices power points in the Inventory->Arcane Devices Tab.
When the item is Unequipped (or deleted) the Character automatically looses the associated power and skill.

There is also a new Arcane Devices category in the item catalog in the sidepanel.

I hope this helps people with quickly and easily managing their Artificer PCs and enables handing out of magical artifacts as rare quest rewards.
I welcome all feedback (constructive criticism preferred), bug reports and feature requests.

You can also find this extension on the Forge:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/147/view

Best,
Chillhelm

Changelog: v.02 (Released 30.06.20)
- Fixed some strings
- Added more activation options
Changelog: v.03 (Released 02.07.20)
- Removed unnecessary debug output
- added a frame to the current PP tracker in the inventory sheet
- fixed damage dice not showing in the powers tab for AD powers that have a damage expression
Changelog: v.04 (Released 03.07.20)
- fixed a bug related to passing around equipped AD from character to character
- moved more strings to static resources instead of hardcoding (for potential future localisation) and fixed a misssing string
- fixed an error related to powers with no damage expression
- fixed a bug that reset activation type when renaming devices
- powers will now appear as <Powername> [<Devicename>] in the power list
Changelog: v.05 (Released 03.07.20)
- Windows can now be resized
Changelog: v.06 (Released 18.07.20)
- Arcane Devices can now grant multiple powers and subpowers
- when renaming an AD or a power of an AD while it is equipped all names (of skills and granted powers) get updated appropriately
- when the Device Internal activation die is changed while an AD is equipped, the granted skill (and all powers using it) will be updated appropriately
- Fixed a bug where a newly created AD would not associate the correct skill the first time it was equipped
- THIS VERSION BREAKS BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY! Using AD create with v.05 or earlier will not work!
Changelog: v.07 (Released 03.01.21)
- Added a "Create Arcane Device" button to the items list with handpainted, Made in Germany Custom Icon
- improved detection whether a given item is an arcane device (or intended to be one), so that they should now should all show up in the item list
Changelog: v.08 (Released 08.01.21)
- Arcane Devices are now marked as such in the Master Item List
- Arcane Devices are now exportable
Changelog: v.09 (Released 08.01.21)
- It is now again possible to have mundane items!
Changelog: v.10 (Released 04.06.21)
- Updated Ruleset Definitions to include Pathfinder for Savage Worlds (PFSW)
- Fixed a layout bug caused by the CoreRPG extension Player Agency
Changelog: Release 27.12.21
- Fixed some issues with the new ruleset version.
Changelog: Release 07.03.22
- Fixed some more issues with new ruleset versions.
Changelog: Release 22.03.23
- Fixed some more more issues with new ruleset version.

Skellan
June 26th, 2020, 15:11
That looks brilliant. Good job. I will try this out

Cirfain
June 30th, 2020, 12:49
Hello,

First : Thanks for this extension, will be usefull :)

I have noticed some problems :
- Right-click shows "Create Mudane item" instead of "Create Arcane device".

- I cannot assign an activation roll, when I unlock the sheet, no box appears, and nothing drop on it.
What kind of dices ? a die from a skill, or from dice at the bottom of the UI ?
When i Right-click next to words Activation Roll, Clear Dice option appears, but i have no die to clear
I see d4 in Powers list, but no damage (I select Bolt from SW Player Guide)

If I can suggest something :
Learning arcane device manipulation should takes time, why not create a new skill ? It makes sens to me and no need to choose an activation roll :).

I have created a new campagne with SWADE to test it, nothing else.

chillhelm
June 30th, 2020, 13:59
Thank you very much for your feedback. I should get around to fix the bugs you reported and implent your feedback by the weekend.

- Right-click shows "Create Mudane item" instead of "Create Arcane device".

Good catch.

- I cannot assign an activation roll, when I unlock the sheet, no box appears, and nothing drop on it.
What kind of dices ? a die from a skill, or from dice at the bottom of the UI ?

Just from the bottom of the UI should work. When you pick them up a frame should appear where you can drop them.

When i Right-click next to words Activation Roll, Clear Dice option appears, but i have no die to clear

This is where you need to add the dice. I'll add a frame that is always visible to make it more clear. I'll also allow dropping in of skills directly from the character sheet, to make this easier.

I see d4 in Powers list, but no damage (I select Bolt from SW Player Guide)

D4 is the default if you don't assign anything. That it doesn't display damage is strange, I'll have a look into it.

If I can suggest something :
Learning arcane device manipulation should takes time, why not create a new skill ? It makes sens to me and no need to choose an activation roll :).

RAW familiarization with an Arcane Device is not necessary (see Arcane Devices/Activation in SWADE p.154).
I'll try and add a selection box that lets you pick an existing skill instead of creating a new one when you equip the item. This way you can houserule it such that Arcane Devices are activated with a new skill of your choosing.

Cirfain
June 30th, 2020, 16:44
Thanks for your quick answer :)

RAW familiarization with an Arcane Device is not necessary (see Arcane Devices/Activation in SWADE p.154).
I'll try and add a selection box that lets you pick an existing skill instead of creating a new one when you equip the item. This way you can houserule it such that Arcane Devices are activated with a new skill of your choosing.

You're right. SWADE rules are enough, no need for new skill.
I use Shaintar where each style of magic has 2 Edges (1 dedicated Arcane Backround + 1 dedicated Professional Edge) and 1 dedicated skill to be effective. Existing skills should be enough.

Ah, I forgot something : How can I give PP to the device ?
I have only max PP frame not current PP and i didn't see a place for that.

Regards
Thanks

chillhelm
June 30th, 2020, 18:40
In the Arcane Devices inventory tab it lists current PP and you can adjust it by hovering over and typing a number or holding control and rolling the mousewheel.

I figured current PP only are relevant to equipped items. If you move an item from one character to another the current PP will be preserverd.

chillhelm
June 30th, 2020, 22:03
Shameless doubleposting:

I've uploaded a new version. It features all of Cirfain's suggestions, except the ability to drag-and-drop a skill directly from the Character Sheet onto the AD to assign a die.
I've also added an "assign" option to the radial menu on the "Activation Roll".

Cheers,
Wilhelm

Cirfain
July 1st, 2020, 08:11
Hello Wilhelm,

I have tested the new version :
I have the good dice, for each of the option (Ranged, Melee, Throw, Internal or Skill) the radial menu works fine.

- When I choose Internal : Drag and drop doesn't work, whatever the dice I choose. If i choose a dice with radial menu, the drop action will delete the current dice for nothing (d4 appears in powers tab).

- Still no damage, even if i change power to choose bolt again or burst

Typo :
- When i choose a dice from radial menu, in the chat box s'd10 appears when I choose a d10, s'd8 for d8, ...
- Below the device name, the source of the dice appears (device name for Internal, or skill name for other choice) could be great to add the spell name too. When you choose a very weird name (for weird science) , the name could be very different of the effect :)
- When choosing Internal Device for dice, is this possible to mention Internal and not the name 37315

In the Arcane Devices inventory tab it lists current PP and you can adjust it by hovering over and typing a number or holding control and rolling the mousewheel.

I figured current PP only are relevant to equipped items. If you move an item from one character to another the current PP will be preserverd.

Works fine, but not intuitive, if you don't write it, no one can guess it :) Why don't you use the "Shots" frame like ranged weapons with ammo ?

Many Thanks :)

chillhelm
July 2nd, 2020, 14:51
- When I choose Internal : Drag and drop doesn't work, whatever the dice I choose. If i choose a dice with radial menu, the drop action will delete the current dice for nothing (d4 appears in powers tab).

I can't seem to replicate this bug. When I drag a die from the bottom of the window onto the field, it replaces any die that are already there just fine (or places one in if there is none). Can you be more specific as to where you pick the dice up?

- Still no damage, even if i change power to choose bolt again or burst

Fixed.

Typo :
- When i choose a dice from radial menu, in the chat box s'd10 appears when I choose a d10, s'd8 for d8, ...

Oops. Some debug output made it into the release version. Fixed.

- Below the device name, the source of the dice appears (device name for Internal, or skill name for other choice) could be great to add the spell name too. When you choose a very weird name (for weird science) , the name could be very different of the effect :)
- When choosing Internal Device for dice, is this possible to mention Internal and not the name 37315

I'm kind of limited in influencing how the Power from the AD is represented in the power list. I'm worried that if I mess around with the display of the power list, I might end up creating incompatibilities with future versions of the SW ruleset. I'll look into this more and see what I can do.

Why don't you use the "Shots" frame like ranged weapons with ammo ?

Good idea! Done.

Thank you for your patience and testing!

Cirfain
July 2nd, 2020, 17:11
Hi,

All features work well :)

Except drag and drop :
Here is a video (5 sec) to see the drag and drop.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsX2QPADtWrKg849yCmTyM8rdHqMjg?e=YGhBfO/Fantasy Grounds 2020-07-02 18-00-01_Trim.mp4

It's not a blocking point for me, radial works good.

But I have the same problem with parcel, and only one person has it too.
May be there is something else.

Many thanks for your work.

GaryMon
July 3rd, 2020, 03:22
I love this extension, but I must be doing something wrong. If I edit the device and increase the PP, it doesn't change the equipped PP. I have removed the item from inventory, added it back and still has the old PP listed.
I can remove the device entirely, and recreate it and it will show the correct PP. If that is how it is supposed to be, my apologies for the report.

It is a great extension.
Oh, just an FYI, in the screen shot, the banner title is not showing up on the Arcane Device page.

chillhelm
July 3rd, 2020, 09:16
I love this extension, but I must be doing something wrong. If I edit the device and increase the PP, it doesn't change the equipped PP. I have removed the item from inventory, added it back and still has the old PP listed.
I can remove the device entirely, and recreate it and it will show the correct PP. If that is how it is supposed to be, my apologies for the report.

Not necessarily something you did wrong, but I think what've got here is a quirk of FG. When you give a PC an item from the Item list, the character actually gets an independent copy of that item. Meaning any changes you make to the item on the item list, will not affect the item in the inventory of any characters. You can try this out by creating an editable copy of a built in item (e.g. the axe) and giving that to a charakter. When you open the weapon info from the item list now, you can change it and the changes won't be reflected in the characters inventory. I think the same is happening here.
Long story short: Once you've put an item into a characters inventory you need to click the red-square-linky-thingy in the inventory to edit it further. When you do that the max PP should update correctly.

Oh, just an FYI, in the screen shot, the banner title is not showing up on the Arcane Device page.

Good catch. I'll push a new version later today that fixes that.

chillhelm
July 18th, 2020, 17:18
I've uploaded a new version that allows ADs to use multiple powers.
I consider this extension feature complete now and will restrict myself to bugfixes and potential feature requests only for the future.

Best,
Chillhelm

PS: The new version breaks backwards compatibility, so you will have to recreate your Arcane Devices if you decide to switch to the new version.

Mike Serfass
January 2nd, 2021, 07:37
Thank you for this extension! I use it in my games.

How do I add new arcane devices to the item list? I'm able to add them to character inventory, but cannot add them to the items list. I have a windows entitled "Arcane Devices", which is empty, but I have no right click option to create arcane device like I have on the character sheet. When I'm adding new items to the game, I click the edit list button, I have the normal 3 buttons to add weapons, armor, and items, but no button to add AD.

I'm using FGU 4.0.6, and SWADE 5.2.10.

I'll provide whatever additional info you need, including screenshots.

Thanks!

chillhelm
January 2nd, 2021, 12:28
Thank you for this extension! I use it in my games.
I'm glad you're enjoying it!

How do I add new arcane devices to the item list? I'm able to add them to character inventory, but cannot add them to the items list. I have a windows entitled "Arcane Devices", which is empty, but I have no right click option to create arcane device like I have on the character sheet. When I'm adding new items to the game, I click the edit list button, I have the normal 3 buttons to add weapons, armor, and items, but no button to add AD.

I'm using FGU 4.0.6, and SWADE 5.2.10.

Well, that's weird. But you are right, I can't create Arcane Devices in the list anymore either (neither in FGC or in FGU) but the old devices that I created are still there (and can be copied to make new ones, too). Maybe they changed something on the back end. I'll have to look into it. Good catch!
As a work around, you could create a new character, give him all the Arcane Devices you want to create and pass them from his inventory to the player characters. This seems to still work without issue.

Mike Serfass
January 3rd, 2021, 01:52
I create the item directly on the character that has it, and that works just fine. So I'm good for game. Thanks for the workaround. That will hold us users over.

I blame goblins. It's totally not me breaking your extensions.

Thanks!

chillhelm
January 3rd, 2021, 15:03
I create the item directly on the character that has it, and that works just fine. So I'm good for game. Thanks for the workaround. That will hold us users over.

I blame goblins. It's totally not me breaking your extensions.

Thanks!

I've uploaded a new version that features a little green button next to the "Add Weapon", "Add Armor" etc. buttons. It creates a new AD that will show up in the item list as intended.

And don't blame goblins! I'm glad that finally someone (that isn't me) is using my extensions and finds bugs in them!

Mike Serfass
January 4th, 2021, 16:43
I've uploaded a new version that features a little green button next to the "Add Weapon", "Add Armor" etc. buttons. It creates a new AD that will show up in the item list as intended.

And don't blame goblins! I'm glad that finally someone (that isn't me) is using my extensions and finds bugs in them!

Thanks! It's working well. No bugs, and I'm happily adding setting-specific arcane devices.

I have one request, however.

In the main item list, arcane devices are listed as Item. Is it possible to change that to Device, or Arcane, or AD? Something to distinguish it from regular items?

Thanks again for this extension. I'm currently using it in my fantasy game, but it will get used in my upcoming sci-fi game as well for cyberware devices.

Mike Serfass
January 6th, 2021, 22:35
Hi again! It's your favorite QA user.

I don't know if this is a bug or something that must be coded to work.

I added a few arcane devices, then created a module. It checked Items in the export list. The module included all the other custom items I created, but did not include the arcane devices.

I tried dragging them manually to the export list. While weapons, armor, etc dragged happily, the AD items wouldn't go. It seems like they're not recognized. Custom effects do the same thing, so it's probably something in the code rudely ignoring dragged items.

Not a huge deal. I can add the items directly to the played game rather than the game I use to create my setting module.

This could be a case of goblins. They like stealing stuff.

Thanks!

chillhelm
January 8th, 2021, 16:02
Your wish is my command!

Just uploaded a new version that lists Arcane Devices as such in the Item list and makes them exportable in modules. Enjoy!

Mike Serfass
January 8th, 2021, 18:58
Thank you!

Except now, when I add a new item (not an AD), it turns the item into an AD. When you click the green plus, the dialog is the item dialog. You can fill it out as usual, but when you close it, it turns into an AD. (It indicates AD on the items list. So that works.) When you open it, it's the AD dialog.

It's like having a magical factory that enchants everything. The players will be happy about that.

I can copy an existing item and it stays an item. This bug doesn't affect weapons or armor. Adding a new AD works fine too. Only normal items are affected. Existing items are not transformed.

My wife got me a coffee mug that says:
99 little bugs in the code
99 little bugs
take one down
patch it around
128 little bugs in the code

chillhelm
January 8th, 2021, 20:42
That was not a bug, but a feature, to trick my users into actually making magic devices of course!

It's fixed now. Set your Goblins to finding the next 128 bugs!

Mike Serfass
January 10th, 2021, 16:15
That was not a bug, but a feature, to trick my users into actually making magic devices of course!

It's fixed now. Set your Goblins to finding the next 128 bugs!

That was a clever trick. I give you a benny for that.

The goblins found a bug. I managed to get it from them before they ate it.

The export works (thank you!), but it's exporting with the wrong node name.

The exported client.xml has the items under the <mundaneitems> node. The items show up in the target campaign, but are listed under normal items, so don't display all the AD stuff.
The node should be <arcanedevices>. When I change the node name, the devices show up just fine in the game with the exported module.

Everything else is working well!

chillhelm
January 15th, 2021, 12:58
I can't seem to reproduce this problem. I can export the items fine and reimport them as well.

Could be an issue with ADs created in an older version maybe?

Can you send me the module and the campaign that you exported it from?

Mike Serfass
January 16th, 2021, 05:59
chillhelm, I sent a message with the files. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

tavishill
January 22nd, 2021, 19:30
Is there any way to add other effects to Arcane Devices - like, say [>Focus +1] to build an item with both 'bonuses' and powers in the same place? I know I could make two items one an Arcane Device and one a Sword, or Cloak, or whatever and have them be the 'same thing' setting the weight of one of them to 0, but it would be cool if it could be just 'one thing'.

Heck, if it could have edges dragged into it as well, and them be active when it's equipped that would be totally epic.

But I have NO idea about coding and stuff so don't know just how tricky that would be.

Mike Serfass
January 22nd, 2021, 23:37
You can add effects to the notes tab. I usually put those at the end, after any flavor text and power or edge links.

tavishill
January 24th, 2021, 17:19
You can add effects to the notes tab. I usually put those at the end, after any flavor text and power or edge links.

Ah cool - I hadn't realised they would have an effect effect, if that makes sense. That's much awesomeness.

Jiminimonka
May 30th, 2021, 12:08
How do you get Activation Roll "populated"?

Mike Serfass
May 30th, 2021, 19:12
Strange. Normally there's a default d4 there from the start. It's showing up for me whether I add it to the items list or character inventory. I tried the same theme you're using and it appears.
Does it appear if you drag and drop a power into the Power section?
Maybe it's invisible, like the power button used to be when adding a new power to the character sheet.
Did you tell chillhelm he's pretty? That might make it work.

chillhelm
June 1st, 2021, 16:38
Thank you, Mike! I am pretty and it should be recognized more. Unfortunately, this probably doesn't help Jiminimonka...
Mike is right though, there should be a default D4 displayed right there, which you can then change by right clicking on it and then going Assign->D[Whatever].
What version of FG are you running, classic or unity?
Are you running any themes that might interfere with the display?

chillhelm
June 1st, 2021, 17:07
Thank you, Mike! I am pretty and it should be recognized more. Unfortunately, this probably doesn't help Jiminimonka...
Mike is right though, there should be a default D4 displayed right there, which you can then change by right clicking on it and then going Assign->D[Whatever].

Edit: Ooops double post.

Jiminimonka
June 2nd, 2021, 20:09

Edit: Ooops double post.

Im using Unity, latest version (on 4.1.3 as of today)
Made a new arcane device, it equips fine - adds the device to powers when equipped etc., just the Activation Roll remains blank. Probably its another extension. I will turn them all off and check one by one and report back.
Lankhmar Setting btw.

Jiminimonka
June 2nd, 2021, 20:39
OK - its the Roll Statistics extension - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27206-SW-Roll-Statistics-extension - turn that off an the die shows up as expected.

Doswelk
June 3rd, 2021, 08:13
Request:

Can you add <ruleset>PFSW</ruleset> to the code please, that way it will work with Savage Pathfinder :)

That way I do not need to remember to add it after I download a new version.

Jiminimonka
June 3rd, 2021, 08:50
Request:

Can you add <ruleset>PFSW</ruleset> to the code please, that way it will work with Savage Pathfinder :)

That way I do not need to remember to add it after I download a new version.

PFSW? Sounds like Pathfinder for Savage Worlds.... what's the code for just SWADE?

Jiminimonka
June 3rd, 2021, 08:55
PFSW? Sounds like Pathfinder for Savage Worlds.... what's the code for just SWADE?

I see from Mike Serfass Post in the Community Extension post.

chillhelm
June 3rd, 2021, 09:59
@Doswelk, I will put it in the next release (same for Fast Tests and Mass Battles).
@Jiminimonka, I will try to find the interaction between Roll Statistics and this one. I suspect the problem is on the Roll Statistics end of things, because I'm using a standard interface component for that die field and Roll Statistics probably manipulates it somehow (for a good reason, namely to gather the actual roll results). Nonetheless I will check things from my side and see if I can produce a workaround from my end. Also I think Doswelk's comment was directed at me, since he is creating the Savage Pathfinder ruleset currently, which I don't think is published yet.

chillhelm
June 3rd, 2021, 13:34
@Jiminimonka, I can't seem to reproduce this problem, even with Roll Statistics and Arcane Devices enabled. For reference, I'm using the most up to date version of Roll Statistics (v.08) and Arcane Devices (v.09). Can you maybe send me a campaing file where this issue occurs?

Jiminimonka
June 3rd, 2021, 19:15
@Jiminimonka, I can't seem to reproduce this problem, even with Roll Statistics and Arcane Devices enabled. For reference, I'm using the most up to date version of Roll Statistics (v.08) and Arcane Devices (v.09). Can you maybe send me a campaing file where this issue occurs?

I sent you a DM with a link to the zipped up campaign.

Mike Serfass
June 3rd, 2021, 23:13

That was my guess for PFSW

SWADE is SWADE, and SavageWorlds is the latest version of savage worlds, whatever that may be. It was SWD (deluxe) until SWADE hit, and there was a post saying that SavageWorlds would now point to SWADE rather than SWD. Now in my extension.xml (for next release) I have

<ruleset>
<name>SavageWorlds</name>
<minrelease>5.0</minrelease>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>SWADE</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>PFSW</name>
</ruleset>
<ruleset>
<name>SWD</name>
</ruleset>

I don't know the minrelease of the other rulesets. I'll try to find that if it matters for my extensions.

Doswelk
June 4th, 2021, 07:37
@Doswelk, I will put it in the next release (same for Fast Tests and Mass Battles).
@Jiminimonka, I will try to find the interaction between Roll Statistics and this one. I suspect the problem is on the Roll Statistics end of things, because I'm using a standard interface component for that die field and Roll Statistics probably manipulates it somehow (for a good reason, namely to gather the actual roll results). Nonetheless I will check things from my side and see if I can produce a workaround from my end. Also I think Doswelk's comment was directed at me, since he is creating the Savage Pathfinder ruleset currently, which I don't think is published yet.
Thank you

chillhelm
June 4th, 2021, 11:47
Doswelk, the new version has the new ruleset definitions.

I've also tracked down (and fixed) Jiminimonkas Bug. It was caused by another extension overriding the CoreRPG label_column template, which caused the die field (which was anchored to the label) to be pushed out of the window to the right..

Jiminimonka
June 4th, 2021, 11:49
Doswelk, the new version has the new ruleset definitions.

I've also tracked down (and fixed) Jiminimonkas Bug. It was caused by another extension overriding the CoreRPG label_column template, which caused the die field (which was anchored to the label) to be pushed out of the window to the right..

So efficient and pretty too!

chillhelm
July 29th, 2021, 17:27
This extension can now be found on the Forge:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/147/view

Mike Serfass
July 29th, 2021, 23:11
@chillhelm: The ruleset abbreviation for Pathfinder for Savage Worlds is SWPF.
Better change that before Doswelk sees it. :p

chillhelm
September 12th, 2021, 11:25
I've uploaded a new build with the new ruleset definitions. Can somebody who owns Pathfinder confirm that it works now? (Either in the top post or on the Forge)

chillhelm
December 27th, 2021, 15:23
New version is out (on the forge and in the first post). Just fixes some display issues with the new ruleset version of CoreRPG & Savage Worlds.

Mike Serfass
December 28th, 2021, 02:42
Thanks! It looks like you had a busy week.

Reg
January 21st, 2022, 13:27
I'm a new GM to SWADE, I'm looking for a way to keep track of power points for a player with Weird Science as their AB

This looks like it could do the trick?

Unless anybody can tell me what I've missed and why it would NOT be appropriate?

Is there a better way perhaps?

Mike Serfass
January 22nd, 2022, 02:36
This extension will do it. It's one of the reasons I use it.

And good luck with being a GM! There aren't enough GMs, and they're appreciated.

Reg
January 23rd, 2022, 02:34
Thanks for the encouragement.

Myself and my group are having fun with this system.... Its keeping me on my toes as GM, that's for sure!

Lots of me thinking "'there's no way that they'll pull this off...." and an exploding wild die makes for all sorts of shenanigans!

So, back to the point - I've created a test case and just wanted to confirm:-
1.) Drag and dropping the "weird Science skill is NOT implemented - we select a die that matches and then as the character progress adjust it manually. Is this correct?

2.) The arithmetic on power points allocated, power points used and power points recharged are all manual processes, is this correct?

Mike Serfass
January 24th, 2022, 00:11
One of the things I like about Savage Worlds is how it keeps me on my toes. So many unexpected events and outcomes! And no matter what happens, you can roll with it and make it a good story.

Arcane items don't have arcane skills in the same way as characters. The arcane skill ("activation") is based on what type of item it is. It follows the weird science rules in the core rule book, if that helps.

For example, your weird scientist makes a freeze ray gun (bolt power) and gives it to a party member. Being a gun means the character uses Shooting rather than the creator's arcane skill. On the item you create, select Ranged for Activation. Don't bother setting the activation roll because it will use the character's Shooting skill die.

The artificer makes a goo bomb (entangle power) that a character throws. The Activation would be Thrown. Again, don't bother setting the activation roll. When it's equipped, it will use the character's Athletics, as per the rules.

If the caster creates a force field belt (protection), then you want to set the activation die to the creator's weird science die, and you want to set the activation to Device Internal. Then it will use the set die and not the equipping character's skills.

The Skill option of Activation lets you type in whatever Skill you want it linked to on the quipping character. For those odd cases where it uses some other Skill.

The advantage to setting the activation die separate from the creator's is that you can apply Limitations. For example, the artificer wants to cut the power point cost of creating an item, so sets the activation die to d8, even though his arcane skill die is d10. Or, he's forced to create a freeze ray for an enemy, so he sets the activation to a d4. The enemy will be very surprised later, in the midst of combat...

Power points are a manual process everywhere. It gets very tricky to calculate power point costs with so many modifiers, limitations, etc that come from various settings, circumstances, hindrances, edges... And you can apply modifiers to arcane devices, so it's just as difficult to calculate that programmatically. Ikael would have that in place already if it weren't so tricky.

I hope that helps.

wframe
March 6th, 2022, 21:28
This doesn't seem to be working for me at all. I created an Arcane device on a character, set everything per the instructions, then dragged it to another character and equipped it. No powers show up. I added an Arcane Background and still nothing. I created an Arcane Device in the "items" directory and dragged that to the same character with an arcane background and equipped it and nothing.

Am I missing something? The instructions make it sound so easy, but I just can't get it to work for me.

chillhelm
March 7th, 2022, 10:03
You are right, wframe. Some update in the inventory management system borked this extension (specifically a change to how equipping items is handled).
It's fixed now. New (working) version is in the top post and will roll out through the Forge as soon as the changes are approved.

Thanks for your report.

wframe
March 7th, 2022, 12:46
You are right, wframe. Some update in the inventory management system borked this extension (specifically a change to how equipping items is handled).
It's fixed now. New (working) version is in the top post and will roll out through the Forge as soon as the changes are approved.

Thanks for your report.

What a relief. Thanks. It was the first time I tried to use it and I thought I was crazy (or inept).

Shoras
April 19th, 2022, 15:00
This extension doesn't work yet.
When equip an arcane device, the power doesn't appear in the power tab

chillhelm
April 19th, 2022, 16:51
Shoras, have you updated?

I just tried it again (created a new character, new arcane device, put a power on it and equipped it). Worked fine for me.

If it still doesn't work after an update, can you give me more details (ruleset, version, FGUnity or Classic)? Ideally even a campaign file where it doesn't work.

Shoras
April 19th, 2022, 20:00
Yes I've updated.
I use FGUnity with SWADE ruleset

Beerbelly
August 9th, 2022, 00:22
Great add on. I'm loving it. It seems to be working, but whenever I'm using it to create, update, change, etc. I'm getting this error:

Not a biggie, but if it's happening to me, it's probably happening to others.

Redemption77
August 9th, 2022, 14:51
It is in fact happening to me as well Beerbelly. If I or a player attempts to use the arcane devices tab errors pop up for every input into the tab that's made

Jiminimonka
February 25th, 2023, 10:40
Hi Chillhelm - with the latest patch I am getting this error when creating Arcane Devices.

EDIT: I think its not on creation it's when the Arcane Device window opens that the bug appears.

chillhelm
March 22nd, 2023, 00:07
The error has been fixed.

Let me know if anything else pops up. I hope I'll get around to fixing it quicker.

macDsinfo
March 24th, 2023, 14:41
thank you

Mike Serfass
March 25th, 2023, 00:21
Thank you chillhelm!

CassMerry
March 28th, 2023, 06:30
Getting a couple odd errors, tried running just this extension and nothig else and it's still happeneing. Looks great, and it worked when I rand a big extension list but I'm not sure what caused it to spontaiously work.

First, the activation roll. It seems to be appearing as an apply effect button instead of a dice roll.

Second, whenever I add a second power to a device it throws the following error.
[3/28/2023 6:49:19 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "ArcaneDevices:..vices/scripts/ad_powers.lua"]:25: attempt to call field 'sortCompareEntriesWithSubentries' (a nil value)

No idea if these things are connected but I hope that helps a bit, looks really cool!

Jiminimonka
March 28th, 2023, 07:12
Getting a couple odd errors, tried running just this extension and nothig else and it's still happeneing. Looks great, and it worked when I rand a big extension list but I'm not sure what caused it to spontaiously work.

First, the activation roll. It seems to be appearing as an apply effect button instead of a dice roll.

Second, whenever I add a second power to a device it throws the following error.
[3/28/2023 6:49:19 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "ArcaneDevices:..vices/scripts/ad_powers.lua"]:25: attempt to call field 'sortCompareEntriesWithSubentries' (a nil value)

No idea if these things are connected but I hope that helps a bit, looks really cool!

This is going to be part of the default system sòon,. Then you won't need the extension.

In general, you should not edit a post when an error appears to go away, because someone else searching the forum migjt be looking for a similar problem and the pre-edited one may help them.

Happy gaming!

CassMerry
March 28th, 2023, 20:42
Ah, thanks! so just disable it and wait for it to be added to the main ruleset then? regarding the edit, the original edit was because I thought I had just not seen it and I edited it to add that note for anyone look, then it turned out that wasn;t the issue so I edited ti again to unedit the original edit and add the new info :)

Jiminimonka
March 28th, 2023, 20:51
Ah, thanks! so just disable it and wait for it to be added to the main ruleset then? regarding the edit, the original edit was because I thought I had just not seen it and I edited it to add that note for anyone look, then it turned out that wasn;t the issue so I edited ti again to unedit the original edit and add the new info :)

Cool beans, feel free to ignore my advice on forums posts ;) :)

Savage Worlds 5.6.0 will have Arcane Devices added as default, it will be in Test build soon (Ikael just posted about it on the FG Discord Server).