PDA

View Full Version : chat window truncation of dice display.

bratch9
June 25th, 2020, 21:34
Depending on the width of the chat window the dice display can get truncated.
Also the actual text length wrap point is also wrong depending on with. ( But this could be it considering a [...] as one word not 100% sure. )

-pete

Moderator: Moved to Unity forum

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2020, 01:48
I haven't seen this before. Can you recreate this issue? Can you give me the steps to recreate?

Thanks,
JPG

bratch9
June 26th, 2020, 11:09
these are from the updated version still showing the issue...

i just created a new campaign, a character with a name, did not set race/class/background or any stats. Drag on a weapon, in this case a warhammer and just roll the damage dice..

if you unlock the chat window and move the right size about, depending on size you will get a proper looking dice line, a part cut dice section or no dice section... ( See the size attachment )

Also if you use the full window resize on the bottom right, and squish up the main window you can 'push' other windows about when you make it smaller and they start to break up and you can make larger as in bad-resize.jpg. When you go a 'move' the character window it will go back to been drawn properly.

( To me it looks like the scissor rectangle is been miss calculated, which might be a unity issue etc.. )

-pete

bratch9
June 26th, 2020, 12:21
i had a quick look in renderdoc, and its not a scissor issue.. it looks like the geometry of the button is getting sliced..

( I would have attached the render doc, but its 50mb and >15mb when compressed and the uploader will not let me attach it, even in split zip 6mb chunks... )

-pete

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2020, 10:07
What UI scale are you running at?

Thanks,
JPG

bratch9
June 27th, 2020, 11:51
i normally run at 150 but its the same if you set it to 100%, it was one of the first things i changed to see if it was connected... Unless its also scaled up by my windows dpi, as I use a 5k monitor i have windows at 200% desktop scale.

from how it interacts, it look like the ui system uses a clipping area in software while it builds up the sprites for the ui. This seems to remain static when you make the window larger causing the dice render in the chat windows to be considered outside the clip area the further you enlarge the window.

so to me it seems like the change in size of the chat windows is not updating the clip area in use.

( Ive done the update this morning, and its still doing the same render issue, seem like just a 5e/core update for the characterwizard release.. )

-pete

bratch9
June 27th, 2020, 12:14
some extra info...

if you roll a dice, then make the chat window wider you can get to the 'cut off dice'... but as soon as you type in the chat window it 'recovers', and from that point on the width cut off is larger...

if you make with window even wider, you get back to 'cut off dice', and again any extra text in the chat restores the clip to that new size... making it work all the way from small up to that new wider width..

basically you can 'edge' out the width clip area..

it does not recover if you enlarge the window vertically or scroll it, the dice is still clipped... until you add to the text.. ( Which i guess it re-lays out the cached draw calls for the text.. )

Also you can just use the '/roll 1d6' command to make a dice show in the chat and cause this issue.

Moon Wizard
June 30th, 2020, 03:06
Can you walk me through exact steps from launching a campaign, so I can see if I can reproduce here using your exact steps? (Step 1, Step 2, ...)
I've tried to recreate here, but haven't been able to so far.

Thanks,
JPG

bratch9
June 30th, 2020, 09:39
ok, I've also enabled the [DEV] track to see if its fixed in that... which it does not seem to be..

1. start fgu. (1.jpg)
2. create new campaign, dice, lan. (2.jpg) { Removed IP info for security !! }
3. untick 'show on load' (3.jpg)
4. close 'campaign setup' with 'x' (4.jpg)
5. see basic new campaign.. (5.jpg)
6. use the 'unlock' to allow chat window resize. (6.jpg)
7. roll a dice in the chat window. (7.jpg)
8. see dice result is drawn correct. (8.jpg)
9. resize chat window using right hand edge only, right click and drag to right, see issue with dice (9.jpg)
10. type text in chat window,see now dice is drawn correctly. (10.jgp)
11. resize chat window again using just right hand edge, see dice is clipped... (11.jpg)
12. add some more text, dice is drawn correct, then resize chat window with 'ctrl' and mouse drag, increase width/height.. see clipped dice (12.jgp)

ive included a zip of these images and the 'dice' campaign.

hope this helps,
-pete

Moon Wizard
July 2nd, 2020, 23:15
Thank you very much; I was able to recreate following your detailed steps and pictures.

Regards,
JPG