PDA

View Full Version : negative damage can heal target (5E)

sstarsslayer
June 25th, 2020, 08:04
This is on 5E, FGU, no extensions.

Using a 1 dmg attack with -2 or more modifiers causes the target to gain health.

When I drag a "d0" into the dicebox of the attack damage configuration, it changes behavior and correctly does 0 dmg.

Unarmed strikes do 1 dmg and there seems to be no d1 so d0+1 is the only way I see to do it.
No dice +1 should not be allowed to heal.

Zacchaeus
June 25th, 2020, 09:31
A negative 'damage' will in fact heal a target.

Unarmed strike is actually 1 + STR modifier.

sstarsslayer
June 25th, 2020, 17:14
A negative 'damage' will in fact heal a target.

Unarmed strike is actually 1 + STR modifier.

Yes, it's set to the default "base" in the first screenshot but that's strength which is what is making it go negative. If that were correct behavior then it would not refuse to go below 0 and say "minimum damage" in the last screenshot.

Zacchaeus
June 25th, 2020, 17:48
Ok, I see what you mean. Yes. You should add in a d0 if you have a character whose strength is 4 points less than the minimum and they try to use an unarmed strike which won't ever do any damage. I don't think it will properly deal the damage (or at least won't correctly add it up) if there''s no dice roll.

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2020, 18:34
It's related to the ability to be able to quickly reverse damage by dragging and dropping the damage roll again from the chat box while holding the Control key (i.e. inverting the result to negative). It's a corner case I'm not quite sure I'll be able to fix without breaking that ability.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
June 25th, 2020, 19:52
I can't see why anyone would want to use an attack action that causes no damage. So why create one? Seems like a pretty unusual edge case to try and worry about if FG can handle it.

mozmonar
June 26th, 2020, 05:32
I can't see why anyone would want to use an attack action that causes no damage. So why create one? Seems like a pretty unusual edge case to try and worry about if FG can handle it.

So you can be the guy that "lays on hands" by beating the **** out people?

sstarsslayer
June 26th, 2020, 06:18
It's related to the ability to be able to quickly reverse damage by dragging and dropping the damage roll again from the chat box while holding the Control key (i.e. inverting the result to negative). It's a corner case I'm not quite sure I'll be able to fix without breaking that ability.

Regards,
JPG

Actually, the ctrl-drag thing doesn't work for me in FGU. I've been meaning to report that too but wanted to search if it was already a thing and try it on FGC to see if it matched the documentation. If I ctrl-drag a damage roll onto a character in the combat tracker, it just damages them again. It does not reverse dmg. I guess that's a bug too.

Well, I'm not too worried about it but it happened organically and I felt the duty to report the bug my game ran into. The players had been disarmed and so even the low STR PCs were resorting to fists. The unarmed attack was built before the PC acquired a lingering injury sprained elbow with -2 dmg effect and also everyone thought the minimum dmg would be 1 because we are used to older editions. When the player started healing their opponents, that's when we looked it up and realized 5E is minimum 0 dmg and I discovered the workaround was to add a d0 after some experimenting. Also, for coding the fix, one could simply default a d0 in that dmg configuration window but I'm OK with dismissing it as a silly concern instead.

sstarsslayer
June 27th, 2020, 04:23
Actually, the ctrl-drag thing doesn't work for me in FGU.

I've now tested ctrl-drag in FGC & FGU (with windows and Mac). It works for me in FGC but does not FGU. (5E, no extensions, etc.) It reapplies the damage without reversing it.
The control key does change the hotbar on the bottom and changes the chat mode to Story, so I know it sees the key.

Zacchaeus
June 27th, 2020, 09:32
I've now tested ctrl-drag in FGC & FGU (with windows and Mac). It works for me in FGC but does not FGU. (5E, no extensions, etc.) It reapplies the damage without reversing it.
The control key does change the hotbar on the bottom and changes the chat mode to Story, so I know it sees the key.

I oincur, just tested and dragging damage from chat with the CTRL key doesn't work as expected. I've started a new thread reporting it.