PDA

View Full Version : rulesets

greowhiste
April 23rd, 2007, 16:16
I may be asking a stupid question. I can't seem to find out how to pull in the rules for d20. I can load a campaign, good, but the modules for the d20 classes/races/monsters etc. ... how do I have those available exactly in FGII?

richvalle
April 23rd, 2007, 16:20
I think you load them up as modules now. Its a bit weird to get used to that module interface but if you mess with it a while you might be able to figure it out.

rv

greowhiste
April 23rd, 2007, 16:26
Ah, there is a little book in the corner, i did not see this. i suppose when you "open" the book it is then available to you in the Library section. From there you have all the rules.

Thanks for your response, i knew i was being stupid

Doswelk
April 23rd, 2007, 16:29
I can see that the D20 rulesets are now modules, but even after playing around with the Beta I had no joy with ruleset creation.

I want to update My D20 Modern ruleset and I cannot work out how to begin this time!

Bakshara
April 23rd, 2007, 17:22
I have not gotten FG2 yet, but am beginning to hear frustrations from others.

I have heard that custom rulesets used in FG1.5 will not work in FG2. Is this true?

If it is true:
Why?
Is the a conversion/migration tool or process?
I would really hate to have spent all this time creating another ruleset and the have to scrap it and start all over.

joshuha
April 23rd, 2007, 17:31
I have not gotten FG2 yet, but am beginning to hear frustrations from others.

I have heard that custom rulesets used in FG1.5 will not work in FG2. Is this true?

If it is true:
Why?
Is the a conversion/migration tool or process?
I would really hate to have spent all this time creating another ruleset and the have to scrap it and start all over.

Well 1.05 can run alongside 2.0 so you don't have to upgrade quite yet. It was mentioned in the 2.0 thread that a conversion may eventually be released but because rulesets can be so customized in different ways even in 1.05 this is a very difficult thing to code for.

Having said that, the way the tag structure in 2.0 is setup it really is a superior way of organizing things and with the LUA scripting a lot of the "hacks" that had to be done with 1.05 (like multiple hidden fields for calculations) is really easy with LUA.

Dachannien
April 23rd, 2007, 19:55
with the LUA scripting a lot of the "hacks" that had to be done with 1.05 (like multiple hidden fields for calculations) is really easy with LUA.

Yeah, I had to clean my own brains off my monitor several times when I was working on a custom ruleset for 1.05 for this very reason. ;)

Bakshara
April 24th, 2007, 16:25
Well 1.05 can run alongside 2.0 so you don't have to upgrade quite yet. It was mentioned in the 2.0 thread that a conversion may eventually be released but because rulesets can be so customized in different ways even in 1.05 this is a very difficult thing to code for.

Having said that, the way the tag structure in 2.0 is setup it really is a superior way of organizing things and with the LUA scripting a lot of the "hacks" that had to be done with 1.05 (like multiple hidden fields for calculations) is really easy with LUA.

Do you know how much is different? Like all the xml tags that were the basics in 1.5, will they carry through? For example: Here ia a list of the tags I used:

<icon name="button_openwindow" file="data/icons/button_openwindow.png" />
<tokenroot source="data\tokens" />
<numbercontrol name="gearamount1">
</numbercontrol>
<stringcontrol name="gearitem1">
</stringcontrol>
<source name="dexterity" op="+" valuemap="1:-6,2:-4,3:-3,4:-2,5:-1,6:+0,7:+0,8:+0,9:+0,10:+0,11:+0,12:+0,13:+0,14:+ 0,15:+0,16:+1,17:+2,18:+2,19:+3,20:+3,21:+4,22:+4, 23:+4,24:+5,25:+5" />
<bounds rect="159,7,41,22" />
<nodrag />
<nodrop />
<noreset />
<limits minimum="1" maximum="25" />
<tabtarget next="exceptionalstrength" prev="playername" />
<displaysign />
<description text="Reaction Adjustment" />
<value type="modifier" />
<value type="readonly" />
<windowclass name="charsheet_main">
<frame name="charsheet_main" />
<datasource name="charsheet" />
<defaultsize width="550" height="685" />
<sheetdata>
<multistate name="race">
<state value="0" icon="SelectRace" />
<state value="1" icon="Dwarf" />
<state value="2" icon="Elf" />
<framedef name="chatbox">
<bitmap file="data\frames\chatbox.png" />
<topleft rect="0,0,12,12" />

Will they still work? Can I do a find/replace for those that changed?

I did have to do a lot of hidden values to make some calculations work. It sounds like those will be simplified or shortened. Like to square a number, it could not reference the same source twice in the same value. So I would create a hidden and then add the hidden and multiply the original.

Thanks for explaining.

Bakshara
April 30th, 2007, 16:02
In addition to my previous question; If one of my players updates to FG2 and connects to the game I'm hosting, with my custom ruleset, will he be able to join? Will it work? Will he be able to access his character?

Ram Tyr
April 30th, 2007, 16:57
In addition to my previous question; If one of my players updates to FG2 and connects to the game I'm hosting, with my custom ruleset, will he be able to join? Will it work? Will he be able to access his character?
FGII installs in parallel to the original FG.
Announcement for FGII (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5901)

Someone that has both FG and FGII must be told which to use for your campaign.

Later.

Bakshara
May 7th, 2007, 17:02
Thanks for the heads up on that. I will let the whole group know.

I still would like to know how much of the old XML carries through. See my previous question where I list all that I used.

Knowing this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Irian
May 7th, 2007, 17:09
Have a look at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdocbeta/databasenode.xcp - many XML elements are described there.