PDA

View Full Version : Players not seeing map.

kevininrussia
June 23rd, 2020, 19:40
Abount half the time when I share a map with my players some see what they call the Star Trek Holodeck. In this instance the map is a .jpg and 1MB is size.

Here is what the DM (Server) sees:

https://i.imgur.com/nypeH31.png

and here is what the player sees.

https://i.imgur.com/wZN2yB6.png

We cant find a way to refresh the image to show it. Only solution we have found is to exit FGU then relaunch it.

Is there a way to get the image to show on the players side with out exiting FGU?

Moving the token around the holodeck we noticed a big "?" so maybe the image was not shared correctly to the client?

https://i.imgur.com/yvyNH1T.png

Un-sharing and re-sharing the map does not help. Removing the token and re-adding the token to the map does not help. Its as if the client side thinks it has the map image but doesn't.

Something similar happened to tokens. Last game a few players saw black square with "?" instead of the token graphic

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2020, 21:39
I'm not sure why that is happening at this point; so I'll throw out some questions and thoughts.

Some questions:
* Is this a DLC module map, or a custom map you added?
* If DLC, which module and map?
* If custom, what folder is the map in? (<FGU data folder>/images/ OR <FGU data folder>/campaign/<Campaign Name>/images/)
* Can other players see the map, or is the map missing for all players?

In order to reduce overhead and deal with problematic situations with infinite requests, a graphic is currently only requested once per session. The only way to reset is to restart FGU. You can also delete the cache folder to remove any cached files to force a re-download.

It sounds like the graphics acquisition is failing somewhere; but it's not a general issue or it would be more prevalent with users. It could be a data corruption issue or data interception issue. Could something be intercepting or rewriting network traffic on the GM network?

Do you have access to the player machine where this happened? (i.e. would the player be willing to look at something?) Basically, I want to look in the <FGUDataFolder>/cache/<CampaignName>/campaign.dat file. They would need to rename the file to .zip; open the file up; and let me know how big the version of the image they have is on their machine.

Alternately, if it happens fairly regularly, perhaps we can set up a session where I can try to recreate by connecting to your server, and running through downloading stuff.

Regards,
JPG

kevininrussia
June 24th, 2020, 22:31
Hello:

1. Custom map
3. <FGU data folder>/campaign/<Campaign Name>/images/)
4. half of the players could see the map, other half could not.

I had the players who could not see the map close FGU and restart. They could see the map then. It seems to happen more often when I share the image when all players are logged in. If I share a map image when no players are logged in to my server I have not had this issue.

Next time this happens I will try remote login to their computer and look for the campaign.dat file.

Game session last night did not have any image loading errors.

spoofer
June 24th, 2020, 22:34
We sometimes have this problem in Classic too. Does Classic also limit itself to a single request per map?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57627-Maps-not-loading-(FGC)

kevininrussia
June 24th, 2020, 22:50
In order to reduce overhead and deal with problematic situations with infinite requests, a graphic is currently only requested once per session. The only way to reset is to restart FGU. You can also delete the cache folder to remove any cached files to force a re-download.

It sounds like the graphics acquisition is failing somewhere; but it's not a general issue or it would be more prevalent with users. It could be a data corruption issue or data interception issue. Could something be intercepting or rewriting network traffic on the GM network?

If one game session the players are on a map with NPC tokens. The game ends but the tokens are still on the map. I then modify the tokens in photoshop but keep the file name and size the same between game session. Next game session I see the new tokens but the players only see a black box with a "?" for the token. Is that some cashed file issue?

Would be nice to have a command for the server to resend image assets (force a re-download).

LordEntrails
June 24th, 2020, 22:54
Yes, if FG sees that the player cache already has a file named xyz it does not perform a some sort of hash comparison to see if the file is new and then download it. Ruleset files do get a data comparison to see if they are new. But not images. Players would have to delete their cache and re-download everything.

kevininrussia
June 24th, 2020, 23:25
Yes, if FG sees that the player cache already has a file named xyz it does not perform a some sort of hash comparison to see if the file is new and then download it. Ruleset files do get a data comparison to see if they are new. But not images. Players would have to delete their cache and re-download everything.

Unfortunately not all of my players are computer savvy. I will try to guide them through the cashe deletion. So to be clear, I can have them delete all files in the FGUDataFolder/cache? Is this directory structure the same on Macs?

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2020, 23:29
Is that what you are doing? You are modifying the image/token graphics between sessions? If so, that may be an important clue in what is causing issues.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
June 24th, 2020, 23:42
Unfortunately not all of my players are computer savvy. I will try to guide them through the cashe deletion. So to be clear, I can have them delete all files in the FGUDataFolder/cache? Is this directory structure the same on Macs?
From the FG launch screen have them click the folder icon. That opens a browser in the FG Data directory (in case they did not locate it in a default location). Then open the cache folder. Then delete the entire folder that has a name that matches your campaign name.

kevininrussia
June 25th, 2020, 01:25
Is that what you are doing? You are modifying the image/token graphics between sessions? If so, that may be an important clue in what is causing issues.

Regards,
JPG

I did that once with a token, it was not looking good on the map so I tweaked it.

The map, I didn't mess with after sharing. Still, if Unity is going to be designed with graphics in mind it seems like there should be a way to blast a new version to the players. What if I made a big dungeon crawl and want to make a change to the map? I cant unless everybody clears their cashe?

Yesterdays game I had 4 pit graphics in different layers. I was going to change their visibility when a player stepped on it (p.s. selecting those little icons is not easy as there is no exact click area). The players didnt see the pit layer. Today I logged in with my test computer and saw the layer so cant duplicate it. I'll have a player login this weekend and see if they still cant see it.

LordEntrails, thanks for that info. I'll have them do that next time I run into a graphics issue.

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2020, 01:30
I'm not saying that it's not expected to be able to tweak the graphics in between sessions; just that it's an important piece of information, in case it's related to the issue you've been having.

Each time a player loads an image for the first time after connecting, a file hash is generated and sent to the server. If the file hash matches the server version, then it's done. Otherwise, the server should send the image again, which should get overriden and updated by the latest server version.

The question mark graphic you are seeing is the default graphic indicating that the graphic specified is not available. The reason it would not be available is that either the image is missing or the image was unable to be loaded. If I can get a reproduceable scenario, then it will be much easier to figure out exactly where the fail occurs (network, save, load, something else, ...), and be able to figure out how to fix long term.

Regards,
JPG

kevininrussia
June 25th, 2020, 02:07
Understood.

I will do some tests this weekend editing in Photoshop; graphics, maps, tokens and updating the server. Then see how its updated on the client computers.