PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I am getting overwhelmed and in too deep with all this troubleshooting.

Illium
June 23rd, 2020, 19:24
Hi all, let me preface this by saying thank you for swinging in and reading this. It means a lot that people are willing to try and help people figure things out.

So, I am a GM that has a decent history of playing D&D, but I am entirely new to trying to play any campaigns (as a player or running it) in an online setting. The majority of things in Fantasy Grounds are pretty straightforward and easy-ish to figure out, but my problem is that I cannot get my fantasy grounds to succeed in a connection test.

I read the stickied posts on here and sadly I am barely able to follow at all; I am not tech savvy at all, and when it comes to computers and I have really been struggling to try and figure it out. I would say that I have tried port forwarding on my router but I am not even sure if I had been doing that properly, I am that computer-tech illiterate. I was able to find my IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as well as my subnet masks and dns things, but I don't even know what any of those terms mean or their specific relevance to what exactly I need to do. I have also tried doing online searches and there are tutorials and web pages out there that give step by step processes, but they all are written as if the person that is reading it is already familiar with all the terms and such.

I have a Linksys EA 6350 router and I also have a screenshot of the router access to being able to do the port forwarding that I need to do (I think).

Any advice/direction whatsoever would be a tremendous help for this computer ignorant dude.

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2020, 21:43
HI Illium, welcome to FG and sorry that you are having an issue.

Can you try and answer the questions at the end of this post here and attach the screenshots to that thread and we'll be able to help further (you port forward rule looks fine btw as long as the IP address you blacked out is the same address that it shows your computer has - there's nothing secret about that address - it's internal only).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47051-Fantasy-Grounds-Connections-Explained