PDA

View Full Version : adding homebrewed content

kpfleuger29
June 23rd, 2020, 13:21
Is it possible to add custom rule sets into fantasy grounds? like adding new weapon properties? for example how would the Cruel weapon property

"Cruel: If this property is applied to a weapon by its ammunition, it applies only for the attacks that make use of such ammunition. Each successful attack with a cruel weapon leaves a piece (or the entirety) of the weapon or ammunition in the wound. Removing the object requires an action and a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Medicine) check, with each failure inflicting 1 additional point of damage. For each piece of cruel ammunition currently in a target, temporarily reduce its maximum hit points by 1 and increase the DC of any Wisdom (Medicine) checks to stabilize it by 1. Cruel ammunition is always destroyed when used" or the Deadly Weapon Property

"Deadly: With any successful attack, you can reroll up to one of the weapon’s damage dice if it rolls a 1. You cannot re-roll any die that has already been re-rolled with another effect." be added so that Fantasy Grounds uses it automatically?

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2020, 16:13
Hi kpfleuger welcome to FG.

I fear most of what this weapon does will need to be done manually. There's no effect which will automatically add to the DC of a skill check. You could apply an effect to whoever is trying to heal the character of SKILL, -1, medicine. But you would have to update it manually at every failure.

The Damage can be set up as a damaging effect which just does 1 point of damage and can just be dragged onto the target. The reduction of max hit points is problematic but you could use this extension. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58607-5E-Constitutional-Amendments

You can add reroll 1 to a weapon's properties which will reroll any 1's automatically. However it isn't restricted to just the one dice so if the weapon rolled two dice and both came up a 1 then both 1's would get rerolled. Since the chance of two 1's coming up is relatively small this probably works ok and wouldn't unbalance things too much.

kpfleuger29
June 23rd, 2020, 16:57
Thank you for the response, I will definitely be looking into this. Right now I'm still adding some new weapons to the item list, and now i'm having trouble adding weapons because inputting damage isn't showing up when i create item and go to fill out the form.

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2020, 17:00
Information on entering items available in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/786659/5E+Item+Sheet+and+Treasure+Parcels#Create-a-Weapon

Note the info in the "Type" field - you need to set that to Weapon to enable the weapon specific fields.

GavinRuneblade
June 23rd, 2020, 17:37
Is it possible to add custom rule sets into fantasy grounds? like adding new weapon properties? for example how would the Cruel weapon property

"Cruel: If this property is applied to a weapon by its ammunition, it applies only for the attacks that make use of such ammunition. Each successful attack with a cruel weapon leaves a piece (or the entirety) of the weapon or ammunition in the wound. Removing the object requires an action and a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Medicine) check, with each failure inflicting 1 additional point of damage. For each piece of cruel ammunition currently in a target, temporarily reduce its maximum hit points by 1 and increase the DC of any Wisdom (Medicine) checks to stabilize it by 1. Cruel ammunition is always destroyed when used" or the Deadly Weapon Property

"Deadly: With any successful attack, you can reroll up to one of the weapon’s damage dice if it rolls a 1. You cannot re-roll any die that has already been re-rolled with another effect." be added so that Fantasy Grounds uses it automatically?
Yay another fan of the comprehensive equipment guide! Love that stuff.

On cruel, there is no need to automate the DC or the medicine check because the DM adjudicates that anyway. You just need to track how many stacks of cruel are present. By dropping multiple "cruel; DMGO: 1" effects you can quickly count how many and there you are. Alternatively you can have a set of DMGO: 1, DMGO: 2, DMGO: 3 etc and replace with whichever one is appropriate. I found that frustrating so I just drag stacks of DMGO: 1.

On Deadly, I just let it reroll all of them. Bit of a buff, but still weaker as a property than finesse or light. So I'm ok with it.

kpfleuger29
June 23rd, 2020, 18:40
Yay another fan of the comprehensive equipment guide! Love that stuff.

On cruel, there is no need to automate the DC or the medicine check because the DM adjudicates that anyway. You just need to track how many stacks of cruel are present. By dropping multiple "cruel; DMGO: 1" effects you can quickly count how many and there you are. Alternatively you can have a set of DMGO: 1, DMGO: 2, DMGO: 3 etc and replace with whichever one is appropriate. I found that frustrating so I just drag stacks of DMGO: 1.

On Deadly, I just let it reroll all of them. Bit of a buff, but still weaker as a property than finesse or light. So I'm ok with it.

Thank you! and yes the comprehensive equipment guide is amazing! is their a way i can code the damage to reroll automatically if it rolls a 1?

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2020, 21:45
Thank you! and yes the comprehensive equipment guide is amazing! is their a way i can code the damage to reroll automatically if it rolls a 1?

As noted in post #2, add 'reroll 1' to the wepoan properties (without the quotes).

More info here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/786659/5E+Item+Sheet+and+Treasure+Parcels#Create-a-Weapon

kpfleuger29
June 24th, 2020, 18:09
i finally got the reroll function for the deadly property to work. THANK YOU ALL! now to figure out your suggestion for Cruel property

Zacchaeus
June 24th, 2020, 18:21
See my graphic.

The physical dice doesn't actually roll but it tells you in chat how many dice were rerolled on a 1 and what the result was. As you can see in my screenshot it rerolled the one but came up with one again - which can happen.

GavinRuneblade
June 24th, 2020, 18:37
i finally got the reroll function for the deadly property to work. THANK YOU ALL! now to figure out your suggestion for Cruel property

This: 37135
If you don't mind counting stacks, just use the first line and you're done. If you prefer knowing how many, then you add extra lines as shown and remove the old one replace with the higher. This also helps when removing them because remember you gotta remove each one at a time so the DC rises and lowers as you work. I tried having the multiple versions with the counter but it got annoying adding and removing. So now I just use the single line and count. Means I sometimes make mistakes. Meh, worth it. I'm lazy.

kpfleuger29
June 25th, 2020, 04:15
Thank you both for the help new to fantasy grounds and im working on a campaign and I'm a fan of homebrew since it's different, I am big on customization, being able to make characters truly unique with memorable equipment, personality, skill sets etc is what i try to bring to my campaigns, utilizing the same old classes and races and longsword and greataxe etc, gets a little dull at times