PDA

View Full Version : Multiple instances of FG on Mac

Markd102
June 23rd, 2020, 07:00
I've seen in a video that you can have 2 instances of FG open at the same time. One for GM and one as a player.
I can't work out how to open a second instance on a Mac. Does anyone known if this is possible?

damned
June 23rd, 2020, 08:54
On FG Classic you actually need to install a second copy of FG in a wineskin.

HywelPhillips
June 25th, 2020, 09:55
Anyone know if you can do this for Unity? Would be very useful for streaming games.

LordEntrails
June 25th, 2020, 14:18
Anyone know if you can do this for Unity? Would be very useful for streaming games.
You shouldn't need to install FGU multiple times on a Mac to get this functionality. You will just need to launch the program twice. Doing that on a Mac requires you to change a system setting to allow multiple instances of the same program. There is a thread around here with instructions or you can Google it for instructions. (Multiple installs were required for FGC because of use of the wine wrapper).

HywelPhillips
June 25th, 2020, 14:33
... ah, fantastic!

Just so anyone looking for this thread later finds the answer, it's as simple as:

open -n -a FantasyGrounds.app

in Terminal.
(prepend the path to Fantasy Grounds directory if you're not running the command in the FantasyGrounds directory inside Applications)

It connects you as a player if you've already got the game running as GM, which is exactly what I want for streaming. That allows me to show a window with just chat, combat tracker and big map alongside the Discord window with the video feeds from the players on on screen, and have my GM instance running on the same Mac on my other screen, so the streaming feed won't have a hundred windows with all the GM clutter :)

Cheers, Hywel