PDA

View Full Version : World of the Dead - got the pregens redone

Varsuuk
June 21st, 2020, 19:44
I found various discrepancies in the pregens supplied for WotD. I know it's an old and abandoned line (I was told for SWEX originally?) [Note: Abandoned means content fixes, Smiteworks has kept it working with all the newer update of course, in case you are new and reading my comment]. The owner of the IP has, reportedly, dropped interest in it. Which is a shame, it looks interesting and I am going to try running it in two weeks. If they like it I will have to convert the next 3 modules on my own over time for personal use since there is no way to contact them for permission. I also did more tokens/portraits but that was more to learn what to do - they aren't really needed. I'm not very graphically-savvy.

I enquired on how to get this to SmiteWorks folks for their own use if desired (along with a bug fix in SWD encumbrance limit calc - it get's overwritten with SWADE numbers) that I did in an ext while working on my WotD campaign.

I fixed mostly little things like missing data, added all the links, fixed more substantive things like missing or wrong skills. I wish I kept a running list, but at first I was doing it only for myself. I noticed in the setting that there are portraits for "Survivors 2" add-on PDF. So I wonder if they were legal to include as well in the WotD Chapter 1 product? If so, I can give them the same treatment (san backstory, since those 5? didn't have a backstory like the original 10.)

If they let me know, I will do it with full treatment like ones I just did.

The overview

Note correct SWD encumbrance value ;)

EDIT: Damn... I meant to put this in the Savage Worlds forum. I guess it works here since it was something I modified but... oops.

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2020, 22:16
You should forward anything you would like included to Ikael to look at; since he is the DLC developer for the Savage Worlds ruleset, and helps clean up the rest to work as well.

Regards,
JPG

Varsuuk
June 21st, 2020, 23:25
Cool how do I send it then is there a site to upload, and email, ftp, etc?

Varsuuk
June 21st, 2020, 23:27
Also, is it legit to submit the “Survivors 2” pdf guys? I see that you include all their images in portraits of the original WotD set but not the stars so not sure if SW has rights to distribute?

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2020, 23:57
You should PM Ikael directly to see if he is interested in incorporating. I'll move this thread to SW forum as well.

I don't know what "Survivors 2" pdf is in reference to. Is it part of the original War of the Dead product, or part of a later revision, or something else?

JPG

Varsuuk
June 22nd, 2020, 03:04
Well, the adventure on FG store is War of the Dead, Chapter 1. They also sells a maps mod (I bought it on DTRPG instead so I could ACCESS the maps to use as I wish - if it doesn't go in the vault, there should be a noticeable comment on the page so I know I can buy these things from Smiteworks instead)

When I go to PreGens on that, it included these 10 "PCs" which confused me a bit as I have the full WotD PDF set and never saw them in it. In fact, they seem to be based on the "Alternate Beginnings" option (starting on land.)

What's more - the portraits option shows these new PC pregens AND it shows another 5 I wasn't familiar with (the portraits all have the names of specific characters) - then a year or so later I bought the PDFs for all chapters on DTRPG and various one shots by them and others. I found there the Survivors PDF which came with 2 pdfs in a zip file:
WOTD_CharacterSheet_TheSurvivors_filled_sheets.pdf &
WaroftheDead_TheSurvivors_overview.pdf

The former is the main info and "motivations" the later overview gives more images and the "backstory" for each PC.

---
I also bought all the rest available there which included:

War of the Dead: The Survivors 2 (by Jordan Pea**** --> Not Lee like the others - although still "sold by Daring Entertainment)
This one lists 5 more PCs - exactly in same character sheet format as the first PDF above (but without the Overview section - so if I added these to the PC Pregen mod - I'd have to leave backstory blank because any story I added would be non-canon.)

Now, I would have said that maybe this second one was just not "out" when the <MOD was made, but the mod has all the portraits and names of the PCs in Survivors 2 which is weird. But I erred on the side of protecting IP.

---
I also bought all the rest, those didn't factor in since they would be NEW material and as far as I know, this guy is not interested/working with WotD anymore so not sure you can get permission to produce it.

I'll PM Ikael on asking how to send him my work on it.

Varsuuk
June 22nd, 2020, 03:08
Well, the adventure on FG store is War of the Dead, Chapter 1. They also sells a maps mod (I bought it on DTRPG instead so I could ACCESS the maps to use as I wish - if it doesn't go in the vault, there should be a noticeable comment on the page so I know I can buy these things from Smiteworks instead)

When I go to PreGens on that, it included these 10 "PCs" which confused me a bit as I have the full WotD PDF set and never saw them in it. In fact, they seem to be based on the "Alternate Beginnings" option (starting on land.)

Here is a pic of the screen that motivated me (simply ironically because first Michael did not have "Novice" marker in the Pregen screen - bugged me... then noticed his Toughness (and later ANY PC mods for any of them were not present) was wrong and finally that weight was off (seperate general SWD issue) so off I went.

What's more - the portraits option shows these new PC pregens AND it shows another 5 I wasn't familiar with (the portraits all have the names of specific characters) - then a year or so later I bought the PDFs for all chapters on DTRPG and various one shots by them and others. I found there the Survivors PDF which came with 2 pdfs in a zip file:
WOTD_CharacterSheet_TheSurvivors_filled_sheets.pdf &
WaroftheDead_TheSurvivors_overview.pdf

The former is the main info and "motivations" the later overview gives more images and the "backstory" for each PC.

---
I also bought all the rest available there which included:

War of the Dead: The Survivors 2 (by Jordan Pea**** --> Not Lee like the others - although still "sold by Daring Entertainment)
This one lists 5 more PCs - exactly in same character sheet format as the first PDF above (but without the Overview section - so if I added these to the PC Pregen mod - I'd have to leave backstory blank because any story I added would be non-canon.)

Now, I would have said that maybe this second one was just not "out" when the <MOD was made, but the mod has all the portraits and names of the PCs in Survivors 2 which is weird. But I erred on the side of protecting IP.

---
I also bought all the rest, those didn't factor in since they would be NEW material and as far as I know, this guy is not interested/working with WotD anymore so not sure you can get permission to produce it.

I'll PM Ikael on asking how to send him my work on it.

Varsuuk
June 22nd, 2020, 04:06
OK - figured out that my extension does "solve" the:

Runtime Notice: Reloading ruleset
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (portraittoken_base)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (portraittoken_mask)
Ruleset Notice: Campaign database backup created.

issue - I finally noticed it. I was trying to load the characters to the CT to test this "auto-use" of ammo -> didn't work for me, but will get back to it to retry - unless they meant it is autouse in SWADE only - in which case we probably need the return of the old functionality in SWD if not getting the new functionality? But... I digress.

Then when added the portrait to my character, noticed the empty circle for the token DISAPPEARED, but in actuality, the token was still there. When load the extension and add portrait, the token turns into a portrait token. Again, could fix it easier in the WotD.ext vs adding a WotDFixes.ext like I did ;)