PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Pins Not Saving on Map Images

kronovan
June 21st, 2020, 17:35
This problem has just appeared in my 5e campaign; when I place an encounter pin and then exit the campaign, they're no longer on that map the next time I load the campaign and load that map. It was working just a week ago for another map that's stored in the same campaign \Images folder. I run FGC as Administrator and I've checked the permissions for the \Images folder and this particular map file and I have full access. This problem is by no means a game breaker, as each of the rooms on the map are numbered on my DM master and I include those room numbers in the names of the encounters. It's just that this raises concerns that other aspects of the campaign may not save correctly, or may not in the future. the encounters I've recently created and recent NPCs I've added have both been saving correctly.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced encounter pins not saving on a map?

[Edit] Probably should have mentioned that I renamed my 5e.PAK and CoreRPG.PAK files and did an update to ensure I have the most recent.
Darn - just noticed that masks and grids also aren't saving on this map image. Meanwhile another map from the same \Images folder for which I just set a mask and grid for, have been saved successfully. So it appears to be just this particular map image. Weird - this is the 1st time I've ever had this happened.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2020, 18:21
The only thing I notice is that you are calling it Images folder. It should be images. But this just may be a typo?

You should not need to run FG as administrator. Have you installed FG to the default settings? Is FG still pointing to the correct folder where your data is stored in settings.

kronovan
June 21st, 2020, 18:36
The only thing I notice is that you are calling it Images folder. It should be images. But this just may be a typo?

You should not need to run FG as administrator. Have you installed FG to the default settings? Is FG still pointing to the correct folder where your data is stored in settings.

Thanks for the reply Zacchaeus,

Yes I was indeed capitalizing the 1st letter of images when in fact it isn't. As far as I'm aware FGC is installed to the default settings. My license was purchased via Steam, so the FantasyGrounds folder is installed under a SteamLibrary\Steamapps\Common\ folder. I manually moved my Data folder when I 1st purchased FGC, because I didn't like it being nested so deeply within the SteamLibrary. Currently my data folder is residing under my Users\accountname\ folder. When I click the [open data folder] icon on the FGC launcher, it opens to the correct folder. I also always launch FGC outside of Steam from a shortcut on my desktop.

As I said above, all the other maps that I've used or tested are working fine for saving encounter pins, masks and grids. This appears to be an isolated case, which is why it's perplexing me.

[Edit] I should have mentioned that the placed NPC tokens for my encounters are being saved on this map - just not the pins, masks and grid.

kronovan
June 22nd, 2020, 08:50
So I deleted all my placed tokens for my encounters on this map, deleted the map from Images and Maps, then physically deleted the map in the \images folder. I then copied the JPG map file from it's original location back into the \images folder. All is well now - encounter pins, grids and masks are all saving correctly. I guess that map somehow got corrupted. I hope this doesn't happen again, but I'm glad for my encounter naming convention which has made it easy for me to place my NPC tokens again in the correct locations.

Three of Swords
June 22nd, 2020, 11:44
I had this issue once. Set up the grid on a map 3 or 4 times and lost it every time. Had to delete and re-copy the file as well. I didn't have encounter pins on it, so didn't have that problem, but sounds like I prob would have.

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2020, 14:01
The only time I've seen this happen is when there were two spaces together in the image filename. The FG Classic XML subsystem removes double-spaces from within the XML when the campaign starts up. If the image filename has double-spaces, it will work when the image is first added, but when the campaign is restarted FG is looking for an image with only one space (because the XML subsystem has removed the second space on restart) and so FG thinks the old map has been removed (as it can't match the filename with only one space), and so clears out that image from the image list. However, it sees a new image with two spaces in the filename, and so loads it as a new image. To the user this appears as if the original image is there, but all of their changes on the image have been lost.

So, make sure you never have double-spaces in your FG image names.

Three of Swords
June 22nd, 2020, 14:14

I did not know this. I don't think it was the case, as I don't remember changing the filename the 2nd time when it worked. But good trouble-shooting tip if I have trouble in the future. Thanks!

kronovan
June 22nd, 2020, 15:48
The only time I've seen this happen is when there were two spaces together in the image filename. The FG Classic XML subsystem removes double-spaces from within the XML when the campaign starts up. If the image filename has double-spaces, it will work when the image is first added, but when the campaign is restarted FG is looking for an image with only one space (because the XML subsystem has removed the second space on restart) and so FG thinks the old map has been removed (as it can't match the filename with only one space), and so clears out that image from the image list. However, it sees a new image with two spaces in the filename, and so loads it as a new image. To the user this appears as if the original image is there, but all of their changes on the image have been lost.

I'm currently not at my PC and can't recall if there were double-spaces in the filename. It's possible I had the original JPG file in 2 different locations and copied it from a different location the 2nd time. I'll check when I can, but otherwise many thanks for that important tip.