PDA

View Full Version : What is the range your group uses for how far Darkvision works?

DragonsDen13
June 21st, 2020, 03:23
I am curious what people use for the upper limit of this ability; since as far as I can tell there is none specifically listed in the RAW.

Or am I reading it incorrectly and the 60' (typically) is the max they can see? Which would seem very limiting but maybe what is intended since they are looking in the dark.

Cheers.

Griogre
June 21st, 2020, 03:29
Most PC races have 60 foot darkvision as mentioned in their racial darkvision trait.

Kitamasu1
June 21st, 2020, 04:02
Yeah, 60' is the maximum. Anything past that is out of sight.

GavinRuneblade
June 21st, 2020, 04:48
Practically speaking, I think the max is 150'. This requires the warlock eldritch invocation (120') and at least one of the effects that says "if you already have darkvision then the range is increased by XX'".

In general, 60' is normal.

With darkvision, it is very important to remember that you don't have particularly good vision. First it is dimly lit to you, so disadvantage on all perception checks within the range of your darkvision. And second, you can't see colors. Finally, dark vision (except the warlock and fiendish versions) do not allow you to see through magical darkness.

DragonsDen13
June 21st, 2020, 05:50
Thanks for the responses. It helps me out.