PDA

View Full Version : Proficieny w/o Level (Gamemastery Guide)

EmptyOwl
June 20th, 2020, 17:13
Hiyas,

So, I made a copy of my PF2 ruleset, unzipped it, opened it up and made some changes to get rid of level to proficiency (as per the Gamemastery Guide variant rules) but I either cannot get FGU to recognize the ruleset (when in a .pak) or can't get it to load any PF2 modules (when just an open folder in the ruleset folder).

Any tips on how I am doing this wrong?

Thanks!

Trenloe
June 20th, 2020, 18:23
What have you called your directory that you've put the ruleset in? That will be the name of the ruleset. If it's not PFRPG2 then that will make it a completely new ruleset and you won't be able to open any modules tagged for PFRPG2. You can use the Universal Modules extension to work around this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension

You're best approach is to make an extension that overrides just the code in the normal ruleset. Otherwise you're going to have to update your custom ruleset every time there's a new version (about every 2-3 weeks).

EmptyOwl
June 20th, 2020, 18:32
Heyya, thanks for the quick response!

So, I tried a couple things. One was to remove the PFRPG2.pak from the ruleset folder totally and rename my set that, but it wouldn't show up under the rulesets in Unity when I tried to create a campaign. Said behavior I totally do not understand. How does it know things were modified? Does it do a checksum or something?

The other thing I did was to name my ruleset differently then create a folder in the ruleset folder with that new name, where it will show up as a ruleset, but then not load any modules. I see from your reply why this is, thank you for that!

Another thing I did was make a .pak file from my modified PSRPG2 files with its own name and that also would not show as a ruleset when I load Unity. Again, I don't understand why.

So an extension can override core functionality? Or would that be a full on module? I guess I am having a little trouble understanding the difference between a module and an extension.

I will check out that override thing at least initially until I can get a better grasp on subtle changes vs a straight-on brute force override ;-)

Thanks again!

Trenloe
June 20th, 2020, 19:08
Modules contain data, extensions contain code that modifies an underlying ruleset.

Try the attached extension - this overrides the standard GameSystem.getProfBonus function, removing the PC level from the calculation.

The attached extension is for FG Classic only. For FG Unity use the extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59257-Proficieny-w-o-Level-(Gamemastery-Guide)&p=643445&viewfull=1#post643445

EmptyOwl
June 20th, 2020, 19:19
So I think I may have been updating when it told me too, which would have overwritten my changes? That may be some of the trouble I was having, but I still don't understand why it would not recognize my renamed .pak as a ruleset.

The override .ext thing works great with the PF2 house rules ruleset (an open folder in the ruleset folder). Now I will go study how to make an .ext and your example file should be of great help with that. I thank you for your time!

Thank you!

Trenloe
June 20th, 2020, 19:23
...but I still don't understand why it would not recognize my renamed .pak as a ruleset.
I'm guessing it wasn't packaged properly (you need to ZIP the files from within the ruleset directory), or a different compression other than ZIP was used.

EmptyOwl
June 20th, 2020, 19:33
Oh, so it has to be zipped from inside the ruleset folder? I had made a different folder I called testing so as not to overwrite or accidentally destroy stuff and did the zipping with 7zip from there.

Good to know!

Trenloe
June 20th, 2020, 19:43
You don't need to ZIP within the FG \rulesets directory. You need to ZIP the ruleset .pak file from within whichever directory you unzipped it to - where the base.xml file and all the other files are. Look in the ZIP file, if you see base.xml (and the rest of the ruleset structure) at the root of the ZIP file, then it's OK. If you just see a single directory in the root of the ZIP file then you've ZIPed from outside of the directory.

Open any ruleset .pak file to see how it's setup.

EmptyOwl
June 20th, 2020, 19:55
100% the issue. Single folder! Thanks!

viedevie
September 12th, 2020, 13:58
Thanks a lot for this extension !!!
Really good

Trenloe
September 12th, 2020, 14:04
Thanks a lot for this extension !!!
Really good
You're welcome. To be honest, I completely forgot I made that. :) Added to the PF2 extension list thread...

viedevie
September 12th, 2020, 14:07
Without this extension , my players and me were using the paper character sheet. It was to long fot me to change skills, combat,, save .... each time the gained a new level.
But now with this extension we can play as we like
Next game will be next week , my players are going to be very surprised and happy
thanks again ;)

TheElectricCity
May 14th, 2021, 00:29
Does this extension affect monsters or is it necessary to modify monsters manually?

Trenloe
May 14th, 2021, 08:38
Does this extension affect monsters or is it necessary to modify monsters manually?
Welcome to the FG forums. NPCs don't have proficiency levels, so this extension has no impact on them.

EmptyOwl
May 14th, 2021, 21:26
Sadly, I have had to go in and subtract the listed level from everything. It is pretty quick, but with the new Automation effects you have to do the text as well as the automation effect, kinda a PITA but the game is SO much better w/o level to proficiency!

PS I can see why you aren't making the Gamemastery Guide yet, as you would need to support that option and the automation to make that would almost be a complete redo of all the Bestiaries!

EmptyOwl
March 11th, 2022, 00:03
Hi Trenloe,

This extension seems broken with the new update. It throws an application error for every skill, weapon, spell, etc on a given tab.

Any help or updates would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Trenloe
March 11th, 2022, 00:45
Hi Trenloe,

This extension seems broken with the new update. It throws an application error for every skill, weapon, spell, etc on a given tab.

Any help or updates would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Try the attached.

EmptyOwl
March 11th, 2022, 00:58
Thanks Trenloe! Logged everyone in and tested and everything seems just fine!