PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to create a weapon with bonus against certain races/ enemy types?

WinterSoldier7
June 20th, 2020, 16:20
Hello there,

I was wondering whether anyone knew of a way to create a weapon which would have +1 damage against certain races or enemy types? For example, a sword that does 1d6 slashing damage but +1 against Goblins.

I've scoured the forums and it seems like I could maybe add a Power to the Player's abilities sheet, but no such effects to weapons. Could someone please confirm or advise?

Thanks

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2020, 17:38
You can't apply effects to weapons; unless you use this extension https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)

The effect you need is IFT: TYPE (goblinoid); DMG: 1

More on effects here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884913/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

And in these videos https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

WinterSoldier7
June 20th, 2020, 18:23
Thank you, I had no idea there were extensions. I'll look into this shortly.

Meanwhile, as a stop-gap, is it possible for me - as DM - to manually add bonuses to a Player's attack roll before/ after they make it? That way I could simply add the +1 when the certain enemy is attacked by memory.

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2020, 18:39
Yes, add the bonus to your modifier box, then drag the roll result back to chat. It will then add the bonus and you can then drag to target as desired.

BUT, to me it's just easier to just tell the player, "oh, with your undead bonus you did hit, roll damage" or for damage, just manually adjust the NPC wounds.

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2020, 18:42
You don't need the extension. You can add an effect to the player's action tab as noted above and apply the effect. The effect will look to see if the target is a goblinoid and if it is automatically add a point of damage. The only downside is that the effect is weapon agnostic so will fire when any weapon is used rather than just the one you want.

Without the effect the player would need to add a 1 to the modifier box before they roll damage or you as DM could manually adjust the damage done by adding in the extra point to the target's wounds.

WinterSoldier7
June 20th, 2020, 20:02
Ah ok, I had no idea I could manually adjust enemy health though that does make sense.

Thank you for your input, I'll have a play around!

RedmondStache
June 20th, 2020, 20:27
The only downside is that the effect is weapon agnostic so will fire when any weapon is used rather than just the one you want.

I've got a player who uses a Dwarven Thrower, which does extra dice against giants, and I find an easy way to get around this at least a little bit (unless the character carries a variety of weapons) is to limit the bonus to a specific attack type, be it melee or ranged.

If they've only got the one weapon for that attack type, then there are no more concerns to be had.