PDA

View Full Version : Basic newbie question: If a Hexblade takes a Level of Fighter,

Vos
June 20th, 2020, 15:33
The rules say He has to have a STR of 13. Can he still use his CHR to hit/damage? or is he stuck with the 13 for a level.

That said I am trying to make a Hex/pact of chain lock and later go sorcerer.
But if we are without fighters, I may be forced to go with pact of the blade.

to be honest I would love to get to Level 6 as a hexblade just to get the specter because it is so very dark, but my plan is to get to level 4, up my stat, and switch to divine soul sorcerer.

the character is a nice guy, but he's a tainted soul...I'm thinking of getting speak with dead at will for that taint to really come out (but that is 9th level). He won't really be comfortable with his powers, but is forced into adventuring.

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2020, 17:42
If the character is using only weapons that they can have access too as a Hexblade then they'll continue to use CHA. Otherwise they'd use STR.

Vos
June 20th, 2020, 17:46
If the character is using only weapons that they can have access too as a Hexblade then they'll continue to use CHA. Otherwise they'd use STR.
Thanks! that would be all martial weapons

GavinRuneblade
June 21st, 2020, 04:56
Here is the rule

The influence of your patron also allows you to mystically channel your will through a particular weapon. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type. Notice the emphasis. It is one specific weapon. Not all weapons, not any weapon. Each day, you can select one weapon, say your magic longsword, and you can attack with Cha using that longsword. If you are disarmed and pick up a different longsword, you cannot use Cha. Also, keep in mind the limit of no two-handed weapons unless you take the pact of the blade. And you will never be able to attack with your off-hand weapon if you fight using two weapons unless you use something like a double-weapon and pact of the blade.