PDA

View Full Version : FG 2 ... Unusable.

Oberoten
April 23rd, 2007, 10:25
Alas, I have been in the Beta and I have really looked forward to the program, but still there remains one thing not corrected that pretty much makes 2.0 useless for me. As for the beta-phase and pointing this out, yes I did and I was told it was going to be adressed. I am actually rather dissapointed.

For me as a GM I love letting the story hang on the open rolls, letting the dice fall where they fall with all the random and chaos that can create. Including letting the main villain fail that EVER important major thingamabob he has been working on all campaign long. Anticlimatic, yes. Fun, itae orcae it was. Still one of those remembered Deadpool-ish moments.

But unlike in FG 1.5f where I could use /die codes to roll open rolls in FG2.0 ALL rolls made by me as a GM are hidden. There seems to be no way past this except re-writing the dice-codes myself which pretty much removes the graphic dice entirely since those are hardcoded.

FG 2 seems at a first glance to be more stable which is good. It was needed.
It is pretty, it has script... and I will have to stick with 1.5f with all it's unstabilities.

tdwyer11b
April 23rd, 2007, 10:37
Hate to hear that Oberoten, hopefully something will work out for you. While I don't have an issue with hiding dice rolls (old habit from my HS group), my current players enjoy open rolls which means I'm stuck dragging the result back to the chatbox.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 10:43
I don't seem to be able to drag my roll results to the chat box.

Goblin-King
April 23rd, 2007, 11:08
Oberoten, that functionality went into the engine after your beta post, but it's not used in the d20 ruleset at the moment. I'm going to figure out something for this, as it's not really a lot of work.

In the mean time, you can hold down the control key when you roll manually to reveal the rolls.

Oberoten
April 23rd, 2007, 11:32
Oberoten, that functionality went into the engine after your beta post, but it's not used in the d20 ruleset at the moment. I'm going to figure out something for this, as it's not really a lot of work.

In the mean time, you can hold down the control key when you roll manually to reveal the rolls.

Actually that is all I ask for and need. ... Any other undocumented features like that?

Oberoten
April 23rd, 2007, 11:49
Actually that is all I ask for and need. ... Any other undocumented features like that?

... Ehh... Scratch that. It turns the mod-box total into a negative. IE skill total becomes a penalty to the roll.

Tailz Silver Paws
April 23rd, 2007, 12:52
Let me understand this correctly, all you want Oberoten is that when you roll dice, it automaticaly tells the players what you have rolled and the result?

This may sound stupid, and I might be missing the point, but why not just work telling the players the dice roll result into your story telling? (until this feature is implemented?)

VenomousFiligree
April 23rd, 2007, 12:55
... Ehh... Scratch that. It turns the mod-box total into a negative. IE skill total becomes a penalty to the roll.

Yeah same for me too, although holding down ctrl reveals the dice roll, it also inverts the modifier, positive becomes negative and negative becomes positive!

The High Druid
April 23rd, 2007, 13:14
Seems to works as long as you release the control key before the dice finished rolling.

Tokuriku
April 23rd, 2007, 13:44
Let me understand this correctly, all you want Oberoten is that when you roll dice, it automaticaly tells the players what you have rolled and the result?

This may sound stupid, and I might be missing the point, but why not just work telling the players the dice roll result into your story telling? (until this feature is implemented?)

I use it sometimes to let the die decide rather then the GM, it gives a feeling of pure adrenaline to the players.

kimba
April 23rd, 2007, 17:41
I may be missing something here, but if you simply drop the dice on the chat window it posts the results does it not?

Illrigger
April 23rd, 2007, 18:21
I may be missing something here, but if you simply drop the dice on the chat window it posts the results does it not?
Not as the DM. Rolls are hidden (note the ?) until you drag them out.

Ricboy
April 23rd, 2007, 20:15
does'nt the "/die reveal" or "/die hidden" answer your needs?

richvalle
April 23rd, 2007, 20:26
Those were not available when the thread started. Now they are just talking about how it used to work or works 'normally'.

rv

sppeterson
April 23rd, 2007, 20:32
I had one odd error with die reveal --

-- it works fine for almost everything, but when I drag my bad guy's "heavy mace +3 melee (1d8+2)" the attack roll retains the question mark

but when I just drag the damage roll it's revealed.

all other rolls I've dragged so far off the sheet are revealed just fine too

Oberoten
April 23rd, 2007, 22:12

I have taken to always doing rolls openly, it adds a certain amount of chaos and unpredictability. As well as keeping both me and them on our toes. Especially with a system like Arm where the Stressdie can go to very extreme values.

Oberoten
April 23rd, 2007, 22:23
Ah. :) I am MUCH obligued for the VERY swift response to this. And indeed, this is exactly what I need to show that "yes, that simply disturbing roll was indeed NOT fudged..." *grins*

Normal Difficulty in Arm : 6+ or better on skill + stat + 1stressdie.
Highest roll ever : Zombie tossing a rock... 507. Six ones followed by an eight, each one meaning to double and reroll. .. and -5 for "No skill" :)

See why I need to be able to do the open rolls? :)

Tailz Silver Paws
April 24th, 2007, 02:40
Ah. :) I am MUCH obligued for the VERY swift response to this. And indeed, this is exactly what I need to show that "yes, that simply disturbing roll was indeed NOT fudged..." *grins*

Normal Difficulty in Arm : 6+ or better on skill + stat + 1stressdie.
Highest roll ever : Zombie tossing a rock... 507. Six ones followed by an eight, each one meaning to double and reroll. .. and -5 for "No skill" :)

See why I need to be able to do the open rolls? :)
Not really, but whatever floats your boat! :D