PDA

View Full Version : Where are my tokens? The data folder restructuring change in version 2

Goblin-King
April 23rd, 2007, 09:55
Version 2 incorporates a change that separates program files from user data files. This greatly improves usability on Windows Vista and also should make any backups/transfers or such you want to make with your personal data a bit easier.

All the executable files and other system files are located traditionally under the windows program files folder. However, all data files now reside under the application data folder.

You can find the application data folder for FG by navigating to the folder that is at the following location on most windows XP installs (Please note that the "Application Data" folder is hidden by default for some reason):
C:\Documents and Settings\[Account name]\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II

Windows Vista should have a separate shortcut like My Documents pointing to this location.

There is also a shortcut to the folder in the Fantasy Grounds II start menu group.

The types of files contained in the data folder are:
Campaigns
Local characters
Modules
Portraits
Ruleset
Tokens
Screenshots

Doswelk
April 23rd, 2007, 15:44
Version 2 incorporates a change that separates program files from user data files. This greatly improves usability on Windows Vista and also should make any backups/transfers or such you want to make with your personal data a bit easier.

All the executable files and other system files are located traditionally under the windows program files folder. However, all data files now reside under the application data folder.

You can find the application data folder for FG by navigating to the folder that is at the following location on most windows XP installs (Please note that the "Application Data" folder is hidden by default for some reason):
C:\Documents and Settings\[Account name]\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II

Windows Vista should have a separate shortcut like My Documents pointing to this location.

There is also a shortcut to the folder in the Fantasy Grounds II start menu group.

The types of files contained in the data folder are:
Campaigns
Local characters
Modules
Portraits
Ruleset
Tokens
Screenshots

Where is the short cut in vista?

All I get is access denied when I manually enter the path...

(My Lite licence on XP is no problem though!)

Why not have just used My Documents instead?

Illrigger
April 23rd, 2007, 17:36
The Vista path is:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

There should be a shortcut on your start menu under FG2's entry to this - there is for me.

Doswelk
April 23rd, 2007, 18:08
The Vista path is:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

There should be a shortcut on your start menu under FG2's entry to this - there is for me.

D'oh.

I'm still getting to grips with Vista (And it's my job!)

Thanks for that, for some reason on my domain laptop the shortcut did not appear on the first install, but it's there on my home machine.....

<wanders away feeling sheepish>

Radclyffe
April 23rd, 2007, 19:12
I suspect I know the answer to this, but is there any option for keeping the FGII data in the FGII install directory?

Call me old fashioned, but I sometimes like for my executables and data to be in the same place (so I can, for example, just zip up the one folder and know I got all the pertinent files).

And you have to admit, c:\Fantasy Grounds II\portraits is a little easier to remember / nagivate to than C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\portraits

Thanks

Dupre
April 23rd, 2007, 20:14
I suspect I know the answer to this, but is there any option for keeping the FGII data in the FGII install directory?

The change is caused by Vista security policies and FGII was made Vista compatible. There is no option at this time of keeping the dynamic data under Program Files for any version of Windows.

Illrigger
April 23rd, 2007, 22:52
It's all about standards. Whether you run Windows, Linux, or OSX, the standards say that user generated data goes in the user folders, not with the app. It's been that way for over a decade for Unix OSes, and since 1999 for the others - Vista just happens to be the first Microsoft OS that really expects devs to do it and it behaves poorly if you don't. It's by far the most common reason that old apps don't work right on Vista; the rest are devs who took shortcuts that rely on custom DLLs and/or security holes.

Thanks, Smite guys, for taking the time to do it right - even it it does add a bit to the learning curve.

I am a bit confused as to why you didn't put the user data under Documents, tho....

Radclyffe
April 23rd, 2007, 23:38
Oh, I understand the reasons. I tend to think (for the majority of home users at least), that the standards don't represent the way the system is used. I would guess that most computers don't have multiple user profiles on them (and even those that do probably don't get used by the correct user every time, i.e. it's on and all I want to do is check my webmail so no need to switch users).

If possible, I guess I would vote for putting the data under My Documents as well. It's also buried in the filesystem, but at least Windows has a built in shortcut to that location all over the place :)

NymTevlyn
May 29th, 2007, 05:58
It's damned annoying to keep all that data in two different spots. I couldn't find out where to stick my portrait file anywhere. The folder just wasn't showing up, until I made hidden folders visible.

strayth
July 2nd, 2008, 00:18
Can't find where to place a map. I've moved the JPG through all the folders and it's not "draggable" as some other thread suggested.

Edit: woops just came up under Images as its own file. Convenient, that.

Baron_RWS
October 30th, 2009, 03:37
I found those directories right off however I still have empty token directories, does not FGII come with at least basic tokens?

adminwheel3
October 30th, 2009, 13:41
It comes with tokens that are just little disks, with letters of the alphabet on them. It also has 3 others...a skull and now I can't remember the other two.

Foen
October 30th, 2009, 14:11
...a pointing hand and a chest.

VenomousFiligree
October 30th, 2009, 15:12
Try looking here (https://www.rpgvirtualtabletop.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Tokens)for a few to keep you going! :)

Baron_RWS
October 31st, 2009, 20:55
It comes with tokens that are just little disks, with letters of the alphabet on them. It also has 3 others...a skull and now I can't remember the other two.

I know its supposed to but I have found no such tokens, I had to download the token pack but i still have no lettered discs. Do I have to move something to get them to appear or is there some sort of prerequisite of modules/maps open before the lettered tokens appear?

Leonal
November 1st, 2009, 01:10
Those tokens are included with the standard ruleset and other custom made rulesets may also include these (though maybe not all).
For example, if you look in the 'foundation' ruleset then the standard tokens are in:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\foundation\tokens\ (Windows 7 folder structure)

Baron_RWS
November 2nd, 2009, 14:16
Those tokens are included with the standard ruleset and other custom made rulesets may also include these (though maybe not all).
For example, if you look in the 'foundation' ruleset then the standard tokens are in:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\foundation\tokens\ (Windows 7 folder structure)

Now I'm really confused, I can start a foundation ruleset based game and see these tokens, however there is no foundation directory under rulesets, just the rolemaster one :pirate:

Edit a few minutes later:
Found them, or ones similar to them in the downloaded ADnD ruleset and moved those to my host folder - got them now.

Leonal
November 2nd, 2009, 14:27
Ah, you might need to extract the foundation.pak file in your Fantasy Grounds II program folder (not the appdata one).
You can find the FGPEMUtility.exe utility (to extract pak/ext/mod files) it in the downloads section here.

Kamber
February 6th, 2010, 10:28
I have no AppData whatso ever at the address listed above. I am using Win7 and 2.6 FG. This has frustrated me for an hour so if there is an easy solution I would love to hear it thanks.

The program looks nice and I plan on using it for Savage Worlds but it feels very empty right now.

Leonal
February 6th, 2010, 10:45
Make sure hidden/system folders are visible.

Even if they aren't you should be able to navigate there through the Windows Start Menu (FG2 program group) short cut "Application data folder".

Kamber
February 6th, 2010, 11:15
Thanks for the quick response.

They aren't hidden, they are locked as Read only. So no foul on FG here. Using properties to deselect Read only doesn't work. Of course. Trying to find a work aroun that doesn't involve registry-fu. As my Registry-fu is.. non existent.

I literal picked this up about an hour ago but I don't see a Start Menu at all, only the Start New, load campaign and the player manager buttons.

Leonal
February 6th, 2010, 11:25
Ah sorry I wasn't clear enough, I meant the Windows Start Menu. FG has a program group with a link to the folder there.

I don't think the read-only applies to all the files in the FG Appdata folder, though (at least mine aren't). I've never had problem copying new files to any folder there.

Kamber
February 6th, 2010, 11:38
Found it. Both set to read only and hidden. For my protection no doubt. :)
I look forward to seeing what FG can do.

Thanks again.

Aracon
February 9th, 2010, 00:07
Thanks for posting this... I was searching and searching and the appdata folder was hidden.

I'd suggest adding this as a readme file to installations or in the pdf instructions to make things a little bit easier to understand and find the folders... I had to stumble on this thread to do so...