PDA

View Full Version : Issues with IPv4

Zwergenmauer
June 19th, 2020, 13:09
This may seem silly, but my ISP does not handle IPv6 -- only IPv4. IN trying to do a workaround today, I guess this was the first I realized that FGU Cloud does not work with an IPv4 connection to host a game, only IPv6. (This may make sense to those more savvy, but it makes it somewhat silly for anyone with my same situation to purchase FGU if that's the case.) Is there a way that IPv4 would connect, and thus allow FGU to be played through the Cloud on an IPv4? If so, I'm all ears!

Trenloe
June 19th, 2020, 13:14
I've moved this to a new thread, because it really didn't have anything to do with the original thread it was posted in (issues with localhost connections on the same computer). Please only post in existing threads if your issue is *exactly* the same, otherwise it may mean you don't get fast/accurate support and it also sidetracks other people's issues. It's completely OK to create a new thread, so please do so if there isn't a current thread that *exactly* matches your issue.

damned
June 19th, 2020, 14:35
FGU works with IPv4 and IPv6.
Can you post some more details of what is happening?

greytiger10
June 20th, 2020, 00:45
My ISP only has IPv4 and I don't have any issues hosting a game on the cloud. I did used to have issues connecting if I had too many modules loaded up so I normally unload all or most of my modules at the end of every session and then after I start a new session and players have connected I might load an extra module. Normally I find I can get away withe the PHB and adventure modules loaded without problems.

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2020, 00:49
Can you please include the logs requested/detailed in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55185-Connection-Issues-And-What-To-Provide

Then please let us know the steps and options you are taking. As well as please include system information and if this issue repeats in a new campaign with the latest build of FGU.

Zwergenmauer
June 25th, 2020, 05:27
FGU works with IPv4 and IPv6.
Can you post some more details of what is happening?

Sure. The cloud server does not populate my game solely for IPv4 (IPv6 shows ::1). Therefore, when people try to locate my cloud-based game, they cannot because it has not populated for the cloud (for whatever reason). It doesn't seem to matter whether the game is private or public -- something I considered. Under similar conditions, FGC connects well and works fanTAStically, which has made me wonder what the hosting issue might be with FGU. This all despite being connected to the cloud server and having the latest updates. Port forwarding is go for FGC, so ought to be go for FGU as well.

I appreciated the suggestion from @greytiger10, but even after unloading all of the modules there was no change in cloud status. But even if it had, neither I nor @greytiger10 should have to go to that extreme after each game (I certainly do not need to do that in FGC).

I attempted LAN connection with IPv4 address (internal), which worked. But connecting IPv4 (external) did not, even with firewall down and exceptions in place.

Sulimo
June 25th, 2020, 05:54
Port forwarding is go for FGC, so ought to be go for FGU as well.

Just FYI, FGC uses TCP and FGU uses UDP, same port for both (1802). Most home routers require you to specify TCP or UDP when setting up the port forwarding.

So, if Port forwarding works for FGC but not FGU, check your router and make sure you have UDP specified as well for the rule (or create a separate rule for UDP if that is how your router is setup).

LordEntrails
June 25th, 2020, 05:54
Note, FGC uses TCP protocol on port 1802, FGU uses UDP protocols. So your port forwarding might need to be updated to include both protocols if you want to run LAN games with FGU.

Zwergenmauer
July 10th, 2020, 20:48
Sincerest thanks for your help here in troubleshooting. Unfortunately, I'm still not able to get the game to populate on the cloud server.

I have updated my router settings for use with UDP and TCP, same port 1802. Again, I am able to run FGC just fine, it's FGU that still doesn't populate my game on the server, despite the program telling me I am connected to the game server. The only difference I can see is that there is no IPv6 address, only an IPv4 address for my router/modem. In other words, if the default or go-to for FGU is looking for an IPv6 address to populate the games, then my games won't ever populate (as I am only able to use an IPv4 address). If that is *not* the case, I'll need some help working out the kinks so that my games can populate on the server. Any insights or other suggestions? I'm all ears!

Perhaps there is another step that needs to be taken, that I'm somehow missing?

Zacchaeus
July 10th, 2020, 21:08
Can you post your network logs.

Sulimo
July 10th, 2020, 22:08
Sincerest thanks for your help here in troubleshooting. Unfortunately, I'm still not able to get the game to populate on the cloud server.

I have updated my router settings for use with UDP and TCP, same port 1802. Again, I am able to run FGC just fine, it's FGU that still doesn't populate my game on the server, despite the program telling me I am connected to the game server. The only difference I can see is that there is no IPv6 address, only an IPv4 address for my router/modem. In other words, if the default or go-to for FGU is looking for an IPv6 address to populate the games, then my games won't ever populate (as I am only able to use an IPv4 address). If that is *not* the case, I'll need some help working out the kinks so that my games can populate on the server. Any insights or other suggestions? I'm all ears!

Perhaps there is another step that needs to be taken, that I'm somehow missing?

Just to be clear here, you are using the Cloud host for your game?

If so, port forwarding will make no difference. The Cloud host is not supposed to require that. The Cloud option is for people that can't do port forwarding.

If you want to use port forwarding for FGU, choose LAN game, not Cloud game.

NOTE: FGC does not have a Cloud Host to use, so for FGC, you pretty much have to be using port forwarding. Only FGU has the new Cloud option.

Hopefully this screen shot helps some:
https://i.imgur.com/Y0iLgAe.png

As Zacchaeus said, your network logs will help troubleshoot.

Zwergenmauer
July 11th, 2020, 05:22
Can you post your network logs.

I'd love to. How do I attach them? There's only a link capability here.

damned
July 11th, 2020, 05:49
Go Advanced