PDA

View Full Version : New Deadlands version?

Tubel
June 19th, 2020, 01:23
Hi FG Wildcards!

I noticed PEG have released v2 of the new SWADE version of Deadlands to us KS backers and I was wondering if anyone knew what the intent was for a FG version. I was hoping to start a new FG deadlands campaign in a couple of months for my regular group and i'd like to start straight into the new system if possible.

stay safe everyone.

Dave

Matchstickman
June 20th, 2020, 02:30
v2 is not a finished product, it's still a pre-release with many changes/corrections being made to it. I'm sure that the industrious bods here are getting some basic things working behind the scenes but until there's a final product actually released by PEG there would be no point in copying most of the actual text and stats over yet.

Lonewolf
June 20th, 2020, 08:19
Hi FG Wildcards!

I noticed PEG have released v2 of the new SWADE version of Deadlands to us KS backers and I was wondering if anyone knew what the intent was for a FG version. I was hoping to start a new FG deadlands campaign in a couple of months for my regular group and i'd like to start straight into the new system if possible.

stay safe everyone.

Dave

There will not be a FG product untill the Deadlands PDF gets a final release. When this happens it gets put on Drivethrough RPG as a finished PDF.

This is simply because it would be difficult to program a module that is also being updated too much. It is like hitting a moving target. It is less effort and much less stressful to wait a while and let things work themselves out first. Although I expect that the basic ground work has been layed out. Just wait for the PDF to drop first.

Doswelk
June 22nd, 2020, 20:12
There will not be a FG product untill the Deadlands PDF gets a final release. When this happens it gets put on Drivethrough RPG as a finished PDF.

This is simply because it would be difficult to program a module that is also being updated too much. It is like hitting a moving target. It is less effort and much less stressful to wait a while and let things work themselves out first. Although I expect that the basic ground work has been layed out. Just wait for the PDF to drop first.

Made that mistake with DLLC :s

Got it finished, they changed things...

Go that done, they changed again.

Got it to match the final printed release, they found more errors!

Craftzero
June 26th, 2020, 17:34
I get that it won't be updated until the book is in print, absolutely. I do have one question.

I'm running Deadlands - the new version, as best as I can. I've activated SWADE and the (now older) Deadlands: Reloaded modules. The character sheet is great in that we can ignore things like Grit (not used in the new version) - but there is one problem.

Bennies.

The Bennies system is using the old method of White/Red/Blue Fate Chips. Is there a method of using the new only white bennies with this ruleset?

Doswelk
June 26th, 2020, 17:44
There are no Fate chips any more.

Craftzero
June 26th, 2020, 17:51
There are no Fate chips any more. I know that - please take a look at my question again.... I *want* to use Bennies. But the character sheet uses Fate Chips.

Dr0W
June 27th, 2020, 05:22
I know that - please take a look at my question again.... I *want* to use Bennies. But the character sheet uses Fate Chips.

That's exactly the point. Don't activate the Deadlands ext.

Or you're going to have to make an extension to remove all the Fate Chips system out of it.

Doswelk
June 27th, 2020, 05:50
or ignore the colour of the fate they can all be used as white chips, by fg

CAPryde
July 1st, 2020, 04:56
Question from the Deadlands Kickstarter. The Kickstarter includes a VTT bundle. A lot of that stuff is already in FG, like templates, but will elements like tokens be added to the FG version of Deadlands? And will we need to repurchase Deadlands, or will we get it as an update if we already have the previous extension?

Edit: I guess that's two questions.

Dr0W
July 1st, 2020, 15:10
Question from the Deadlands Kickstarter. The Kickstarter includes a VTT bundle. A lot of that stuff is already in FG, like templates, but will elements like tokens be added to the FG version of Deadlands? And will we need to repurchase Deadlands, or will we get it as an update if we already have the previous extension?

Edit: I guess that's two questions.

As far as I know, the new Deadlands is an entirely new product. You will need to purchase the new one once it's out on fg. It's probable that the new tokens will be added to the new product too.

Doswelk
July 1st, 2020, 17:30
This will be the first time Ikael actually gets money for Deadlands, so buy it!

TWICE!
:D

Ikael
July 1st, 2020, 20:19
Yesterday me and Smiteworks went through brainstorming how the Deadlands: The Weird West will be in FG and came to conclusion that it will be new purchasable item. The development work for it have started today but there is no ETA for it yet.

wyndhydra
July 2nd, 2020, 00:07
Sounds good. Ikael do you know if PEG is formalizing a way to play the older stuff in this new release? Similarly, will any of it be updated to allow for this?

CAPryde
July 2nd, 2020, 04:59
Great! I look forward to getting the new extension when it drops. My group is going to start a new Deadlands campaign in the next week or so using the current SWADE module, but we will switch over to the extension when it becomes available.

Doswelk
July 2nd, 2020, 08:03
Sounds good. Ikael do you know if PEG is formalizing a way to play the older stuff in this new release? Similarly, will any of it be updated to allow for this?
DLWW will be an extension so all exisiting deadlands stuff should be readable, you can load deadlands modules in SW now (without DLR extension)

ChoTimberwolf
July 8th, 2020, 07:15
Looking forward to the new Deadlands rule I will buy it instantly ;)

HouseDressing
July 10th, 2020, 19:31
Looking forward to the new Deadlands rule I will buy it instantly ;)

Seconded. My finger is hovering over the "Buy" button in the FG Store.

Tubel
July 15th, 2020, 05:18
Thanks Ikael, appreciate you taking the time to answer my actual question :-)

tpkurilla
August 25th, 2020, 00:07
Yesterday me and Smiteworks went through brainstorming how the Deadlands: The Weird West will be in FG and came to conclusion that it will be new purchasable item. The development work for it have started today but there is no ETA for it yet.

Any word on progress for this? I've created my own module for the crunchy bits, but I still plan on buying the "official" version...been almost 8 weeks.

Doswelk
August 25th, 2020, 00:53
It will be done, when it's done, there are coding changes that will need to be done, not like Lost Colony which I could crank out without any coding required, we all have to be patient :|

mac40k
August 25th, 2020, 15:04
It should also be noted that the most recently released pdf is per the Kickstarter: "is not exactly the final file (and we do not recommend printing)" so I can understand if Ikael is waiting for the final file before submitting the module to Smiteworks to make available for sale.

tpkurilla
August 25th, 2020, 19:34
It should also be noted that the most recently released pdf is per the Kickstarter: "is not exactly the final file (and we do not recommend printing)" so I can understand if Ikael is waiting for the final file before submitting the module to Smiteworks to make available for sale.

The latest version I have no longer has that admonition.

mac40k
August 26th, 2020, 17:27
Again, the note is from the most recent Kickstarter update dealing with the core book, not the pdf itself. They have not yet made an update saying that the version that will be heading to the printer is ready for download.

tpkurilla
August 26th, 2020, 18:34
I understand what you're saying now.

The latest PDF finally removed the warning, but apparently the Kickstarter update hasn't declared it safe to print. (emphasis mine)

The product seems very near completion. At the very least it is stable. Since FG modules are being updated constantly, why are the possible minor tweaks that *might* happen of any concern?

Printing is forever, digital updates take moments.

The reasoning of "we shouldn't put anything out because something might change", would apply to every product from any company that actively maintains their product, and would thus lead to never releasing.

Since releasing a "perfect" dataset seems rare (I cannot recall *any*), waiting for this release to be "perfect" makes no sense to me.

Printing is forever, digital updates take moments.

But I understand that those working on it will "get to it when they get to it", and there isn't much I can do beside voice my opinion...which I now have.

I will purchase the product as soon as it is released. Until then, I will use my hand-entered dataset that took a Sunday afternoon for me to enter.

In the mean time, I will clearly have to create one for the Companion as well. No telling how long that FG module will take.

ChoTimberwolf
August 27th, 2020, 10:07
Last update was a complete rework of the agents if I remember correctly,so wasn't just some text changes but tables etc that would have changed with it. Maybe now he starts working on it but that will also take some time.

Mgrancey
August 28th, 2020, 21:16
Whelp, Guess I get to post the good news for those who didnt back the Deadlands Kickstart. Final files are ready for download and printing.

mac40k
August 29th, 2020, 15:19
Whelp, Guess I get to post the good news for those who didnt back the Deadlands Kickstart. Final files are ready for download and printing.

So what you're really saying is that Ikael has no more excuses for procrastinating. :p

Mgrancey
August 30th, 2020, 00:20
Not knowing what is in his project list, I can't say that.

Depends on what he is already working on first. Still going to take time to do all the work of entering data and programming extension