PDA

View Full Version : Mapmaking Humble Bundle

Nylanfs
June 17th, 2020, 19:41
ProFantasy bundle! MAPS Extravaganza

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/maps-extravaganza-software

mhossom
June 17th, 2020, 20:20
Thank you. I have been looking at CC3 for a while and could never afford it. Now, it's MINE...ALL MINE!!!!! Mwahahahaha!!

Agamon
June 17th, 2020, 20:26
I've got (and no longer use, as it's pretty clunky compared to more modern alternatives) CC3, but that $1.50 level looks worthy!

Valyar
June 17th, 2020, 20:38
Dungeon and City designers included! Awesome!

LordEntrails
June 17th, 2020, 22:27
$30 for the core 3? That's pretty awesome deal!

Surge
June 18th, 2020, 01:06
Sweet! I've been eyeing CC3 and the rest for many years. Have always been on the fence. At this price, it's a very easy decision.

OverCriticalHit
June 18th, 2020, 03:16
I've got (and no longer use, as it's pretty clunky compared to more modern alternatives) CC3, but that $1.50 level looks worthy!

It's certainly old-school, but once you've got over the learning curve it is super powerful, imo.

seycyrus
June 18th, 2020, 03:57
It's certainly old-school, but once you've got over the learning curve it is super powerful, imo.

It's the best of the best.

Valyar
June 18th, 2020, 04:52
CAD software > all

DK1138
June 18th, 2020, 08:53
Is the learning curve as vertical as I am led to believe? I have Wonderdraft and Dungeondraft but neither are really at the city level and I would love to get involved, despite not necessarily having the $51AUD at the moment.....

OverCriticalHit
June 18th, 2020, 09:06
Is the learning curve as vertical as I am led to believe? I have Wonderdraft and Dungeondraft but neither are really at the city level and I would love to get involved, despite not necessarily having the $51AUD at the moment.....

It certainly takes some effort, but there is a point where it clicks into place and you appreciate its raw power. It's a CAD program (works with vectors, but does have raster symbols, fills and effects) as opposed to a paint program (primarily raster), and what intuition and experience with other software might lead you to believe you should do won't necessarily be the right way. The documentation has to be worked through to understand it, but once you do you come to see why it is the way it is. And you will always find answers on the company forum either via searching or asking questions. If you're up for the challenge of learning it, I highly recommend it, especially at this bundle price.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2020, 12:32
There's some very good video tutorials that are a must to get understanding and the full power out of CC3.

The ones from Joe Sweeney (not too far away in Sydney) are excellent: https://www.youtube.com/user/joesweeney88

LordEntrails
June 18th, 2020, 13:46
If you purchase CC3+, DO THE TUTORIALS :)

As mentioned, CC has a work flow that is different than what most people have used before. Trying to learn on your own is not wise. The time spent do the tutorials will make creating your own first map much more enjoyable and much much faster.

And note, the Tome of Ultimate Mapping is a great resource. It's like a help book on steroids. A great resource for detailed references and advanced tutorials.

Agamon
June 18th, 2020, 15:33

For sure, I've been using it since the early 00's (when it was still CC2), and spent a long time getting proficient with it, not being familiar with autoCAD. But for me, newer apps like Wonderdraft do the job more easily.

Nylanfs
June 18th, 2020, 17:11
I'm glad I could help so many of you part with your money. :)

DK1138
June 20th, 2020, 04:20
Sorry for yet another question, is anyone running it on a Mac either through parallels or another method? I have a desktop windows PC but most of my free time is when I’m away with my MacBook and so just wondering if it’ll be too big a pain to attempt to run CC3 with my laptop

Valyar
June 20th, 2020, 08:03
Sorry for yet another question, is anyone running it on a Mac either through parallels or another method? I have a desktop windows PC but most of my free time is when I’m away with my MacBook and so just wondering if it’ll be too big a pain to attempt to run CC3 with my laptop
The performance will depend on the configuration of your laptop. If you don't have enough CPU and Memory to satisfy the Windows 10 (assuming you will use that as guest OS) requirements then the experience will be bad. CC3+ is 32bit application, so, 6-8 GB memory for the virtual machine will be sufficient (if you don't do anything else on it). CPU and HDD is another deal.

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2020, 17:41
I know there are people on the Profantasy forums who use it on a Mac. You might look there and see if you can get more feedback.

dmbrown
June 21st, 2020, 03:49
I’ve gotten it to run through wine on my Mac and it ran pretty well.

OverCriticalHit
June 21st, 2020, 05:33
I’ve gotten it to run through wine on my Mac and it ran pretty well.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of going all Mac, but running Windows with Bootcamp. If it runs under Wine, then I doubt I'd have any problems on a Windows installation.

DK1138
June 22nd, 2020, 03:03
I’ll give it a go in parallels, I only have 32 bit windows (at least I think, I couldn’t run 64 bit Dungeondraft) but it’s certainly worth a shot. Worst case scenario I’ll have my desktop for it!

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2020, 04:13
CC3+ is a 32bit application.

DK1138
June 22nd, 2020, 04:15
CC3+ is a 32bit application.
That’s what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation! Hopefully it’ll be clear sailing! (I continue to be impressed by how helpful the Fantasy Grounds community is!)