PDA

View Full Version : How do players organize their images/maps/notes?

temmet
June 17th, 2020, 19:37
How can I help my players organize the materials I give them? I have lots of assets for my players - images, quests, stories, npcs, encounters - and, like a good DM, I've organized all of them into groups and groups in their categories. In images/maps, for example, I have multiple different folders to organize the town, surrounding wilderness, and dungeons. On my end, all the images for our most recent dungeon are grouped under the appropriate heading. My players, however, have no groups - all the images are just listed. They still have the tags for the groups (Dungeon_01, Town_Map), but the players can't sort by that or find the group in the menu heading or make their own groups. How can I help them with this?

Pennguino
June 17th, 2020, 20:33
My kids are getting me into Discord. Real easy to set up a server. You can have different text channels for different plot lines and post stories, pics, resources. I think they were using some bot to play tavern music for ambiance. Or set up a dummy Google account with Google drive for all of your docs, notes and resources. Share them out with your table.

Zacchaeus
June 17th, 2020, 21:45
Hi temmet, welcome to FG.

Unfortunately players can't create groups and when you share things the group info doesn't get passed on.

One possibility is to export what you want the players to see into a player module and then they can open that on their end and everything will be organised as you have it on your side.

damned
June 18th, 2020, 01:14
Players can create a single master note entry and put some headings in there and then drag these resources into that entry.
Extra work but then they can organise as suits them.

temmet
June 18th, 2020, 05:03
Hello, thank you for welcoming me, I appreciate it. Building a player module is helpful, thank you very much, but I'm not sure I'm using it correctly.

Can players use groups in the menus? I created a player module two ways - first by dragging the specific files I wanted, then by clicking the "A" to include everything. Both modules had the files I selected, but when my players look for them in the images/maps group menu, they only see two groups - all or uncategorized. The imported images have my groups next to them, as clickable ways to sort: clicking the "Dungeon_01" label for the church map shows all the maps in Dungeon_01, but players don't have Dungeon_01 in the group drop down menu.

Zacchaeus
June 18th, 2020, 09:09
I suspect (though I haven't tested) that it is the dragging the specific files that is the issue.

If you export all (that is just everything - not just specific things) then the group info goes with it.

temmet
June 18th, 2020, 18:44
Thank you, again! I'll continue to fiddle with it to make sure it works. Right now, even having the clickable sort functionality is tremendously useful.