PDA

View Full Version : Community Mission: Custom Calendar Software

Drath3n
June 17th, 2020, 19:34
Ok, I have looked for some custom calendar mods,ext or software and not finding anything. I see people request this so I know its wanted.
I know there are ways to mess with existing calendars and tweak them. But I am not comfortable messing with that stuff. I know it is painfully easy for people who program or dabble in it but I just don't have the knack.
So here is my dream proposal for those who like to write software and modules for FG.
A program that can make a custom calendar extension from donjon's Fantasy Calendar Generator restore code.

mattekure
June 17th, 2020, 20:00
This actually seems doable. I’ll give it some thought.

Drath3n
June 18th, 2020, 01:14
Yeah! Was hoping you would see this :D

damned
June 18th, 2020, 01:17
Ok, I have looked for some custom calendar mods,ext or software and not finding anything. I see people request this so I know its wanted.
I know there are ways to mess with existing calendars and tweak them. But I am not comfortable messing with that stuff. I know it is painfully easy for people who program or dabble in it but I just don't have the knack.
So here is my dream proposal for those who like to write software and modules for FG.
A program that can make a custom calendar extension from donjon's Fantasy Calendar Generator restore code.

Hi Drath3n

Coding is alien to everyone at first and some people definitely are wired to understand it.
But I think that everyone can learn enough coding to write a FG calendar extension if they really wanted to.
Your brain might hurt during the exercise but the feeling when you succeed is worth it :)

mattekure
June 18th, 2020, 02:20
Yeah! Was hoping you would see this :D

No guarantees. But looking at the format of the Donjon data. I am fairly confident that I can use that to create a custom calendar module. It would not include any moon information or celestial events. I will probably translate the "notes" that Donjon lets you enter as "holidays" on the calendar.

Drath3n
June 18th, 2020, 03:10
Hi Drath3n

Coding is alien to everyone at first and some people definitely are wired to understand it.
But I think that everyone can learn enough coding to write a FG calendar extension if they really wanted to.
Your brain might hurt during the exercise but the feeling when you succeed is worth it :)

I get that, and I have done some minor coding stuff with FG and your right it is rewarding. But it is not enjoyable for me, I can sit at the computer for hours fiddling with images and messing around on Paintshop Pro working on all the graphics for my game and have a blast but I dont get that with coding :/

mattekure
June 18th, 2020, 19:09
I get that, and I have done some minor coding stuff with FG and your right it is rewarding. But it is not enjoyable for me, I can sit at the computer for hours fiddling with images and messing around on Paintshop Pro working on all the graphics for my game and have a blast but I dont get that with coding :/

ok. ready to beta test for me? Let me know if you run into any bugs

https://mattekure.com/donjon2fg/

mattekure
June 19th, 2020, 12:54
I put this into its own thread for wider audience and support. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59208-Custom-Calendar-Creator&p=519888#post519888