PDA

View Full Version : FGU Critical and Fumble tables help.

Dual23
June 17th, 2020, 14:46
Hi everyone,

Relatively new to FG or in this case FGU. I was in the process of adding custom critical hit and fumble tables to my game when it dawned on me that I have a lot of effects that are particular to a attack type, i.e. melee, ranged, spell. How can I make FGU recognize different types of critical effects to either A) pull from the respected table types or B) roll a certain dice range on 1 large table.

I'm willing to attempt to re-code some things if that is the only option.

For further explanation. A melee character fumbles, rolls a fumble effect that says his gun backfires, everyone stares blankly as it doesn't make sense. I realize I could make them all more generalized or spend more time on the spot to work things in, but I want to spend the time in advance to keep things flowing during our sessions and still have that random fun effect.

Zacchaeus
June 17th, 2020, 15:18
That would require an extension. Your first problem would be relating a critical or fumble to a damage type - something which can't be determined without some kind of internal code to figure that out. You could then use that to select a table to roll on.

You can, in theory, have one big table and then drop dice on the table for a result. For example you could have a table with 100 rows and the first 20 relate to melee and the second 20 relate to fire. If you drag a d20 onto the table it will roll 1-20 and if you wanted to roll for fire then you'd drop a d20 on it with a +20 modifier. However it's probably easier to have a discrete table for each damage type and just roll on that one as needed.

There are a couple of modules which add to the existing critical hits and fumbles which you can find here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27400-5e-Critical-Fumble-and-Random-Encounter-Charts&p=245048), here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23521-Looking-for-assistance-with-5e-projects&p=205107&viewfull=1#post205107) and here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28207-Here-s-my-new-d100-Critical-Hit-Fumble-tables) but I don't think they automate the process any more than the existing critical hit and fumbles tables do (in other words I don't think they differentiate damage types).

JGawain
June 17th, 2020, 15:19
Recoding an extension seems to be the only option as there is no input or call function on attack options. You can make the most elaborate table you want, you can even have tables roll other tables, but thus far I have not found a way to tie it to a function using just the UI. Which is kind of silly when you think about it.

I never much cared for fumbled lists. A botch is a punishment in of itself so adding an effect only adds salt to a wound. Flavor text is usually harmless but a gun backfiring is nothing like a car. It is effectively the same as having a grenade go off in your hand. That said they are very popular with novice DMs.

LordEntrails
June 17th, 2020, 16:03
That said they are very popular with novice DMs.
And with some DMs who have decades of experience and hundreds of campaigns in dozens of different rulesystems. Different personalities like different things :)

WinterSoldier7
January 6th, 2022, 19:25
And with some DMs who have decades of experience and hundreds of campaigns in dozens of different rulesystems. Different personalities like different things :)

Same here. Added them recently to add a bit of flavour and unexpectedness to combat. They don't occur often, but if I find it turns my players off I will tweak/ remove.

That's what I came here and revived this old thread for anyway - I was looking for a way to do the same thing.

Sulimo
January 6th, 2022, 19:40
Same here. Added them recently to add a bit of flavour and unexpectedness to combat. They don't occur often, but if I find it turns my players off I will tweak/ remove.

That's what I came here and revived this old thread for anyway - I was looking for a way to do the same thing.

Yep, Rolemaster (even the first version published back in 1982) had Criticals and Fumbles, they are an essential part of the system even to this day. Half the fun of Rolemaster is seeing what kind of Criticals come up in combat (or otherwise).

Most fumbles are harmless, but if it is spectacular enough, it can be entertaining (especially if it happens to an enemy).

https://i.imgur.com/63ZzvwU.png