PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Disabled by effect

DragonsDen13
June 16th, 2020, 06:02
Does there exist or is it even possible for a Condition to be temporarily disabled by an effect? Possibly through an existing extension.

Here is the scenario:

Character A has the Blinded Condition applied to their character; representing they are in darkness due to lack of a light source.

Player B has (using KentMccallough's aura extension) "AURA: 40 friend; Torch Light"; due to carrying a torch.

So that when Player A is within 40 feet of Player B the Blinded Condition would be disabled but the instant the range is greater the Blinded Condition would be re-enabled.

If this is possible then it would be fantastic but maybe it is not.

Figured it was worth asking those of you who understand this stuff better than I do.

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2020, 09:48
No. There isn't any kind of effect which you can use to switch a condition on or off. You'd need to do that in the Combat Tracker by temporarily switching off the effect there.

ScriedRaven
June 16th, 2020, 12:57
You might just leave the blinded condition on, and then have the aura effect be
AURA: 40 friend; Torch; IF: CUSTOM(No Darkvision); GRANTDISATK; ADVATK;, and for the characters without darkvision give them the effect
No DarkvisionFrom my brief testing it seems to work

DragonsDen13
June 16th, 2020, 15:28
Thanks Zacchaeus.

@ScriedRaven - That will work except that it gives the ADVATK & DISATK, which means that if the target got ADVATK from something else, say flanking, then it would not actually get advantage since FG will not allow a +/- of an effect to stack (2xADVATK+1xDISATK does not equal 1xADVATK).

I even tried having it apply "IMMUNE: blinded" but that does not appear to work either.

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2020, 17:12
@ScriedRaven - That will work except that it gives the ADVATK & DISATK, which means that if the target got ADVATK from something else, say flanking, then it would not actually get advantage since FG will not allow a +/- of an effect to stack (2xADVATK+1xDISATK does not equal 1xADVATK).
That's because that is the RAW on advantage and disadvantage. Rules say that one instance of one adv/dis offsets an infinite number of the other. So, 2xADVATK+1xDISATK= nothing.

DragonsDen13
June 16th, 2020, 19:11
Thanks @LordEntrails. Poor choice of words on my part. I knew it was RAW but was making FG the fallguy.

ScriedRaven
June 16th, 2020, 19:21
You might check out Kents Blindsight extension, and see how it deals with conditional modifiers and blindness. I haven't used it myself, and am a bit busy to check at the moment, but it may be able to do something

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2020, 19:31
Thanks @LordEntrails. Poor choice of words on my part. I knew it was RAW but was making FG the fallguy.
Ah, no problem. Thought you thought the book said otherwise. If you want it to cancel out, that's up to you (and no big deal). Kent's extension is a good suggestion. Not sure how to get there except manually or with an extension.

Have fun :)

DragonsDen13
June 16th, 2020, 20:31
Yeah. The only way I can see to do it (and when it comes to this stuff I am as blind as a bat) would be with an extension that removed the limiter of ADV vs DIS so you could have 2 ADV's and 1 DIS equaling 1 ADV. Or an extension that would temporarily disable a condition (like Blinded). But both of these are beyond my ability to understand when looking at files in Notepad++.

ScriedRaven
June 16th, 2020, 23:44
Good-ish news. Blindsight and Truesight extension does work with auras how you'd want, but in its current state it doesn't affect the blinded condition. Luckily I was able to make my own update where it does. I've sent a message to Kent to see if he'd want to update it.