PDA

View Full Version : How do you Track Renown?

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2020, 22:50
So I really want to be better as a DM in tracking reknown that the characters and/or party gain. But I'm really bad at it. Having to go to each individual character's sheet just doesn't work for me. Having a story entry that I share with the players doesn't work much better for me either.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for how I can be better about tracking reknown? I feel it's important because it would let me keep the campaign world alive in a much more personal way for the players.

edit: Thanks in advace, and the idea that works best for me gets a free browser cookie!

Fear Grounds
June 16th, 2020, 00:24
My current D&D 5E campaign is a nautically inspired adventure.

Ignoring the Lord's Alliance, along the sword coast, each major city has a flag standard. So I lined them all up on a graphic, along the left side. As the characters complete various quests, they gain renown in the different cities. So I place a token on the graphic to track their deeds. I use a different token to represent when the party does something to irritate a particular city. This way I can easily see how the locals would react to the arrival of the party in each area.

Three of Swords
June 16th, 2020, 00:36
Few ideas off the top of my head:

Use the Special move or Senses field to track it. Can see it on the Party Sheet that way. Still have to go to individual Char sheets to update, but checking values is easily done on a party level.
Are you using all the coin slots on the character sheets? You could use one of them as Reknown. Would also show up in the Party Sheet (albeit in a weird spot).
Do you use the number field of the Watch Order section of the Order tab? This would work as well, keeping it local to one spot. Can even update the field right from that window.

That's all I've got atm. Good luck!

Three of Swords
June 16th, 2020, 00:45
After reading Fear Grounds' idea, here are two more ideas:

Once again using the Party sheet, you could place PC tokens somewhere in the Marching & Formation window (token from tokens page, not character sheet). Then type the PCs reknown into chat and drag it to the token. Update value by dragging chat value as needed.
Do the same thing as above in a normal image window.

GavinRuneblade
June 16th, 2020, 05:35
I recommend using the Player Agency extension, specifically worldbuilding. Create a faction entry for any group that the party might gain renown with, then in the "history" section include the PCs history of actions and effects on renown including the current total.

For myself, I wing it. I'm terrible about underpreparing because I'm so good at adlib that I end up ignoring whatever was prepared. But if I did prepare, this is how I'd do it.

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2020, 09:53
Indeed, the Player Agency extension is absolutely ideal for this kind of stuff.

If you want an at a glance value then you'll need to use the coin or treasure section of the character sheet as suggested above so that you can view it in the party sheet.

Rades
June 16th, 2020, 19:45
For group (not individual) reputation, I'm running a pirate campaign so what I've done is make an NPC card for the party's ship and have it on the combat tracker, then add 3 effects to the ship (visible to players) for Infamy, Morale, and Plunder. The nice part about this (besides having the ship combat-ready in case it gets damaged or they get in a ship fight) is the players can always view their 3 crew stats by just going to the tracker, which they always have open anyway, instead of opening a story page or etc.