PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for extension creation distribution

SilentRuin
June 15th, 2020, 17:23
I think its important to note that my entire conversation is based upon Fantasy Grounds Unity with 5e/CoreRPG only. When talking extensions this seems very important to note up front IMHO.

Background history first:

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds (only Unity for me) and started with the Unlimited license, DMG, PHB, and MM. I wanted to start with a canned module so chose Curse of Strahd to run a weekly session with some friends - which they got to do for free because I have the unlimited license. During the setup - I replaced some of the maps with more relevant battle maps and made sure I added LOS to all maps, added/replaced image links in story for more flavor, rewrote the story links on maps to be more easily managed (my LOS maps, chat box things for everything relevant, extra story chat link details for the next session based on previous sessions,etc.). I generally find Fantasy Grounds Unity very fun for my group and have found workarounds I can do for any bugs I encounter. Now, I've read lots of negative feedback in the forums about unity version - but I never used Classic - so don't know what I'm missing - only what I have. And I avoid all the "slow" issues by having all my links ready to go for my sessions (no lookups).

During our sessions I noticed two things I really wanted - one was an extension I found posted in public forums here, Death Indicator Ext (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49997-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death-(Extended-Version)). This actually seemed to be modified by several different people although it's unclear from the extension code comments (few to none). It also seems to be no longer supported - which is fine - as I'm customizing it to my own needs. I've modified about 30% of it for my sessions (taking out some things not in FGU) and continue to have some more things I am in progress of adding (if possible).

The second thing I really wanted for our sessions was some missing combat actions that everyone basically needs in 5e. I wrote this extension entirely by myself based on notepad++ searches of 5e.pak and CoreRPG.pak files as examples. It took a lot of work as it was my first time coding in LUA and FGU. Granted, I have decades of experience in other languages so not that big a deal, but with no comments or real detailed guide or code comments made it a pain. Plus, it made me really miss languages with compiler/linkers to debug instead of print statements. However, after a lot of work (a lot) I did get the first iterations ready for our next session. I have some more things I want in it and have heavily detailed my comments throughout my LUA/XML code.

My quest for advice:

Fantasy Grounds Unity is still in BETA, making any extension subject to immediate and summary breakage, but these extensions work for me and are not heavily dependent on parts that are likely to change. And while I have another week or two of work to do on them they will eventually be "complete". I have an idea of what I want to do with this work but am not sure how to approach it.

My modification to the existing COS modules I feel cannot be shared and are purely for my use and my group as I mishmash things I've gotten in these forums and general internet with a paid for module. Not my property or right to distribute IMHO - for sure its probably only relevant to my sessions also. Even if this is not the case, I'll probably stick with this plan.

My modification to the previous extension work of others in the Death Indicator Ext (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49997-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death-(Extended-Version)) set of group modification, of which mine is the 3rd or 4th (not entirely sure), seems to be something to share out to the community when I'm done. But I'm unclear if this is something I can/should do since it involves others work, even though I put a ton of work into it. I would do this much as the above link did - referencing the previous link that he did - and note my modifications and how it was done/used purely in 5e Fantasy Grounds Unity. Is this ok to do? Ethical?

My completely new extension was written from scratch purely based on things I learned trial and error looking at 5e.pak/coreRPG.pak, examples in the forum, and some very helpful tips from users here in the forums. What I want to do, but don't know how to do, is to put this out there where it is available to get but also to have some sort of pay only what you want plan. What I mean, is that I want it to be free to those who want it for nothing. That it would be available for Smiteworks to incorporate into their code if they wanted. But, I also want to get a few breakfast meals at McDonalds or Milo's tea from Krogers out of all this work. It seems contradictory on all I want to do here but that's pretty much it. I've looked at licensing - don't have a clue what, if any I should pick. I've looked at Dungeon Masters Guild - and they have a pay what you want - but I'm unsure if that really gives people access to it to try before they decide they want to give something. As I don't want anything from anyone who can't afford it or did not like it. I have seen people tell others to send to their paypal for what they feel it's worth, but I'm not comfortable with the fees involved in such small transactions (I'm thinking 0-$2 max). Yeah, I'm dead honest on taxes and transactions so that is not a friends and family transaction and subject to fees. Dungeon Masters Guild site seems to hold things for 30 days with paypal and let you pull out money in bulk (one transaction) after taking 1/2 for any accumulated payments, which I like and am fine with. But there's that worry that people can't try it first before they actually give anything. I've also looked at Patreon, and have no wish to become a talking head on hire to create stuff so not really interested in that. I'm just interested in doing a few things as I need them and put them out there for people to take or give small amount of money for. And there is also that whole FGU is beta, subject to change and breakage. While I'm willing to keep the extension up to date (have to for my own sessions), I'm not clear on how you would pass that update onto people who have done a pay what you want - however that works.

So gist is, looking for ideas how to achieve my goals here. If there is even any way to achieve them, maybe there is not. Let me know.

superteddy57
June 15th, 2020, 18:38
The modifications for the purchased Curse of Strahd modules should not be shared if it contains materials from the module. As for the Death Indicator Ext, I would still try and get permission from the original poster and the other contributors to share out your modified version. This is still someone else's work and best practice to ask. Many developers on the forums use the DM Guild to distribute their works and might chime in with more information on best practices for that.

In either case, keep up the good work and keep tinkering and making things. It's my favorite side the hobby.

SilentRuin
June 15th, 2020, 21:03
The modifications for the purchased Curse of Strahd modules should not be shared if it contains materials from the module. As for the Death Indicator Ext, I would still try and get permission from the original poster and the other contributors to share out your modified version. This is still someone else's work and best practice to ask. Many developers on the forums use the DM Guild to distribute their works and might chime in with more information on best practices for that.

In either case, keep up the good work and keep tinkering and making things. It's my favorite side the hobby.

I've just now sent a PM to the modification author, and the original author he modified it from. If both are good with this, then if I ever get satisfied with my groups version in our sessions - I'll post the Death Indicator ex out in public forums like the last guy did referencing the previous posts. If they never get back to me - probably will not. Err on the side of ethics :)

[Both authors gave permission so I will be doing this in a week or two once I get everything I want into it.]

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2020, 04:09
First, for my take on community content licensing, see the link in my signature. And, as stated there, IANAL.

Depending upon what your modifications to the CoS module is and how you have packaged them in a FG module, you might be able to distribute it via the DMsGuild. Here's what I would say based upon what is included in the DMsG FAQ and license (as I understand them); If your module you distribute is primarily new content, you can distribute it even if you include WotC content (with the exception of artwork). From a practical point of view, I would suggest you make your module dependent upon the CoS module and state it clearly.

Here's how (this assumes you are starting this originally with this intent, but I know that's not your case), create a development campaign, load the CoS modules and any others you need into that campaign. Create your stories. Copy those from COS that you have to, but not all of them and hopefully not too many of them. Create our stories. Link to maps in CoS (don't copy them). If you modify an NPC in CoS, them copy it and if you don't modify it, then link to it. If it's from another source (PHB, MM, Volo's, etc) then copy it to your module (this is explicitly allowed per the DMsG license and FAQ). Same with Items, classes, spells, etc. The big rule here is simple; create more than you copy, and don't use this to try and create some sort of encyclopedia of other people's content. Any artwork you include, make sure you have license to distribute.

You can then distribute this module via the DMsG, for free or paid.

The previous extension... harder and their really is not an easy answer. Legally it would probably be a very hard case to argue either way. Morally and I think how the community here would look at it is that as long as you seek permission where you can and you do not commercialize it, you'll be fine. It's part of the reason I wrote that post I linked, and I hope you and other community developers take a few minutes to read it and actually put license statements on their work.

For your new extension work. I would suggest you put it on the DMsG, and then list it as PWYW (and please include a license statement with it!) As long as you clearly mark it for use with FGU and that at times it is possible that changes to FGU may cause your extension not to work and then clearly state your intention on maintenance and fixing such issues, then you will be fine.

SilentRuin
June 16th, 2020, 05:51
First, for my take on community content licensing, see the link in my signature. And, as stated there, IANAL.

Depending upon what your modifications to the CoS module is and how you have packaged them in a FG module, you might be able to distribute it via the DMsGuild. Here's what I would say based upon what is included in the DMsG FAQ and license (as I understand them); If your module you distribute is primarily new content, you can distribute it even if you include WotC content (with the exception of artwork). From a practical point of view, I would suggest you make your module dependent upon the CoS module and state it clearly.

Here's how (this assumes you are starting this originally with this intent, but I know that's not your case), create a development campaign, load the CoS modules and any others you need into that campaign. Create your stories. Copy those from COS that you have to, but not all of them and hopefully not too many of them. Create our stories. Link to maps in CoS (don't copy them). If you modify an NPC in CoS, them copy it and if you don't modify it, then link to it. If it's from another source (PHB, MM, Volo's, etc) then copy it to your module (this is explicitly allowed per the DMsG license and FAQ). Same with Items, classes, spells, etc. The big rule here is simple; create more than you copy, and don't use this to try and create some sort of encyclopedia of other people's content. Any artwork you include, make sure you have license to distribute.

You can then distribute this module via the DMsG, for free or paid.

As you say, that's not what I've done. But I appreciate the lesson on what can be done.

The previous extension... harder and their really is not an easy answer. Legally it would probably be a very hard case to argue either way. Morally and I think how the community here would look at it is that as long as you seek permission where you can and you do not commercialize it, you'll be fine. It's part of the reason I wrote that post I linked, and I hope you and other community developers take a few minutes to read it and actually put license statements on their work.

Both authors have already PM'ed me with their permission and when I'm ready I'll put it out as they did - free in the forums to use at your own risk.

For your new extension work. I would suggest you put it on the DMsG, and then list it as PWYW (and please include a license statement with it!) As long as you clearly mark it for use with FGU and that at times it is possible that changes to FGU may cause your extension not to work and then clearly state your intention on maintenance and fixing such issues, then you will be fine.

Will absolutely read your license link and pick one and give it a shot when I've play tested it in a live session or two (only tested in one and it found a bug - nothing like testing live to find stuff that goes wrong). Sounds like giving DMsG is the way to go for what I want to do then.

Thanks much.

[Seems like the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/) is most relevant for what I was looking for.]