PDA

View Full Version : Pdf vs vtt versions of dmsguild

OGvarus
June 15th, 2020, 04:29
So Im looking to pick up some encounter modules for wilderness as well as a baldur's gate specific one on the dmsguild. Just using them to spice up current campaign with small encounters and such. Anyway, the ones I'm looking have both pdf and FG versions. From those who have purchased similar type content: did you find it more helpful to have the pdf version to read on different devices or better to have the FG version so you don't have to add in the stuff on your own (but limited access since you need to be on FG to read it)?

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2020, 04:44
No I do not find the PDF more useful, but personalty I have no problem reading a decently put together FG module (Reference Manual or not). I would rather have the FG module so I have the maps, encounters, parcels and everything else ready to go in FG

TXCBoy36
June 15th, 2020, 05:11
So Im looking to pick up some encounter modules for wilderness as well as a baldur's gate specific one on the dmsguild. Just using them to spice up current campaign with small encounters and such. Anyway, the ones I'm looking have both pdf and FG versions. From those who have purchased similar type content: did you find it more helpful to have the pdf version to read on different devices or better to have the FG version so you don't have to add in the stuff on your own (but limited access since you need to be on FG to read it)?

Personally, I prefer to have the FG version when viewing how they set these up to be used with this platform. I am currently acquiring .pdf versions so I can set them up to be used on FG. FG platform allows for easy review of the module when viewing the story page window which allows me easy access to the different sections within the particular module. So far, the campaign that I am running, I got a great response from everyone participating in the adventure, whether it involves map sharing, the automated effects in the combat round, everyone is really enjoying the automation.

We had tried roll20 and it was not the same when compared to FG, so I am sold on this platform. Hope this helps!

mattekure
June 15th, 2020, 12:03
Personally I like having both, but prefer the FG module first. I like the PDF for reading outside of when I have FG open, but most of the time I am using it within FG to prepare. I also like having the PDF available if I find an error in the module, its nice to be able to refer to the original (although, most often I find that the error in the module is because that same error exists in the PDF).

GavinRuneblade
June 16th, 2020, 17:31
I like having both. Very few FG modules have the image imbedded in the story, they're just links you have to click to open in a separate window. I find it more comfortable to read when the images and text flow properly like they do in a book or PDF. Especially tables and text formatting can be more complicated and attractive and intelligible in a document than in FG which only has one font and only bold/italic/underline for formatting options compared to what can be done in a PDF or book.

That said, I have a lot of products which are only modules and those are fine, and I have a lot of super crappy PDFs where the module is better. In an ideal world, I do like having both.

Fear Grounds
June 16th, 2020, 19:16
I try to find products that include both the PDF and the Mod file. In the case that I have to choose one or the other, I generally default to the Mod file for FG. FG modules are generally very easy to navigate, and it's rather fast to find the information/encounter you're looking for. To me, the mod files are generally easier to use "in a pinch". But I also have multiple libraries full of PDF's waiting for me to input into FG. PDF's are not difficult to add into FG, but each one requires a good bit of time.

I'm not a big fan of reading PDF's, and generally only use them for quick reference. If I am trying to read through a published adventure, it will almost always be a physical copy that I am reading.