PDA

View Full Version : Portraits

Varsuuk
June 14th, 2020, 23:03
I put in a bunch of jpg 100x100 portraits in a module containing pregens. The tokens directory worked fine with db.xml pointing to the tokens there.

I know I cannot preset the portrait but how do I make it available to folks? I read about making a portrait pack, ppl, but I would like it to be in the module itself if there is a proper way to do that. If not, then I will do with ppk.

What sort of extensions can support a "portrait" directory that is automagically seen when you click in the portrait area? ppk, ext, ruleset .dat, mod?

Zacchaeus
June 15th, 2020, 10:06
Portraits are always in a .ppk file and they are separate from modules. You can't include portraits in a module.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2020, 10:10
And, in case you didn’t know, portraits are only accessible locally, separate images or .ppk files. You can’t share them or make them available to the players without them physically installing the files on their local computer.

Varsuuk
June 15th, 2020, 15:56
Awesome, didn’t know. I knew of ppk, assumed (hmmm we know what THAT means) if we’re presenting a Ruleset it could have a portraits directory - but be that as it may, I now know and will package it up separately, thanks :)

damned
June 16th, 2020, 00:19
I think its short for Portrait PacK

Trenloe
June 16th, 2020, 00:37
... if we’re presenting a Ruleset it could have a portraits directory...
If that was the case then portraits would only be usable within a a camapign using that ruleset. Portraits are ruleset agnostic, hence they’re not included in a ruleset.

Varsuuk
June 16th, 2020, 06:07
Makes total sense, never gave it thought as I am less than "arty" - about to redo them yet again.

So, is there an accepted best thing? jpg or png for portraits? I created png for the tokens, think I've seen both in open so, should I just stick to creating 100x100 PNG Portraits as well?

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2020, 17:02
PNG usually, since they allow transparency. But as you noted I think jpg works for square tokens (not for round since they require transparent corners).

edit: For TOKENS. Not portraits :)

Trenloe
June 16th, 2020, 17:08
Because FG masks the portrait file, the end result is that any transparency isn't preserved. Keep that in mind if you want to avoid black, or other colours, being substituted for the transparency.

Tokens do respect transparency.

Varsuuk
June 16th, 2020, 19:44
I’m sorry Trekkie, I am really that ignorant of graphic stuff. “Masks the portrait file” - is “masking a Jpg” a search I can use to learn what this means/does?

I’m curious because an extension I was using seems to have misplaced its portrait mask and I wanted to see how I could tell if my “fix” worked ;) so this dovetails nicely maybe.

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2020, 19:54
I believe what Trenloe is referring to is that the portrait is given a frame by FG. Take a look at the image you add, and then the resulting portrait itself. See the frame? Also, try adding a very non-square image as the portrait. See how it fills that space with a solid background?

So if you used a png file with transparency for a portrait, FG would put a solid background and frame around it anyway.

Tokens don't get that behavior in FG (unless they are created by FG from the portrait).

Varsuuk
June 16th, 2020, 22:19
When I am off work I will look at adding a the same portrait under vanilla SWD to see how the result looks can adding same one using WotD ext because vanilla of that reports not finding a portrait mask. I tried to create an ext to kid same time which DOES include that mask from corerpg but it still prints warning. It was mentioned that it is possible the warning prints but it is now available. Will check and see later today.

At least my redone Pregens blow away the ones supplied in both accuracy to the source material / pdf (right attributes/skills/gear) and in appearance ;) and linking of prior non linked stuff (even added Guts skill to the module for linking)