PDA

View Full Version : Graphic resource recommendations

Varsuuk
June 14th, 2020, 20:55
I was creating tokens (I don't do this sort of thing, I just play FG normally) as part of fixing an existing module by creating an add-on for it.

I looked up and found token tool (feel free to suggest in thread other good creation tools, I heard of this one and googled for it - no idea if best tool to use) and it created tokens at 256 by default. Then googled and found the following after making a pair of character tokens/portraits:

Maps, Dimensions 2048×2048, jpeg, 1-2 megabytes max for file sizes, 50-60 pixels per inch (square) for maps. Most battle maps are around 1200×1200 up to 1800×1800 pixels.

Tokens, PNG format, 100×100, 200×200,300×300 pixels depending on creature size.

Shareable NPC/Handouts/Photos, 1000W x 700H pixels max, jpeg file format

Portraits, should be around 100×100 pixels dimension-wise, jpeg or png file format. Try NOT to use huge photos for a display smaller area…
“Less is more “

Is the above the rule of thumb used by converters/module makers and/or Smiteworks?

And did I understand if using 100,200, & 300 pixes that small creature tokens should be made with 100px tokens, medium, 200px etc?

I had a memory of 100 but then I had trouble when shrinking the picture in tokentool to fit in the 100px circle - the closeup pic looked very low quality. So I went to 256 (medium, humans) and it looked better. I can try and go to 200, but is it required or just suggested "if looks good"

I didn't want to do 15 tokens and find I did it wrong ;)

Thanks folks.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2020, 21:43
That's the general recommendations.

For tokens:
Medium or less = 100x100
Large = 200x200
Larger than large = 300x300

Varsuuk
June 14th, 2020, 22:11
Thanks, I was afraid of that - I guess I need better beginning art than what I extracted with Acrobat from the PDF in png.

Well, since I am using mainly for myself, I will keep it at 256. If SW wants the fixes, I can make 100px ones or they can do their own if they (should be) better at it.

Going send the corrected pregens and a new module in addition to them later tonight after dinner.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2020, 22:50
Thanks, I was afraid of that - I guess I need better beginning art than what I extracted with Acrobat from the PDF in png.

Well, since I am using mainly for myself, I will keep it at 256. If SW wants the fixes, I can make 100px ones or they can do their own if they (should be) better at it.
I don't understand this. You're saying that you need better art for a lower resolution token than 256x256? I'm confused.

Varsuuk
June 14th, 2020, 23:00
Sorry, I meant that I opened TokenTool. Loaded a png extracted from the WotD Survivors PDF. Let's use JohnKendrick as an example. Once extracted via Acrobat, it is a 833x980 png. I then loaded this into Token Tool.

The token frame (default sized 256) covers like his jaw and eyes ;) So I used the scroll wheel that shrunk the pic until the left/right side of the token frame touched right/left of the png. Then I shifted the PNG until it fit int he circle in a way I found pleasing. The upper right hand blowup showed it "ok"

Did same with it but using a 100px sized token border. When shrunk to fit the left-right width and then centered, the face/image was fuzzy and somewhat jagged.

I know little about graphics, assuming whatever encoding goes into play to make the png image fit in the circle, loses too much content on the way. OR!!! I am approaching this in the wrong way and should "shrink" it using some other tool first, dunno. I erased the 100px one, I can either find it in trash or do it again and post witht he 256 one if you need to see that but expect you get what I mean from how I described making them.

damned
June 15th, 2020, 01:14
Resize the images to the correct size in your choice of editor before loading into token tool.
That way you have (some) control over the quality settings in the resize.
You are also going to have better results scaling down by 50% or 25% or 22.5% rather than random numbers like 36.7%

Varsuuk
June 15th, 2020, 01:26
Cool - will try that.

I actually didn't know how it worked at all when loaded it then saw it resize for em.
I'm guessing will need to resize to about 12% if was fitting whole thing, so guessing reduce to 20-25% of original size may work out. Will try it in a bit, thanks for the suggestion.