PDA

View Full Version : The Countdown

kimba
April 22nd, 2007, 19:29
I see a huge drop in the number of posts today. I wonder how many have the counter running and are poised to be the first to download this.
who is watching the clock, hoping that it ends early, or is simply wathing the seconds slip by. I know I have a second screen open with the counter running. who else? This is almost like watching a Woot-off waiting for the next woot to come up after a Toaster!

Stuart
April 22nd, 2007, 19:45
This is almost like watching a Woot-off waiting for the next woot to come up after a Toaster!

OK - blame it on my age or being the wrong side of the Atlantic ... what the heck does that mean ! :o

I'm afraid I'll be at work when FGII is available ... enjoy Kimba, you'll beat me to it.:(

Paxar
April 22nd, 2007, 20:55
OK - blame it on my age or being the wrong side of the Atlantic ... what the heck does that mean ! :o

I am both young and American, and I didn't get it either. Looks like one too many metaphors fighting for dominance.

Dachannien
April 22nd, 2007, 20:59
I have my doubts that the website will make the download available right when that timer expires. More likely, the devs will manually update the site sometime tomorrow to make it available.

Illrigger
April 22nd, 2007, 21:13
I have my doubts that the website will make the download available right when that timer expires. More likely, the devs will manually update the site sometime tomorrow to make it available.
The timer automatically turns into a link to the DL site when it expires, so it WILL be available when it runs down.

kimba
April 22nd, 2007, 21:24
I am both young and American, and I didn't get it either. Looks like one too many metaphors fighting for dominance.

You guys don't know about www.Woot.com? the item per day website.
it was all the same metaphor.
a woot off is where they put multiple items on one after the other. No one wants a toaster so when they go up it takes a long time for the next item or "woot" to go up.

No I dont have any affiliation with them whatso ever.:o

Stuart
April 22nd, 2007, 22:01
Thanks Kimba ... in my day, Sale of The Century was as clever as it got :-(

Dachannien
April 23rd, 2007, 01:12
The timer automatically turns into a link to the DL site when it expires, so it WILL be available when it runs down.

It's just a link to the current downloads page, which has links right now for downloading the 1.05f patch. If they don't update the downloads page, that's all the Flash widget will point to when the timer expires.

longarms
April 23rd, 2007, 02:00
Wow, that would be really anticlimatic if, at the point the timer expired, the box linked to a webpage that has been around for ages.

Its like, "webpage that has always been available will continue to be available in 3... 2... 1....!!!"

Mellock
April 23rd, 2007, 03:52
It's just a link to the current downloads page, which has links right now for downloading the 1.05f patch. If they don't update the downloads page, that's all the Flash widget will point to when the timer expires.

Perhaps there's a script that will rename the old and new page when the timer expires. And I'm just teasing now, but that would mean that the new page, and the new download, are already on the server. Just sitting there. Unseen. Juuuuust out of your reach. You could get it. If you only knew the name of the file. Teeheeheehee.

longarms
April 23rd, 2007, 03:59
"Perhaps there's a script that will rename the old and new page when the timer expires. And I'm just teasing now, but that would mean that the new page, and the new download, are already on the server. Just sitting there. Unseen. Juuuuust out of your reach. You could get it. If you only knew the name of the file."

I already spent some time guessing orphan URLs. Alas, I didn't find it...

Mellock
April 23rd, 2007, 04:22
I already spent some time guessing orphan URLs. Alas, I didn't find it...

Haha, how magnificently evil of you :) I just noticed, by the way, that in order to torment you (not me, they like me), the counter has started to flash a bit :)

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 06:50
Midnight PST?

Dachannien
April 23rd, 2007, 06:56
They've altered the download page a bit, removing the lengthy patch notes for 1.05f and noting that they plan to provide a demo of FG2 in the near future. :)

Dachannien
April 23rd, 2007, 06:58
Oh, that makes me wonder: In the past, the download for the full version of FG was made available through the Store or via e-mail. If we assume that the same will be true for FG2, where should we look for the download link? Will it be placed on the downloads page, or will we get an e-mail about it, or will our Store order history links be updated automatically?

Jozan
April 23rd, 2007, 07:10
2:08 am Est. here Countdown should be done by 3:00am est.:D

tdwyer11b
April 23rd, 2007, 07:14
Another interesting bit, the Beta shows an update available, so I'm assuming it's on the server somewhere.

Looking at how many ppl are on the boards right now, I have a feeling the servers gonna feel the burn, hehe.:D

Illrigger
April 23rd, 2007, 07:14
Oh, that makes me wonder: In the past, the download for the full version of FG was made available through the Store or via e-mail. If we assume that the same will be true for FG2, where should we look for the download link? Will it be placed on the downloads page, or will we get an e-mail about it, or will our Store order history links be updated automatically?
If I understand correctly, FG2 doesn't have separate downloads for trial, full and standard versions; when you put in a key, the updater application goes to the server and pulls down the files needed for the version the key is for. So there shouldn't be any need to "hide" the downloads anymore; if you have a key, it works, if not, you get the trial version - that simple.

Jozan
April 23rd, 2007, 07:17
Another interesting bit, the Beta shows an update available, so I'm assuming it's on the server somewhere.

Looking at how many ppl are on the boards right now, I have a feeling the servers gonna feel the burn, hehe.:D

Yea all of us waiting up until the wee hours of the morning are probably crazy, we'll be downloading at 2kbps or something:o lol

tdwyer11b
April 23rd, 2007, 07:20
Well, if anyones up for it, after I d/l my copy I'll set up a host if anyone wants to play around with it.

drkknight32
April 23rd, 2007, 07:24
Only about half an hour left!

Tailz Silver Paws
April 23rd, 2007, 07:35
Well, if anyones up for it, after I d/l my copy I'll set up a host if anyone wants to play around with it.
Sure thing, looks like the timer count down has an hour or so to go..... I think....

Jozan
April 23rd, 2007, 07:51
About 10 minutes now I believe...:)

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 07:55
Six minutes.

Mellock
April 23rd, 2007, 07:56
Three minutes :)

longarms
April 23rd, 2007, 07:59
Wait for ittttt, waaaaiitt for it...

Tailz Silver Paws
April 23rd, 2007, 08:02
Hahahaaaa!! its not there!! Hahahaaaa!!

(falls off chair with the giggles)

*thud*

Tee-hee... tee-hee....

(climbs back onto chair and reloads the page)

Its there now! Hahahahaaa!!!!

Damnit! now I have to wait till I get home as my work computer is an Apple!

Mellock
April 23rd, 2007, 08:03
BWahahahaha

It just took a minute: :)

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:04
Got it baby!!

Dachannien
April 23rd, 2007, 08:04
Thanks to the dev team for all their hard work over the past year and some odd months :) Now let the tech support posts begin! :)

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:10
Is it me or is this not working for anyone after installing?

drkknight32
April 23rd, 2007, 08:12
It's not working for me either. :-\ It says it can't find fantasygrounds.exe and it won't run anything besides the actual updater thing which didn't seem to update nething

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:13
Uh oh... this may open a HUGE can..hehe.. back to waiting.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:13
Ditto for me. It's just hanging at the installer.

tdwyer11b
April 23rd, 2007, 08:15
I'm up and running vast echo rich dice.

drkknight32
April 23rd, 2007, 08:15
So close!...yet so far

kimba
April 23rd, 2007, 08:16
Ditto for me. It's just hanging at the installer.

nope not working

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:16
I'm up and running vast echo rich dice.

No chance of hosting your downloaded files, eh?

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:17
No one got it working?? :(

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:17
Only thing I'm going to try is installing a clean copy of Full and then upgrading to 1.5 and then... gulp... I hope..

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:18
No one got it working?? :(

tdwyer11b did. See above.

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:19
Nope... no change..

tdwyer11b
April 23rd, 2007, 08:19
Don't think so, I had the beta prior to getting the release version. I think that might have something to do with it. The only prob I've seen so far is stuff I've created using the beta version isn't showing up.

longarms
April 23rd, 2007, 08:20
On the chance that a dev is reading this post, we should describe the problem to help him troubleshoot.

When I run updaterengine.exe in my FGII folder I get a message saying "Getting package listing" followed by "Done!"

Then, I press Done to close the window. On my desktop, there is a non-stylized default icon for FG2. When I double click that icon, windows cannot locate fantasygrounds.exe

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:21
Waited until midnight for nothing..

drkknight32
April 23rd, 2007, 08:21
Yeah there's some stuff about it on the support forum. They think it's a beta tester thing right now. That the program isn't used to non-beta keys

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:22
There are no files that get installed in the FG2 folder (not to mention that the folder it imports is created in the start menu, no where else)..

longarms
April 23rd, 2007, 08:22
Who wants to join me in a hunger strike until its fixed??

;)

Goblin-King
April 23rd, 2007, 08:23
Should work better now.

Dachannien
The desktop shortcut not working properly is apparently a totally different issue. My desktop shortcut points to the right place - I didn't change the install directory, so if you did, maybe that's the issue - but I get the short short version of the update process.

FlatNineSharpFive
Yeah there's some stuff about it on the support forum. They think it's a beta tester thing right now. That the program isn't used to non-beta keys

https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39193&postcount=4

longarms
Finally, I can eat again!

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:24
Thanks Goblin!! :)

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:24
Should work better now.

Well. It's changed...

It's crashing.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:25
At least we know the Devs are still awake.

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:25
I'm downloading... will update upon completion

Goblin-King
April 23rd, 2007, 08:26
Well. It's changed...

It's crashing.

Are you having problems with the updater or the program itself after the update? If the updater is not behaving, please run the installer itself again just to make sure the earlier problem isn't causing it.

kimba
just reinstalled and did not import either of the two old things and it seemed to go through

Haplo
Seems to be working fine so far... it's updating, fonts right now

kimba
April 23rd, 2007, 08:27
ah I was a bit late with that - Thanks Goblin!

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:29
Are you having problems with the updater or the program itself after the update? If the updater is not behaving, please run the installer itself again just to make sure the earlier problem isn't causing it.

I'm having problems with the updater. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and nothing changes.

tdwyer11b
April 23rd, 2007, 08:31
Hey Goblin, I have several created modules that were built using the FG2 beta and a bunch of FUM tokens that aren't showing up. I can go into the folder and the files are there but when I bring up FG2, nothing shows.

kimba
April 23rd, 2007, 08:32
just got an erro after it got to updating icons/icon_gridoff.png

Mellock
April 23rd, 2007, 08:33
I'm having problems with the updater. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and nothing changes.

Have you downloaded the new installer, or are you just running your first download again? :)

Haplo
April 23rd, 2007, 08:35
I'm in and working... installed from a pristine version of the full1.5 patch

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:38
Have you downloaded the new installer, or are you just running your first download again? :)

This is from the new installer.

Goblin-King
April 23rd, 2007, 08:38
Hey Goblin, I have several created modules that were built using the FG2 beta and a bunch of FUM tokens that aren't showing up. I can go into the folder and the files are there but when I bring up FG2, nothing shows.
All the data files (as opposed to the executables) are now under application data files on your profile (for compatibility with Vista among other reasons). Please make sure you put them there.

On XP, it's under [Drive letter]:\Documents and Settings\[Account name]\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II. There should also be a start menu shortcut pointing there.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:41
Is it possible my problem installing has something to do with port forwarding on my router?

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:43
It crashes after the updater gets to:

Checking package d20 for updates.

Goblin-King
April 23rd, 2007, 08:47
It crashes after the updater gets to:

Checking package d20 for updates.

This should mean that the connection to the update server is ok and properly identifies your license. The problem is more likely to be in something related to writing the files on your disk. Which version of Windows are you running? Are you installing to the standard location under Program Files?

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:49
This should mean that the connection to the update server is ok and properly identifies your license. The problem is more likely to be in something related to writing the files on your disk. Which version of Windows are you running? Are you installing to the standard location under Program Files?

I'm running XP home. I didn't do anything but keep hitting "next" at install.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:52
I also did a restart, just in case. Nothing.

kimba
April 23rd, 2007, 08:52
third time was teh charm - ran the updater 3 times and it finaly came up. THanks.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 08:54
third time was teh charm - ran the updater 3 times and it finaly came up. THanks.
Yeah. I remember back when I'd only run the updater 3 times.

Those were the good ol' days.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 09:02
Is anyone else running a legal version of XP home?

Mellock
April 23rd, 2007, 09:04
Is anyone else running a legal version of XP home?

I am, actually. I'm just that kind of guy.

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2007, 09:23
Okay. Got it to work.

I reinstalled 1.05f. Somehow that helped.

Somehow.

mr_h
April 23rd, 2007, 14:00
Releasing a brand new product on a work day should be illegal.

*looks about, quietly installs on his work machine*

Paxar
April 23rd, 2007, 16:32
Releasing a brand new product on a work day should be illegal.

*looks about, quietly installs on his work machine*
I believe it is in Japan. Some products anyway.