PDA

View Full Version : Access private info by logging in as a different player

Milmoor
June 13th, 2020, 20:25
As a DM, I hand out some notes to certain players only. I just realized it's not the character, not the player, but the players name which get the note. So a player would log in under the name of the different player, they would have access to all their notes. As a IT person myself, it feels like a backdoor in security. The players name is both visible, and the key for accessing private info. Strange...
Just tested this, since I had to hand out notes to a player currently not logged in. You can only hand out notes to someone logged in. Or to someone impersonating someone. Which I did, and this worked. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that I found this.

Moon Wizard
June 13th, 2020, 20:39
In FGC, you can sign in as any name, so you can potentially sign in as another user and view notes/characters.
In FGU, you can only sign in with a valid FG name, so this would only happen if people are sharing a login.

Regards,
JPG

Milmoor
June 13th, 2020, 21:16
Good. Will I be able to share info with someone not online? That way I can distribute the notes during preparation time, instead of having to wait till just before the session.

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2020, 21:23
You can 'preshare' things when the players are not on line. Just select the share option. However you can only share something with an individual player when they are online and connected to your game.

Eidt: Actually you can probably start a second instance of FG; join your own game using localhost; grab the character you want to share stuff with and then use the drag/drop to share it with that player. I think that works.

damned
June 14th, 2020, 02:46
If a player were to do this it could only be deliberate.
That player should be told in no uncertain terms that this behavior is childish, unsportsmanlike and will not be tolerated.

Willot
June 14th, 2020, 08:37
Yeah, who is this person? Pearce Hawthorn?

Pearce Hawthorn! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-lLOwSrwgk)

Trenloe
June 14th, 2020, 12:03
Actually you can probably start a second instance of FG; join your own game using localhost; grab the character you want to share stuff with and then use the drag/drop to share it with that player. I think that works.
This would work in FGC only if you joined the GM instance with a player name that matches the name the player uses to join FG - which the GM can get by looking at the owning player name of each PC in the Character Selection window. So, yes it can be done, and is a nice side-effect of the current "bad" FGC functionality the OP mentions. As mentioned, in FGU, this isn't possible as the player name is their FG account.

Milmoor
June 14th, 2020, 12:53
Sorry, I was unclear. My follow up question was about FGU. In FGC, I can impersonate a player, to hand out materials. I would very much like to do pre-share something in FGU as well.

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2020, 02:20
Sorry, I was unclear. My follow up question was about FGU. In FGC, I can impersonate a player, to hand out materials. I would very much like to do pre-share something in FGU as well.
In FGU you can only pre-share information to all characters. You can not selectively share it to individuals.

Milmoor
June 15th, 2020, 16:36
In FGU you can only pre-share information to all characters. You can not selectively share it to individuals.

That's a shame. Going to find that wish list and add this to it. It's hard enough to get everyone online at the same time for session, preparation time is not scheduled. Sometimes they do have some homework for which they need private material.

Milmoor
June 19th, 2020, 14:13
Added the wish to the list, you can vote for it on https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=133864.