PDA

View Full Version : Need a VTT Solution with Mac Support

seansps
June 13th, 2020, 18:08
I'm trying to determine which VTT to go with, currently torn between Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds.

One of my requirements is that there is MacOS support for my players that use it.

I really like everything I am seeing about Fantasy Grounds with regards to the automation, and all the use of the rules that Roll20 simply lacks. It looks like Roll20 does have some integration with the PHB and MM, but lacks a lot of what FG offers in terms of content. I'd be prepared to get Fantasy Grounds Unity, as well as all the content for the automation features, since it supports MacOS, but it seems like there are *many* issues with connectivity (from perusing the Support forum.)

My question is for people in a similar situation-- when you have players that use Apple products, do you simply just go with Roll20 or some other solution? Is FGU ready in the early-access state? Curious as to what other's thoughts are.

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2020, 18:44
Hi seansps welcome to FG.

Users experiences vary so it's hard to say one way or another. Bearing in mind also that those that do have an issue are likely to report it whilst those that don't have issue are not. So it is hard to gauge just how the overall experience is. Your best plan I think at this stage is to take out a 1 month subscription for the Ultimate license and get your players to download the demo. If all goes well you can move forward; if it doesn't then you can cancel and get a refund of the $10 under the 30 day money back guarantee.

seansps
June 13th, 2020, 18:49
Thanks for the suggestion! I think that’s a good idea moving forward. You’re right that it’s hard to gauge how well it’s working for most users currently - though I do hope any issues with FGU can be ironed out soon.

HywelPhillips
June 13th, 2020, 21:22
I have had no big problems hosting games on FGU on a high-end iMac (Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra). I've only had one bug that would have been severe enough to stop me running a game on game night (a bunch of font errors) but the devs fixed that in ample time for the next week's game.

Follow the advice to only update AFTER you play a game on game night and get everyone into the cycle of doing that. It's a smoother experience for me in FGU than Fantasy Grounds Classic because it is a native Mac app.

Foundry has a bunch of Mac-specific issues for me running in its default state. I couldn't get it out of full screen mode meaning the Mac system top menu bar obscured vital bits of Foundry interface and the choice of CTRL or CMD keys for stuff seems a bit random case by case.

Astral and Roll20 have no Mac specific issues that I've found so long as you run it in one of their supported browsers (i.e. not in Safari, although Safari seems to work OK for Roll20 for me in fact), but as you say neither have even 5% of the automation and campaign organisation features of Fantasy Grounds.

A few unlucky folk do seem to have major connection or performance issues with FGU but for me it's run well for several months and I've hosted a fair few hours of games.

seansps
June 13th, 2020, 21:26
Awesome thanks for all the info! That’s good to hear about them fixing issues fast.

I think I’m going to give FGU a shot. And if it looks like it’ll work- make the plunge and buy the add ons. It looks great from what I’ve watched on demo videos.

roomtone
June 17th, 2020, 00:29
I use a Mac to run a game and most of my players use a Mac. Unity has a bug here and there, but nothing not workable and they are working those out as we speak. We did have some major problems connecting one night, though. But, after that I switched to everyone connecting directly via my IP (which has you do a port redirect on your router. It's easy and you only need to do it once and then done) and we have had zero issues since. In fact, even if they iron out any lingering server issues I would still recommend you do the direct IP method unless you want to host or play games with people not your direct friends.

seansps
June 19th, 2020, 01:28
Thanks! Yeah, I just got FGU and tested direct IP after opening ports.

Connection seemed pretty solid. I had one of my laptops using my phone’s data to simulate another player, and I saw no lag. It was really quite smooth.

Just started learning the features and super impressed so far.