PDA

View Full Version : How Do Quests Work?

Hyperventilator
June 12th, 2020, 10:52
There seems to be no information anywhere on how quests work. Where and how do I assign them, so that my players see active quests?

How do I award quests, when they are complete? The User manual says context menu, but there is no context button for awarding.

Trenloe
June 12th, 2020, 11:00
You don’t say which ruleset you’re using. When posting in generic forums please mention the ruleset.

For 5E there’s some info at the bottom of this section on awarding quest XP: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/819336/5E+Party+Sheet#XP-Tab

To assign them you can share the quest record with everyone via the usuals share method or an individual PC (drag/drop to their portrait). Unshare (click the P or S share icon to the right of the quest record in the campaign data list) once the quest is complete.

Hyperventilator
June 12th, 2020, 11:59
Yes, sorry. 5E.

I don't use Unity, so I hadn't seen that guide, but it seems to work in Classic, too. Thanks!

Will awarded quests appear in the characters' log page, or is the log meant for something else?

Trenloe
June 12th, 2020, 12:12
The log is meant for tracking adventures, not individual XP assignment. It originated as part of Adventurers League organized play, as a place to track each one-off organized play adventure they took part in - hence why the top two fields are Faction and DCI#. Create a new adventure in there, click the link and see what type of info it allows you to manually track.

Hyperventilator
June 12th, 2020, 12:57
The log is meant for tracking adventures, not individual XP assignment. It originated as part of Adventurers League organized play, as a place to track each one-off organized play adventure they took part in - hence why the top two fields are Faction and DCI#. Create a new adventure in there, click the link and see what type of info it allows you to manually track.

Thank you, I'll try that out!

LordEntrails
June 12th, 2020, 17:18
You can also drag the quest to the party sheet XP section to award it to the party.

Hyperventilator
June 13th, 2020, 19:22
You can also drag the quest to the party sheet XP section to award it to the party.

I've got a question about that: Do the pre-made FG adventure modules use milestone XP or encounter XP system? It seems that a module I have bought (Phandelver) has XP in quests AND encounters! Or do Fantasy Grounds modules implement some kind of hybrid XP system where I'm supposed to award XP from both encounters and quests?

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2020, 19:28
Whether you use the milestone method or XP method is up to you. All FG modules have encounters and quests but you do not need to award any of those to your players if you want to use the milestone method. Many of the adventures say when your players should level up using the milestone method - others don't. But it is up to you which one you want to use. FG doesn't care whether you award XP from encounters and quests or whether you just level up at certain points. You can do either.

Note also that the FG modules are the same as the written ones. The text isn't changed in any way.

Bonkon
June 13th, 2020, 19:28
I've got a question about that: Do the pre-made FG adventure modules use milestone XP or encounter XP system? It seems that a module I have bought (Phandelver) has XP in quests AND encounters! Or do Fantasy Grounds modules implement some kind of hybrid XP system where I'm supposed to award XP from both encounters and quests?

Good Day Hyperventilator :)
I believe that using Milestone advancement is a DM option. So if you want to use that, just don't use the Exp, if you want to use Exp just share it as it is gained. I have played and DM'd both ways so it is a choice the DM should make. :)

Hyperventilator
June 13th, 2020, 20:29
Good Day Hyperventilator :)
I believe that using Milestone advancement is a DM option. So if you want to use that, just don't use the Exp, if you want to use Exp just share it as it is gained. I have played and DM'd both ways so it is a choice the DM should make. :)

Good day, sir! So the default method is to award XP from both quests and encounters. And if I wanted to use milestone XP then I would disregard both. Is that correct?

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2020, 20:29
Good day, sir! So the default method is to award XP from both quests and encounters. And if I wanted to use milestone XP then I would disregard both. Is that correct?

Yes. See post #8

Hyperventilator
June 14th, 2020, 14:02
Yes. See post #8

My apologies, somehow I missed your reply. You say that FG modules are the same as in book form but I'm guessing that book versions don't have quests like in FG?

Zacchaeus
June 14th, 2020, 14:19
My apologies, somehow I missed your reply. You say that FG modules are the same as in book form but I'm guessing that book versions don't have quests like in FG?

Some do and some don't. In some modules I have added quests in order that the DM and players can keep an eye on what the goals are.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2020, 16:39
To be clear - there's no "default" way of handling XP/leveling in FG. FG doesn't automatically track XP, no does it tell you when a PC has enough XP to level. If you don't do anything at all, then the PCs will stay at level 1 with 0 xp.

If you want to use XP from encounters and quests, then use them via the party sheet and the players will need to keep an eye on when their XP is enough to level up.

If you want to use milestone leveling, then tell the players when they can level up their PCs.