PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Module Management

Hyperventilator
June 11th, 2020, 13:20
Hello,

Another noob question, if I may: If I buy and run an adventure module for 5E, like The Lost Mine of Phandelver, do the players have to load that module in their client, too?

After the adventure is over, can I unload the module, or will we lose all the NPCs of the town of Phalander and custom treasure found in that module? Or do I keep the module loaded for the rest of the campaign?

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2020, 13:44
Only the DM needs the module loaded. Do not share the adventure module with the players otherwise they''ll be able to read it and know what's coming.

It's up to you what you do when the adventure is done. You don't need to keep the module open; any custom items you have created will still be available in the campaign. If you want to continue using NPCs from the module in another campaign then you would want to keep it open.

Talyn
June 11th, 2020, 16:23
Adventures are never seen by players anyway (unless the GM overrides that and shares it anyway -- hint: DON'T DO THAT) they're just for the GM to read.

When you're finished with any adventure, sure unload it to save resources on your computer. All default data contained within that adventure will be unloaded with it (NPCs, items) unless you've modified them in some way, in which case your edited versions continue to 'live' within your campaign database. Also note that when I say things like items are unloaded, that just means the default data items from the adventure are unloaded. If you've awarded items to characters, those are 'copies' and will not be removed from the characters' inventory (indeed there isn't a mechanism to do that anyway).

Hyperventilator
June 11th, 2020, 19:58
Thank you for the helpful replies!