PDA

View Full Version : SWADE: any automation for newly-created NPCs?

Galdor
June 10th, 2020, 14:12
I tried to create some new NPCs and putting some edges and items on them: it looks that there are no automation for edges, items, neither for parry (it does not modify according to Fighting skill) etc

Doswelk
June 10th, 2020, 15:31
There is no automation for NPCs in SW.

This is because NPCs in Savage Worlds DO NOT follow any rules on how they are created, NPCs should be stated how you want, they are not restricted to requirements for Edges, there is no limit on what that stats can be.

If you want a character with Fighting d4 and a parry of 20 (e.g. They have a Super Amulet of Defence) it is perfectly legal (for an NPC).

Galdor
June 10th, 2020, 15:43
There is no automation for NPCs in SW.

This is because NPCs in Savage Worlds DO NOT follow any rules on how they are created, NPCs should be stated how you want, they are not restricted to requirements for Edges, there is no limit on what that stats can be.

If you want a character with Fighting d4 and a parry of 20 (e.g. They have a Super Amulet of Defence) it is perfectly legal (for an NPC).
OK, but what about the Effects of edges/items/etc? For example, how can I give one of the Block effects (-1 GangUp bonus against him/her) to a NPC? If there is no automation I have to remind it every time a GangUp bonus could arise, keeping in mind to apply a -1 to the GangingUp attacks? Gosh..:cry:

lozanoje
June 10th, 2020, 21:42
OK, but what about the Effects of edges/items/etc? For example, how can I give one of the Block effects (-1 GangUp bonus against him/her) to a NPC? If there is no automation I have to remind it every time a GangUp bonus could arise, keeping in mind to apply a -1 to the GangingUp attacks? Gosh..:cry:

Edges and effects work as usual for NPC, so if you give an NPC the edge "Dodge", then all ranged attacks against the NPC will have a -2 penalty automatically. And if you set "Total defense" to an NPC in the Combat Tracker, will work as if it were a PC. Finally, you can create custom effect as "special abilities" to NPCs (see savage worlds effects wiki).

Gang-up bonus is also calculated counting npcs.

Lonewolf
June 11th, 2020, 19:43
can I give one of the Block effects (-1 GangUp bonus against him/her) to a NPC?
Gang up is a to hit modifier rather that effect. That being said "Against me effect expressions" still work to cancel it when parsed correctly. Therfore this should be applied to CT.

@Ganging Up -1

Galdor
June 11th, 2020, 21:43
Gang up is a to hit modifier rather that effect. That being said "Against me effect expressions" still work to cancel it when parsed correctly. Therfore this should be applied to CT.

@Ganging Up -1
You (and lozanoje) are saying that the "Ganging Up -1 against him/her" of the Block Edge is automatically calculated also for NPCs?!

Lonewolf
June 12th, 2020, 01:51
You (and lozanoje) are saying that the "Ganging Up -1 against him/her" of the Block Edge is automatically calculated also for NPCs?!Got warn everyone here. It is 1:43 in the morning and I doing maths. This is dangerous ! :pirate:
Here is a PC and NPC soldier in the attached picture. Both have block. There get jumped by 7 Goblins and a wolf.
First Goblin gets a Joker and aces on attack. Total to hit rolled 10 + 2 = 12. Add in a gang up of + 3 and thats 15.
PC has parry of 5, +1 for the block. Cancel one from gang up.
Output is to hit 14 vs 6. Hit with raise.

Our NPC is more lucky. To hit is a 3. +3 for gang up for a total of 6.
Soldier is Parry 5, +1 for block. Cancel 1 from gang up.
Output is 5 vs 6. Block edge saves him.

YMMV. Setting it up just right takes time and there a whole new set functionality on the CT just been rolled out. So it worth it to keep checking. A single test is no proof.

Dr0W
June 13th, 2020, 19:02
If I may add to this topic. Theres one issue some of you might not be aware of.

When trying that out using the GM client only, it works perfectly. The goblin has an edge with effects, like Block, and [@GangUp -1] kicks in. However during actual play you will find out that when a player attacks the goblin, the effect won't kick in. Check this example: First attack was made by the GM, second attack was made by a player. Same attack, same target.:

Why does it happen?
Because the player doesn't have access to the NPC sheet, so it doesn't know it has an effect affecting his attack.

One relatively bad solution would be sharing the NPC actor with the player.

As you can see, first attack by the player didn't apply the effect (The player doesn't know it's there), but then the droped the link to that NPC on chat, and now the player's client has access to that info, and then it calculated correctly.

So what can I do?
There are two good solutions. First one is to add that as gear. If you do that, when you drag the NPC to the CT, it will automatically put the effect on its entry. It will be visible there, therefore the Clients will be able to interact with it. This is specifically true if you want to use Shields, and you want players to be able to interact with it (Like hitting with a flail that has the [Ignore #Shield] effect).

Another solution, if you are feeling particularly sneaky, is to create an attack and add the effect to it. Attack info are shared to the clients, but players can't see it. You won't be using that attack, it's just going to be a placeholder for effects.

Note: I just noticed that in my pictures I removed the [Parry +1], you don't have to. The reason is that since it has block, I'd simply increase the NPC parry, just like Doswelk mentioned, and left only the relevant effect.

So, if the effects you are adding to NPCs are used only by the GM, for example, Infravision, or things that affects actions done by the GM, simply add the edge and it will work. But if it responds to an action done by a player, the solutions above might be of help.

Ikael
June 13th, 2020, 19:21
Thanks for the detailed report Dr0W. That is a bug. It should apply to all and in fact it is always GM who processes all attack and damage results (there is OOB framework that does it). I will be able to investigate further

Dr0W
June 13th, 2020, 19:24
I never took that as a bug, so I've never actually reported it ;), just thought that was how FG worked. But if you say it's a bug and will investigate, that's awesome news :D

Ikael
June 13th, 2020, 19:27
I implemented the OOB framework to get around issues just like this that GM doesn't need to share records. Although player rolls the dices, GM is requested to process results (because s/he has access to all records and secrets)

lozanoje
June 13th, 2020, 19:30
If I may add to this topic. Theres one issue some of you might not be aware of.

Absolutely a-ma-zing information, wouldnt have realized by myself, thank you. Also, does it affect the "Special Abilities" section? Is this information shared with clients?

Shouldnt this issue be patched in the official ruleset?

Lonewolf
June 13th, 2020, 19:39
I never took that as a bug, so I've never actually reported it ;), just thought that was how FG worked. But if you say it's a bug and will investigate, that's awesome news :D

That is exactly what we looking for. Same test but we don't get the same result and you explained why. So happy you took the time to jump in and test this again :D